ADVERTISEMENT

2023 US Open

You fellows definitely have an extensive GIF catalog.

Sopranos Starlink GIF by bmoore210

8. Almost every thread on this board turns into Iowa bashing no matter how unrelated the subject. Definition of obsession.
Definition is a fixed thought or idea. I don't think about Iowa until they are brought up. But I get your point Madden.

8. Almost every thread on this board turns into Iowa bashing no matter how unrelated the subject. Definition of obsession.

You seem to have an obsession with our obsession. So, to tell me your thoughts on the Iowa Messiah quitting at NCAA's? His mother loosing her freaking mind then going into hiding instead of standing up and stating she lost her mind, and simply ending the issue? How about Spencer being so hurt he had to quit instead of wrestling consolations yet showing up and competing at the US Open four weeks later? How about sending his father out with the most scripted interview I've ever seen to speak for him? How about his complete silence since that interview? Or perhaps the most ridiculous frown I've ever seen on person? Oh, and oddly, Pyles never asked the only question everyone wanted to know...What's wrong with Spencer?.
Animated GIF

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Man! I am salty this past week! Probably from all the great news in the transfer portal for some team. 🤬🤬 Anyway, just stirring the pot a little bit. But seriously, let’s talk about anything other than the 6th place finisher at 125. Did I do that right? I promise I won’t bring it up again.

Video example of how I feel about the transfers

Man! I am salty this past week! Probably from all the great news in the transfer portal for some team. 🤬🤬 Anyway, just stirring the pot a little bit. But seriously, let’s talk about anything other than the 6th place finisher at 125. Did I do that right? I promise I won’t bring it up again.

The sixth place finish was ancient history. Until he withdrew from the US Open right before the most anticipated match of the tournament without notice. And then his dad gave a very surreal and absurd attention-seeking 25 minute interview about the whole thing that put the same spotlight right back on the same issue.

Spencer isn't wrestling for Iowa anymore, he's wrestling for the USA. I want him to finally take the time he needs to heal up and be his best and represent our country. Oh, and also lock his parents in a basement dungeon or something.

star s reactions GIF

JM, I figured you might feel more like this given that the hits keep coming.

More like...
giphy.gif

Stuck behind enemy lines. I'll lay down some cover fire. You make a run for it. On 3. All I can say about the Spencer stuff is that the people on this board must have been miles ahead of where I was at that age to be so critical. I'll be 50 in a little bit and the older I get the more I realize what I didn't know. Would it have been better if he wrestled in the consi's and spoke on his own behalf? Yeah, but it doesn't make me want to eviscerate him and his family. No one on this board has had moments of weakness in their life? Although it isn't doing him any service, I think that the fact that he is that bothered by other people's criticism is a strength not weakness. The type of people that live their lives impervious to criticism and self examination are generally the scourge of humanity. Jmadden, the LZ is 5 clicks due north. If I'm not there by 1500...bug out.

Last edited:
Stuck behind enemy lines. I'll lay down some cover fire. You make a run for it. On 3. All I can say about the Spencer stuff is that the people on this board must have been miles ahead of where I was at age to be so critical. I'll be 50 in a little bit and the older I get the more I realize what I didn't know. Would it have been better if he wrestled in the consi's and spoke on his own behalf? Yeah, but it doesn't make me want to eviscerate him and his family. No one on this board has had moments of weakness in their life? Although it isn't doing him any service, I think that the fact that he is that bothered by other people's criticism is a strength not weakness. The type of person that lives their life impervious to criticism and self examination are generally the scourge of humanity. Jmadden, the LZ is 5 clicks due north. If I'm not there by 1500...bug out.
jail-hannibal-lecter.gif

Too late.

JS - I am really starting to feel bad for you on this one. "It's been over a month.... ". REALLY? Not only is that stoakng the coals in the wrong fire, but it's as if you have no introspection when typing something so idiotic.

It's seems you are in for an very uncomfortable period my friend. How long is unknown, but it won't be brief. Maybe I can help, probably not. I remember some Steelers missques like a punt return after a penalty vs New England that probably cost them a trip to the Superbowl, that hung with me for years, until I matured and got a much stronger sense of the greatest perspective, especially as this applies to what are just games. I hope your journey there is quicker.

Some self reflection is in order, before helping the rest of the wrestling world getting over it's "obsession" with Spencer Lee.

When you think about it, it's been 50 years, and Dan Gable's last match is still brought up here an there on the all of the more prominent boards and venues, at least every now and then. I am sorry my friend but this one ain't just going away, and Spencer did it twice to help reinforce the point.

I first heard of Spencer when he was still a freshman in highschool, and my fandom was brought to a crescendo that came crashing down with the revelation he chose Iowa. I remained a fan, granted less emotionally involved with that decision.

Spencer was and remains arguably the most prominent and provactaive (in some respects) 'personality' in folkstyle wrestling over the past couple of decades, more so than Gable S, Yanni, DT, and other GOATS, with better records by the way. Some of this due to a carefully crafted Rambo like persona. No doubt he is incredibly 'navy seal' like tough. What he has accomplished and what he has overcome is truly amazing.

However, when his very words result in the printing of Tee shirts, one can start to see the persona out pace the real thing. "Excuses are for wusses" probably can be copyrighted back to Spencer, if that hasn't already happened. You can't walk that kind of thing back, and that magical very public proclamation is as indelibly etched in the minds of wrestling fans, as much so is his mom's unfortunate meme. Both now are part of the Spencer Lee experience forever. Just as Tiger Wood's 7 iron to the head from his wife, remains at the forefront along with every Master's victory. For some the 7 Iron episode may be that very first thought when you hear the name Tiger Woods. Fair? Certainly not. 'With great power comes great responsibility'. You can't simply walk back the stuff that bites you in the ass when you walk in the spotlight.

Spencer gave credit where credit is due of course to Ramos which was excellent, but he and his surrogates have also continued to reinforce the notion he is injured and not 100%. So even though Ramos earned it, a fully healthy Spencer would have easily taken him out. Probably so. Personally I don't think he has been 100% his whole college career, certainly this past year he was far from optimal. I also think he came back too early, and should have taken a medical.

That said he has pulled all excuses off the table with his famous words. His even allowing his father to go out with this interview in an attempt to do god knows what, was simply foolish. Bailing out on two straight tourneys was both a bad idea and a bad look, probably not quite as bad on the idea front of having ever entered them in the first place.

Unfortunately for Spencer and his legacy, being a 4xer in the State and then Nationally is not his truth, not his story. A testment in some respects to just how difficult that achievement is, even if someone like Yanni got there via a seemingly less spectacular path. I also think it dissrespectful and disingenuous to think this Spencer Lee would have and should have been a 4xer and arguably the GOAT if not for Covid. This claims he is good enough for the 'label' in the face of this year's failure, but no matter it would have been good enough for them since this year should never have never happened?

Could Spencer have been good enough to get there? Given the right timing and circumstances I think Spencer had the foundation to have gone both undefeated and be a 4xer, but those same circumstances coupled with the decisions he made, eliminated both possibilities.

So back to 'it's been a month'.... In my youth my obsession and fervor for the Steelers was very intense and as a result unhealthy. For more than a decade, when they lost and it affected my life far too materially. When I was really young, I used to go to the games with my dad, and not so many years later after he died, that team served as my strongest connection to him in those days.

Today there are parts of me where I am still the same little kid who had to stand on the seat just to get a glimpse over the heads of the fans in front to experience glimpses of Franco Harris's immaculate reception live and in person with my dad. Today when they win, I really appreciate it, but when they lose it doesn't bother me so much. It's part of the game, and I no longer let games hold so much power over me.

Wrestling is just a game, and there has only been one to never lose. Only one, Nonetheless, all wins and losses are indelibly recorded in history. They can not be altered, asterisked, or obliterated. Spencer will forever be amongst a forever growing collection of the many 3xers. Here's a secret, every 3xer has a woulda, coulda, shoulda story that makes them a 4xer, the line between 3 and 4 is both razor thin and as wide as the grand canyon at the same time.

Bo Nickal tosses Miles to his back for what should be a 6 point lead or maybe fall like in their prior match, only to have Miles roll though for his own 6. A 12 point swing in the blink of an eye, which ended up being much larger than the difference in that championship match. Bo shoulda been a 4xer. He was certainly a LOT closer than Spencer. That said, he's not, Bo is one hell of a 3xer and he and his fans bask in that achievement. None of us fans look at Bo as if that loss signaled his failure. When I look at Bo and Yanni, I am confident today Bo is the better wrestler. Does being a 2xer or 3xer or 4xer matter that much? Not unless that's how you choose to define the person. Who doesn't think DT isn't one of the best wrestlers on this planet? Does it really matter he only got 2 instead of 4? It certainly doesn't matter to me when I see those gold medals around his neck.

At the end of the day Spencer got 3, at his peak he was the best 125 lber I have ever seen. I hope his knees are up to the challenge of putting him on a path to a World or Olympic gold. From where I stand I have doubts about both.

In the end, there can be no regrets. Sure he lost two of the biggest matches in his life, as did David Taylor. Don't let those matches define him in your mind. People will talk about those matches and some of his failures for years to come.

Thinking the bad will just fade away in a month is just plain silly. Don't wait for HVI to move on, you should do so first.

PS - that has to be my longest one. To those who made it though, we need to talk about Internet addiction. Noone sits on the toilet that long without the wife banging on the door.
I feel.bad for him too. The rest? I'm waiting on the audio version..

Lol. J/k

Reactions: danoftw
I feel.bad for him too. The rest? I'm waiting on the audio version..

Lol. J/k
I felt worse for Ayala after he "got what he wanted" and it was made public by his teammate. LLLLLLee had tons of success. Now he can know what the rest of the field feels like. It is a life lesson for him if Lar lets him learn it instead of helicopter parenting him his entire life.

Stuck behind enemy lines. I'll lay down some cover fire. You make a run for it. On 3. All I can say about the Spencer stuff is that the people on this board must have been miles ahead of where I was at that age to be so critical. I'll be 50 in a little bit and the older I get the more I realize what I didn't know. Would it have been better if he wrestled in the consi's and spoke on his own behalf? Yeah, but it doesn't make me want to eviscerate him and his family. No one on this board has had moments of weakness in their life? Although it isn't doing him any service, I think that the fact that he is that bothered by other people's criticism is a strength not weakness. The type of people that live their lives impervious to criticism and self examination are generally the scourge of humanity. Jmadden, the LZ is 5 clicks due north. If I'm not there by 1500...bug out.
As long as I am doing the next right thing, what others think of me is none of my effin business.

I worked on the track in the mid seventies (Thoroughbreds). ThunderBird was the favorite on the shed-row. The saying was: "What's the word?...Thunderbird! What's the price?...37 twice!" I used to laugh when I'd hear that at 6 in the morning. A bottle was $0.74 so if you could find someone to split a bottle you'd only need 37 cents each. I wonder what they're drinking on the backside today?

Oh, and wasn't Strawberry Hill a Boone's Farm product? If so, they also had an Apple version. Brings back to shivers.

I worked on the track in the mid seventies (Thoroughbreds). ThunderBird was the favorite on the shed-row. The saying was: "What's the word?...Thunderbird! What's the price?...37 twice!" I used to laugh when I'd hear that at 6 in the morning. A bottle was $0.74 so if you could find someone to split a bottle you'd only need 37 cents each. I wonder what they're drinking on the backside today?

Oh, and wasn't Strawberry Hill a Boone's Farm product? If so, they also had an Apple version. Brings back to shivers.
My liver hurts just reading some of this.

It was indeed. Nehi Grape soda was my favorite drink.......until I got completely trashed on Wild Mountain Grape. I couldn't even smell grape for years without getting nauseous. Good times......not :)

Takes me back. I was in NYC 3-4 months of IBM training in 69-70. Returning to my hotel every night I stopped at a Deli, got a Hot Pastrami and a bottle of Ripple. Ripple was essentially Kool Aid with a punch.

I finally got to see the U20 57 kg final. I sure hope Luke L's freestyle savvy translates to folkstyle. Volk appeared much larger. He's a world champ, so he's probably pretty good. But Luke had an answer to everything Volk had to offer. Luke threw a honey of an ankle pick. And he has really impressive defensive skills.

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT