ADVERTISEMENT

With the Benefit of Hindsight - Ziegler's new documentary podcast on scandal to start in 2021

Episode 16 has dropped. This is the last of the 19 epiodes (episode 9 had 3 parts and episode 12 had 2 parts).

Zig and Liz summarize the story and the evidence presented in this series. Zig updates us with the latest developments in the case and Liz has some fun hitting John with a bunch of questions about his 10 year odyssey chasing the truth.

Victim 5 also specifically testified to Jerry having an erection in the shower. Victim 7 might have, as well, but I’d need to refresh myself on his testimony.

V5 (mk) was the accuser that testified at Spanier's trial. His story and his timeline have changed over time. The story he provided at trial was very different from the testimony he gave when he negotiated a settlement from Penn State.

V7 (ds) was the only accuser that was interviewed by Mark Pendergrast for his book "The Most Hated Man in America." He freely admits that his memories only surfaced during repressed memory therapy, a debunked method for reliably recovering traumatic or other memories.

Neither v5 or v7 made contemporaneous reports of abuse to anybody.

Finally finished listening to the last of the 19 podcasts this weekend. My thoughts….

I think JZ has made a very compelling case for Jerry actually being innocent. When the $hit hit the fan in 2011, the outrage of an obviously embellished Grand Jury Report led to a firestorm of panic which grew to epic proportions. Instead of waiting for actual facts, the BOT panicked and Fired Joe to make the Media outrage go away. JZ covers all of this in Episode 2 “Panic”. It’s the shortest of the 19 episodes, and the one I send to friends as a way to introduce them to the podcast.

I have contempt for the State Attorney General’s office. If Jerry was indeed guilty, then why did the OAG feel the need to stack the deck, in what should have been a slam dunk case? An embellished Grand Jury report, the Cynthia Baldwin deal, misleading victims during interviews. At best Jerry should be freed because of Prosecutorial Misconduct. At worst he deserves a new trial.

The victims all had tremendous holes in their stories, yet lawyers took them at their word. Why would they lie? Because they had millions of reasons to lie. And Ira Lupert just handing out Penn State’s money without any vetting whatsoever. WTF. Handing out millions of dollars to “victims” just perpetuated the the appearance that the school was guilty. I do realize that settlements were made to avoid the added cost of actually fighting these claims in court.

JZ calls this whole affair the “Perfect Storm.” He is 100% totally correct.

Finally finished listening to the last of the 19 podcasts this weekend. My thoughts….

I think JZ has made a very compelling case for Jerry actually being innocent. When the $hit hit the fan in 2011, the outrage of an obviously embellished Grand Jury Report led to a firestorm of panic which grew to epic proportions. Instead of waiting for actual facts, the BOT panicked and Fired Joe to make the Media outrage go away. JZ covers all of this in Episode 2 “Panic”. It’s the shortest of the 19 episodes, and the one I send to friends as a way to introduce them to the podcast.

I have contempt for the State Attorney General’s office. If Jerry was indeed guilty, then why did the OAG feel the need to stack the deck, in what should have been a slam dunk case? An embellished Grand Jury report, the Cynthia Baldwin deal, misleading victims during interviews. At best Jerry should be freed because of Prosecutorial Misconduct. At worst he deserves a new trial.

The victims all had tremendous holes in their stories, yet lawyers took them at their word. Why would they lie? Because they had millions of reasons to lie. And Ira Lupert just handing out Penn State’s money without any vetting whatsoever. WTF. Handing out millions of dollars to “victims” just perpetuated the the appearance that the school was guilty. I do realize that settlements were made to avoid the added cost of actually fighting these claims in court.

I want to add that I see no change with regard to Jerry and his current status. I think the best that can come of this podcast is it may get someone to make a “Making a Murderer” type Netflix docu series. I think if the general public knew a lot more about this case, it could sway public opinion.

In regards to the police and AG office...

JZ covers this, but I think they genuinely thought JS was a pedophile. Think of it this way, they knew it was investigated in 1998, and now you have a current accuser. I can't say it's super common to have kids Aaron Fishers age make false accusations against non family members.

So I think the goal of a lot of their tactics were to get more accusers they were sure were out there. Where I really blame them, is when it became clear there were not a plethora of accusers out there, when the very small handful of accusers they did have were all seemingly in a tight period of time, they should've slowed down and really analyzed the situation.

Am I 100 percent convinced Jerry is innocent? No. But something REALLY stinks about this, always has.

Here is the reality that needs to be considered.

After 18 months of investigating, doing some shady things to try to bring accusers forward, including using Sara Ganim to effectively recruit them, they had 3 "victims". Aaron Fisher, who sadly enough is probably the only credible "victim" in the sense he wasn't coerced to come forward, although the podcast does a fine job showing why his story is likely BS.

Then you have the boy in the shower, who we now know was Allan Meyers, who never testified because they have him on record until the trial he was in full support of Jerry. Was golfing with Jerry while both knew he was under investigation for the Myers accusation. There is literally almost no chance he's telling the truth.

The 1998 "victim" who even in the trial and the lawsuits, never admitted to actually being abused. He in retrospect decided he was likely being groomed, and for whatever reason Jerry didn't follow through.

Every other victim is mostly nonsensical accusations, all with clear knowledge of the money they'd receive for these accusations.

When you understand the case in this context, it is very easy to see how Jerry could be innocent.

JoePa at No. 7

Forgive me for posting this stuff, just want to share how bad the narrative remains to this day.

face-palm_1f926.png

In regards to the police and AG office...

JZ covers this, but I think they genuinely thought JS was a pedophile. Think of it this way, they knew it was investigated in 1998, and now you have a current accuser. I can't say it's super common to have kids Aaron Fishers age make false accusations against non family members.

So I think the goal of a lot of their tactics were to get more accusers they were sure were out there. Where I really blame them, is when it became clear there were not a plethora of accusers out there, when the very small handful of accusers they did have were all seemingly in a tight period of time, they should've slowed down and really analyzed the situation.

Am I 100 percent convinced Jerry is innocent? No. But something REALLY stinks about this, always has.

Here is the reality that needs to be considered.

After 18 months of investigating, doing some shady things to try to bring accusers forward, including using Sara Ganim to effectively recruit them, they had 3 "victims". Aaron Fisher, who sadly enough is probably the only credible "victim" in the sense he wasn't coerced to come forward, although the podcast does a fine job showing why his story is likely BS.

Then you have the boy in the shower, who we now know was Allan Meyers, who never testified because they have him on record until the trial he was in full support of Jerry. Was golfing with Jerry while both knew he was under investigation for the Myers accusation. There is literally almost no chance he's telling the truth.

The 1998 "victim" who even in the trial and the lawsuits, never admitted to actually being abused. He in retrospect decided he was likely being groomed, and for whatever reason Jerry didn't follow through.

Every other victim is mostly nonsensical accusations, all with clear knowledge of the money they'd receive for these accusations.

When you understand the case in this context, it is very easy to see how Jerry could be innocent.
Close to correct, but Jerry actually had no clue he was under investigation for the Myers incident during the golf outing. Jerry only found out about that after the Grand Jury presentment was released.

That’s unfortunate because if Jerry had known he was being charged in the incident, he could have made sure Allan specifically told the police he was the boy in the shower, but instead Allan just provided a general statement that Jerry never abused him.

Victim 5 also specifically testified to Jerry having an erection in the shower. Victim 7 might have, as well, but I’d need to refresh myself on his testimony.
Victim 5 also testified he didn’t know the significance of the erection because he was only 10 at the time.

Then he changed the year to 2002, when he was 14!

He also claimed he was anally raped repeatedly on his statement seeking $$$ from PSU, in contradiction to his trial testimony of a one-time touching incident!

I mostly agree with you on these discussions but not necessarily this time. We hear that Jerry saw himself as a father figure to these kids. I don't recall my father ever holding me up in the shower to rinse my hair but I wouldn't rule that out as a possibility. I definitely remember showering with my father at places like campgrounds and public pools.

That said, we agree that there are two problems even if Jerry was completely innocent.
  1. TSM should never have allowed any of their employees or agents to have private one on one contact with troubled children.
  2. JS should have been scared to death after what happened in 1998. A "normal" person would have avoided this type of situation going forward.
I agree Jerry was not “normal” but that was the result of the ego that comes from founding the largest children’s charity in PA, not from being a pedo.

if Jerry was a pedo, he would have stopped hanging out with the 1998 kid after that kid told his mother about a relatively benign incident. Instead, he not only continues a 13 year relationship with that boy, he also enables him to form close friendships with the other boys he was supposedly grooming/abusing!

Reactions: roswelllion
For those who doubt the possibility Jerry could be innocent as well, I want you to think about this fact that I think is extremely telling.

Not a single one of Jerrrys accusers have someone to corroborate their story. Meaning, not a single accuser ever told someone in their friend group or family. After Fisher comes forward, every other accuser were repressed memory cases. All of em.

Now I want you to think about all of the other big similar stories that have come in the news over the years.

Nassar, Strauss specifically. There are dozens of documented corroboration that accusers were actively complaining about their behavior.

Literally Sandusky is an alleged serial pedophile performing blatant and horrific sexual acts for DECADES. Nobody tells their parents, nobody complains to the second mile. No kid suffers a rape injury. These are teenage boys, not infants. The likelihood that none of these people come forward until after it was clear there was monetary rewards is completely unreasonable to believe.

#5 or #7, similar.

The whole point of John Doe's tissue-soaked trip to the witness stand was to tell the jury that #5 Kajak/John Doe was sexually abused in the Penn State showers after Mike McQueary made his famous visit there.

While extra deputies patrolled the courtroom, the sobbing witness told the jury that he was sexually abused by Jerry Sandusky after the famous Mike McQueary shower incident. But the jury wasn't told what that alleged sex abuse of Kajak/Victim No. 5/John Doe was.

It wasn't rape; Sandusky allegedly soaped the boy up in the shower and may have touched his penis.

The jury also wasn't told that because of the alleged abuse, Kajak collected in a civil settlement $8 million.

Kajak, AKA Victim No. 5 or John Doe, also gave four different dates for his alleged abuse in the shower with Jerry – in 1998, when he was 10 years old; in 2000 when he was 12; in 2001, before 9/11, when he was 13; and finally in 2001 after 9/11, when he would have been 14.
But because Kajak was a sacred cow, as certified by the judge in the secrecy and hoopla that accompanied Kajak's trip to the witness stand, the defense lawyers in the case were too intimidated to even ask one question.
Spanier's defense lawyers didn't ask about the four different dates for the alleged abuse, the nature of the alleged abuse, or the money that the alleged victim collected. Instead, those cowed defense lawyers told the judge and jury they didn't want to prolong the victim's suffering by subjecting him to cross-examination.

Like they would have done with any normal human being who was trying to put their client in jail.
That's how crazy things are in the Penn State case.
In their unhinged sentencing memorandum, the attorney general's office teed off on Graham Spanier for not showing the proper amount of remorse. And quite possibly for repeatedly turning down the plea bargain deal that his former co-defendants, Tim Curley and Gary Schultz took, copping a plea to a first-degree misdemeanor count of endangering the welfare of a child.

The AG's office was also angry at Spanier for daring to take the Commonwealth on in a trial, where he curiously put on no defense.
"To date, Spanier has shown a stunning lack of remorse for his victims," the attorney general writes. "While he has made various expressions of sympathy for Sandusky's victims in his various public statements," the attorney general writes, "those statements have been completely divorced from taking any personal responsibility. Remorse without taking accountability is not remorse."
That's when the prosecutors screamed for blood.
"Nothing short of a sentence that includes a period of jail time would be an appropriate sentence for Graham Spanier," the AG writes. "The only proper sentence for Spanier would be a sentence at the high end of the standard range or aggravated range of the sentencing guidelines," the AG concludes. "There is simply nothing mitigating about the harm he has caused and the nature of his crime."
As far as the sentencing guidelines are concerned, in the mitigated range, Spanier, who has a clean record, was subject to "restorative sanctions," presumably probation and/or fines.
The standard range is up to nine months total confinement. The aggravated range: 12 months.
Spanier, Curley and Schultz are scheduled to be sentenced this afternoon in Dauphin County Court, where frontier justice reigns.
As for former Penn State Athletic Director Tim Curley, the AG wrote, "While Curley deserved credit of taking responsibility for his actions in the form of admitting his guilt, his repeated claims of memory lapses around critical events surrounding this crime was nothing short of bizarre."
"The Commonwealth asserts that the astonishing forgetfulness that Curley demonstrated during his testimony . . . was simply not credible," the AG wrote. The AG states that Curley's forgetfulness "was designed to protect those who deserved to share blame with Curley for the decisions that led to the colossal failure to protect children from Sandusky."
"His 'forgetfulness' also allowed him to save face in a room full of supporters who publicly called this trial a 'witch hunt' and [a] fraudulent prosecution," the AG wrote. "Mr. Curley's memory was markedly more clear in his statement to investigators a mere week before his testimony."

There is no truth but the official truth, the AG's office was saying. As promulgated by us. And since we can't punish the blasphemers, those bloggers and politically incorrect Penn State defenders who dared to speak out, let's take it out on the defendants.
"Thus, Curley needs to be punished in a manner commensurate with his participation in this crime," the AG writes.
As far as former Penn State VP Gary Schultz is concerned, "Schultz should be given credit in terms of his willingness to accept responsibility by virtue of his guilty plea," the AG writes.

In their filing, the AG's office referred derisively to "conspiracy bloggers." One of the most prominent bloggers on the case, John Ziegler, took exception to that characterization.

"The only people who believe in a nonsensical conspiracy here is the prosecution," Ziegler said. " I'm a non-conspiracy person. What they [the prosecution] did is laughable."

"If there was ever any doubt that the prosecution had no case, this filing ended it," Ziegler said. The prosecutors are making "an emotional plea based on lies. They're attacking people who weren't even part of the case."

As far as his own actions are concerned, "I have never gone near Michal Kajak," Ziegler said.

Meanwhile, the AG's office wants to finish their witch hunt.

There's only one remaining question. This afternoon in Dauphin County Court, with the Honorable John Boccabella presiding, whether the witches be burned at the stake.

Reactions: roswelllion
#5 or #7, similar.

The whole point of John Doe's tissue-soaked trip to the witness stand was to tell the jury that #5 Kajak/John Doe was sexually abused in the Penn State showers after Mike McQueary made his famous visit there.

While extra deputies patrolled the courtroom, the sobbing witness told the jury that he was sexually abused by Jerry Sandusky after the famous Mike McQueary shower incident. But the jury wasn't told what that alleged sex abuse of Kajak/Victim No. 5/John Doe was.

It wasn't rape; Sandusky allegedly soaped the boy up in the shower and may have touched his penis.

The jury also wasn't told that because of the alleged abuse, Kajak collected in a civil settlement $8 million.

Kajak, AKA Victim No. 5 or John Doe, also gave four different dates for his alleged abuse in the shower with Jerry – in 1998, when he was 10 years old; in 2000 when he was 12; in 2001, before 9/11, when he was 13; and finally in 2001 after 9/11, when he would have been 14.
But because Kajak was a sacred cow, as certified by the judge in the secrecy and hoopla that accompanied Kajak's trip to the witness stand, the defense lawyers in the case were too intimidated to even ask one question.
Spanier's defense lawyers didn't ask about the four different dates for the alleged abuse, the nature of the alleged abuse, or the money that the alleged victim collected. Instead, those cowed defense lawyers told the judge and jury they didn't want to prolong the victim's suffering by subjecting him to cross-examination.

Like they would have done with any normal human being who was trying to put their client in jail.
That's how crazy things are in the Penn State case.
In their unhinged sentencing memorandum, the attorney general's office teed off on Graham Spanier for not showing the proper amount of remorse. And quite possibly for repeatedly turning down the plea bargain deal that his former co-defendants, Tim Curley and Gary Schultz took, copping a plea to a first-degree misdemeanor count of endangering the welfare of a child.

The AG's office was also angry at Spanier for daring to take the Commonwealth on in a trial, where he curiously put on no defense.
"To date, Spanier has shown a stunning lack of remorse for his victims," the attorney general writes. "While he has made various expressions of sympathy for Sandusky's victims in his various public statements," the attorney general writes, "those statements have been completely divorced from taking any personal responsibility. Remorse without taking accountability is not remorse."
That's when the prosecutors screamed for blood.
"Nothing short of a sentence that includes a period of jail time would be an appropriate sentence for Graham Spanier," the AG writes. "The only proper sentence for Spanier would be a sentence at the high end of the standard range or aggravated range of the sentencing guidelines," the AG concludes. "There is simply nothing mitigating about the harm he has caused and the nature of his crime."
As far as the sentencing guidelines are concerned, in the mitigated range, Spanier, who has a clean record, was subject to "restorative sanctions," presumably probation and/or fines.
The standard range is up to nine months total confinement. The aggravated range: 12 months.
Spanier, Curley and Schultz are scheduled to be sentenced this afternoon in Dauphin County Court, where frontier justice reigns.
As for former Penn State Athletic Director Tim Curley, the AG wrote, "While Curley deserved credit of taking responsibility for his actions in the form of admitting his guilt, his repeated claims of memory lapses around critical events surrounding this crime was nothing short of bizarre."
"The Commonwealth asserts that the astonishing forgetfulness that Curley demonstrated during his testimony . . . was simply not credible," the AG wrote. The AG states that Curley's forgetfulness "was designed to protect those who deserved to share blame with Curley for the decisions that led to the colossal failure to protect children from Sandusky."
"His 'forgetfulness' also allowed him to save face in a room full of supporters who publicly called this trial a 'witch hunt' and [a] fraudulent prosecution," the AG wrote. "Mr. Curley's memory was markedly more clear in his statement to investigators a mere week before his testimony."

There is no truth but the official truth, the AG's office was saying. As promulgated by us. And since we can't punish the blasphemers, those bloggers and politically incorrect Penn State defenders who dared to speak out, let's take it out on the defendants.
"Thus, Curley needs to be punished in a manner commensurate with his participation in this crime," the AG writes.
As far as former Penn State VP Gary Schultz is concerned, "Schultz should be given credit in terms of his willingness to accept responsibility by virtue of his guilty plea," the AG writes.

In their filing, the AG's office referred derisively to "conspiracy bloggers." One of the most prominent bloggers on the case, John Ziegler, took exception to that characterization.

"The only people who believe in a nonsensical conspiracy here is the prosecution," Ziegler said. " I'm a non-conspiracy person. What they [the prosecution] did is laughable."

"If there was ever any doubt that the prosecution had no case, this filing ended it," Ziegler said. The prosecutors are making "an emotional plea based on lies. They're attacking people who weren't even part of the case."

As far as his own actions are concerned, "I have never gone near Michal Kajak," Ziegler said.

Meanwhile, the AG's office wants to finish their witch hunt.

There's only one remaining question. This afternoon in Dauphin County Court, with the Honorable John Boccabella presiding, whether the witches be burned at the stake.

For those who doubt the possibility Jerry could be innocent as well, I want you to think about this fact that I think is extremely telling.

Not a single one of Jerrrys accusers have someone to corroborate their story. Meaning, not a single accuser ever told someone in their friend group or family. After Fisher comes forward, every other accuser were repressed memory cases. All of em.

Now I want you to think about all of the other big similar stories that have come in the news over the years.

Nassar, Strauss specifically. There are dozens of documented corroboration that accusers were actively complaining about their behavior.

Literally Sandusky is an alleged serial pedophile performing blatant and horrific sexual acts for DECADES. Nobody tells their parents, nobody complains to the second mile. No kid suffers a rape injury. These are teenage boys, not infants. The likelihood that none of these people come forward until after it was clear there was monetary rewards is completely unreasonable to believe.
Correct, what opponents will say is that these boys were groomed into compliant sexual acts and they were too afraid to tell anyone because they didn’t want people to think they were gay.

However, I would think these guys would have screamed to someone as soon as Jerry tried to grab their penises for the first time! I am not buying the argument that a bunch of heterosexual teenage boys complied with handjobs and blowjobs because Jerry had “softened them up” with shower horseplay and knee touching. Especially because Sandusky did not appear to be having conversations with the boys regarding their sexuality.

Correct, what opponents will say is that these boys were groomed into compliant sexual acts and they were too afraid to tell anyone because they didn’t want people to think they were gay.

However, I would think these guys would have screamed to someone as soon as Jerry tried to grab their penises for the first time! I am not buying the argument that a bunch of heterosexual teenage boys complied with handjobs and blowjobs because Jerry had “softened them up” with shower horseplay and knee touching. Especially because Sandusky did not appear to be having conversations with the boys regarding their sexuality.
What I would say to those opponents is I could believe that for some of them. But not for all of them, this is what makes it suspicious.

I'll say something else as well. If the argument is they were embarrassed about it, why are they all going back to him dozens of times and most of them maintaining a relationship with him for the rest of their lives?

I think what John pointed out, is the media and the prosecution really painted this as these guys being small children. Most of them were 13-15 years old at the time of the incident. It just doesn't add up that all these kids are these sexually naive children who get bamboozled into sex with a 50 year old man.

Reactions: francofan
This is according to whom? If JS admitted to this, it is pretty damning. Otherwise it’s potentially just another ‘silver convertible’.
I think it’s highly probable that all the boys remembered was simply showering with Jerry and the creepy rituals were the product of the repressed memory therapy.

Last edited:
Zig has put together a very compelling case, this case has many differences from the Strauss and Nassar cases:

- No pornography found with Sandusky
- Nasser and Strauss were pretty much an open secret at USA Gymnastics, MSU, and OSU. Especially with Nasser, the victims have been very vocal. Sandusky, not so much
- Nothing found with 2nd Mile. Unheard of with a serial pedophile. There would have been smoke there too.

I thought this article was going to be about the truth, that people wanted to believe the BS about Joe enabling JS, despite there being no evidence. I guess I should have known the entire article was garbage when it was liked by WHCANole, who apparently has nothing better to do than hang out here and advance a narrative that has proven to be wrong.

JoePa at No. 7

Forgive me for posting this stuff, just want to share how bad the narrative remains to this day.
Courtesy of "u/trojan_man16". As I've always said, those who screamed the loudest about Joe/PSU have their own skeletons to hide. Of course a USC fan wants people focused on other scandals, real or imagined.

I will say, the ignorance in the comments is simply astounding. Someone needs to point them to JZ's podcast.

Zig has put together a very compelling case, this case has many differences from the Strauss and Nassar cases:

- Nasser and Strauss were pretty much an open secret at USA Gymnastics, MSU, and OSU. Especially with Nasser, the victims have been very vocal. Sandusky, not so much
- Nothing found with 2nd Mile. Unheard of with a serial pedophile. There would have been smoke there too.

Not to mention that at the other schools (don't forget Michigan), there were literally hundreds of victims. Also, when their abusers were finally put on trial, many of them showed up and gave emotional speeches about the pain they have been caused.

Reactions: francofan

Another mistake. Just not public.

Amendola and Rominger had to speed-read through the thousands of pages of discovery material that they did get. For a while, they couldn’t even get the prosecution to give them the names and birthdates of the alleged victims, along with the exact dates on which they were supposed to have been abused by Sandusky. Amendola also wanted the names of anyone who had come forward to claim abuse but who "did not fit the commonwealth's profile and/or the report was deemed to be false,” but that was not forthcoming, either. Neither was information on whatever the prosecution had discovered on Sandusky’s computer, probably because they had found nothing incriminating whatsoever – no child pornography, which was surprising if Sandusky was the compulsive pedophile he was supposed to be.·[5] “We’re really being pushed to kind of decipher this stuff,” Amendola said in February 2012 about the reams of material. “We’ll be prepared to try the case whenever the judge says, but we’re playing a lot of catch-up right now.”[6]

Amendola kept complaining. He threatened to file a motion to dismiss the case, since it was very difficult to prepare a defense without exact times and dates of alleged offenses. “All we are asking is [for prosecutors] to go back to these accusers and say, ‘You went to football games — which ones?’ Give us at least something that we could check,” Amendola begged.Prosecuting attorney Joe McGettigan responded that “many of the alleged victims were abused several times a week, or month,” so it wasn’t possible to pin down a particular time. Besides, “They didn’t want to remember what happened and were even encouraged by Sandusky to forget,” he said. Here was another red flag that the alleged victims may have been in therapy searching for repressed memories, but no one picked up on it. When the prosecutors said they wouldn’t provide the information, Judge Cleland commented, "I think the answer is they can't." He thus declared that it was “futile” to demand such details. According to reporter Sara Ganim, “the state Attorney General's Office countered that Sandusky is accused of abusing boys who are now men, who were pressured into forgetting what happened and many times abused weekly for many years.”[7]Despite Amendola’s strenuous objections and repeated requests for a continuance, Cleland denied the requests and stuck to his promised June 5 trial date, which would take place in Centre County, where State College and Penn State were located. Incredibly, Jerry Sandusky had instructed Amendola to oppose a change in venue, assuming that his local reputation would benefit him.[8] Instead, the last place on earth that he was likely to get a fair trial was in Penn State territory, where the case had received a huge amount of horrendous publicity, and Penn State fans were bitter and angry at the impact on Coach Paterno and their beloved institution.On May 30, in a private unscheduled meeting with the judge and prosecutors, Amendola pled for a delay of the trial to allow him time to prepare for it properly. He wanted to call a psychologist as an expert witness, but the psychologist had been unable to prepare his reports because he hasn't been given access to the grand jury testimony. His jury consultant was in Puerto Rico on vacation. One of Amendola’s investigators was having surgery. Amendola and Rominger didn’t have enough time to review all the evidence. They couldn’t call Gary Schultz or Tim Curley because they had exercised their fifth-amendment rights. Cleland again denied the requested continuance, saying "No trial date is ever perfect, but some days are better than others."[9]Later that same day, in an official pre-trial hearing, Amendola asked Cleland to throw out three of the ten alleged victims before the trial. Victim 2, the unnamed Allan Myers, should be thrown out because Mike McQueary’s version of the shower incident kept changing, including the date on which it was supposed to have occurred. Victim 8, the phantom victim supposedly witnessed by the janitor who now had dementia, should be thrown out because it was pure hearsay. And Victim 6, Zachary Konstas, should be thrown out because the district attorney had decided in 1998 that there wasn’t enough evidence to prosecute, so to try it again amounted to a kind of double jeopardy. Cleland denied all of Amendola’s requests. All ten alleged victims would be presented to the jury.[10]On June 5, just before the process of picking a jury commenced, Amendola tried one more tactic. He filed a motion to withdraw as Sandusky’s lawyer, “based on the lack of preparation of all the things that are going on, most notably the absence of our experts and jury consultant.” A “key witness” was unavailable. “My office is still copying materials which we cannot send out to anybody because they’re all confidential. They’re all grand jury materials. My staff is ready to quit.” He said that “some day when people talk to my staff and get a real flavor for what was going on in my office for the past 30, 60 days, they’ll have a better understanding that this is not lawyering.” The reality was that “we have been so far behind, just keeping up with the discovery materials and trying to do due diligence… but we’re at a loss.” They hadn’t even had time to serve subpoenas to potential witnesses. He concluded that “we’re not prepared to go to trial at this time.”Co-counsel Karl Rominger added that he had called the Pennsylvania Bar Ethics Hotline the day before, and they had called his attention to Rule 17.1, a lawyer’s “duty of competency,” and that Rule 1.16 called upon a judge to ask lawyers to withdraw if the judge could tell that they were completely unprepared.
The lawyer who answered the hotline said that they would normally render a formal opinion in such cases, but since they knew it was the Sandusky case, they didn’t want to get involved.Amendola said that he was “fully cognizant of the fact that the Court will deny but at least there will be a record.”[11] And he was right. Cleland refused to allow him to withdraw from the case, and jury selection began.

· Although there was no pornography on Sandusky’s computer, his investigators were sending “graphic and raunchy” pornography by email to one another, though the Office of the Attorney General has refused to make the emails public.

There are a lot of bad actors in this saga who are going to be in for a real shock when they are facing St. Peter at the Gates.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper

Zig’s podcasts beg for a good editor to distill it down to a feature article and a more detailed book.

Last edited:
It seems like you are saying that there is nothing to see here and it is time to move on,

I say there is a lot to see here and that the fat lady has not sung.

Please humor me and tell me if you agree with the following:

1. Mike McQueary witnessed an anal rape in the Lasch building shower.
2. The Freeh Report is factual.
3, Spanier, Curley, Schultz, and Paterno knowingly enabled the acts of a CSA offender
4. Mike McQueary is a credible witness
5. Frank Fina claiming that he set up a sting operation to catch the grand jury leaker proves that he was not the leaker
6. The OAG's and the Freeh Group's investigations were independent
7. Juror 0990, Laura Pauley, who had been interviewed by the Freeh Group before Sandusky's trial was a fair, unbiased, and open-minded juror.
sorry MCQ told 3 diff stories to 3 diff people and as for the rape he could not see anything from where he was standing and was going on some noises he heard!!

Another joins the Sandusky is innocent crusade.
Excellent essay by Fred Crews, Professor Emeritus of English at University of California. He makes a compelling case that Sandusky was wrongly convicted. Coming on the heals of the "With the Benefit of Hindsight" documentary podcast it is no longer a question of if Sandusky is innocent but rather a question when it will be evident and when will the media report that Sandusky is innocent.

At the end of the essay, Crews puts in a plug for contributing to the Impact Fund.

If you find this essay convincing, please circulate it and, if possible, link or repost it. Meanwhile, Jerry continues to press for a new trial but is desperately short of money for legal fees. Please consider making a contribution to The Impact Fund, c/o Dick Anderson, P.O. Box 1151, State College, PA 16804.

Excellent essay by Fred Crews, Professor Emeritus of English at University of California. He makes a compelling case that Sandusky was wrongly convicted. Coming on the heals of the "With the Benefit of Hindsight" documentary podcast it is no longer a question of if Sandusky is innocent but rather a question when it will be evident and when will the media report that Sandusky is innocent.

At the end of the essay, Crews puts in a plug for contributing to the Impact Fund.

If you find this essay convincing, please circulate it and, if possible, link or repost it. Meanwhile, Jerry continues to press for a new trial but is desperately short of money for legal fees. Please consider making a contribution to The Impact Fund, c/o Dick Anderson, P.O. Box 1151, State College, PA 16804.
Unfortunately, the only way the media reports that he isn’t guilty is if it happens in a court of law, which, with Pennsylvania’s current political climate, won’t happen anytime soon. And even if it were to happen, they would bury it on the back pages.

sorry MCQ told 3 diff stories to 3 diff people and as for the rape he could not see anything from where he was standing and was going on some noises he heard!!
MCQ??? Really?
McQueary complained to the A.G.'s office that they had "twisted" his words about "whatever it was" that he had actually seen or heard in the showers.

Now there's a star witness you can have confidence in.

In a second email sent that same day, McQueary complained to Eshbach about "being misrepresented" in the media. And then McQueary tried to straighten out a couple of misconceptions, writing that he never went to Coach Joe Paterno's house with his father, and that he had never seen Sandusky with a child at a Penn State football practice.

"I know that a lot of this stuff is incorrect and it is hard not to respond," Eshbach emailed McQueary. "But you can't."

That email exchange, divulged in a couple of posts by Penn State blogger Ray Blehar, have people in Penn State Nation talking about prosecutorial misconduct. Naturally, the A.G.'s office has nothing to say about it, as an office spokesperson declined comment today.

The 2011 grand jury report said that back when he visited the Penn State showers in 2001, Mike McQueary heard "rhythmic, slapping sounds." Then, he peered into the showers and "saw a naked boy, Victim No. 2, whose age he estimated to be ten years old, with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Jerry Sandusky."

But McQueary wrote Eshbach, while copying Agent Anthony Sassano, "I feel my words are slightly twisted and not totally portrayed correctly in the presentment."

"I cannot say 1000 percent sure that it was sodomy. I did not see insertion," McQueary wrote. "It was a sexual act and or way over the line in my opinion whatever it was."

McQueary also complained about the media attention he was getting.

"National media, and public opinion has totally, in every single way, ruined me," McQueary wrote. "For what?"

Later that same day, McQueary wrote a second email to Eshbach and Sassano.

"Also," McQueary wrote, "I never went to Coach Paterno's house with my father . . . It was me and only me . . . he was out of town the night before . . . never ever have I seen JS [Jerry Sandusky] with a child at one of our practices . . . "

The reference about his father not accompanying him to a meeting with Joe Paterno was probably McQueary's attempt to correct a mistake in a Nov. 5, 2011 Sara Ganim story about the grand jury presentment that ran in the Harrisburg Patriot News.

In her story, Ganim wrote that according to the indictment, "On March 1, 2002, the night before Spring Break, a Penn State graduate assistant walked into the Penn State football locker room around 9:30 p.m. and witnessed Sandusky having sex with about 10 years old . . . The next morning, the witness and his father told head football coach Joe Paterno, who immediately told athletic director Tim Curley."

Then, McQueary returned to the subject of the bad publicity he was getting over the grand jury report.

"I am being misrepresented in the media," McQueary wrote. "It just is not right."

That's what prompted Eshback to write, "I know that a lot of this stuff is incorrect and it is hard to to respond. But you can't."

Former NCIS and FIS Special Agent John Snedden, a Penn State alum, was blown away by Eshbach's email response to McQueary.

"It's incredible, it's evidence of prosecutorial misconduct, trying to steer a witness's testimony," Snedden said. "It shows that the prosecution's manipulating the information, throwing out what they don't want and padding what they do want . . . It very strongly suggests a fictitious presentment."

During the defamation suit McQueary filed against Penn State, Eshbach was sworn in as a witness and asked to explain what she meant by telling McQueary not to talk.

"My advice to Mr. McQueary not to make a statement was based on the strengthening of my -- and saving of my case," Eshbach testified. "I did not want him [McQueary] making statements to the press at that time that could at some time be used against him in cross-examination. He [McQueary] was perfectly free to make a statement, but I asked him not to."

There's another angle to the prosecutorial misconduct story line -- this email exchange between McQueary and Eshbach that was reported on by Blehar was not turned over by the prosecution to defense lawyers during the Sandusky trial and the trial of former Penn State president Graham Spanier.

While we're on the subject of prosecutorial misconduct, at the Spanier trial, it was McQueary who testified that during the bye week of the 2011 Penn State football season, he got a call on his cell phone from the attorney general's office, tipping him off that "We're going to arrest folks and we are going to leak it out."

The fact that Mike McQueary didn't see a naked Jerry Sandusky having anal intercourse in the showers with a 10-year-old boy isn't the only erroneous assumption that came out of that shoddy 2011 grand jury report, Blehar wrote.

"The Sandusky grand jury presentment of Nov. 4, 2011 provided a misleading account of what eyewitness Michael McQueary reported to Joe Paterno about the 2001 incident," Blehar wrote. "Rather than stating what McQueary reported, it stated he reported 'what he had seen' which led the media and the public to erroneously conclude the specific details were reported to Paterno."

Keep in mind what the grand jury report said McQueary had seen -- a naked Sandusky having anal intercourse in the showers with a 10-year-old boy -- never actually happened, according to McQueary.

The grand jury report said:

"The graduate assistant went to his office and called his father, reporting to him what he had seen . . . The graduate assistant and his father decided that the graduate assistant had to promptly report what he had seen to Coach Joe Paterno . . . The next morning, a Saturday, the graduate assistant telephoned Paterno and went to Paterno's home, where he reported what he had seen."

Blehar cited the words of Joe Paterno, who issued a statement on Nov. 6, 2011, saying that McQueary had "at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the grand jury report."

McQueary agreed.

On Dec. 6, 2011, McQueary was asked under oath whether he had ever used the term "anal sodomy" in talking to Paterno.

"I've never used that term," McQueary said. "I would have explained to him the positions they were in roughly, but it was definitely sexual, but I have never used the word anal or rape in this since day one."

So what exactly did you tell Paterno, the prosecutor asked McQueary.

"I gave a brief description of what I saw," McQueary testified. "You don't -- ma'am, you don't go to Coach Paterno or at least in my mind and I don't go to Coach Paterno and go into great detail of sexual acts. I would have never done that with him ever."

Blehar also points out that not even the jury in the Sandusky case believed that Sandusky had anally raped Victim No. 2 in the Penn State showers, because they came to a not guilty verdict on the count of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse.

Blehar then cites four other witnesses in the case who also testified that McQueary never used sexual terms in describing what he had allegedly seen in the shower.

"Subsequent testimony in numerous proceedings from 2011 through 2017 by John McQueary, Dr. [John] Dranov, [former Penn State Athletic Director Tim] Curley and [former Penn State VP Gary] Schutz confirmed that no explicitly sexual terms were used by McQueary when he described what he actually saw," Blehar wrote.

In his second email to Eshbach, McQueary stated, "I never went to Coach Paterno's house with my father . . . It was me and only me . . . he was out the night before . . ."

In the email, McQueary doesn't say who the he was who was out the night before. In his blog post, Blehar takes the he as a reference to McQueary's father.

"Wait, what?" Blehar writes. "Paterno was in State College on Friday night. If this statement is true, then Mike did NOT meet with his father (and Dr. Dranov) immediately after the incident(because John Sr. was 'out of town.')"

"Another fabrication?" writes Blehar. "And the AG knew it."

In handwritten notes written in 2010, McQueary doesn't mention any meeting with his father and Dr. Dranov. Instead, he writes that he "drove to my parents' house" and "spoke with my father about the incident and received advice."

He also reiterates, "to be clear: from the time I walked into the locker room to the time I left was maybe one minute -- I was hastened & a bit flustered."

A hazy one-minute memory that McQueary himself admitted he had no idea "whatever it was" he had actually witnessed.

But it was a hazy, one-minute memory that the AG's office wrote an entire grand jury presentment around. How weak is that?

It was flimsy evidence like this that led Special Agent Snedden to conclude that McQueary was not a credible witness back in 2012 when Snedden was investigating whether former Penn State President Spanier deserved to have his high-level security clearance with the federal government renewed. Snedden wrote a recently declassified 110-page report that concluded there was no cover up at Penn State because there was no sex crime to cover up.

Because McQueary gave five different accounts over the years of what he supposedly witnessed during that one minute in the Penn State showers.

"I'd love to see McQueary's cell phone records, absent whatever dick pics he was sending out that day," Snedden cracked, referring to the day McQueary witnessed the shower incident, and then called his father to figure out what to do.

"Did he even call his dad?" Snedden wondered.

Snedden renewed his call for an independent investigation of the entire Penn State scandal, and the attorney general's role in manipulating evidence in the case.

"Anybody who cares about justice needs to be screaming for a special prosecutor in this case," Snedden said.

John Ziegler, a journalist who has covered the Penn State scandal since day one, agreed.

"This seems like blatant OAG misconduct and an indication that they were acutely aware their case had major problems," Ziegler wrote in an email. "Eshbach's response is stunning in that it admits errors in grand jury presentment and tells Mike to shut up about it."

Ziegler said the possibility that Mike McQueary never met with his father and Dr. Dranov, his father's boss, in an emergency meeting, if true, was big news.

"This is HUGE for several reasons," Ziegler wrote. The meeting, which supposedly occurred on the night McQueary witnessed the shower incident was the "ONLY piece of evidence that has EVER been consistent with Mike witnessing something horrible/dramatic" in the Penn State showers. And that's why "Dranov was brought in to meet with him [Mike McQueary] late on a Friday night in February," Ziegler said.

The AG's office, Ziegler speculated, "is desperate for evidence that Mike did something dramatic in reaction to" witnessing the shower incident.

And if the he McQueary was referring to in the email to Eshbach wasn't his father but was really Joe Paterno, Ziegler said, then that's another problem with the official Penn State story line. Because according to his family, Joe Paterno was in town that night and presumably available for an emergency meeting with a distraught assistant who had just witnessed a horrible sex crime in the shower.

If he really did see an anal rape ongoing in the shower, however, does the McQueary story, in any of its versions, make any sense?

McQueary didn't rush into the shower and try to save a helpless, 10-year-old boy.

He didn't call the police.

Unfortunately, the only way the media reports that he isn’t guilty is if it happens in a court of law, which, with Pennsylvania’s current political climate, won’t happen anytime soon. And even if it were to happen, they would bury it on the back pages.

You may be right, but I am not so sure.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court just recently freed Bill Cosby in a case where there is credible evidence that the convicted may have been a sexual predator. If they are concerned about due process in that case, you might think they may have some concerns about a case where the lead prosecutor was sanctioned, the convicted’s constitutional rights were trampled and there is compelling evidence that no crime was committed.

I understand the track record of the Pa. judiciary thus far in the case and that Pa. judges have to face voters on a regular basis and are unduly influenced by public opinion. However, I do not think it is too much of a stretch to think they could possibly make a ruling that would give Sandusky’s appeal traction.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems evident to me that the OAG was guilty of grand jury leaks, juror tampering, Brady violations and a host of other misconduct.

I hope that a favorable ruling comes soon. If it doesn’t, I believe it will eventually happen as the facts and the law are on the defense’s side, too many people know what actually happened, and there is an extensive record of the facts of the case both in the legal record as well as the records of the accounts of Ziegler, Cipriano, Pendergast, Snedden, Crews and others.

Last edited:
Also cigar worthy -
The Sandusky Grand Jury "Presentment" of Nov. 5, 2011, a summary of secret grand jury testimony, stated that, on March 1, 2002, a Penn State graduate assistant (later identified as Mike McQueary) had gone to the Lasch Football Building at Penn State around 9:30 p.m. As he entered the locker room, he heard "rhythmic, slapping sounds" that sounded sexual to him. "He looked in the shower. He saw a naked boy, Victim 2, whose age he estimated to be ten years old, with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky."
Because grand jury testimony is supposed to be secret, there is no available public transcript to show exactly what Mike McQueary said there, but it is clear from everything else he said about this incident, including his subsequent courtroom testimony, that he did not witness sodomy or any other form of sexual abuse that day in the Lasch locker room. His version of events morphed over time, but none of the narratives included witnessing overt sexual abuse.
Here’s what appears to have happened. On a Friday night, February 9, 2001, a full year earlier than the inaccurate date in the Grand Jury Presentment, Jerry Sandusky was indeed taking a shower with a Second Mile boy in the locker room of the Lasch Football Building.

Sandusky took it for granted that boys and men showered together after exercise. It was part of the way he was raised, an accepted part of the sports world. Though he had retired as a Penn State coach two years before, he could still use the facilities, and he sometimes brought the troubled Second Mile boys there for a workout, followed by a shower.
As he often did, Sandusky, whom everyone considered “a big kid” himself, was goofing around with the boy. They were snapping towels at each other, or perhaps slap boxing, according to both Sandusky and the boy in the shower. Mike McQueary, then 26, who had been a Penn State quarterback as an undergraduate, was halfway through his post-graduate education, while working as an assistant football coach. This Friday evening, he came to the Lasch building to retrieve tapes of possible recruits. On the way, he figured he might as well put his new shoes away in the locker room.

Before he opened the door to the locker room, McQueary heard slapping sounds. He thought they sounded sexual. As McQueary later put it when describing the scene, “Visualizations come to your head.” By the time he got to his locker at the near end of the wall, it had quieted down. Curious, he looked obliquely into the shower room through a mirror across the room and caught a glimpse of a boy in the shower. Then an arm reached out and pulled the boy back. Horrified, he assumed that he had just overheard the sounds of child sexual abuse. After closing his locker, he saw Jerry Sandusky walk out of the shower. Was his former coach a pedophile?

McQueary quickly left the building and called his father, John McQueary, and told him his suspicions. His father advised him to come right over to talk about it. Then John McQueary called his employer and friend, Dr. Jonathan Dranov, a nephrologist, asking him to come over and help them sort out Mike’s disturbing experience.
Dranov attempted, using the diagnostic and interviewing skills that he used with patients, to get a clear description of the scene that had so upset his friend’s son. Dranov was unable to get Mike McQueary to put into words anything sexual he had seen, in spite of asking several times, “But what did you see?” McQueary explained that he had seen a boy in the shower, and that an arm had then reached out to pull him back. Dranov asked if the boy had looked scared or upset. No. Did Mike actually see any sexual act? No. McQueary kept returning to the “sexual” sounds.
Upon the advice of his father and Dr. Dranov, Mike McQueary took his concerns to legendary head coach Joe Paterno at his home the next day. Apparently because McQueary did not actually witness anything sexual, they did not suggest he contact the police, nor did they feel called upon to do so.
This was the only initiative McQueary ever took connected with the shower incident. Paterno subsequently told his immediate supervisor, Athletic Director Tim Curley, about it, who told Vice President Gary Schultz and university President Graham Spanier. Curley and Schultz met with McQueary to hear what he had seen and heard. From that conversation, they concluded that Sandusky had been “horsing around” with a kid and that, while it was not sexual abuse, it wasn’t a good idea, particularly because they remembered that a parent had complained back in 1998 about Sandusky showering with her child (details on that incident shortly).
So Curley told Sandusky that as a result of someone (he didn’t name McQueary) complaining about the shower incident, he should stop working out with Second Mile kids on campus, and there the matter was left, case closed.
McQueary apparently calmed down and accepted that he may have overreacted and that perhaps Sandusky had just been “horsing around.” He remained at least overtly friendly with Jerry Sandusky over the following years. He signed up for the Sandusky Celebrity Golf Event in the fall of 2001, just four months after the shower incident, then took part in other Sandusky charity-related events, such as flag football fund-raisers coached by Sandusky in March 2002 and April 2004 and another golf event in 2003.
By the time the police questioned McQueary about the shower incident in late 2010, he couldn’t remember exactly when it occurred, and he said that it happened during spring break of 2002, more than a year after the actual date. At the time, McQueary was a 6’ 4”, 220-pound 26-year-old. Some critics would later question why, if he had witnessed horrifying child sexual abuse, he would not have rushed in to put a stop to the behavior.
McQueary’s story changed several times after the police told him that they knew Sandusky was a pedophile, as we will see in Chapter 12. In response to the police telling him that Sandusky was a child molester, McQueary searched his decade-old memory and now “remembered” something that he had not reported back in 2001 -- that he had seen Sandusky with his hips moving against a boy’s backside in the shower.
In short, Mike McQueary did not witness Jerry Sandusky sodomizing a 10-year-old boy in the shower, although he later came to believe that he had. At the time of the incident, he overheard slapping sounds and interpreted them as being sexual.
We know a great deal more about this incident because we know the identity of that boy, a Second Miler named Allan Myers, who was nearly 14 years old at the time, not ten, and who remained friends with Sandusky until after the allegations created a public furor in November 2011. Sandusky later recalled that shower with Myers in a 2013 interview with reporter John Ziegler:
“He [Allan] turned on every shower [and] he was like wild, he put soap on himself and was sliding, he was seeing how far he could slide. I remember that. Then we may have been like slapping towels, slap boxing, doing something like that.”
Here Sandusky laughed, remembering that “he [Allan] always, no matter what, he’d always get the last lick in."
Recalling his relationship with Allan Myers, Sandusky said, “He was like family. We did all kinds of things together. We studied. We tutored. We worked out. He went to California with my wife and me twice. He spoke for the Second Mile numerous times.” This all took place after the 2001 shower incident. “He asked me to speak at his high school graduation, and I did. He stayed with us the summer after his high school graduation, worked part-time jobs with classes. He would go home on weekends. We went to his wedding.”
Indeed, Myers, a Marine who had recently received an honorable discharge at the time the allegations broke, came forward to defend Sandusky, telling Sandusky’s lawyer and his investigator, Curtis Everhart, what had actually happened.
Myers, born on Feb. 28, 1987, had endured his parents’ volatile marriage, in which he witnessed his father threatening his mother with a gun. His guidance counselor suggested Myers for the Second Mile program, which he attended as a fourth and fifth grader, getting to know Jerry Sandusky the second year. Myers said that Sandusky was a “father figure” associated with “many positive events” in his life. On “Senior Night” at a West Branch High School football game, Myers asked Sandusky to walk out onto the field with his mother, as the loudspeaker announced, “Father, Jerry Sandusky,” along with his mother’s name.
About the McQueary shower incident, Myers said, "This particular night is very clear in my mind.” In the shower after a workout, he and Sandusky "were slapping towels at each other, trying to sting each other. I would slap the walls and would slide on the shower floor, which I am sure you could have heard from the wooden locker area." Myers said that he recalled hearing a locker slam but he never saw who closed it. Although McQueary would later claim that both Sandusky and Myers saw him, neither of them had any idea he was there that night.
Myers repeatedly and emphatically denied that Jerry Sandusky had ever sexually abused him. “Never, ever, did anything like that occur.” Yes, Sandusky had put his hand on his left knee while he was driving, but that didn’t bother him. “I often would stay at Jerry’s home overnight,” he said. “Jerry never violated me while I was at his home or anywhere else. On many occasions there were numerous people at his home. I felt very safe and at ease at his home, whether alone with Jerry or with others present.”

The only thing that made Myers feel uncomfortable and violated was his September 2011 interview with Pennsylvania State Police officers. “They would try to put words in my mouth, take my statement out of context. The PSP investigators were clearly angry and upset when I would not say what they wanted to hear. My final words to the PSP were, ‘I will never have anything bad to say about Jerry.’”

Allan Myers also wrote a letter to the newspaper and the Pennsylvania attorney general and submitted a sworn statement to both the Pennsylvania State Police and a private investigator to the effect that he was not abused that night or any other time by Jerry Sandusky.
“I am one of those many Second Mile kids who became a part of Jerry’s ‘family.’ He has been a best friend, tutor, workout mentor and more,” Myers wrote to the attorney general. “We’ve worked together, competed together, traveled together and laughed together. I lived with Jerry and Dottie for three months. Jerry’s been there for me for 13 years; and stood beside me at my senior parent’s football night. I drove twelve hours to attend his mom’s funeral. I don’t know what I would have done without him.”

Myers wrote that letter on May 1, 2011. But like so many Second Milers, Myers subsequently found a lawyer, Andrew Shubin, and joined the throng of those seeking millions of dollars in compensation for alleged abuse. He did not testify at the trial, however. Both prosecution and defense lawyers knew that Allan Myers was the boy in the 2001 McQueary shower incident, but for their own strategic reasons, neither chose to identify him, so that the jury never learned that Myers was in fact the anonymous “Victim Number 2.”
The McQueary story of the alleged sodomy-in-the-shower became the linchpin of the entire case against Sandusky, lighting a fire under the investigation and creating a media firestorm, and it is what led to the firing of Penn State University President Graham Spanier and football Head Coach Joe Paterno, as well as subsequent lawsuits against Spanier and former Penn State administrators Gary Schultz and Tim Curley.

Ironically, the sodomy charge of “involuntary deviate sexual intercourse” in the McQueary incident was among the few for which the jury found Sandusky not guilty, since the witness did not say that he had literally seen penetration. The jury did find Sandusky guilty of four other McQueary-related charges: “indecent assault, unlawful contact with a minor, corruption of minors and endangering a child's welfare.”

Professor Crews discusses how his essay was rejected by the conservative religious magazine First Things in spite of having letters of endorsement submitted by Noam Chomsky, Elizabeth Loftus, Carol Tavris, and Jerry Coyne among others.

Since Crews's story about the backstory of his failure to get his essay published in a national outlet is brief (a 2 minute read), I thought I would post it for those interested. It is amazing to me that the mainstream media has such an aversion to publish anything by anyone that suggests the obvious that Sandusky, Spanier, Curley and Schultz did not receive a fair trial and that there is a dearth of credible evidence that suggests that anyone is guilty of anything and that anyone was harmed by anybody. In any case, here is the backstory.
-----------

The Unspeakable Sandusky​

Frederick Crews
Frederick Crews

2 days ago·2 min read

Several years ago, after reading a formidable but neglected book by Mark Pendergrast called The Most Hated Man in America: Jerry Sandusky and the Rush to Judgment, I joined the small group of skeptics who have concluded that America’s paramount sexual villain is nothing of the sort. Sandusky, now 77 years old, has been imprisoned since 2012, but he still insists on his innocence, and–believe it or not–there isn’t a shred of credible evidence that he ever molested anyone. Indeed, it is now known that he was physically as well as morally incapable of doing so.

Since Sandusky first began to be demonized in the press, 14 months before his trial, no print magazine has published a single word in his defense. Until recently, I hit the same wall myself when trying to place an essay detailing the many troubling aspects of the case. My luck seemed to change, though, in December 2020 when an editor at the conservative religious magazine First Things solicited my essay, provocatively titled “Saint Sandusky?” Although I am neither conservative nor religious, I found a tolerant atmosphere among the staff. The article was scheduled for publication on July 9, 2021, in the magazine’s August/September number.

Anticipating outrage and canceled subscriptions, the editors asked me to gather favorable opinions that could be posted online to cushion the blow. Easily done. In circulating my drafts to friends and acquaintances, I had already accumulated many heartfelt endorsements. First Things intended to post statements submitted by Noam Chomsky, Elizabeth Loftus, Carol Tavris, and Jerry Coyne among others. But those testimonials didn’t appear, because . . . the article didn’t, either.

First Things is a vehicle of the Institute on Religion and Public Life. At the eleventh hour, as the mortified editors informed me, the institute’s Catholic board canceled publication of my article. Perhaps you can guess the reason: the Church has a pedophilia problem, and Jerry Sandusky is assumed to be a pedophile. It was thought best to avoid any association, however remote, between Catholicism and his cause.

To my mind, this timidity is sadly ironic. Sweeping sexual abuse under the rug has been routine policy for the Church, and it has only magnified the worldwide scandal of predation and hypocrisy among the anointed. Moreover, we know that some priests have been falsely accused by fortune seekers–an exact parallel to the Sandusky case, as my essay shows. And finally, Jerry Sandusky himself happens to be a devout Methodist. The editors of First Things had supplied their guardians with every reason to believe that a man of faith has been wrongly incarcerated, but that consideration was overruled by image polishing. As I wrote to the editors, “Your board is Catholic, but it isn’t Christian.”

“Saint Sandusky?” can now be found on Medium:

If you want to see (but not post or publish) the statements of support, write to me at crewsfrederick1@gmail.com..

Frederick Crews​

Frederick Crews is Professor Emeritus of English at the University of California, Berkeley. His most recent book is Freud: The Making of an Illusion (2017).

https://medium.com/m/signin?actionU...d---------------------clap_sidebar-----------

You should never hit a female- although if the blonde chick really did make a 'Rapelisberger' joke while you were tryna teach the Froshman your Joe Krispin mix... not gonna lie I'd probably be laffing on the inside when you Hines Ward stiff-armed her into the 2nd row.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT