ADVERTISEMENT

Wisky (6) to play Miami (9)...

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Well, according to pre-season hype those teams were numbers 6 and 9 :rolleyes: according to espn power rankings. [Both are ranked in the 50's now]

What could/should have been glorious years for both with a shot at the playoffs turned into a rematch from hell in the pinstrip bowl.

Guess that's why they play the games :)

BTW, we (currently 10th) were pegged at 8th and with a win over KY should be right about there.

Well, according to pre-season hype those teams were numbers 6 and 9 :rolleyes: according to espn power rankings. [Both are ranked in the 50's now]

What could/should have been glorious years for both with a shot at the playoffs turned into a rematch from hell in the pinstrip bowl.

BTW, we (currently 10th) were pegged at 8th and with a win over KY should be right about there.

I understand why Wiscy was preseason ranked where they were but I have no idea what these pollsters saw in Miami to give them a top 10 preseason ranking. Apparently they missed the beat down of their last 3 games to end the season. They were overrated to start with. All they had was the "turnover chain" hype.
And I just realized that Miami lost to Wiscy in the Orange bowl last year.
So that was the best matchup the Pinstripe Bowl could get?

Yep. Highlights how stoopid pre-season (or even early-season) rankings are.
Between the two of them, UW and UM compiled a 14-10 mark (9-8 in conference.... and Wisconsin was actually 4th, and Miami 8th, in the pre-season AP Poll)

Add in:
Auburn 7-5 (3-5 in SEC) who was 9th in the pre-season
Michigan State 7-5 (5-4 in B10) who was 11th.
USC 5-7 (4-5 in the P12) who was 15th
TCU 6-6 (4-5 in the B12) who was 16th
FSU 5-7 (3-5 in ACC) who was 19th
Virginia Tech 6-6 (4-4 in ACC) who was 20th

Imagine the reaction here if PSU has a pre-season top 10 ranking and ends up 7-5 or 6-6

These things are mostly turkey-shoots..... and once you get past the first 4 or 5, downright idiotic. (Of course, that won't prevent folks from rushing out to pick up all the pre-season rags the day they arrive at the bookstands)

I don't know; there's something about those pre-season mags that gets the blood moving for the upcoming season.

_PBB3535_1.JPG
tempac091612ds2083--nflmezz12801024.jpg

For 15 of the last 16 years one of the AP preseason top 10 teams ends up not in the top 25 at seasons end. A national sports talk radio show was predicting who it would be this year. PSU has the most votes.

Reactions: ChiTownLion

But, but, but....eyetest! Body of work! Lol!

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU
Highlights how stoopid pre-season (or even early-season) rankings are.
I agree with you....
I recall Penn State being ranked very high and Coach Paterno asked to talk about the ranking. Don't remember verbatim, but was something to the effect of no poll ranking the teams should come out until after the first game in October is played.

OL

the polls are now utterly meaningless
My son is 18 and an avid CFB fan. He says the worst thing about the playoff to him is, likely you lose once and you will struggle to get into the playoff. Definitely a second loss (as PSU has done the last two seasons) and it almost renders your season over. Honestly, I see where he's coming from with that. After the MSU loss, Penn State 100% out of playoffs, 100% out of conference battle. And, now all the emphasis on the NY6, puts a really large damper on your season if your aren't in one of those bowls.
When it all boils down to it, you are correct...the rankings mean little to nothing anymore.

OL

Wisconsin was clearly overrated but things really went south when Hornibrook got hurt. Coan was way over his head.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU
Coble?

If you were intending to reference COAN, that kid - after PSU thumped him - won the Purdue game for them

If it were not for Hornibrook being re-inserted into the lineup, they probably beat Minnesota as well..... rather than getting trounced w Hornibrook under center.
Yes, Coan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT