ADVERTISEMENT

The Second String Report

mcpat

Gold Member
Mar 13, 2021
Who was it that said at PSU there are national champions and guys that help make national champions? Here’s a salute to the non-starters in 23-24:

Donovan Ball
1-2 this year. Have to think he’s been a big part of AB’s success.

Josh Barr
15-0 while redshirting as a freshman. 11 wins by bonus. Beat current IM #12 Nolan. Look out 2024-2025.

Terrell Barraclough
12-2 this year. Beat current IM #12 Turley at 174 and current IM #9 Fish at 165. Lost only to Psycho (8-5) and #3 at 174 Griffith (2-1). And then there’s what he did in freestyle at US Open.

Brian Borden
8-6 on season. Five wins by bonus.

Lucas Cochran
12-2 on the season; 9 wins by bonus. Epic and dominant win over current IM #12 Slavikouski while giving up 50 lbs.

Aurelius Dunbar
2-4 on the season.

David Evans
12-3 this season; 6 wins by bonus. Losses to Kasak (4-2 and 2-1 TB) and current IM #17 Hines (6-4). Win over current IM #18 Composto.

AJ Fricchione
2-2 with a WBF

Kyison Garcia
3-2 with two wins by bonus.

Imran Heard
1-2

Robert Howard
3-4 with a fall. We’ll miss you Robbie.

Jack Kelly
3-3 with two falls

Matt Lee
5-3; four wins by bonus. Two losses to Barraclough (11-8 SV and 4-0) and one by FFT.

Timothy Levine
0-4

Kurt McHenry
1-2

Connor Pierce
7-6; four wins by bonus

Baylor Shunk
2-7; two wins by bonus

Gary Steen
6-3; five wins by bonus

Marco Vespa
0-2; epic TD last year and almost a cradle

Sean Wang
1-3 with a bonus win

The following “backups” and redshirts had no folkstyle matches this season:

Alex Facundo
Erik Gibson
Joe Lee
Karl Shindledecker
Branden Wentzel

Facundo, of course, has been very impressive in freestyle while on ORS, including a 3rd at the US Open.

My sincere apologies if I missed anyone.

Last edited:
Did i miss something? You posted “we’ll miss you Robbie” ? He leaving or done?
In a recent thread, I had asked about his status and a few folks responded he was done. Hope I’m / they’re wrong.

In a recent thread, I had asked about his status and a few folks responded he was done. Hope I’m / they’re wrong.
Thanks for this post....these are the unsung members of this team that drive Penn State's success. Sad that some will never see the spotlight here. Some on that list will be future starters, maybe some with other teams. Regardless, they are key members of this team and we owe our thanks to them.

One name on the list (no matches) that always puzzled me is Joe Lee. One time starter that never made the jump. Must admit that he frustrated me when he was starter, not because of effort or ability, but some mental lapses in close matches. But with a season of B10 experience I thought he would establish himself. Just shows you how tough the room is here.

Who was it that said at PSU there are national champions and guys that help make national champions? Here’s a salute to the non-starters in 23-24:

Donovan Ball

Josh Barr
15-0 while redshirting as a freshman. 11 wins by bonus. Beat current IM #12 Nolan. Look out 2024-2025.

Terrell Barraclough
12-2 this year. Beat current IM #12 Turley at 174 and current IM #9 Fish at 165. Lost only to Psycho (8-5) and #3 at 174 Griffith (2-1). And then there’s what he did in freestyle at US Open.

Brian Borden

Lucas Cochran
12-2 on the season; 9 wins by bonus. Epic and dominant win over current IM #12 Slavikouski while giving up 50 lbs.

Aurelius Dunbar
2-4 on the season.

David Evans
12-3 this season; 6 wins by bonus. Losses to Kasak (4-2 and 2-1 TB) and current IM #17 Hines (6-4). Win over current IM #18 Composto.

AJ Fricchione
2-2 with a WBF

Kyison Garcia

Imran Heard
1-2

Robert Howard

Jack Kelly
3-3 with two falls

Matt Lee
5-3; four wins by bonus. Two losses to Barraclough (11-8 SV and 4-0) and one by FFT.

Timothy Levine
0-4

Kurt McHenry
1-2

Connor Pierce
7-6; four wins by bonus

Baylor Shunk
2-7; two wins by bonus

Gary Steen
6-3; five wins by bonus

Marco Vespa

Sean Wang
1-3 with a bonus win

Alex Facundo
Erik Gibson
Joe Lee
Karl Shindledecker
Branden Wentzel

Facundo, of course, has been very impressive in freestyle while on ORS, including a 3rd at the US Open.

Great post!

Reactions: mcpat
I haven't heard any confirmation Howard is done and he wasn't introduced as a senior but it's possible he is graduating this spring or summer (he enrolled in 2020)

Donovan Ball

Josh Barr

Terrell Barraclough

Brian Borden

Lucas Cochran

Aurelius Dunbar
2-4 on the season.

David Evans

AJ Fricchione
2-2 with a WBF

Kyison Garcia

Imran Heard
1-2

Robert Howard

Jack Kelly
3-3 with two falls

Matt Lee

Timothy Levine
0-4

Kurt McHenry
1-2

Connor Pierce
7-6; four wins by bonus

Baylor Shunk
2-7; two wins by bonus

Gary Steen
6-3; five wins by bonus

Marco Vespa

Sean Wang
1-3 with a bonus win

Alex Facundo
Erik Gibson
Joe Lee
Karl Shindledecker
Branden Wentzel

Great post, just to highlight i thought Erik Gibson competed late in the season at the national Collegiate open. I thought he went 3-1 with a loss to Borden and 2 bonus wins. Likely unattached

I haven't heard any confirmation Howard is done and he wasn't introduced as a senior but it's possible he is graduating this spring or summer (he enrolled in 2020)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT