ADVERTISEMENT

Willie's Mailbag - Carbonara edition

If SC Margarita is anything close to NYC franchise, I would vouch for it.
Tikk, ever been to John’s on Bleeker?
A few times, yeah, it's not far from me. It was spoiled by its success, so they rush things because they're making tourist money. There are two places within walking distance that do pizza similarly but better, Lombardi's on Spring St and Arturo's on Houston St. Only a few blocks away from John's is Joe's on Carmine St., which is widely considered one of the best single-slice places in the city.

And if you're in Rome and want to taste the best carbonara in town, this is your place. Filled with local families and those that know, not a ton of tourists. I never miss having a meal at Perilli when in Rome.

El Jefe and Dogwelder are in charge of entertainment.

Thats what got Fresno State in trouble.
tenor.gif

Last edited:
Cael was creative with Rokfin and with the continuation of the NLWC during the plague but apparently he is missing the boat here.

Bring in Bordeaux for the Italian, others for their specialities (brisket), Histone for Cheesecake, and have the food fundraiser. Tikk can document the event.

I gave up trying to make weight years ago. I'M IN! I'll bring my customized fork and knife set that I ordered from Stand with Pride.
FYI, @hlstone makes banging brisket and pizza too! Oh, and his cheesesteaks and fried chicken are awesome!

Willie...Willie...Willie...where to begin. Let's start with the positives. Good enthusiasm. Excellent confidence. No measuring. Well rounded knowledge of cooking techniques and practices. You get high marks here, and frankly anyone without these attributes has no business in the kitchen. What does all this mean? I can work with you. Spend some time in the room and I'm sure I can level you up.
Let's talk about where we can sharpen your knives a little bit.
#1. Ingredients. You at least realize that you need a better pantry. That said, you can't even call it carbonara if you are using bacon. Guanciale is what makes carbonara. You can use pancetta if you must, but only very high quality pancetta like that from Parma Sausage on the Strip in Pittsburgh. Theirs is a worthy substitute. Bacon is smoked. It makes another dish altogether. It's like cradling someone and calling it a spladle It's still a cradle. Let's call this Willie's Bacon and Shrimp Pasta. Fantastico!
#2. There is no cream of any kind in carbonara, period. Ever. That's Alfredo Sauce.
#3. There's no onion in carbonara.
#4. There's no garlic in carbonara.
#5. In authentic Italian (and I don't mean Jersey) sauces, you can use onions or garlic. But never together. They may go together in other recipes like Osso Buco, but not in a sauce.
#6 Italian seasoning...throw that in the garbage or use it for salad dressing.
#7 I'm not sure what brand of pasta that was, but you cooked it for 14 minutes. I was developing anxiety after 12 minutes.
So carbonara is these ingredients only: Pasta, guanciale, Pecorino Romana, eggs (you're correct on the 2 yolks/1 egg part), and fresh cracked pepper. Simplicity...it is the essence of true Italian cuisine.
Willie, give me your mailing address and I'll send you a care package with all the proper ingredients. Then you make it as I instruct and post the results. It will be life changing.
Then we will tackle Amatriciana next! You can be my wing man any time!
giphy.gif

My girl made some great carbonara with bacon so you know, you can take it up with her! NO RAGDOLLING.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
And btw, go big or go home. @lionlover should be in charge of entertainment.
Hell No!!! Not Lionlover! My goal in life is never to meet Bordeaux's wife in her professional capacity. Lionlover would definitely put me there.

The other night I checked the wife's phone and so far no listing for Erie Man Killing Divorce Attorneys. Let's keep it that way.

Take this as a compliment Lionlover.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT