ADVERTISEMENT

Willie's Mailbag - Carbonara edition

Good stuff as usual.

Though my Italian in-laws would excommunicate Willie from the Church of the Holy Pasta for the blasphemous sin of breaking his pasta.

Also, @Tom McAndrew we may need to start a weekly Mike C. Watch -- offhand I don't think Mike C. has made an appearance yet.

Lol yeah my Italian family would kill him

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Good stuff as usual.

Though my Italian in-laws would excommunicate Willie from the Church of the Holy Pasta for the blasphemous sin of breaking his pasta.

Also, @Tom McAndrew we may need to start a weekly Mike C. Watch -- offhand I don't think Mike C. has made an appearance yet.

No fresh garlic in the house! Mammamia! Thats even worse than breaking pasta.

Han Solo in carbonara:

STAR13_62b620ee-1065-4f69-9309-b15779f6d587_960x.jpg

break your pasta!

mike c. was credited with my first question i answered ever in the column although i made the question up b/c i'm pretty sure that's what foley did.

he has not made an appearance thereafter and will not.
Willie...Willie...Willie...where to begin. Let's start with the positives. Good enthusiasm. Excellent confidence. No measuring. Well rounded knowledge of cooking techniques and practices. You get high marks here, and frankly anyone without these attributes has no business in the kitchen. What does all this mean? I can work with you. Spend some time in the room and I'm sure I can level you up.
Let's talk about where we can sharpen your knives a little bit.
#1. Ingredients. You at least realize that you need a better pantry. That said, you can't even call it carbonara if you are using bacon. Guanciale is what makes carbonara. You can use pancetta if you must, but only very high quality pancetta like that from Parma Sausage on the Strip in Pittsburgh. Theirs is a worthy substitute. Bacon is smoked. It makes another dish altogether. It's like cradling someone and calling it a spladle It's still a cradle. Let's call this Willie's Bacon and Shrimp Pasta. Fantastico!
#2. There is no cream of any kind in carbonara, period. Ever. That's Alfredo Sauce.
#3. There's no onion in carbonara.
#4. There's no garlic in carbonara.
#5. In authentic Italian (and I don't mean Jersey) sauces, you can use onions or garlic. But never together. They may go together in other recipes like Osso Buco, but not in a sauce.
#6 Italian seasoning...throw that in the garbage or use it for salad dressing.
#7 I'm not sure what brand of pasta that was, but you cooked it for 14 minutes. I was developing anxiety after 12 minutes.
So carbonara is these ingredients only: Pasta, guanciale, Pecorino Romana, eggs (you're correct on the 2 yolks/1 egg part), and fresh cracked pepper. Simplicity...it is the essence of true Italian cuisine.
Willie, give me your mailing address and I'll send you a care package with all the proper ingredients. Then you make it as I instruct and post the results. It will be life changing.
Then we will tackle Amatriciana next! You can be my wing man any time!
giphy.gif

Willie...Willie...Willie...where to begin. Let's start with the positives. Good enthusiasm. Excellent confidence. No measuring. Well rounded knowledge of cooking techniques and practices. You get high marks here, and frankly anyone without these attributes has no business in the kitchen. What does all this mean? I can work with you. Spend some time in the room and I'm sure I can level you up.
#1. Ingredients. You at least realize that you need a better pantry. That said, you can't even call it carbonara if you are using bacon. Guanciale is what makes carbonara. You can use pancetta if you must, but only very high quality pancetta like that from Parma Sausage on the Strip in Pittsburgh. Theirs is a worthy substitute. Bacon is smoked. It makes another dish altogether. It's like cradling someone and calling it a spladle It's still a cradle. Let's call this Willie's Bacon and Shrimp Pasta. Fantastico!
#2. There is no cream of any kind in carbonara, period. Ever. That's Alfredo Sauce.
#5. In authentic Italian (and I don't mean Jersey) sauces, you can use onions or garlic. But never together. They may go together in other recipes like Osso Buco, but not in a sauce.
#7 I'm not sure what brand of pasta that was, but you cooked it for 14 minutes. I was developing anxiety after 12 minutes.
So carbonara is these ingredients only: Pasta, guanciale, Pecorino Romana, eggs (you're correct on the 2 yolks/1 egg part), and fresh cracked pepper. Simplicity...it is the essence of true Italian cuisine.
Willie, give me your mailing address and I'll send you a care package with all the proper ingredients. Then you make it as I instruct and post the results. It will be life changing.
giphy.gif
I have no idea what I just read but I know I liked it

giphy.gif
When’s dinner? I’ll be over!!!

Never had a Sbarro slice, never will. Happy to make NYC pizza recommendations to anyone headed there though.

Bigger question is what pizza, if any, in State College should I try?
I can't vouch for Margarita's but Nerf is right, Faccia Luna and Otto's are both pretty good.

IIRC Otto's pizza is from Hofbrau in Bellefonte, with limited selection, so maybe the original is worth a shot too?

Otherwise ... if you can scrape together some capital, there may be an opportunity.

Reactions: tikk10
I can't vouch for Margarita's but Nerf is right, Faccia Luna and Otto's are both pretty good.

IIRC Otto's pizza is from Hofbrau in Bellefonte, with limited selection, so maybe the original is worth a shot too?

Otherwise ... if you can scrape together some capital, there may be an opportunity.
I think Otto’s is all theirs now—beer infused crust (does it help, I dunno), Wood oven, and a good selection of local meat & cheese.

Last edited:
Depending on the time of the match, Pre or post match its Faccia Luna for me. Get there early as we have had to leave a couple of times due to the wait.

I want to be at the start of the match to see if any duals actually start at any weight not 125.

Last edited:
Folks are in this thread claiming things aren't authentic enough because some *dried* pasta was broken?
That's nothing! I once saw a thread in which folks claimed that Ohio State failed to win the title because their wrestlers did not win enough matches! Can you believe it? They did not do the things required to be champion, and so they were not champion enough! Whut?!? :)

That's nothing! I once saw a thread in which folks claimed that Ohio State failed to win the title because their wrestlers did not win enough matches! Can you believe it? They did not do the things required to be champion, and so they were not champion enough! Whut?!? :)

And obviously, @SpikingWhamos is 0% Italian. Families have been broken because of broken pasta. It's serious sh#$, @SpikingWhamos .

I'm just saying, by the time you reach for the box your claims of purity are over
Cool! I am so hoi pelloi I missed your point completely. Thank you for bringing up the distinction!

I don’t have any expertise, but Google turned up an interesting bit of hearsay:

(From Reddit)

“jimmy_costigan-4y

I spent a month in Italy last year and had a good chance to talk to a couple chefs there. One important lesson I learned from a 2 star Michelin chef in Florence, who told me that neither is superior, rather one chooses a pasta for a dish.

Fresh pasta and dried pasta have very different textures when cooked, and both work well in different dishes and shapes. He told me he'd never make a carbonara with fresh pasta because the soft ingredients and rich, creamy sauce needed something with the brittle, al dente texture of a dried pasta, for example.

That's one man's opinion, but as a man very passionate about pasta, I agree. Some dishes I want dry pasta, some I want fresh, and that's usually the first question I ask myself when deciding on dinner. Fresh or dry, then what sauce and ingredients go well with that”

Never had a Sbarro slice, never will. Happy to make NYC pizza recommendations to anyone headed there though.

Bigger question is what pizza, if any, in State College should I try?
If SC Margarita is anything close to NYC franchise, I would vouch for it.
Tikk, ever been to John’s on Bleeker?

Cool! I am so hoi pelloi I missed your point completely. Thank you for bringing up the distinction!

(From Reddit)

“jimmy_costigan-4y

I spent a month in Italy last year and had a good chance to talk to a couple chefs there. One important lesson I learned from a 2 star Michelin chef in Florence, who told me that neither is superior, rather one chooses a pasta for a dish.

Fresh pasta and dried pasta have very different textures when cooked, and both work well in different dishes and shapes. He told me he'd never make a carbonara with fresh pasta because the soft ingredients and rich, creamy sauce needed something with the brittle, al dente texture of a dried pasta, for example.

That's one man's opinion, but as a man very passionate about pasta, I agree. Some dishes I want dry pasta, some I want fresh, and that's usually the first question I ask myself when deciding on dinner. Fresh or dry, then what sauce and ingredients go well with that”
giphy-downsized-large.gif

(From Reddit)

“jimmy_costigan-4y

To be clear, I make below zero claims of my own purity, pasta or otherwise! I prefer not to break my pasta, my Italian wife prefers that my kids get at least half of each bite in their mouth instead of their face, so I break.

But if you use jarred sauce you can GTFO

Cael was creative with Rokfin and with the continuation of the NLWC during the plague but apparently he is missing the boat here.

Bring in Bordeaux for the Italian, others for their specialities (brisket), Histone for Cheesecake, and have the food fundraiser. Tikk can document the event.

I gave up trying to make weight years ago. I'M IN! I'll bring my customized fork and knife set that I ordered from Stand with Pride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT