ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

Appears he's watching a match, no? Our coaching staff is collectively the calmest I've ever been around.

Nice!

Shute-Vision-Quest.jpg

Ben put the guy on his butt. Head should have been on the inside, but it worked.

thats freaking cool for the teams. hopefully flo will broadcast it.

these guys really are branching out with ideas....RU at yankee stadium, this event, grapple at the garden, at the gridiron, practices in the quads.....all very cool and its great that the ADs are supporting this stuff.

back to this event....this doesnt surprise me with the teams involved.....cowboys and smith speak for themselves......but I met the NC State AD and she was very cool and came across as genuinely loving wrestling and wanted to see NC State be a major player in the sport.

Oklahoma State has released their schedule, and will be competing at the Scuffle.

Southern Scuffle Hurting?

The announcement that Oklahoma State would be competing in Italy on January 5th called into question their attendance at the Southern Scuffle. The Cowboys had been a mainstay at the event in recent years, but the school confirmed that, while the tournament remains on their schedule, it is unlikely that any of the starters will attend. This comes on the back of Missouri, Minnesota, and Cornell deciding to travel to the South Beach Duals in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on December 29th and 30th, calling into question their participation as well. Missouri and Minnesota have since released their 2017-18 schedules with the Scuffle, unsurprisingly, absent. If nothing changes, that would mean the starters from three of the four top finishing teams from the 2017 Southern Scuffle will be absent for the 2018 edition. Cornell finished eighth. Barring the return of Penn State or a couple of top teams defecting from the Midlands, this could be the weakest Scuffle in years.

While this won’t make the folks in Chattanooga happy, I expect we’ll see more of this shift away from the grind of a tough, two-day tournament mid-season going forward. Cornell’s Rob Koll has spoken openly of his desire for a more enjoyable event for athletes and coaches, citing the weather in addition to a more relaxed format at the South Beach Duals. We’re seeing more coaches willing to wrestle their athletes less during the regular season if it means strong performances in March. We have more college stars competing for international spots than we have for some time which means there really is no off-season. The test run of weighing in two days in a row and getting strong competition still holds some draw, but it must be balanced with the drawbacks of wrestlers getting worn down or injured. For an NCAA regular season already struggling to find meaning, at times, this is bad news, but coaches know a strong performance at the Scuffle or Midlands doesn’t mean much if they can’t do the same when it matters most.

http://news.theopenmat.com/college-...cuffle-problems-rutgers-stays-headlines/64259

Southern Scuffle Hurting?

The announcement that Oklahoma State would be competing in Italy on January 5th called into question their attendance at the Southern Scuffle. The Cowboys had been a mainstay at the event in recent years, but the school confirmed that, while the tournament remains on their schedule, it is unlikely that any of the starters will attend. This comes on the back of Missouri, Minnesota, and Cornell deciding to travel to the South Beach Duals in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on December 29th and 30th, calling into question their participation as well. Missouri and Minnesota have since released their 2017-18 schedules with the Scuffle, unsurprisingly, absent. If nothing changes, that would mean the starters from three of the four top finishing teams from the 2017 Southern Scuffle will be absent for the 2018 edition. Cornell finished eighth. Barring the return of Penn State or a couple of top teams defecting from the Midlands, this could be the weakest Scuffle in years.

While this won’t make the folks in Chattanooga happy, I expect we’ll see more of this shift away from the grind of a tough, two-day tournament mid-season going forward. Cornell’s Rob Koll has spoken openly of his desire for a more enjoyable event for athletes and coaches, citing the weather in addition to a more relaxed format at the South Beach Duals. We’re seeing more coaches willing to wrestle their athletes less during the regular season if it means strong performances in March. We have more college stars competing for international spots than we have for some time which means there really is no off-season. The test run of weighing in two days in a row and getting strong competition still holds some draw, but it must be balanced with the drawbacks of wrestlers getting worn down or injured. For an NCAA regular season already struggling to find meaning, at times, this is bad news, but coaches know a strong performance at the Scuffle or Midlands doesn’t mean much if they can’t do the same when it matters most.

http://news.theopenmat.com/college-...cuffle-problems-rutgers-stays-headlines/64259

some part of me wonders if Koll and others in his camp will in time make an attempt at the South Beach duals growing into the unofficial/official dual championships. not the worst idea with the timing of it and location to draw fans.

#goforwrestlingstayforbowlgame
#conspiracytheorist
#hopandskipFTLauderdaltoAruba
#renokilledchattanooga

some part of me wonders if Koll and others in his camp will in time make an attempt at the South Beach duals growing into the unofficial/official dual championships. not the worst idea with the timing of it and location to draw fans.

#goforwrestlingstayforbowlgame
#conspiracytheorist
#hopandskipFTLauderdaltoAruba
#renokilledchattanooga

#greathashtags

boise st not a friend to wrestling but I do like this. still hate the blue field

this could be people at the sPitt football game or those PSU wrestling fans STILL waiting on the schedule to come out....

Reactions: diggerpup
Was at a wedding so didn't see yesterday's game but was unable to find, just now, any shots of Zain being honored for his Hodge win during a break in the game. Did find this though.

Reactions: diggerpup
they were performing a service for the team. A good one.
Ooh, boy, nothing like a perfect straight line...

Rant on...

For the last three years, my son, a member of Penn State's Naval ROTC battalion, has volunteered to take part in the color guard presenting the U.S. flag before a game, as well as for the military appreciation wrestling match last year. For the football games, the thanks they got was being pushed off the field as soon as they marched off the field. At least the response he got from the fans around us was better, when he came to sit with us.

The good news is he doesn't see it the way I do, is happy to serve and shuns recognition, despite the snub. I see an awful lot of people around those sidelines that have done far less. Oh, and I think the recruits should be there, too, but what's four more military personnel?

Rant off.

Ooh, boy, nothing like a perfect straight line...

Rant on...

For the last three years, my son, a member of Penn State's Naval ROTC battalion, has volunteered to take part in the color guard presenting the U.S. flag before a game, as well as for the military appreciation wrestling match last year. For the football games, the thanks they got was being pushed off the field as soon as they marched off the field. At least the response he got from the fans around us was better, when he came to sit with us.

The good news is he doesn't see it the way I do, is happy to serve and shuns recognition, despite the snub. I see an awful lot of people around those sidelines that have done far less. Oh, and I think the recruits should be there, too, but what's four more military personnel?

Rant off.
One thing to keep in mind, the PSU pregame and half-time is very carefully orchestrated to ensure it flows, stays on schedule and does not delay the TV broadcast. No disrespect is intended for your son.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT