ADVERTISEMENT

Worst 3rd down percentage in a decade

And the most alarming part of this is that penn state has been prepping an offensive game plan for OSU since August. More recently, we had UMass and a bye week....so this was the offensive plan hatched by our coaches after the perfect schedule to commit time and refinement to the plan. It was mostly garbage with a few high school level flea flicker and WR passes baked in. Just perplexing

And the most alarming part of this is that penn state has been prepping an offensive game plan for OSU since August. More recently, we had UMass and a bye week....so this was the offensive plan hatched by our coaches after the perfect schedule to commit time and refinement to the plan. It was mostly garbage with a few high school level flea flicker and WR passes baked in. Just perplexing

Yep. There has never been a more perfect schedule set up for Ohio State than this year.

After Northwestern, they had a bye weekend, then UMass, then a week to OSU. Basically 3 weeks to prepare for Ohio St and that was the offensive game plan they put together.

- 18/42 passing for 191 yards.
- 26 rushes for 49 yards.
- 1/16 in 3rd down conversions
- 9 punts/ 2 turnover on downs (14 possessions).

Last edited:
Yep. There has never been a more perfect schedule set up for Ohio State than this year.

After Northwestern, they had a bye weekend, then UMass, then a week to OSU. Basically 3 weeks to prepare for Ohio St and that was the offensive game plan they put together.

- 18/42 passing for 191 yards.
- 26 rushes for 49 yards.
- 1/16 in 3rd down conversions
- 9 punts/ 2 turnover on downs (14 possessions).
or maybe that schedule is exactly the problem

this year's out of conference schedule was shockingly weak and maybe the team was simply unprepared for playing competition anywhere close to this level

this year's out of conference schedule was shockingly weak and maybe the team was simply unprepared for playing competition anywhere close to this level
I agree about the OOC scheduling and it only gets worse over the next few years IIRC. We actually have Temple as our 1 home/away series soon. 😳

I might agree that it contributed to the loss except- new year, same result. It’s not like he’s had better success when we played OSU after tougher opponents earlier.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and PSUfiji
I agree about the OOC scheduling and it only gets worse over the next few years IIRC. We actually have Temple as our 1 home/away series soon. 😳

I might agree that it contributed to the loss except- new year, same result. It’s not like he’s had better success when we played OSU after tougher opponents earlier.
I still don't like it, even if it was not a factor. Let's say we had played Miami or Notre Dame instead of Delaware, and we only won one out of two between that game and Ohio State. Then you could say this team still has a shot at the playoff, and mean it. As is, we can just say that but know that it's a long shot. playing Delaware and UMass in the same season is ridiculous

Reactions: PSUfiji
I still don't like it, even if it was not a factor. Let's say we had played Miami or Notre Dame instead of Delaware, and we only won one out of two between that game and Ohio State. Then you could say this team still has a shot at the playoff, and mean it. As is, we can just say that but know that it's a long shot. playing Delaware and UMass in the same season is ridiculous

I totally agree. The OOC schedule needs to be more challenging. They need to at least play 1 really good opponent IMO. That’s where you’ll learn the most about the team and what needs to be addressed before conference play.

There should never be a home/ home with Temple. Villanova/ UMass/ Delaware games serve no real purpose.

Reactions: 91Joe95
There should never be a home/ home with Temple. Villanova/ UMass/ Delaware games serve no real purpose.
not to mention that this type of schedule creates a situation where your only path is going undefeated, which hardly ever happens anymore

Reactions: psu00
not to mention that this type of schedule creates a situation where your only path is going undefeated, which hardly ever happens anymore
Yep. I heard Herbstreit yesterday saying as we head into an expanded playoff that teams should get credit for playing big OOC games.

yesterday’s 3rd down conversion rate was the worst by a ranked team in a decade with at least 15 attempts. Last out of 1224 occurrences. Mind boggling.
So what? It's not the most significant stat. The way the game played out we could have just as easily won with the same conversion rate.

Perplexing or alarming?!

Thanks Sandy!!

Not with a loaded B1G conference schedule. Maybe one regional rival like Pitt, Syracuse, WV but that’s it. Play the MAC twice. The B1G tries to help that conference out when it can. Nevertheless the money these lower level schools get is significant and shouldn’t be dismissed. It’s their way of getting a piece of the pie, too.

Then how would you validate every other previous seasons failures with different schedules? Here’s a hint…it has nothing to do with scheduling….its between the ears of the “CEO” and his OC. Nothing more and nothing less.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT