ADVERTISEMENT

Zags go down, someone's bubble just burst

Huge shocker last night, especially the facts that Gonzaga put up 90 ppg.

But they will definitely still be a 1 seed..

Reactions: TheGLOV
St Mary's with the big upset 60-47. Will Gonzaga still get a #1 seed?
For some reason St. Mary's always plays Gonzaga real tough, but honestly I'm not shocked over this loss. For decades I've always felt that West Coast basketball leans more towards a finesse style offense, with defense being soft and lacking. Think about this, with the exception of the UCLA dynasty teams during the late 60's and early 70's college BB has been dominated by the physical play of East Coast teams. Take the last 20 National Championship teams, none have gone west of Kansas and only twice did it go west of Pennsylvania. In two of my brackets I have Gonzaga getting beat in the Sweet 16 round and the other two I have them getting beat in the elite 8. JMHO

Last edited:
I’m very glad SM won. I don’t remember a year where the bubble teams had such weak resumes.

- Ohio State 18-13 (8-12)
- Indiana 17-14 (8-12)
- Texas 16-15 (8-10)

The fewer of these teams, the better.

For some reason St. Mary's always plays Gonzaga real tough, but honestly I'm not shocked over this loss. For decades I've always felt that West Coast basketball leans more towards a finesse style offense, with defense being soft and lacking. Think about this, with the exception of the UCLA dynasty teams during the late 60's and early 70's college BB has been dominated by the physical play of East Coast teams. Take the last 20 National Championship teams, none have gone west of Kansas and only twice did it go west of Pennsylvania. In two of my brackets I have Gonzaga getting beat in the Sweet 16 round and the other two I have them getting beat in the elite 8. JMHO

That’s impressive that you already have the bracket picked. What did the almanac say about who beat them and the score. I’m looking to revive my betting account.

Both teams were in the NCAAs regardless, so St Mary's win didn't burst anyone's bubble.
St Mary’s was very, very unlikely to dance with a loss last night. They needed that win.

They had the win over New Mexico St and not much else. Home losses to Harvard and Irvine. Lost at Pepperdine. Would have been 21-12 coming out of the WCC. I thought Palm and Lunardi were generous having them at the bottom of their 1st 4 out.

Last edited:
St Mary’s was very, very unlikely to dance with a loss last night. They needed that win.

They had the win over New Mexico St and not much else. Home losses to Harvard and Irvine. Lost at Pepperdine. Would have been 21-12 coming out of the WCC. I thought Palm and Lunardi were generous having them at the bottom of their 1st 4 out.

Perhaps. I'm assuming that the NCAA will weight their new NET rankings highly (could be a false assumption on my part - time will tell). St Mary's has a ranking in the 30s (Pomeroy has them 29), which I would expect would be enough to get them in.

Perhaps. I'm assuming that the NCAA will weight their new NET rankings highly (could be a false assumption on my part - time will tell). St Mary's has a ranking in the 30s (Pomeroy has them 29), which I would expect would be enough to get them in.
I expect them to use it similarly to how they used the RPI (a guide, a sorting tool, a way to separate teams on each extreme, etc). St Mary’s would have likely been left out in the past with s RPI in the mid-30s (their likely NET with a loss last night) and so little else on their resume.

That’s impressive that you already have the bracket picked. What did the almanac say about who beat them and the score. I’m looking to revive my betting account.
I think 2017 was an anomaly. If you want to gamble have them going down in the sweet 16, definitely in the Elite 8. Most betters will have them in the final 4 or the Championship game. JMHO.

Last edited:
I expect them to use it similarly to how they used the RPI (a guide, a sorting tool, a way to separate teams on each extreme, etc). St Mary’s would have likely been left out in the past with s RPI in the mid-30s (their likely NET with a loss last night) and so little else on their resume.

You could be right. Let's see what their seed is. That might give us some idea if they were on the bubble or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT