ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin has their QB under center and use a fullback

What's the matter with them? Don't they know that doesn't work any more?
Says who ? If you study the game over the years you should know how many different formations have been used in the game Joe used the I formally aka the T for years then switched , so go figure

I was watching one of the later afternoon games when in the second half a QB went under center in a short yardage situation and picked up a quick first down over the left side. The announcers we all jazzed because it was the first time that QB had been under center the entire game. I was jealous.

Inability to put the QB under center is a handicap IMO. Don’t need to do it often necessarily, but being able to do a QB sneak in some situations can help a lot.

Evidently QB sneaks are highly over rated.... like fullbacks I suppose....

Wisconsin has beaten up Michigan so bad they have literally quit. Michigan seriously looks like they are afraid of getting their uniforms dirty. I didn't think anyone could be as physically humiliated as we have been the last few weeks, but Michigan just surpassed us tonight. They look like a team full of 120 pound weaklings. They are a total embarrassment to the game of football.

Reactions: NobleOne
Inability to put the QB under center is a handicap IMO. Don’t need to do it often necessarily, but being able to do a QB sneak in some situations can help a lot.

In my opinion, this will go down as one of the great illustrations of Franklin's stubbornness and failure to change.

Refusing to have a QB sneak from under center in your playbook is mindnumbingly stupid. How many 3rd-and-short or 4th-and-short situations over the years have we failed to convert because we initiated the play in the shotgun 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage and failed to get a push up front?

Forget Wisconsin. Ohio State has no problems running a QB sneak. Neither does Clemson or Bama or virtually anybody else.

We are dogmatic in our rejection of lining up under center. No QB sneak, no play action, no bootleg.

It's pretty silly.

Let's see how well Wisconsin's offense plays if they get behind by 2 TDs? They beat a 1-3 Illinois team and a 1-3 Michigan team. Does Clemson, Alabama, or OSU use a FB? Those coaches must all be dummies,

Reactions: DandyDonII
Let's see how well Wisconsin's offense plays if they get behind by 2 TDs? They beat a 1-3 Illinois team and a 1-3 Michigan team. Does Clemson, Alabama, or OSU use a FB? Those coaches must all be dummies,

Who cares? Nobody is claiming they're Bama or Ohio State or Clemson. But they're a damn good team that would bulldoze us if we played.

The FB thing is sorta irrelevant, but going under center gives you a lot of options -- especially in 3rd/4th and short situations. Not to mention the play action opportunities it provides. The fact that we don't have an under-center option is pretty silly when you think about how high % such conversions are.

Joe Rudolph - UW OC since 2015

PSU OCs since 2015 - Donovan,Moorhead, Rahne, Ciarrocca

You can be successful with many systems but you can't get any consistency with constant changes to staff.
Yea, they have a history and identity that Alvarez molded and they are sticking to it.......Chryst himself comes from a Wisconsin family of football......and hand-picked early on as an assistant coach to Alvarez.....Joe Rudolph (OC) and Jim Leonard (DC) and Chris MacIntosh (deputy AD) all = former Wisconsin kids, all-Americans, pro careers, and Alvarez players...They continue to get the top Wisconsin high school players for the gutty part of football.....great running backs continue to come to them from the East coast (Ron Dayne is on Alvarez's management team).......and now they are starting to see the skilled positions (receivers, DBs, and now this freshman QB) finding their way here. I think Barry retires after his grandson finishes his football career here..........but he will leave the program in a good place to continue on without him. I am sure they will give him a good skybox to sit back and enjoy watching what he built.

Reactions: PSUTENN1
Yea, they have a history and identity that Alvarez molded and they are sticking to it.......Chryst himself comes from a Wisconsin family of football......and hand-picked early on as an assistant coach to Alvarez.....Joe Rudolph (OC) and Jim Leonard (DC) and Chris MacIntosh (deputy AD) all = former Wisconsin kids, all-Americans, pro careers, and Alvarez players...They continue to get the top Wisconsin high school players for the gutty part of football.....great running backs continue to come to them from the East coast (Ron Dayne is on Alvarez's management team).......and now they are starting to see the skilled positions (receivers, DBs, and now this freshman QB) finding their way here. I think Barry retires after his grandson finishes his football career here..........but he will leave the program in a good place to continue on without him. I am sure they will give him a good skybox to sit back and enjoy watching what he built.
PSU tradition was eliminated by 2011 home-grown BOT terrorists....

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
What has it gotten them? People complain about Penn State offense yet Franklin has more too 10 season in the last four years then Wisconsin has In the last 10 years.

As others have said, Wisconsin looked fast and strong last night. In the past, Wisconsin was well prepared and executed its good plan well but seemed to lack the speed and strength to compete with the top programs. I think wisconsin is going to give Ohio State a run for its money this year (if the game happens).

What's the matter with them? Don't they know that doesn't work any mor
When we played a quate
When we played our QB under center, everyone had a fit. There is no satisfying the people who watch Sports. They are critical of everything. That said we aren't very good this year. First team since Pitt to be ranked at the beginning of the season and loose 4 games. Sad to be associated with Pitt.

Who cares? Nobody is claiming they're Bama or Ohio State or Clemson. But they're a damn good team that would bulldoze us if we played.

The FB thing is sorta irrelevant, but going under center gives you a lot of options -- especially in 3rd/4th and short situations. Not to mention the play action opportunities it provides. The fact that we don't have an under-center option is pretty silly when you think about how high % such conversions are.

What is our record vs Wisky in the last 10 years? Yes, they are better than us this year. So are at least 50 other teams that don't use a FB. Putting a FB in does not make us instantly better. Michigan tries to force a FB in their spread offense, It works when they are winning and doesn't when they are losing spectacularly.

Reactions: DandyDonII
What is our record vs Wisky in the last 10 years? Yes, they are better than us this year. So are at least 50 other teams that don't use a FB. Putting a FB in does not make us instantly better. Michigan tries to force a FB in their spread offense, It works when they are winning and doesn't when they are losing spectacularly.

Please re-read what I said about fullbacks.

Going under center, however, is something that we should absolutely figure out a way to do. For obvious reasons.

Reactions: BBrown
Joe Rudolph - UW OC since 2015

PSU OCs since 2015 - Donovan,Moorhead, Rahne, Ciarrocca

You can be successful with many systems but you can't get any consistency with constant changes to staff.

One of the biggest reasons for Paterno's success in his first 20 or so years, consistency in his coaching staff. One of the biggest reasons cited for Paterno's lesser success later in his career, consistency in his coaching staff. I've come to the conclusion after all these years that winning is the key to success. Whatever your doing when you win is good, whatever you are doing when you are losing is bad. Anyone remember when Paterno wouldn't use shotgun and it drove everyone crazy? Now lots of people want us back under center and a FB. I just want us to win, even if that means using a FB as a QB lined up under center.

When we played our QB under center, everyone had a fit. There is no satisfying the people who watch Sports. They are critical of everything. That said we aren't very good this year. First team since Pitt to be ranked at the beginning of the season and loose 4 games. Sad to be associated with Pitt.
Nobody is saying that the entire offense should be QB under center.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT