ADVERTISEMENT

Will Northwestern put up a fight?

bdgan

May 29, 2008
They lost to Rutgers 24-7
They Beat UTEP 38-7
They lost to Duke 38-14
They beat Minnesota 37-34

I think they could stay within 10 by half before PSU pulls away in the second half.
PSU 38
NW 10

To be honest the next three weeks of PSU football could be boring until the Ohio State game on 10/21.

Best games this weekend:
Utah @ Oregon St (OR St win would knock #10 Utah down)
Florida @ Kentucky (KY win gives FL 2 losses)
LSU @ Miss (Miss win would give LSU 2 losses)
ND at Duke (Duke win gives ND 2 losses)

If on a dry field with no tropical storm wind shears. It will likely be more wide open offense. Time to start oiling all the gears.

They Beat UTEP 38-7
They lost to Duke 38-14

I think they could stay within 10 by half before PSU pulls away in the second half.
PSU 38
NW 10

To be honest the next three weeks of PSU football could be boring until the Ohio State game on 10/21.

Best games this weekend:
I was very surprised when they beat Minny. Minny was an 11 point favorite. NW, obviously, has a ton of mess but it looks like the staff has successfully instilled the "us against the world" mentality.

It is an 11am local time kickoff which is always scary.

I can't imagine NW can hang with our athletes, to be honest. And I don't care about numbers, I care about letters. Meaning, I don't care how much score or give up scoring as long as we get a W and not an L. You have to assume we are going to see more of the same: physical game in the first half but we pull away in the 3rd for a comfortable win in the end.

But it is college ball and who knows? These are the games where team leadership has to step up and make sure that the kids are prepared mentally and physically.

No worries. We win easily. Prediction: this is the game Singleton, Allen, and Potts break off long runs.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Perhaps Minnesota is worse than we thought. Or, maybe, NW is just improving.

I don't expect a close game whatsoever. If they can pass decent, they may put some points on the board late. But we do have to show up.

Reactions: Jerry and Obliviax
They Beat UTEP 38-7
They lost to Duke 38-14

PSU 38
NW 10

Best games this weekend:
I watched that game...felt really good for Northwestern but..my goodness...Fleck better do something quickly with that Minnesota program..this was a very very bad loss for the Gophers..and..funny..as bad as we made IOWA look Saturday..they have to be the favorites to win the West Division..just need to beat Wisconsin...I think IOWA..when fully loaded..will actually make a tough opponent in the Big 10 Championship game..they will lose..but will make it a a game...

Perhaps Minnesota is worse than we thought. Or, maybe, NW is just improving.

I don't expect a close game whatsoever. If they can pass decent, they may put some points on the board late. But we do have to show up.
good points. Lets see. Minny beat Nebraska, Syracuse and lost to North Carolina and NW. NW lost to Rutgers (who looks fundamentally solid under Schiano), and Duke while beating UTEP. My bet is that Minny lost focus. They gave up almost 400 yards passing to NW QB Ben Bryant. 215 yards to one WR, Bryce Kirtz. Looks like Bryce only had 60 yards receiving going into the game.

The NW QB is a sixth year senior who started for Cincy last year but got hurt in game 11. Cincy went 9-2 in those games so he's certainly competent. He xfered to Cincy from E. Michigan where he threw for 3,121 yards in 2021.

Looks like the pass defense will have to play strong.

Reactions: lazydave841
I was very surprised when they beat Minny. Minny was an 11 point favorite. NW, obviously, has a ton of mess but it looks like the staff has successfully instilled the "us against the world" mentality.

I can't imagine NW can hang with our athletes, to be honest. And I don't care about numbers, I care about letters. Meaning, I don't care how much score or give up scoring as long as we get a W and not an L. You have to assume we are going to see more of the same: physical game in the first half but we pull away in the 3rd for a comfortable win in the end.

But it is college ball and who knows? These are the games where team leadership has to step up and make sure that the kids are prepared mentally and physically.

I don't understand this rationale. It's one hour difference. If you're PSU traveling in, you stay on east cost time - lights out, wake up call are all on EST and kickoff is still at Noon EST.

I don't understand this rationale. It's one hour difference. If you're PSU traveling in, you stay on east cost time - lights out, wake up call are all on EST and kickoff is still at Noon EST.
Agreed. When I go to the west coast, I stay on EST. So I am up at 4:30 and in bed by 8pm unless I have a business dinner. But, honestly, it isn't the same. I don't think we play our best games at 12 EST either though. I've never really tracked it so it may just be urban legend.

Reactions: heckmans

The fact that our offense is playing a conservative style with a dynamic group makes me worry less about this game than I would have last year. NW is probably the weakest opponent to date, not counting FCS Delaware. Last year, they benefit from 3" of rain and freshman RBs. This year, our QB isn't Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. This year, our defense is locked in and loaded for bear compared to last year (and last year was pretty good).

I think we could name our score, but I don't know that we try to go for more than 45.

Reactions: Fac
The fact that our offense is playing a conservative style with a dynamic group makes me worry less about this game than I would have last year. NW is probably the weakest opponent to date, not counting FCS Delaware. Last year, they benefit from 3" of rain and freshman RBs. This year, our QB isn't Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. This year, our defense is locked in and loaded for bear compared to last year (and last year was pretty good).

I think we could name our score, but I don't know that we try to go for more than 45.
I agree I just don't want to say it out loud. <highlight this<

I don't think it's so much the time change. It's just road games + noon kickoff leads to sleepy starts. It's probably just an excuse we all use for starting a game out poorly. It just has been reoccurring.

OIP.acGJUTx4IG13e89kWcoP6AHaEK

Reactions: Obliviax
Last site I checked the spread is 25 and a 1/2 with an O/U of 46. This looks like easy money (God how many times has that thought bitten me in the ass) on the over.

Does anyone for a minute think that Michigan and/or OSU fans would expressed fear and apprehension type posts prior to this game?
Side note: did I blinked and missed final statements on NW’s situation with their allegations?

good points. Lets see. Minny beat Nebraska, Syracuse and lost to North Carolina and NW. NW lost to Rutgers (who looks fundamentally solid under Schiano), and Duke while beating UTEP. My bet is that Minny lost focus. They gave up almost 400 yards passing to NW QB Ben Bryant. 215 yards to one WR, Bryce Kirtz. Looks like Bryce only had 60 yards receiving going into the game.

The NW QB is a sixth year senior who started for Cincy last year but got hurt in game 11. Cincy went 9-2 in those games so he's certainly competent. He xfered to Cincy from E. Michigan where he threw for 3,121 yards in 2021.

Minny was winning that game at one point 31-10, so I believe that it's safe to say that they stopped playing and it burned them. Also, at best, Minny just is a mediocre team this season, but yet they were beating NU at one point on the road by 19 points.

They Beat UTEP 38-7
They lost to Duke 38-14

PSU 38
NW 10

Best games this weekend:
We will be winning by 14-21 before halftime and win by 28+.

And I have a feeling that we will win by more like 42-10, barring any goofy weather crap.

Maybe stopping the sexual hazing thing and getting rid of Fitz has been good for morale in the NW locker room.

If NW has a good passer and good receivers, that will at least test the secondary in a way that they haven't been tested this year. Maryland has a good QB and receivers also. But I'd be surprised if NW presents much of a challenge at the line of scrimmage.

Reactions: bdgan and Obliviax
If NW has a good passer and good receivers, that will at least test the secondary in a way that they haven't been tested this year. Maryland has a good QB and receivers also. But this defense is so solid I don't see a lot of threat. Plus if the offense can play physically like they have against Ill and Iowa they are going to keep flashy offenses off the field.

They don't. At least, they didn't vs anybody not named Minnesota. Sub 200 passing yards in their other games with no run game to offset.

Minnesota got eat up by Drake Maye as well, but that's understandable. It looks like perhaps a 3way race for the West at the bottom.

Of course they will put up a fight, but the fight is more like my foot and a small ant.

Penn State 54
NW- 3

Last site I checked the spread is 25 and a 1/2 with an O/U of 46. This looks like easy money (God how many times has that thought bitten me in the ass) on the over.
Iowa O/U was 38.5
46 for NW seems like a layup if NW is able to put a couple TDs on the board.

Reactions: Thomas1945
They don't. At least, they didn't vs anybody not named Minnesota. Sub 200 passing yards in their other games with no run game to offset.

Minnesota got eat up by Drake Maye as well, but that's understandable. It looks like perhaps a 3way race for the West at the bottom.
Wow, Minnesota looks bad and they don't have an easy schedule ahead. Might not win another B1G game.

Wow, Minnesota looks bad and they don't have an easy schedule ahead. Might not win another B1G game.
IDK, I’d probably disagree not that it matters. But when the whole BIG West is as usual filled with really bad teams anything can happen. They may end up winning the division and serve as the sacrificial lamb in the Championship Game.

• Haha

This board, we tend to think of all opponents from a time frame they beat us. Many here hear "Minnesota" and think "2019".

They just aren't.

Not so sure passing teams match up well against PSU’s defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT