ADVERTISEMENT

WNO

Thanks for clarifying, I think it’s a special event. I think I watched everyone of them. I just didn’t believe weigh ins would be 30plus hours before. Just sounded out of wack. It’s great to hear at least the weights are scratch.

Reactions: Jaroslav Hasek
Thanks for clarifying, I think it’s a special event. I think I watched everyone of them. I just didn’t believe weigh ins would be 30plus hours before. Just sounded out of wack. It’s great to hear at least the weights are scratch.
I agree that day off scratch weight is ideal, but its also tough on the kids. would likely have more allowances if we didn't have day before weigh ins.

Its also nice having the weigh ins day before so they kids have a chance to relax before the event. They can get the gear and eat lunch without thinking about weight.

Appreciate the kind words and hope you enjoy this year as well. I think there are excellent matches. Don't sleep on the girls matches either, those wrestlers are going to making world teams before you know it.

Jordyn Raney vs Jax Forrest at 126. I really wish they did the 4 man at this weight with those 2 plus Lilledahl and Blaze. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lilledahl and Blaze both needed a bit of a break though considering they just wrestled at worlds. Still, that would be about the best 4 man bracket ever at WNO
Pyle did say on FRL today that Luke was invited but being that the turnaround from Worlds was so quick he declined.

Reactions: hlstone and zzs006
Im sure Luke got a chuckle as the second best in THE world being asked to prove YET AGAIN who is #1 in THEIR world.
Jax has the last H2H win in their series and Lilledahl took a head-scratcher loss to Adrian Meza at Journeymen World Classic

Jax has the last H2H win in their series and Lilledahl took a head-scratcher loss to Adrian Meza at Journeymen World Classic
I said it right after the match but the Meza loss was just strange. I’ve never seen Luke look like that. The kid wrestles so much he’s bound to have a bad performance every once in awhile but it definitely was a head scratcher

When you compete all the time you will lose. Some of these kids Aren’t scared to wrestle anyone, anytime anywhere. Luke is one of them. He had a few loses this freestyle season but at the end he was a world silver. Battle tested wrestlers is who we want for the b10 schedule.

Heck some kids win something big and you barely see them compete.

Reactions: Ski
Raney vs Lilledahl was a 5-4 match at the Super 32 finals. It was a good one. My buddy who is around the Champaign area said these two had some battles at the Illini camps over the last few years. I am high on the Raney twins.

I don’t think he meant anything by his post. He was just saying Luke had a few loses this preseason (Meza & Basset). That weight is so deep it’s hard to say who should be number one. 126- Luke wins silver u20, Blaze wins gold U17 and Forrest wins fargo, Raney wins gold u17 in greco. The crop of wrestlers between 120-132 could be one of the deepest talent wise in awhile.

I don’t think he meant anything by his post. He was just saying Luke had a few loses this preseason (Meza & Basset). That weight is so deep it’s hard to say who should be number one. 126- Luke wins silver u20, Blaze wins gold U17 and Forrest wins fargo, Raney wins gold u17 in greco. The crop of wrestlers between 120-132 could be one of the deepest talent wise in awhile.
Fair enough, gotta agree

They have good coverage and doing a nice job with their videos. I Just watched one with Knox openly wearing plastics. IMHO it looks really bad & not a good look and 24 hours later could you imagine how much he weighs now? I am sure many of the wrestlers are cutting hard but lots of youngins are watching these FLO videos. I see him turning deluca easily

I watched the Davino kids interview. OsU is getting a good kid I think. Ferrari is made for Iowa lmao

Last edited:
They have good coverage and doing a nice job with their videos. I Just watched one with Knox openly wearing plastics. IMHO it looks really bad & not a good look and 24 hours later could you imagine how much he weighs now? I am sure many of the wrestlers are cutting hard but lots of youngins are watching these FLO videos. I see him turning deluca easily

I watched the Davino kids interview. OsU is getting a good kid I think. Ferrari is made for Iowa lmao
Say what you will about Ohio state but the wrestlers appear to be decent guys and display good sportsmanship

Reactions: TrooperPSU
Eise wrestled a pretty good match. I think his corner should’ve challenged that td. I didn’t think it was 3 personally. Ferrari wins 5-1. They are using college rules so 3 point td is in effect

Getting used to saying 3 instead of 2 on a td is going to take some time

Rath vs Manville up now

What a ride by Manville. 2nd period ride out but it was tough. Probably 6 or 7 restarts but Manville was able to keep him down. Pierson goes down to start the 3rd

Manville with the escape. 1-0 with 1:20 left and Manville has 1:42 of riding time. Really good match especially for such a low scoring match. Manville wins 2-0. He controlled the handfight and deserved the win. The series between these 2 is now tied at 2-2

Last edited:
Sealey vs Henckel up next. Henckel beat Sealey at U20 trials in a high scoring match. I’m a Sealey homer though and think he gets revenge today.

Blair vs Sem match up. Beautiful low double from Sealey and quick td. Escape and it’s 3-1 Sealey. Another low double but Henckel defends this one and into a scramble. Crazy scramble and time runs out. 3-1 Sealey

Sealey goes down and escapes in 10 seconds. 4-1. Sealey always moving forward and still attacking a lot but seems a bit more measured than I’ve seen him in the past. Probably a good thing. End of 2. 4-1

Henckel chooses down. Henckel out and immediately in on a single. 4-2 Sealey kicks out but it was a super deep single. Super close to a td by Henckel but Sealey showed great defense. Sealey still attacking but nothing really close. Sealey wins 4-2

Henckel is very good. Better than I thought. Sealey takes back the number 1 spot though. Good matches so far

Last edited:
Paul Kenny vs Christian Castillo. U17 gold vs U17 silver. #1 vs #1. Kenny coming up in weight for this match. Castillo a junior and Kenny a freshman. No mullet for Castillo

Super quick high c from Kenny but Castillo defends. Castillo almost scores on the edge but refs calls them out. Kenny hitting beautiful shots but Castillo continues to defend. 0-0 after 1

Castillo goes down. Ashnault in Kenny’s corner. Escape Castillo to make it 1-0. :28 riding time for Kenny. Kenny backs out and gets hit with a stall. End of 2 and score is 1-0

Kenny takes down. Quick escape and it’s 1-1. Castillo controlling the handfight but Kenny has had the better attacks. Whoa. Great attack from Castillo and Kenny Houdini’s himself out and gives up nothing. Match going to OT

Castillo with a reattack td in OT and wins 4-1. Lots of good action and scrambling

Last edited:
Davino vs Larkin is next. Larkin is tricky but I think he’s better in freestyle. I have Davino winning this one and keeping his #1 ranking

Davino in on a single right away and gets the Td :20 in. 3-0. Larkin out for 1 but riding time is at :44. Beautiful throw by from Davino but Larkin defends and into a great scramble. Stalemate. Still 3-1.

Davino goes under to start the 2nd. Nice mat return from Larkin but Davino back up and out. 4-1. Riding time at :12 for Davino. Lightning quick reattack from Davino but Larkin defends again. Larkin is so hard to score on. Super tricky defense. End of 2. 4-1

Larkin goes down. Larkin out and it’s 4-2 with riding time at :28. Larkin in on single. Comes out the back door but Davino hangs on for a stalemate. Larkins best attack yet but couldn’t convert. Davino hangs on and wins 4-2

Low scoring matches but lots of good action. Fun scrambles all over

Last edited:
Jax vs Raney coming up now. This is the match I’m super excited about. Pretty sure everyone knows how much I love Jax but I think Raney is a beast as well and love how he competes. Raney pinned Jax last summer but was losing 14-3 at the time. Should be a fun one!

Back and forth action and Jax in on a shot but Raney defends and somehow comes out on top. 3-0. But Jax reverses him to make it 3-2. Raney escapes. 4-2. Jax with an absolutely gorgeous throw by. 5-4 Jax and he has :40 of riding time. Jax with a 2 point near fall and Raney escapes. 7-5. Jax with another Td and it’s up to 10-5. Action is too fast for me to keep up with. Raney out and the score is 10-6. End of 1. Insane period

Jax goes under and hits a Peterson. No backs but does get the reversal. Escape Raney and then a td Raney. 12-10. This match is nuts. Raney putting on a good ride and brings the riding time to :18 seconds for him.

Raney goes under. Escape and it’s 12-11. Crazy scramble and Jax gets a Td. 15-11 now. Raney was so close to scoring but Jax has insane defense. Great ride from Jax but Raney goes escape right into a td!!! 15-15 with :30 left and Raney on top.

OT!!! What a ****ing match!! Throw by Jax!! His throw by is so damn pretty. 18-15! Watch this match! These Raney brothers are improving at such a high rate. They are going to be great

Off-season isn't over yet, but zzs006 gets my vote for the Hodge for the off-season. Between PBP (not watching so I can watch the football game) and all the previews for international tournaments, I've really enjoyed your posts! Thank you!
Thank you! I appreciate it. Figured most wouldn’t be watching with football on so I thought I’d do a pbp. Been a great night of wrestling so far

Merrill vs Bartelt. Merrill won Fargo beating Cole Mirasola in the finals. Merrill was the number 1 overall recruit in his class but got hurt and didn’t wrestle this past high school season. He is very very good. Bartelt is committed to Iowa State

Merrill with the first td and Bartelt escapes. 3-1. Merrill with another Td. Super quick high c and easy finish. 6-1 with :30 left in the first. Merrill with the ride out. 1:21 in riding time

Merrill goes under. Granby from Merrill and he’s out. 7-1. Shoots a single and converts. 10-1 now. Merrill putting on a clinic. Bartelt out to make it 10-2. End of 2. 1:51 in riding time

Neutral to start the 3rd. Damn is Merrill quick for as big as he is. A go behind td and it’s 13-2. He cuts Bartelt and the match ends 14-3

Merrill is absolutely one of the very best wrestlers in all of high school. He’s uncommitted but wherever he goes I think he wins national titles. Kid is so good. Cormier is his coach as well

Last edited:
Thank you! I appreciate it. Figured most wouldn’t be watching with football on so I thought I’d do a pbp. Been a great night of wrestling so far
Looking forward to going back and watching that Jax/Raney match!

Bassett vs Zepeda up next at 138lbs. I’m interested to see how big Bo looks. Zepeda also wrestled for Gilroy and Cormier. Bassett comes out to Johnny Cash

Zepeda in on an immediate shot but Bo somehow defends. Bo with a cutback and almost scores but Zepeda defends and now he comes out on top. 3-0 Zepeda. Turn for Zepeda and it’s 6-0. Bassett out and then a td. 6-4 now. Zepeda out and the score is 7-4. Zepeda close to a td but Bo finds a way to defend and get a stalemate. Crazy pace. Bo can keep it up so let’s see if Zepeda can. Reattack from Bo and it’s close but time runs out. Really really close

Bo goes under. Sit out for Bassett, turns in and now in on a single and ends up getting the reversal. Bo cuts him so it’s 8-6 but riding time is at 1:05 for Zepeda. Td Zepeda. 11-6 and he gets the ride out. Bassett giving up his legs way too easy

Zepeda goes down and Bo cuts him. 12-6. Zepeda with another reattack td. Escape Bo. 15-7. Zepeda in again and gets a Td and near fall. 22-7 and Zepeda gets the fall!!! Wow! Bo got dominated.

Great snaps but he continued to snap Zepeda right into his legs. He really needs to tighten up defensively and be more selective about his attacks. Also probably needs to get stronger as he moves up in weight. Pace is a weapon but it can’t be your only one. Hopefully this slows the infatuation with Bassett and he puts his head down and just gets back to work.

DeLuca vs Knox. This should be a great one! Both Jersey boys and supposedly very good friends

DeLuca in on a shot and big scramble ensues. DeLuca comes out on top though. 3-0. Knox out quickly on the restart. 3-1. DeLuca is super quick but Knox matches him. Most of the attacks coming from DeLuca so far. End of 1

Knox goes under to start period 2. Big mat return and Knox right back up. Out of bounds. DeLuca about to go over a minute of riding time. Escape Knox but he does have 1:03 in riding time now. 3-2 DeLuca. End of 2

DeLuca picks neutral. Knox picking up his movement but hasn’t come close to getting in. DeLuca has wrestled a really smart match. Great movement, good attacks, and solid defense. Knox hasn’t been close to scoring off his own attacks. Right as I say that Knox does it!! Beautiful peek out duck under with :15 left for a td and backs! Wow. His only close attack and he converts it. DeLuca has to be super upset wrestling such a good match until the very end. Knox has ice water in his veins.

Main event time between 2 AWA boys. PSU commit Connor Mirasola vs Missou commit Aeoden Sinclair. These 2 train together all the time. Ben said on FRL that he will be in Sinclair’s corner and that Max will be in Mirasola’s

Scoreless through 1. Not a ton of action. You can tell they know each other well. Mirasola goes under first. Good mat return and ride from Sinclair. Sinclair over a minute of riding time and has a boot in. Looking like he might ride out the period. Gets a restart though with :24 left. Sinclair with the ride out

Sinclair goes under now and Mirasola goes optional and cuts him. 1-0 plus riding time for Sinclair. Sinclair with the counter td and it’s 4-0 now. Not looking good. Sinclair called for top stalling and it’s a restart Mirasola out. 4-1. :30 left. Mirasola in deep but Sinclair sprawls and that’s it 5-1. Solid win for Sinclair and he takes over the number 1 ranking

Super fun night of wrestling. Tons of talent on the way. Jax vs Raney was the match of the night. Definitely watch it if you can

Last edited:
Main event time between 2 AWA boys. PSU commit Connor Mirasola vs Missou commit Aeoden Sinclair. These 2 train together all the time. Ben said on FRL that he will be in Sinclair’s corner and that Max will be in Mirasola’s

Scoreless through 1. Not a ton of action. You can tell they know each other well. Mirasola goes under first. Good mat return and ride from Sinclair. Sinclair over a minute of riding time and has a boot in. Looking like he might ride out the period. Gets a restart though with :24 left. Sinclair with the ride out

Sinclair goes under now and Mirasola goes optional and cuts him. 1-0 plus riding time for Sinclair. Sinclair with the counter td and it’s 4-0 now. Not looking good. Sinclair called for top stalling and it’s a restart Mirasola out. 4-1. :30 left. Mirasola in deep but Sinclair sprawls and that’s it 5-1. Solid win for Sinclair and he takes over the number 1 ranking

Super fun night of wrestling. Tons of talent on the way. Jax vs Raney was the match of the night. Definitely watch it if you can
I watched about half tonight while I had some other stuff going on…agreed that Jax-Raney was the best that I saw! Your updates and previews have been great, thanks for all you post on the board!

Merrill vs Bartelt. Merrill won Fargo beating Cole Mirasola in the finals. Merrill was the number 1 overall recruit in his class but got hurt and didn’t wrestle this past high school season. He is very very good. Bartelt is committed to Iowa State

Merrill with the first td and Bartelt escapes. 3-1. Merrill with another Td. Super quick high c and easy finish. 6-1 with :30 left in the first. Merrill with the ride out. 1:21 in riding time

Merrill goes under. Granby from Merrill and he’s out. 7-1. Shoots a single and converts. 10-1 now. Merrill putting on a clinic. Bartelt out to make it 10-2. End of 2. 1:51 in riding time

Neutral to start the 3rd. Damn is Merrill quick for as big as he is. A go behind td and it’s 13-2. He cuts Bartelt and the match ends 14-3

Merrill is absolutely one of the very best wrestlers in all of high school. He’s uncommitted but wherever he goes I think he wins national titles. Kid is so good. Cormier is his coach as well
Merrill sort of reminds me of the Gable Steveson we saw wrestle against Jordan Wood at WNO what seems like ages ago.

More than a few really good kids. The way Jax finished his match was really impressive. He has felt blue and white to me for some time but this match was just outstanding by both kids. Watching Jax’s interview before hand made me feel like he is a perfect teammate for Luke. Ice in his veins a good head on his shoulders lives in the wrestling room. 🤞🏾

More than a few really good kids. The way Jax finished his match was really impressive. He has felt blue and white to me for some time but this match was just outstanding by both kids. Watching Jax’s interview before hand made me feel like he is a perfect teammate for Luke. Ice in his veins a good head on his shoulders lives in the wrestling room. 🤞🏾
Heck. Get both Forrest and Raney. Forrest's length and frame make me think he'll settle in around 149 (if not 157) in college. Both wrestlers were a ton of fun.

I just rewatched the Jax-Raney match and I have to say that was one of the most fun matches I’ve seen in a long time. A bit sloppy at times but both kids just got after it and never let up. Some absolutely beautiful wrestling as well. Both of those kids are so dangerous from everywhere. I really wish it would have been a 4 man with Blaze and Lilledahl as well. Those 4 might be the best foursome at a single weight in all of high school. I know I said it earlier but go watch the match. It’s well worth the time

I just rewatched the Jax-Raney match and I have to say that was one of the most fun matches I’ve seen in a long time. A bit sloppy at times but both kids just got after it and never let up. Some absolutely beautiful wrestling as well. Both of those kids are so dangerous from everywhere. I really wish it would have been a 4 man with Blaze and Lilledahl as well. Those 4 might be the best foursome at a single weight in all of high school. I know I said it earlier but go watch the match. It’s well worth the time
What is Cael's interests in Jax and Rainy and vice versa? I can only speculate, but can we get both? I know, I getting greedy.

Also, why is Merrill still uncommitted at this late in the game? What is he waiting for?

Will wonders never cease, Flo has it on their youtube (no paywall):

What is Cael's interests in Jax and Rainy and vice versa? I can only speculate, but can we get both? I know, I getting greedy.

Also, why is Merrill still uncommitted at this late in the game? What is he waiting for?
I’m sure Cael is interested but Lilledahl coming who knows how it shakes out. Like someone mentioned earlier, I see Jax putting some weight on and being a 41-49 more likely. I wonder if the Raney brothers are a package deal as well?

I have no info on Merrill but he was injured last high school season and didn’t compete so that might have something to do with it. I would love for him to come to PSU but I don’t see it happening unfortunately. Whoever does get him has a title contender maybe not from day 1 but definitely early on. I think he’s that good

He was supposedly very interested in Stanford, but then Carter Neves committed and that scuttlebutt died down.

There may have been uncertainty about his size. He was 182 his FR year, and was expected to go 195 last year -- but he missed most of the year with injury and returned at HWT. He's not the tallest HWT, and so coaches may have wanted to see if that's his real weight and how he looks there.

A lot of ranked HWTs got scooped up in 2023 and 2024, and Arizona State already got one for 2025. The only powers that will need a HWT in the next 3 years are Michigan and Missouri, and Iowa when Ferentz puts his foot down on Kueter.

Cody Merrill seems like a typical tweener between 197 and 285. He's too big for 197 but the length and build might make it hard for him to pack on that much weight. Not to say that means you can't be a great heavyweight but I tend to just have those guys go heavyweight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT