ADVERTISEMENT

Will Howard, QB portal entrant from Kansas State committed to...

Interesting because Day said he wasn't taking a QB out of the portal. Howard's not much of an upgrade over McCord.
I'm really surprised that OSU won out in this one as a few schools were going after him hard including Lincoln Riley-USC and I believe maybe Oregon - could be wrong with that one.

I agree that maybe a little bit better than McCord - who (IMO) was decent-good last year - but I read an article on OSU's Eleven Warriors that McCord said it was a "business decision." I've attached the article. WOW people. Just wonder how much some of these "amateur" kids are making now. Some probably more than a few players in the NFL. CF is spiraling out of control.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Interesting because Day said he wasn't taking a QB out of the portal. Howard's not much of an upgrade over McCord.

His stats are worse. He got beat out because the backup had more mobility from what I’ve heard. he might not be any upgrade at all honestly.

His stats are worse. He got beat out because the backup had more mobility from what I’ve heard. he might not be any upgrade at all honestly.
Yeah but he's not throwing to the OSU wide receiver corp either. No matter what, he's not a slam dunk.

Ohio State. He is from Dowingtown, PA (Philly burb).
A guy in my office is a rabid Ohio State alumnus and fan. He tells me that OSU has a super 5* QB coming in this year. Howard will be a 1-year bridge QB until the new guy is ready to play.

A guy in my office is a rabid Ohio State alumnus and fan. He tells me that OSU has a super 5* QB coming in this year. Howard will be a 1-year bridge QB until the new guy is ready to play.
That is how I see it but next year will not be great for them at QB. McCord 2.0 (slightly better/slightly worse) but minus MHJr. They are absolutely beatable in Happy Valley but that assumes we get our act together. This means a solid offense not the dumpster fire passing game this year, Trautwein can fill in the losses at O-Line well and we don't see a huge drop off on D (do I hear a couple good CB portals?)

McCord is gone. Howard is a better runner which has been missing from OSU's offense the last few years.

They do and another following Noland (named St Clair). I don't think McCord was the issue this last year. If you read their sites, their OL was putrid and maybe their worst in decades. You can have the most talented QB out there but if the OL sucks, well............

They do and another following Noland (named St Clair). I don't think McCord was the issue this last year. If you read their sites, their OL was putrid and maybe their worst in decades. You can have the most talented QB out there but if the OL sucks, well............
McCord was part of the issue on offense, but the OL was the bigger issue. I have watched/followed OSU football for over 50 years. This year's Cotton Bowl was the worst OL performance I have ever seen in an OSU game.

Of course we didn't take advantage of this. Oh yeah the scoop and score called back because Kaken King the supposed all world CB was holding.

"Downingtown" - one of the most misspelled words on college football rosters across the USA.
"Downingtown", a place I've never been to, but a place one of my best friends was GM at a large car dealer and a place somone lived that drove all the way to Pittsburgh to buy a 2002 RSX I had for sale. But yes it seems that the town produces some talented football players!!

Reactions: Fletchster1
McCord was part of the issue on offense, but the OL was the bigger issue. I have watched/followed OSU football for over 50 years. This year's Cotton Bowl was the worst OL performance I have ever seen in an OSU game.
Basically, every OSU fan that I've talked to says the same about the OL - worst in decades. OSU better be looking at upgrading their OL - that new QB won't look like a solid QB if they can't protect him

"Downingtown", a place I've never been to, but a place one of my best friends was GM at a large car dealer and a place somone lived that drove all the way to Pittsburgh to buy a 2002 RSX I had for sale. But yes it seems that the town produces some talented football players!!

I miss my rsx. Prices on clean Type-S’ have gone up.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
I think Day is a tremendous offensive football coach, but a shaky head coach/leader of a program. Honestly, I thought they would’ve fallen off prior. You look at his record and think OSU fans are crazy, but I’m coming around to their side.

He also comes up short too often in the game or two each season where OSU faces a team with similar talent.

Outside of Saban, you have described every coach in cfb since 2009 other than Meyer briefly, Smart currently, and Dabo for a similar period.

They can do worse, but Day isn’t paid to beat Illinois and Sparty. Urban dominated the Big 10 if you weren’t paying attention.

"Downington", "Dowingtown", "Dowington", "Downintown" are favorite spellings for college rosters. Is it that difficult to spell?

USC
URI
FU
WVU
WC

• Wow
Reactions: GregInPitt
They can do worse, but Day isn’t paid to beat Illinois and Sparty. Urban dominated the Big 10 if you weren’t paying attention.

Urban dropped some Big 10 games to lesser opponents that Day hasn't. The key is, Meyer always beat Michigan.

Meyer superior to Day, without a doubt. It just seems, to me at least, that trying to win at the same level Saban has has been detrimental for expectations.

Urban dropped some Big 10 games to lesser opponents that Day hasn't. The key is, Meyer always beat Michigan.

Meyer superior to Day, without a doubt. It just seems, to me at least, that trying to win at the same level Saban has has been detrimental for expectations.
Meyer - for the most part - was a killer in big games although he would lose a stinker once in a while but he was 7-0 against Michigan

I believe I read that Day is 1-3 against Michigan, 1-6 against top 5 teams and 0-3 against the SEC. That will eventually get you fired in Columbus. Day and John Cooper are the only OSU coaches since the mid 1940s with a losing record against Michigan. he better beat them in Columbus next year or he could be out the door kicking cans

Reactions: lazydave841
Meyer - for the most part - was a killer in big games although he would lose a stinker once in a while but he was 7-0 against Michigan

I believe I read that Day is 1-3 against Michigan, 1-6 against top 5 teams and 0-3 against the SEC. That will eventually get you fired in Columbus. Day and John Cooper are the only OSU coaches since the mid 1940s with a losing record against Michigan. he better beat them in Columbus next year or he could be out the door kicking cans
I agree there. Urbs was not perfect, but his OSU teams seemed to rise to the occasion in big spots. I think the narrative the OSU lacks “toughness” is partially true, and is a reflection of Day vs. Urban’s personality and how they run things. They are of course very likely to slip back another step without day. I can’t name an obvious replacement for Day that will be a slam dunk.

I agree there. Urbs was not perfect, but his OSU teams seemed to rise to the occasion in big spots. I think the narrative the OSU lacks “toughness” is partially true, and is a reflection of Day vs. Urban’s personality and how they run things. They are of course very likely to slip back another step without day. I can’t name an obvious replacement for Day that will be a slam dunk.
This 100%

Reactions: diontechristmas
Yeah interesting that Urban referred to Howard as a winner despite his win/loss record. His completion percentage as a senior was very similar to Allar as a sophomore and he threw for 24 TDs with 10 picks whereas Allar was 25/2. So Howard is OSU’s savior but many feel Allar is the problem at Penn State.

I live next to D-Town and this area has produced a lot of QB’s - Matt Schaub went to my kids High School nextdoor - West Chester East and Matt Ryan is from Exton - same area. Oh and Top Gun Miles Teller is from Downingtown.

Yeah interesting that Urban referred to Howard as a winner despite his win/loss record. His completion percentage as a senior was very similar to Allar as a sophomore and he threw for 24 TDs with 10 picks whereas Allar was 25/2. So Howard is OSU’s savior but many feel Allar is the problem at Penn State.
Keep in mind when comparing Howard to Allar - or even McCord - that Howard played at Kansas State who had nowhere near the supporting cast that was PSU and OSU put around their QBs. He was the main reason for KSU's success last year and why so many top schools like OSU and USC were hard after him as a Portal QB. He was 2nd team all-Big 8 (or whatever it is now)

I have no idea how Will Howard will turn out at OSU but - let's be honest - Allar was a big disappointment last year especially in big games that counted.

Keep in mind when comparing Howard to Allar - or even McCord - that Howard played at Kansas State who had nowhere near the supporting cast that was PSU and OSU put around their QBs. He was the main reason for KSU's success last year and why so many top schools like OSU and USC were hard after him as a Portal QB. He was 2nd team all-Big 8 (or whatever it is now)

I have no idea how Will Howard will turn out at OSU but - let's be honest - Allar was a big disappointment last year especially in big games that counted.
Howard has better receivers than Drew

OSU offensive line played reasonably well against Michigan and in fact ran it eight times straight and scored a touchdown. It improved greatly during the year. Had no depth which showed when the starting center didn't play.

Outside of Saban, you have described every coach in cfb since 2009 other than Meyer briefly, Smart currently, and Dabo for a similar period.
Day has only lost about seven games in 5 years. He made a huge mistake in hiring Kerry Combs in 2020. Defense was horrendous. Made game against Michigan that year essentially a gimme game. Defense improved tremendously this year and with Day as head coach the offense will always be good.

Absolutely crazy to think that Ohio State can get someone better than Day. Andy Reid was let go by Philadelphia even though he was a really good coach and of course he has turned things around at Kansas City

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841
Underwhelming for them, no?

Dillon Gabriel was the portal QB that I wanted, but Howard was #2 on my personal wish list. Cam Ward was very intriguing, but LOTS of talk about locker room issues with him.

Howard's stats at K-State mean far less to me than his mobility, his physical tools, and his attitude. The dude is a flat out winner, and the kind of guy that will win the huddle. That was missing for us last year.

Give him Egbuka (maybe), Tate, and Jeremiah Smith to throw to, and I suspect his numbers will look very different than his numbers at K-State. Will Howard would have beat Michigan for us back in November. McCord's zero presence in the pocket was an absolute killer.

Dillon Gabriel was the portal QB that I wanted, but Howard was #2 on my personal wish list. Cam Ward was very intriguing, but LOTS of talk about locker room issues with him.

Howard's stats at K-State mean far less to me than his mobility, his physical tools, and his attitude. The dude is a flat out winner, and the kind of guy that will win the huddle. That was missing for us last year.

Give him Egbuka (maybe), Tate, and Jeremiah Smith to throw to, and I suspect his numbers will look very different than his numbers at K-State. Will Howard would have beat Michigan for us back in November. McCord's zero presence in the pocket was an absolute killer.
Egbuka shouldn't go back--that would be beyond stupid.

Didn't realize Gabriel transferred to Oregon. Man, they be loaded and Ive seen them on several "way too early" 2024 - top 10 - national predictions including the one below. I think PSU is rated too low (maybe 6th or 7th) and I just don't see Michigan that high in the rankings with everybody they're losing and even some of their fans and boards are saying the same. OSU? It depends on whether their OL returns to being a strength.

It should be a wild and crazy B1G season is 2024.

D
Not Beyond stupid but probably not the best decision. Chris olave returning for an extra year did benefit him.
Wasn't Egbuka injured quite a bit last year? Maybe that could play into his decision although if I was him, I'd be gone and on my way to the NFL.

Didn't realize Gabriel transferred to Oregon. Man, they be loaded and Ive seen them on several "way too early" 2024 - top 10 - national predictions including the one below. I think PSU is rated too low (maybe 6th or 7th) and I just don't see Michigan that high in the rankings with everybody they're losing and even some of their fans and boards are saying the same. OSU? It depends on whether their OL returns to being a strength.

It should be a wild and crazy B1G season is 2024.

Oregon and Michigan are losing a TON, but Oregon is very active in the portal and they're bringing in an elite recruiting class. Michigan is a huge question mark -- we'll see if Harbaugh returns and/or they get sanctioned.

If OSU returns the bulk of Egbuka, Henderson, Jordan Hancock, Denzel Burke, Donovan Jackson, and JTT, then this could be our best team since 2019. Preseason top-3. I think PSU is preseason top 5 or 6. Oregon in the same boat. Michigan probably back a few spots. Washington probably preseason #10 or so depending on who returns.

Big Ten will be a monster next year.

Wasn't Egbuka injured quite a bit last year? Maybe that could play into his decision although if I was him, I'd be gone and on my way to the NFL.

Yes. Currently projected in some 1st rounds but by no means all of them. Olave was a fringe 1st round projection and his return greatly benefited him. Very possible Egbuka does the same.

Egbuka, Carnell Tate, and Jeremiah Smith with Tre Henderson at RB would set up Will Howard quite well. If we can get our OL into gear, that is.

Yes. Currently projected in some 1st rounds but by no means all of them. Olave was a fringe 1st round projection and his return greatly benefited him. Very possible Egbuka does the same.

Egbuka, Carnell Tate, and Jeremiah Smith with Tre Henderson at RB would set up Will Howard quite well. If we can get our OL into gear, that is.

It really didn't. Just delayed Olave getting to his second contract. It's a second contact league. Returning and moving up (especially for someone who was likely already in the first) is still a mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT