ADVERTISEMENT

Psubiomed

Jul 25, 2021
Can anyone provide an update on what might happen here? From my understanding, Howard is off to a bit of a slow start, but is healthy? Then we have last year's starter Gary Steen, and newcomer Braedyn Davis, who defeated Steen, but has not wrestled Robbie yet? Or have they already wrestled off? Then I believe we have McHenry the Osu transfer?

Who gets the start for the first dual meet? Has their been a wrestle off? Can Howard recover from the slow start?

Can anyone provide an update on what might happen here? From my understanding, Howard is off to a bit of a slow start, but is healthy? Then we have last year's starter Gary Steen, and newcomer Braedyn Davis, who defeated Steen, but has not wrestled Robbie yet? Or have they already wrestled off? Then I believe we have McHenry the Osu transfer?

Who gets the start for the first dual meet? Has their been a wrestle off? Can Howard recover from the slow start?
McHenry transferred in from Michigan. Beyond that I can only speculate, so I'll sit back and let it play out.

Reactions: Cenosillicaphobia
McHenry transferred in from Michigan. Beyond that I can only speculate, so I'll sit back and let it play out.
We have like 5 guys on the roster so I feel like we AT LEAST qualify the weight this year.

"What happens in the room stays in the room." Cael Sanderson - November 2023

"We know nothing, nothing" Sgt Schultz - Cica 1960s

• Haha
Reactions: Psubiomed

Howard's "slow start" is one preseason tournament. I wouldn't put too much stock in that. If he is 100% healthy, of course he can recover from that, but the "if" part of that has always been the issue. I really hope he is healthy because he is an AA contender if healthy.

If Howard isn't the guy, I think the consensus is that McHenry would be the best next option, with Davis nipping at his heels as a highly regarded recruit. I think there was also talk of Davis going 133 before Nagao transferred. Steen was a warrior but overmatched at the top level last year. We know he can at least hold his own if called on again. If there is a all-time legend matchup where we need someone to dive in on a single, go for a cradle, and look for the pin right off the opening whistle, Vespa could be an option there, too.

McHenry was the highest-ranked recruit of the bunch, but the talk on him is that he would be a much better 118lber, if that were still a thing. Not sure why we haven't seen him yet--could be any number of reasons, so I won't speculate.

There were wrestleoffs--at least for several weights--they were behind closed doors, but Jeff Byers uncharacteristically spoke freely of a few results while calling matches in Bethlehem over the weekend. The only 125lb result I heard then was that Davis pinned Steen (and then beat him 10-3 in the actual event).

Reactions: goldenanimal
McHenry was the highest-ranked recruit of the bunch, but the talk on him is that he would be a much better 118lber, if that were still a thing. Not sure why we haven't seen him yet--could be any number of reasons, so I won't speculate.

There were wrestleoffs--at least for several weights--they were behind closed doors, but Jeff Byers uncharacteristically spoke freely of a few results while calling matches in Bethlehem over the weekend. The only 125lb result I heard then was that Davis pinned Steen (and then beat him 10-3 in the actual event).
I thought Byers said that Howard beat Davis in a wrestle off.

Reactions: nerfstate
I thought Byers said that Howard beat Davis in a wrestle off.
I never heard that. Does not mean he didn't say it, only that I didn't hear it. Personally I believe that Cael needs to listen to us, instead of himself and his staff: We know more, we have a plan, and we have the proven track record.

Yes, in fact we should be making the decisions, not the all time greatest wrestler ever and the all time Greatest coach ever. Nope. Us, dats who!

Reactions: mcpat and bwfight
I have a feeling, based on nothing, that we will never see McHenry on the mat. Probably a bad example (because academics were the issue), but there was moderate interest in getting Will Betancourt out there, but it never emerged. It just wouldn’t surprise me…

I have a feeling, based on nothing, that we will never see McHenry on the mat. Probably a bad example (because academics were the issue), but there was moderate interest in getting Will Betancourt out there, but it never emerged. It just wouldn’t surprise me…
Christ Almighty the kid just got here let's cut him some slack man.

What he did say on the journeyman broadcast was that Davis was not only exciting but on the cusp of being a great wrestler and we are going to love watching him.

Reactions: Psubiomed
What he did say on the journeyman broadcast was that Davis was not only exciting but on the cusp of being a great wrestler and we are going to love watching him.
And as always we will have no clue what is happening until March when Cael puts our 25 pounder on the podium in KC 😂

I just don't think McHenry is in this conversation when we are talking about Davis and Howard. I don't see him beating either. He was a force in HS, but not so much in college. I'd be curious to see the Steen/McHenry match, as I think that is closer than McHenry and the other two

I just don't think McHenry is in this conversation when we are talking about Davis and Howard. I don't see him beating either. He was a force in HS, but not so much in college. I'd be curious to see the Steen/McHenry match, as I think that is closer than McHenry and the other two
Well if you are right then it's between Robbie and Brayden.

Of course it will probably be Steen taking the mat in March 😂

I believe that Kurt won the 125 spot at Michigan last year. He defeated Medley at the Mich State Open and was in the lineup until he got injured at Cliff Keen.

Before taking an MFOR to Ungar, he lost to Figueroa in OT. That was the last time he took the mat.

I'm not saying he will be our guy, but if it comes to that, he could be a NQ.

McHenry was impressive in HS, I hoped at the time we would get him.

IMO his lackluster career so far is a result of two things. Injuries and being Undersized.

I think Kurt is currently battling yet another injury. 125 seems to be one weight where being undersized is more punitive than other weights (Beau may disagree).

I think if McHenry, 5 years older, is finally able to walk around in the mid-low 130s he may yet become a force if he can stay healthy. I would not yet assume he isn't our guy if Howard doesn't return to prime form or gets injured yet again.

My fear at 125 is navigating across the 3 (Howard, Davis, McHenry) and whomever it proves to be getting in enough matches to reach peak form and qualify. It seems from the official POV the slot is Howard's to lose, and one might assume this was based upon wrestleoffs (4-2 ?). The eye test leans Davis for me so far.

Come on man, cut him some slack, he just got here! 😀

I have no negative opinion of Kurt, and I hope he’s terrific. I hope he’s a late-bloomer and dominates 125 for us. I’m just skeptical that we’ll see him.

It would be nice to see Howard, Davis, and McHenry in the same bracket this Sunday. IIRC, those brackets aren't that big (The first round is R16, maybe), so it would be a pretty good litmus test of the pecking order as opposed to a very large tournament where certain paths may have a high degree of difficulty and others, not so much.

It would be nice to see Howard, Davis, and McHenry in the same bracket this Sunday. IIRC, those brackets aren't that big (The first round is R16, maybe), so it would be a pretty good litmus test of the pecking order as opposed to a very large tournament where certain paths may have a high degree of difficulty and others, not so much.
Lol, usually when our guys wrestle each other it causes more questions than it answers, like David vs Bo last year that went to OT

Or whatever Cael says.
My inside intel is telling me Cael is not very hands on with any decisions being made in the room. More of a "CEO" type than head coach, in reality. Things are going great now but expect a crash and burn after Q DT Ruth Zain Nolf Cenzo Bo RBY Nick CStar and AB are done.

Lol, usually when our guys wrestle each other it causes more questions than it answers, like David vs Bo last year that went to OT
I was not necessarily referring to head-to-heads. That's one piece of data, but what I was referring to is that in a small tournament they are more likely to record results against common opponents, which are really good data points for determining the starter.

Betancourt never was eligible like you mentioned so not apples to apples. He was never even rostered. I wouldn’t be shocked if he just lost a ton of credits from transferring twice in two years.

He also had no results whatsoever that shows he could beat any kind of NQ while McHenry has.

Few thoughts on Robbie beating Davis:

1. He is definitely not in 3 matches in a day shape, which explains why he looked good to open then bad to close.

2. Davis apparently pinned Gary in the wrestleoff then he majored him again. This was after Gary posted 2 tech falls, not over any world beaters but definitely a solid result for Gary, who I felt was going to win 4-2 squeakers when he does win.

3. Not trying to downplay Robbie but is it possible it was a respect thing for Braeden during a wrestleoff against the guy who has been here 4 years (I know shocking) coming off of shoulder surgery to basically not target his arm at all or maybe not go all out to try to win? I know wrestleoffs are supposed to be simulated live and there's no protection from scrambles but we know it's usually not the be all end all for coaches decisions right? Based on what I saw Sunday, I feel Braeden would win against Howard, pretty easily.

1. He is definitely not in 3 matches in a day shape, which explains why he looked good to open then bad to close.

2. Davis apparently pinned Gary in the wrestleoff then he majored him again. This was after Gary posted 2 tech falls, not over any world beaters but definitely a solid result for Gary, who I felt was going to win 4-2 squeakers when he does win.

3. Not trying to downplay Robbie but is it possible it was a respect thing for Braeden during a wrestleoff against the guy who has been here 4 years (I know shocking) coming off of shoulder surgery to basically not target his arm at all or maybe not go all out to try to win? I know wrestleoffs are supposed to be simulated live and there's no protection from scrambles but we know it's usually not the be all end all for coaches decisions right? Based on what I saw Sunday, I feel Braeden would win against Howard, pretty easily.
I get what you are saying, but do you really think Davis (or most people for that matter) are going to take it easy on someone, when wrestling for a chance to start on the #1 team in the country? I would absolutely respect Davis if he did that, but if it is me, I'm gunning for whatever I can to win that match (legally of course). I want to be on that mat for the best team in the country.

From my experience freshman make gains very quickly especially being in a room like PSU. I bet Davis went as hard as he could to beat Howard in the wrestle off. It’s not in these guys nature to hold back. I also think Davis is improving at a rapid pace. It’s only been a few weeks but it’s possible he is just going to pass Robbie by. Robbie will be a different guy as well though once he knocks off the rust. With not competing in almost 2 years it’s going to take a little time

I get what you are saying, but do you really think Davis (or most people for that matter) are going to take it easy on someone, when wrestling for a chance to start on the #1 team in the country? I would absolutely respect Davis if he did that, but if it is me, I'm gunning for whatever I can to win that match (legally of course). I want to be on that mat for the best team in the country.
I doubt any coach would want their guys to "take it easy" on someone like Robbie anyway because we know the competition is going to target his shoulder, so why not test it in a wrestleoff first? There is a big risk with putting the "no contact" jersey on some one in the room then throwing him to the wolves with no knowledge of how it will hold up under full competition intensity.

Reactions: jack66
Betancourt never was eligible like you mentioned so not apples to apples. He was never even rostered. I wouldn’t be shocked if he just lost a ton of credits from transferring twice in two years.

He also had no results whatsoever that shows he could beat any kind of NQ while McHenry has.
Yet there were still questions by many on here as to whether he could be an “answer” at 125. I don’t care whether he was rostered or not. I had no reason to believe that I would NOT see him wrestle for PSU.

And my prediction about McHenry is no different than my prediction that Carter and AB will win their 4th titles. It’s a prediction. I often see predictions here. If I could make a bet of $1 at 50-1 odds that we won’t see McHenry wrestle for PSU, I’d take the bet. In fact, I’d put $2 on it.

Yet there were still questions by many on here as to whether he could be an “answer” at 125. I don’t care whether he was rostered or not. I had no reason to believe that I would NOT see him wrestle for PSU.

And my prediction about McHenry is no different than my prediction that Carter and AB will win their 4th titles. It’s a prediction. I often see predictions here. If I could make a bet of $1 at 50-1 odds that we won’t see McHenry wrestle for PSU, I’d take the bet. In fact, I’d put $2 on it.
I'll take a 50:1 bet that McHenry wrestles for PSU before the end of January, and I would go with $20. I don't think we will find a bookie willing to go above 5 or 10:1 though. Maybe we should give Brands a call, I hear he has connections.

Reactions: baccafarmer
I'll take a 50:1 bet that McHenry wrestles for PSU before the end of January, and I would go with $20. I don't think we will find a bookie willing to go above 5 or 10:1 though. Maybe we should give Brands a call, I hear he has connections.
Alright, I’ll put my money where my mouth is. If McHenry steps on the mat in a PSU singlet, I’ll send you $20. If he never steps on the mat in PSU singlet, you send me $50. 2.5:1 odds.

I’m offering this knowing full well that I will lose my NCAA eligibility.

By the way, if McHenry trips on the way out and is done for the season, you win.

PSA: Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLING.

And for what it’s worth, based on one weekend and all this back-and-forth, I’m predicting that the Baby Face Assassin (TM) ultimately gets the spot and becomes the unlikely hero this season.

Reactions: baccafarmer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT