ADVERTISEMENT

WOW - Rutgers requiring all to be vaxed before returning to campus in fall!!!

Good for Rutgers. Excellent decision. Way to be part of the answer by requiring and supporting sound Public Health Policy.

Reactions: BBrown and GreggK
Then why don’t they require the flu vaccine? Where’s all their concern for public health safety?
I don’t know and really don’t care. I don’t see one disease as being even remotely close to the other in transmission, severity of illness, hospitalization, potential for lasting implications or death. Do you? In State College transmission is on the rise as are hospitalizations. One of my neighbors ( actually more than one ) work at Mt. Nittany a medical Center and would like to see every measure possible taken to prevent further spread as they were working 70 to 80 hour weeks with a covid ward at 300% capacity what was planned and limited other procedures. Rutgers is a larger version of a college town where spread from campus jumps into the community. It’s sound public health policy. This is about Covid, not the flu.

do you have kids? Have they ever lived in a dorm? Did they get vaccinated for meningitis?

LMFAO.

let me know when the flu kills enough Americans that it reduces the life expectancy of the average American by one year. I will wait.

do you have a college education?

I don’t know and really don’t care. I don’t see one disease as being even remotely close to the other in transmission, severity of illness, hospitalization, potential for lasting implications or death. Do you? In State College transmission is on the rise as are hospitalizations. One of my neighbors ( actually more than one ) work at Mt. Nittany a medical Center and would like to see every measure possible taken to prevent further spread as they were working 70 to 80 hour weeks with a covid ward at 300% capacity what was planned and limited other procedures. Rutgers is a larger version of a college town where spread from campus jumps into the community. It’s sound public health policy. This is about Covid, not the flu.

do you have kids? Have they ever lived in a dorm? Did they get vaccinated for meningitis?

LMFAO.

let me know when the flu kills enough Americans that it reduces the life expectancy of the average American by one year. I will wait.

Let me know when the chiCOM flu kills ANY college students.

Let me know when the chiCOM flu kills ANY college students.
You apparently don’t live in a college town. It’s not just about the college students but the greater community as a whole. It’s Public Health Policy.

thanks for playing. In State College where we have a residence, hospitalizations are on the rise and the medical staff at Mt. Nittany has had to endure a significant burden providing care while other procedures go undone. The easiest way for everyone to get back to normal is to get vaccinated.

BTW, the 10 day quarantine alone given the investment for a year of college would make good sense to ensure everyone is vaccinated so the don’t miss class or cost the university a great deal creating special arrangements for quarantine.

do you have a college degree? The vaccine is free and effective. Sound Public Health Policy in action.

it’s pretty simple.

Gosh, if it was only about killing college students.

You apparently don’t live in a college town. It’s not just about the college students but the greater community as a whole. It’s Public Health Policy.

thanks for playing. In State College where we have a residence, hospitalizations are on the rise and the medical staff at Mt. Nittany has had to endure a significant burden providing care while other procedures go undone. The easiest way for everyone to get back to normal is to get vaccinated.

BTW, the 10 day quarantine alone given the investment for a year of college would make good sense to ensure everyone is vaccinated so the don’t miss class or cost the university a great deal creating special arrangements for quarantine.

do you have a college degree? The vaccine is free and effective. Sound Public Health Policy in action.

it’s pretty simple.

I know we live in a world where only our opinion counts, but it’s good to understand why others may disagree. I for one can absolutely share that I am not comfortable having my college aged daughters get the vaccine “for the community as a whole” and have them assume the risk of the long term side effects. On the other side, I will likely get the vaccine because my risk/reward profile is different. The solution is not quite as crystal clear as you suggest.

I know we live in a world where only our opinion counts, but it’s good to understand why others may disagree. I for one can absolutely share that I am not comfortable having my college aged daughters get the vaccine “for the community as a whole” and have them assume the risk of the long term side effects. On the other side, I will likely get the vaccine because my risk/reward profile is different. The solution is not quite as crystal clear as you suggest.

His reply was to MtNittany and appropriate for that bobo.

I understand your concerns and if your daughter (who is an adult now) doesn’t want the vaccine, that is completely her choice.

My only point was that Rutgers as an institution gets to make their rules. The hyperbole that they are “forcing” people to get the shot is a bit over the top IMHO. No one is being “forced” to do anything. And in fact, they are making it easy for those who don’t want it to participate. The kid might not get the full college experience, boohoo, they will get over it. They are in school to get an education anyway.

BTW I say this with 3 nephews in Rutgers and another niece and nephew on their way. All are getting the shot. Their choice as they are adults.

Reactions: BBrown

LMFAO.

Yes I have kids and both went to college. Yes I have a college education and more. Great stats, but we’re talking about college students, so the severity of illness and hospitalization for them isn’t crap. And if you don’t see a correlation for college aged students between Covid and the flu, then I don’t know what to tell you. If those at risk have the vaccine, what difference does it make if some college students don’t choose to get it?

Reactions: blmr31 and lknwake

it’s pretty simple.

I'm kinda confused about the rise... I thought the "vaccine" was solving the problem? That's a pretty simple observation but it is puzzling that something being touted as highly as this "vaccine" would not be reducing covid episodes.

Or maybe SC isn't getting the shots in the same numbers as elsewhere? I thought pretty much all the elderly were vax'd? So who are these people populating the hospitals? I don't know that answer but i thought all these campus areas were gobbling up the shot. I'm listening to explanations... thanx.

When did they start requiring the flu vaccine? I must have missed it.
I avoided the flu vaccine all my life, but everything changed in 2017. On November 1st we received a letter which basically said “no vaccine no employment”. Any pushback would have triggered disciplinary action and after three weeks it would have meant termination. I would love to work another 18 months before filing for retirement, but that would mean another round of vaccines. Just when things were to get easier for me, life has gotten a bit more complicated.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: N&B4PSU
His reply was to MtNittany and appropriate for that bobo.

I understand your concerns and if your daughter (who is an adult now) doesn’t want the vaccine, that is completely her choice.

My only point was that Rutgers as an institution gets to make their rules. The hyperbole that they are “forcing” people to get the shot is a bit over the top IMHO. No one is being “forced” to do anything. And in fact, they are making it easy for those who don’t want it to participate. The kid might not get the full college experience, boohoo, they will get over it. They are in school to get an education anyway.

BTW I say this with 3 nephews in Rutgers and another niece and nephew on their way. All are getting the shot. Their choice as they are adults.
When a disagreement devolves into ad hominem attacks, it’s a clear sign that your position is tenuous at best. I know you’d like to attribute a political motive or perhaps tell me separate is equal and it seems you also want to give me parenting advice. I will respectfully decline and simply say that I could care less what Rutgers does - I hope other schools choose not to follow.

Reactions: blmr31
I'm kinda confused about the rise... I thought the "vaccine" was solving the problem? That's a pretty simple observation but it is puzzling that something being touted as highly as this "vaccine" would not be reducing covid episodes.

Or maybe SC isn't getting the shots in the same numbers as elsewhere? I thought pretty much all the elderly were vax'd? So who are these people populating the hospitals? I don't know that answer but i thought all these campus areas were gobbling up the shot. I'm listening to explanations... thanx.
Why is it so confusing? Older people are vaccinated at a higher rate, restrictions are ending and people are out and about. Infections are trending younger and more numerous because recent victims aren’t vaccinated.

Reactions: BBrown and wbcincy
Yes I have kids and both went to college. Yes I have a college education and more. Great stats, but we’re talking about college students, so the severity of illness and hospitalization for them isn’t crap. And if you don’t see a correlation for college aged students between Covid and the flu, then I don’t know what to tell you. If those at risk have the vaccine, what difference does it make if some college students don’t choose to get it?
Again, I take it you don’t live in a college town like State College, I do. The goal is to contain community spread. I share lots of common spaces with students. In order to prevent “ community spread “ sound Public Health policy is advisable. Everyone gets vaccinated. This virus has reduced the overall life expectancy in our country by a year, let me know when the flu does that.

Were your kids who went to college vaccinated with the meningitis vaccine? That’s a community effort. Same thing with Covid which is much more transmissible than the flu and more deadly.

In time the vaccinations will reverse the current trend but we may never reach herd immunity if enough people are not vaccinated. The good news is lots of development now is also going into remedies so if you catch it, you can be cured.

one of the interesting aspects of this Public Health crisis not being covered is the cost. Two weeks plus in the hospital for Covid is a hefty price tag.

Again, I take it you don’t live in a college town like State College, I do. The goal is to contain community spread. I share lots of common spaces with students. In order to prevent “ community spread “ sound Public Health policy is advisable. Everyone gets vaccinated. This virus has reduced the overall life expectancy in our country by a year, let me know when the flu does that.

Were your kids who went to college vaccinated with the meningitis vaccine? That’s a community effort. Same thing with Covid which is much more transmissible than the flu and more deadly.
Stop with the meningitis example as it's nothing like covid. If a college age student catches bacterial meningitis there's up to a 30% that they're going to die, and if treatment is delayed from infection by 24 hours there's greater than 50% chance of death. It's not remotely similar.

Again I ask, if you get the vaccine, why do you care what others do or don’t do? The people who want the vaccine should get it then they don’t have to worry. And you keep spouting off about reducing the life expectancy, but there are also a ton of people who died with Covid but not from Covid. There have also been a ton of false positive tests, so it’s not accurate to claim absolute numbers about the virus. If they counted flu deaths the same as they count Covid deaths, the flu would impact the life expectancy as well. And as far as my kids getting vaccinated in college, they did and they would if they were in college now, but that was mine and their choice and that’s how it should be.
And by the way, I do live in a college town, one that’s a lot bigger than State College.

Reactions: Little J and blmr31
When a disagreement devolves into ad hominem attacks, it’s a clear sign that your position is tenuous at best. I know you’d like to attribute a political motive or perhaps tell me separate is equal and it seems you also want to give me parenting advice. I will respectfully decline and simply say that I could care less what Rutgers does - I hope other schools choose not to follow.

I agree, his position is tenuous. I could care less what you do. Regarding politics, both sides suck. Thanks for playing.

Again I ask, if you get the vaccine, why do you care what others do or don’t do? The people who want the vaccine should get it then they don’t have to worry. And you keep spouting off about reducing the life expectancy, but there are also a ton of people who died with Covid but not from Covid. There have also been a ton of false positive tests, so it’s not accurate to claim absolute numbers about the virus. If they counted flu deaths the same as they count Covid deaths, the flu would impact the life expectancy as well. And as far as my kids getting vaccinated in college, they did and they would if they were in college now, but that was mine and their choice and that’s how it should be.
And by the way, I do live in a college town, one that’s a lot bigger than State College.

And when this virus keeps bouncing around the unvaccinated and eventually mutates to where the vaccinated are no longer protected, then what?

Reactions: GreggK
Stop with the meningitis example as it's nothing like covid. If a college age student catches bacterial meningitis there's up to a 30% that they're going to die, and if treatment is delayed from infection by 24 hours there's greater than 50% chance of death. It's not remotely similar.
Again, a vaccination like Rutgers is requiring is for the greater community as well. It inset just about the mortality rate of college kids.
I take it you don’t own a home in a college town.

Again, a vaccination like Rutgers is requiring is for the greater community as well. It inset just about the mortality rate of college kids.
I take it you don’t own a home in a college town.
So, you've agreed that the meningitis example is pure bunk? No need to reply as you clearly ignored the reason for my reply to you and you ignored it for very good reasons.

If the public health policy is to bring the virus to a grinding halt ( it was, but is certainly morphing to control ) then everyone needs to get vaccinated world wide. It’s pretty simple. It is based on the goal.

I have season tickets to Beaver a stadium, wrestling and attend lots of shows and festivals, selfishly Inwould like to get back to it without social distancing and masks. We go to Broadway for a couple weekends a year. We spend a lot on the economy that has been ravaged. Hell, currently I am sitting in a plunge pool in Antigua on a mountainside. We had to mask and sanitize all the way here. It would be nice to get back to normal. Hopefully it happens.

the easiest way to accomplish this is everyone gets vaccinated. What’s your answer?

And when this virus keeps bouncing around the unvaccinated and eventually mutates to where the vaccinated are no longer protected, then what?
That’s a whole lot of assumptions....I guess that means masks and lock downs forever because what happens if it mutates even for those with the vaccine? Uh oh, run away, run away!

LMFAO.

I love your lack of accuracy.

Meanwhile, at Penn State:

“Students, employees encouraged to get vaccinated as soon as they are eligible”

See the link below. From the article:

“UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The Pennsylvania Department of Health recently announced the dates for phases 1B, 1C and 2 of the commonwealth’s COVID-19 vaccination distribution program and Penn State is strongly encouraging all students, faculty and staff to sign up to get a vaccine as soon as they are eligible to receive one.”

And,

““The University’s plans for a full in-person learning experience and the return of employees to our campuses this fall are heavily dependent on having members of our community – students, faculty and staff – vaccinated for COVID-19,” said Kelly Wolgast, director of the University’s COVID-19 Operations Control Center. “We’re strongly encouraging everyone to sign up to get the first vaccine available to them as soon as they become eligible under the state’s plan.””

If the public health policy is to bring the virus to a grinding halt ( it was, but is certainly morphing to control ) then everyone needs to get vaccinated world wide. It’s pretty simple. It is based on the goal.

I have season tickets to Beaver a stadium, wrestling and attend lots of shows and festivals, selfishly Inwould like to get back to it without social distancing and masks. We go to Broadway for a couple weekends a year. We spend a lot on the economy that has been ravaged. Hell, currently I am sitting in a plunge pool in Antigua on a mountainside. We had to mask and sanitize all the way here. It would be nice to get back to normal. Hopefully it happens.

the easiest way to accomplish this is everyone gets vaccinated. What’s your answer?
Interesting that you would choose to travel now when the CDC is recommending against it.

Reactions: 91Joe95

From the article:

“Cornell said that with the rapid rollout of vaccines and the requirement that students get them, “we anticipate that our campuses will operate in the fall under conditions in which the degree of immunity is sufficient to prevent the spread of virus within the community (herd immunity).” The college said it will return to regular in-person classes, and students will be required to wear masks and be tested for the coronavirus.”

They should be able to lift the mask requirement.

From the article:

“Cornell said that with the rapid rollout of vaccines and the requirement that students get them, “we anticipate that our campuses will operate in the fall under conditions in which the degree of immunity is sufficient to prevent the spread of virus within the community (herd immunity).” The college said it will return to regular in-person classes, and students will be required to wear masks and be tested for the coronavirus.”

They should be able to lift the mask requirement.
They have a pretty good medical school- I imagine they will be involved in setting the policy.

I’m sure there will be pushback at schools requiring the vaccine, but how will laws concerning vaccine passports affect policies at colleges and universities? Florida is banning vaccine passports, so I can‘t see a Florida college requiring the vaccine.

Reactions: blmr31
Interesting that you would choose to travel now when the CDC is recommending against it.
Do you think the CDC or Fauci will every say it's OK to travel or gather in groups? - I think they will always say it's a risk and no one will listen anymore especially after they get vaccinated.

I am vaccinated, intelligent, healthy, and see very little risk if you are all three. I followed the protocols regardless of being vaccinated and where we stayed was low population density resort with protocols in place as well. It was a great trip.
Do you think the CDC or Fauci will every say it's OK to travel or gather in groups? - I think they will always say it's a risk and no one will listen anymore especially after they get vaccinated.
I think even globally we will reach a point where between vaccinations and emerging medications it will be possible for everyone to travel and the CDC will endorse such as well. So much emerging technology being brought to the pandemic it is stunning. More hope every day.

Again, I applaud Rutgers for adopting an approach that will help to diminish community spread as this is a PUBLIC health issue. All universities should adopt this approach as well.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
I am vaccinated, intelligent, healthy, and see very little risk if you are all three. I followed the protocols regardless of being vaccinated and where we stayed was low population density resort with protocols in place as well. It was a great trip.

I think even globally we will reach a point where between vaccinations and emerging medications it will be possible for everyone to travel and the CDC will endorse such as well. So much emerging technology being brought to the pandemic it is stunning. More hope every day.

Again, I applaud Rutgers for adopting an approach that will help to diminish community spread as this is a PUBLIC health issue. All universities should adopt this approach as well.
We are looking to go to the Bahamas in July - I see American Airlines is now letting you buy fully refundable tickets ($50 extra per ticket) - That was my major concern losing my Airfare if anything happens - 3 of the 4 of us will be vaccinated by then (one daughter is only 15) but will have to get tested before we go and before we head back as well.

Reactions: tgar

Yawn, zzzzzzzzz

That's neither the current protocol or supposed rationale.

We are looking to go to the Bahamas in July - I see American Airlines is now letting you buy fully refundable tickets ($50 extra per ticket) - That was my major concern losing my Airfare if anything happens - 3 of the 4 of us will be vaccinated by then (one daughter is only 15) but will have to get tested before we go and before we head back as well.
Right now with many destinations you have to have proof of a negative test result 72 hours prior to arrival ( both ways on this trip ) but as vaccinations continue to roll out and you have proof of vaccination ( Belize for instance ) the testing requirement will be replaced with proof of vaccine passport

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT