ADVERTISEMENT

2023 US Open

I’d love to know what Mom and Dad had to do with that situation. At age 15, I couldn’t imagine doing something of this nature without my Mom and Dad weighing in and giving guidance. If those controls were not in place, another red flag. These are kids for God’s sake. Teach them right from wrong.
Probably zero.

I knew twins at PSU who subbed for each other on dates. Doubt their parents had anything to do with that either.

I think this is a big deal and deserves some kind of suspension. This was a case of blatantly cheating at a premier national tournament. If I were in charge, I’d suspend them from any Team USA freestyle events for at least a calendar year.

How would people feel if the kids took steroids? Would we say “they are only 15, no big deal.” They cheated. Got caught. They deserve to be suspended. Not forever, but something significant.

I think this is a big deal and deserves some kind of suspension. This was a case of blatantly cheating at a premier national tournament. If I were in charge, I’d suspend them from any Team USA freestyle events for at least a calendar year.

How would people feel if the kids took steroids? Would we say “they are only 15, no big deal.” They cheated. Got caught. They deserve to be suspended. Not forever, but something significant.
I'd be ok if this guy had to walk them to the scales for every weigh-in for the next year

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Bingo. They made a mistake and should face consequences.

Also it's not a forever stain on them. They shouldn't be branded as red flags. Their parents are not failures. One incident doesn't make them the Downeys.

If the behavior continues, that's a different story.

Probably zero.

I knew twins at PSU who subbed for each other on dates. Doubt their parents had anything to do with that either.
I dated a twin while in college. You mean I may have slept with both of them? Were the twins you knew Pi Phi's?

Was there any consequence for the coach? It seems the “adult in charge “ should have some responsibility in the situation
I totally get this sentiment, but I'm fairly positive coaches aren't allowed all throughout weigh-ins. And... Major tournament weigh-ins are an absolute cluster****. They could have easily gotten in line, the heavy one just kept standing in line while the other gained possession of both USA cards/weigh-in slips. The adult easily could've had no clue.

Not making excuses for anybody (as this is kinda serious IMO... not serious enough for a huge punishment, but does need serious addressing), but as a coach... They could've been pulling a fast one on the adults in their circle, too.

I totally get this sentiment, but I'm fairly positive coaches aren't allowed all throughout weigh-ins. And... Major tournament weigh-ins are an absolute cluster****. They could have easily gotten in line, the heavy one just kept standing in line while the other gained possession of both USA cards/weigh-in slips. The adult easily could've had no clue.

Not making excuses for anybody (as this is kinda serious IMO... not serious enough for a huge punishment, but does need serious addressing), but as a coach... They could've been pulling a fast one on the adults in their circle, too.
Interesting- I didn’t know coaches aren’t part of the weigh-in process. I’m a volleyball mom 😅

If the coaches didn't know about this can you imagine the workout they'd get the next week in practice??
Angry Will Ferrell GIF

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
When I was 15, weigh-ins were a joke. In Jr. Hi we were weighed in in the morning by the AD. We had this big meat scale. The counter weights had a hole in the bottom that were exactly the size of a quarter. That gained everyone about a half a pound. I don't think my little brother ever came close to being on weight. He'd get on the scale, the AD would be moving the slide and looking closely. There was guy on the HS team who always came to the Jr Hi weigh-ins. He would sidle up to my brother who was on the scale and lift his elbow. It was embarrassing the way the weight would drop just as the AD slid the scale down to 75 pounds. He never caught on - or he didn't care.

Reactions: slushhead
I still can't figure out what OIHO is.
I can't do my family dirty by posting the pic, but my brother inlaw is from Columbus and of course a giant bucknut fan. Once recently when he and his 3 boys came for a visit to State College, they thought it'd be cute for them to get a pic spelling Ohio "YMCA" style in front of Old Main. I was thrilled to be the photographer when I realized they made this exact same spelling error. That pic has gotten a LOT of miles. Bottom line: spelling in the public schools must be like getting off bottom, over there..... 🤣

I can't do my family dirty by posting the pic, but my brother inlaw is from Columbus and of course a giant bucknut fan. Once recently when he and his 3 boys came for a visit to State College, they thought it'd be cute for them to get a pic spelling Ohio "YMCA" style in front of Old Main. I was thrilled to be the photographer when I realized they made this exact same spelling error. That pic has gotten a LOT of miles. Bottom line: spelling in the public schools must be like getting off bottom, over there..... 🤣
Should be a flag for not posting the pic. But, I’m picking it up since you apparently took the pic without correcting their spelling.👍

Reactions: nerfstate
First we have Spencer's dad holding an interview (post #504 in this thread in case you missed it) with Pyles acting as a facilitator yet neglecting to ask the only question that needed to be asked that being "What's wrong with Spencer?".

Now we have an 8 minute long video of Pyles defending Spencer. Why is he doing this? Is he being paid by an Iowa booster? Perhaps Lar offered to let him see the binder?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT