ADVERTISEMENT

Wooten

danvillenit

Jan 22, 2012
starting MLB on new depth chart backed by Cooper. I just don't understand Wooten on the field instead of Reeder.

this just looks unreal. he was directly responsible for the TD drive that was the first Temple score, and changed the game. he was very hesitant for an experienced player. he has been in the program a while, but not ready to win games for us. Reeder seems to be so much more athletic and has superior size/strength. why depend on a guy who will be gone next year (he is 4th year player this year - not likely to be back). go with the future now.

starting MLB on new depth chart backed by Cooper. I just don't understand Wooten on the field instead of Reeder.

The MLB is also responsible for making most of the presnap calls and getting the DL and LB's on the same page - everything flows thru him. Perhaps the others aren't quite as prepared at this point to make those presnap checks? The coaches would rather have a slightly less talented player getting everyone else in the correct defense than a more talented player with half the defense confused at the snap.

Just my thoughts on rationalizing the decision, because if JF has shown anything it's that he's willing to play younger players over vets.

Wooten is just not good enough. I watched him this sat. And he falls for every fake. Talk about broken ankles. It's a sad day at PSU if he is a starter. I am a lber guy, all three of my sons play lber, so I'm used to watching that position, I don't claim to be an expert, but I can separate good from bad and Wooten isn't good. No offense. He definitely isn't carrying the LBer U torch for sure

The MLB is also responsible for making most of the presnap calls and getting the DL and LB's on the same page - everything flows thru him. Perhaps the others aren't quite as prepared at this point to make those presnap checks? The coaches would rather have a slightly less talented player getting everyone else in the correct defense than a more talented player with half the defense confused at the snap.

Just my thoughts on rationalizing the decision, because if JF has shown anything it's that he's willing to play younger players over vets.

You're spot on about the MLB being responsible for getting the defense into the correct call. However, Wooten was out of position himself too often (not to mention slow to react on most plays), and the defense declined in overall preparedness after W-W was injured. That tells me Wooten wasn't getting the job done.

I heard W-W on at least one occasion say that Bell was helping him much like he (W-W) helped Hull last year; maybe they could have an outside LB "QB" the defense.

If Reeder can show on the field, that he is a better MLB, then he will surpass Wooten. It's the second game of the season and I would not read too much into it just yet.
This assumes this staff is capable of accurately assessing talent. OL anyone??

I will say I was excited to see Cooper get an opportunity. IMO his HUDL from last year showed that he has a nose for the football. Redshirting would be preferable but I will be interested in what he can do.

A
I will say I was excited to see Cooper get an opportunity. IMO his HUDL from last year showed that he has a nose for the football. Redshirting would be preferable but I will be interested in what he can do.
Agreed. Two years from now our LB will probably be Bowen/Cooper/Reeder or Cabinda. Might as well get them some experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT