ADVERTISEMENT

Will Howard, QB portal entrant from Kansas State committed to...

It really didn't. Just delayed Olave getting to his second contract. It's a second contact league. Returning and moving up (especially for someone who was likely already in the first) is still a mistake.

He was projected near the bottom of the 2021 1st round. Odafe Oweh's rookie contract (bottom of the 1st round) was $12 million for 4 years.

By coming back, Olave elevated his stock and went #11 in the 2022 NFL draft. His rookie contract was $19 million for 4 years.

He made an additional $7 million by coming back a year.

Reactions: knickslions
He was projected near the bottom of the 2021 1st round. Odafe Oweh's rookie contract (bottom of the 1st round) was $12 million for 4 years.

By coming back, Olave elevated his stock and went #11 in the 2022 NFL draft. His rookie contract was $19 million for 4 years.

He made an additional $7 million by coming back a year.
And he lost more than that because the second contract is delayed a year which should be around 20M for his. So he's down 13M

It really didn't. Just delayed Olave getting to his second contract. It's a second contact league. Returning and moving up (especially for someone who was likely already in the first) is still a mistake.
Get the money while it's there and don't worry about future contracts. He still had to prove himself in the NFL and then there's always injuries. Olave made the right decision

Reactions: dailybuck777
If OSU returns the bulk of Egbuka, Henderson, Jordan Hancock, Denzel Burke, Donovan Jackson, and JTT, then this could be our best team since 2019.

Maybe defensively. Any of the offenses projected better. Fields and Stroud plus better, known quantities at WR. No debate about that unless you are wearing blinders.

Get the money while it's there and don't worry about future contracts. He still had to prove himself in the NFL and then there's always injuries. Olave made the right decision
It's a second contract league. He didn't
And if you get the money when you can, as you said, then he definitely shouldn't have returned. Just like there's injuries in college. You're making my argument for me.

Dillon Gabriel was the portal QB that I wanted, but Howard was #2 on my personal wish list. Cam Ward was very intriguing, but LOTS of talk about locker room issues with him.

Howard's stats at K-State mean far less to me than his mobility, his physical tools, and his attitude. The dude is a flat out winner, and the kind of guy that will win the huddle. That was missing for us last year.

Give him Egbuka (maybe), Tate, and Jeremiah Smith to throw to, and I suspect his numbers will look very different than his numbers at K-State. Will Howard would have beat Michigan for us back in November. McCord's zero presence in the pocket was an absolute killer.
You said earlier that the OL was an issue and now you say if Howard was the QB you win at Michigan? You and daikybuck seem to be blaming McCord for the loss. It was more than just him don’t you think?

Reactions: lazydave841
You said earlier that the OL was an issue and now you say if Howard was the QB you win at Michigan? You and daikybuck seem to be blaming McCord for the loss. It was more than just him don’t you think?
They're blaming McCord for the same reason people here blame Allar.

Reactions: Westcoast24

The OL was actually pretty decent against Michigan. It actually improved over the course of the season until the Cotton Bowl debacle (triggered by a lineup change), but either way, the OL was substandard for a championship caliber team and needs to get better if we're to win the title next year.

The OL was good enough against Michigan. That first INT that McCord threw against Michigan basically spotted them 7 points. And he has absolutely no ability to extend plays with his legs. Zero.

Howard is hardly Justin Fields, but he has tremendous pocket awareness.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Maybe defensively. Any of the offenses projected better. Fields and Stroud plus better, known quantities at WR. No debate about that unless you are wearing blinders.

Nobody has ever argued that next year's offense will be as good as 2021 or 2022.

But those defenses were really mediocre (and at times bad). If our 2024 defense is on par or better than 2023 and our offense is back to scoring about 38-40 a game (not 45+ a game that we saw with Fields and Stroud), then that would give us the most complete team since 2019.

The OL was actually pretty decent against Michigan. It actually improved over the course of the season until the Cotton Bowl debacle (triggered by a lineup change), but either way, the OL was substandard for a championship caliber team and needs to get better if we're to win the title next year.

The OL was good enough against Michigan. That first INT that McCord threw against Michigan basically spotted them 7 points. And he has absolutely no ability to extend plays with his legs. Zero.

Howard is hardly Justin Fields, but he has tremendous pocket awareness.
Sometimes those type of int are caused by how the defense is playing. It happens in football games.

Oregon and Michigan are losing a TON, but Oregon is very active in the portal and they're bringing in an elite recruiting class. Michigan is a huge question mark -- we'll see if Harbaugh returns and/or they get sanctioned.

If OSU returns the bulk of Egbuka, Henderson, Jordan Hancock, Denzel Burke, Donovan Jackson, and JTT, then this could be our best team since 2019. Preseason top-3. I think PSU is preseason top 5 or 6. Oregon in the same boat. Michigan probably back a few spots. Washington probably preseason #10 or so depending on who returns.

Big Ten will be a monster next year.
PSU top 5 or 6 based on what? On offense, QB and WR positions are questionable; OL starters not solidified. I like the hire of Coach K but we have to see what changes he can install to make this offense productive in big games. Defensively, notvreally familiar with Coach Allen's scheme and I think DE position needs a portal player that can give meaningful minutes. Does Mayer (sp?), walk-on from Wisconsin fill that need - don't know? If A.J Harris (GA portal entry) commits th I feel better about the DB position.

PSU top 5 or 6 based on what? On offense, QB and WR positions are questionable; OL starters not solidified. I like the hire of Coach K but we have to see what changes he can install to make this offense productive in big games. Defensively, notvreally familiar with Coach Allen's scheme and I think DE position needs a portal player that can give meaningful minutes. Does Mayer (sp?), walk-on from Wisconsin fill that need - don't know? If A.J Harris (GA portal entry) commits th I feel better about the DB position.
I've seen 2 or 3 early predictions and PSU has been in every top 10 including the one I posted earlier in this thread. I believe many are expecting Allar to be a lot better in his 2nd go around. The majority of the early polls have OSU and Oregon at the top with Michigan and PSU right there also. Not so sure about Michigan with all of the 4th and 5th year players they're losing.

It's going to be a crazy B1G season in 2024. I'm not even going to attempt picking a winner

I've seen 2 or 3 early predictions and PSU has been in every top 10 including the one I posted earlier in this thread. I believe many are expecting Allar to be a lot better in his 2nd go around. The majority of the early polls have OSU and Oregon at the top with Michigan and PSU right there also. Not so sure about Michigan with all of the 4th and 5th year players they're losing.

It's going to be a crazy B1G season in 2024. I'm not even going to attempt picking a winner
The Big Ten and SEC will have a total of 9 playoff teams. Just depends on which one gets 5. It's a two conference league.

The Big Ten and SEC will have a total of 9 playoff teams. Just depends on which one gets 5. It's a two conference league.
I think Washington will be decent-OK again but USC is the big head scratcher. They're an offensive powerhouse but are clueless on defense. Lincoln Riley needs to hire someone on the defensive side that has a clue

Reactions: LandoComando
I think Washington will be decent-OK again but USC is the big head scratcher. They're an offensive powerhouse but are clueless on defense. Lincoln Riley needs to hire someone on the defensive side that has a clue
He did, D'Anton Lynn DC away from UCLA. Lynn played his college football @ PSU.

Reactions: LandoComando
That is how I see it but next year will not be great for them at QB. McCord 2.0 (slightly better/slightly worse) but minus MHJr. They are absolutely beatable in Happy Valley but that assumes we get our act together. This means a solid offense not the dumpster fire passing game this year, Trautwein can fill in the losses at O-Line well and we don't see a huge drop off on D (do I hear a couple good CB portals?)
Um... they may be beatable in Happy Valley, but not by Penn State. Don't kid yourself.

I would have to agree.

Any Buckeyes got any info?

Henderson apparently noted that he's open to playing with Judkins in 2024. It's not entirely clear to me if Judkins feels the same way.

Henderson was long thought to be leaning toward returning. But this -- coupled with rumors that RB coach Tony Alford may be moving on -- could swing it.

Having both Henderson and Judkins would be amazing. But even if we only keep one, Judkins is an incredible get for this staff.

Ryan Day is coaching for his job next year, and so far this offseason he's putting all his chips into the 2024 pile.

Henderson apparently noted that he's open to playing with Judkins in 2024. It's not entirely clear to me if Judkins feels the same way.

Henderson was long thought to be leaning toward returning. But this -- coupled with rumors that RB coach Tony Alford may be moving on -- could swing it.

Having both Henderson and Judkins would be amazing. But even if we only keep one, Judkins is an incredible get for this staff.

Ryan Day is coaching for his job next year, and so far this offseason he's putting all his chips into the 2024 pile.
IMO, I would take Dallan Hayden next year over Henderson ----- and I'm not saying Hayden is more talented just that Henderson spends an awful amount of time on the injured list. Didn't he miss 3 or 4 more games again in 2023? Henderson is just not very dependable

I would have to agree.

Any Buckeyes got any info?
Henderson is returning. Word out of Columbus is that anyone who hasn't already declared for NFL is staying except for the possibility of Tuimoloau. He asked for an absurd NIL number, which is still being negotiated. I heard that Henderson met with and encouraged running back Quinshon Judkins on his official visit to transfer to Ohio State. They discussed playing together in 2024. A lot of change is still coming to Ohio State in the coaching staff. Day wants to get a new OC and turn over those duties much like he gave the keys to the defense to DC Jim Knowles a couple years ago. Dan Mullen's name is being thrown around but who the new OC will be is still not clear. There's also a lot of noise coming out the Woody Hayes concerning Miami DE coach Jason Taylor, a very strong recruiter with Ohio ties back in the day. A Pittsburgh native, he played at Akron. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Henderson is returning. Word out of Columbus is that anyone who hasn't already declared for NFL is staying except for the possibility of Tuimoloau. He asked for an absurd NIL number, which is still being negotiated. I heard that Henderson met with and encouraged running back Quinshon Judkins on his official visit to transfer to Ohio State. They discussed playing together in 2024. A lot of change is still coming to Ohio State in the coaching staff. Day wants to get a new OC and turn over those duties much like he gave the keys to the defense to DC Jim Knowles a couple years ago. Dan Mullen's name is being thrown around but who the new OC will be is still not clear. There's also a lot of noise coming out the Woody Hayes concerning Miami DE coach Jason Taylor, a very strong recruiter with Ohio ties back in the day. A Pittsburgh native, he played at Akron. Stay tuned.

The OSU guys have staggered their announcements. Today, Marv declared for the NFL but Egbuka announced he's coming back. It's widely believed Henderson will announce tomorrow.......and the vibe is he's returning.

JT is leaning toward NFL.......or at least wants more money, so that opens up the possibility of a spring transfer to a USC who has apparently offered him a ton.

But OSU is returning almost everybody who was on the fence.

The OSU guys have staggered their announcements. Today, Marv declared for the NFL but Egbuka announced he's coming back. It's widely believed Henderson will announce tomorrow.......and the vibe is he's returning.

JT is leaning toward NFL.......or at least wants more money, so that opens up the possibility of a spring transfer to a USC who has apparently offered him a ton.

Huge mistake by Egbuka but good news for the Buckeyes

I think the Michigan NC really kicked the OSU-NIL into full go. I thought most of the guys returning were sure fire bets to enter the NFL

I think the Michigan NC really kicked the OSU-NIL into full go. I thought most of the guys returning were sure fire bets to enter the NFL
Tuimoloau just announced he's returning.....OSU worked out a strong NIL package for him. This one was unexpected for OSU fans.

The losses to Michigan and Michigan winning the title were apparently the shock the system needed. We'll see if it pays off.

Tuimoloau just announced he's returning.....OSU worked out a strong NIL package for him. This one was unexpected for OSU fans.

The losses to Michigan and Michigan winning the title were apparently the shock the system needed. We'll see if it pays off.
Holy crap. Didn't most think he was leaving? I believe all of the players that were ranked in the top 1 to 4 rounds are returning. The OSU NIL is really going full blast. How about RB Henderson - is he returning?

Yeah, OSU is setting things up for a loaded roster next year. I don't even know at this point if it matters that much if Henderson comes back or not. Now that you have the Ole Miss guy Judkins and have Hayden in house.

Now it hinges on how much of an upgrade Will Howard is over McCord and if Egbuka can be a dominant #1 close to Harrison production. If Howard can be a legitimate running threat, be accurate and have the moxie of a winner then you all are looking good.

Yeah, OSU is setting things up for a loaded roster next year. I don't even know at this point if it matters that much if Henderson comes back or not. Now that you have the Ole Miss guy Judkins and have Hayden in house.

Now it hinges on how much of an upgrade Will Howard is over McCord and if Egbuka can be a dominant #1 close to Harrison production. If Howard can be a legitimate running threat, be accurate and have the moxie of a winner then you all are looking good.

They still have to add at least 1 more OL, preferably an OT. That will give some depth and hopefully an upgrade. I expect Henderson will be back. On defense they will have only lost 1 DL, 1.5 LBs and 1 DB. On Offense they obviously have taken the biggest hit at WR/TE, so they will be young but very talented there. Improved OLine play with about equal and hopefully better QB play will be needed. Even if Howard doesn't put up huge numbers, he just has to be more consistent than what McCord was.

Holy crap. Didn't most think he was leaving? I believe all of the players that were ranked in the top 1 to 4 rounds are returning. The OSU NIL is really going full blast. How about RB Henderson - is he returning?

Most expect Henderson to return. The idea of splitting carries with Judkins -- who has gotten 500 carries at Ole Miss already -- is apparently attractive.

Day knows there's no 2025 season if he doesn't hit a home run in 2024. Definitely the most loaded roster going into a season since 2019 if not 2015. We'll pay for that in 2025, but oh well.......we're going all in now.

It all comes to nothing if Will Howard and the OL don't outshine the 2023 product, though. If we go 11-1 beating Michigan but losing in Happy Valley -- with a rematch in the Big Ten title game -- I'll take it. Oregon is going to be a problem, though.

At worst he would have been a second round pick. Probably not a good decision for him unless the nil was really good

Most expect Henderson to return. The idea of splitting carries with Judkins -- who has gotten 500 carries at Ole Miss already -- is apparently attractive.
If Henderson returns along with adding Mississippi RB Judkins, does Hayden leave? I've been impressed with Hayden in just the few OSU games he's played in.

Day knows there's no 2025 season if he doesn't hit a home run in 2024.
All of this stuff about Ryan day being on a hot seat is ridiculous to me. His record has been extremely good even though he's lost to Michigan the last several years. Unlike Urban meyer, his teams have never lost to clearly inferior teams. His recruiting is absolutely top rate. The players love to play for him. I saw an interview with CJ Stroud where he said he loved every minute in columbus. Emeka Ebuka stated that he considered his experience in Columbus as being amazing. Various coaches have had problems winning a title or the last game. Tom Osborne comes to mind. Harbaugh did much worse than Ryan day did during the course of Harbaugh's first 5 years. If they are smart like Ryan Day obviously is they eventually adjust and win. The defense has been improving tremendously and we all know that with Ryan Day the offense will be good. The state of Ohio Ohio doesn't have the players that it used to and you need the ability to recruit nationally which Ryan Day can do. Nebraska thought that 10 and 3 Seasons were not good enough and eventually got much worse. Hard to imagine the Ohio State could ever get a coach better than Ryan day. If he loses three or four more games in a row to Michigan I would rethink it but he is an amazingly good coach.

If Henderson returns along with adding Mississippi RB Judkins, does Hayden leave? I've been impressed with Hayden in just the few OSU games he's played in.
I would worry about Hayden leaving also. On the other hand, one can imagine that a discussion was had with him about this and maybe everything is okay. They redshirted him the last year so they obviously plan to have him for a couple of years. Will be interesting to see how that works out

All of this stuff about Ryan day being on a hot seat is ridiculous to me. His record has been extremely good even though he's lost to Michigan the last several years. Unlike Urban meyer, his teams have never lost to clearly inferior teams.
But unlike Urban, if we're being open and fair, Day never wins the big games

Don't agree with that at all. He beat Michigan the first year and would have beat Michigan the second year if Michigan hadn't chickened out and decided not to play. He beat a good Clemson team in the playoffs and came very close to beating in a really good team in Georgia last year.

His problem is that he picked a horrible defensive coordinator who was an ohio State Legend as a defensive back coach and that cost Ohio state two years. Gave Michigan a chance to regroup. In 2019 under Jeff halfley, the Ohio State Defense was very good and unfortunately he left for the head coaching job at Boston college.

He has no issues winning games against top-10 teams. Notre Dame (twice), Penn State, Wisconsin (twice in 2019), Utah, Michigan State in 2021, etc.

The issue is beating the top-3 teams. And in that sense, you're not wrong. I wouldn't say "never" -- he trucked a loaded Clemson team and they damn near beat Georgia. But it's clearly an area for improvement.

In fairness to him in the Day vs. Meyer debate, the past few Michigan teams were far better than any Michigan team Urban faced.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT