ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

I have family that recently escaped from Hong Kong, and given what they've been telling me about the conditions there (both in HKG and in other parts of that country), I will not watch the 2022 Olympics.

To each their own, but I will not participate in it.
Me either. Serious question, they had to escape? Was it different before China took them over? Could you easily leave then and now with China in charge you can’t anymore? Just wondering.

Reactions: hlstone
I have family that recently escaped from Hong Kong, and given what they've been telling me about the conditions there (both in HKG and in other parts of that country), I will not watch the 2022 Olympics.

Being totally honest, I had no idea the Olympics even started till this morning when I was flipping through the channels. The only thing I’m interested in when it comes to the games is Wrestling. Other than that, Id rather read a book or something.

Reactions: Nitt Fan
Me either. Serious question, they had to escape? Was it different before China took them over? Could you easily leave then and now with China in charge you can’t anymore? Just wondering.
Escape was a little figurative -- they didn't flee as refugees, at least not yet. My brother found a job elsewhere in Asia -- but that took a year after he applied and was tenuous until Thanksgiving. Had that fallen thru, they were planning to leave everything behind for a one-way flight to the US by Memorial Day, unemployed and at a steep financial penalty.

Their circumstances meant very limited opportunity to leave, including timing their exit. This was somewhat unrelated to the takeover, but the draconian and arbitrary virus quarantine rules (imposed by Beijing or ordered to curry favor with the Party) made finding jobs elsewhere extremely difficult, and made hiring replacements near impossible (thus companies are reluctant to grant releases).

OTOH my SIL is a journalist. This doesn't make leaving harder, except for the constant risk of arrest and kangaroo court prosecution. Absolutely everything is monitored and digitally AI searched at all times, and bad translations or misunderstandings put you at the mercy of someone looking to impress their new Party masters. That's true of everyone, especially journalists, and did not exist pre-takeover.

It helps that they're not Chinese citizens or have family who are -- then they'd be subject to the social credits scheme and potentially be unofficial hostages.

One change that makes leaving harder is that China is the anal-retentive Germany of Asia. HKG was more like Britain -- by the book but polite and not anal. My brother and SIL were temporarily detained at the airport on their departure flight over one minor error in the 30+ pages of forms required to go thru security. Agent had to find a supervisor who had to find their supervisor, etc., until they found someone authorized and willing to let them go thru security. Not to enter, but to leave. Again, it helps that they're not Chinese.

I'm omitting a lot of details. We're sad that they had to leave with urgency. But they're out, and that's what counts.

Escape was a little figurative -- they didn't flee as refugees, at least not yet. My brother found a job elsewhere in Asia -- but that took a year after he applied and was tenuous until Thanksgiving. Had that fallen thru, they were planning to leave everything behind for a one-way flight to the US by Memorial Day, unemployed and at a steep financial penalty.

Their circumstances meant very limited opportunity to leave, including timing their exit. This was somewhat unrelated to the takeover, but the draconian and arbitrary virus quarantine rules (imposed by Beijing or ordered to curry favor with the Party) made finding jobs elsewhere extremely difficult, and made hiring replacements near impossible (thus companies are reluctant to grant releases).

OTOH my SIL is a journalist. This doesn't make leaving harder, except for the constant risk of arrest and kangaroo court prosecution. Absolutely everything is monitored and digitally AI searched at all times, and bad translations or misunderstandings put you at the mercy of someone looking to impress their new Party masters. That's true of everyone, especially journalists, and did not exist pre-takeover.

It helps that they're not Chinese citizens or have family who are -- then they'd be subject to the social credits scheme and potentially be unofficial hostages.

One change that makes leaving harder is that China is the anal-retentive Germany of Asia. HKG was more like Britain -- by the book but polite and not anal. My brother and SIL were temporarily detained at the airport on their departure flight over one minor error in the 30+ pages of forms required to go thru security. Agent had to find a supervisor who had to find their supervisor, etc., until they found someone authorized and willing to let them go thru security. Not to enter, but to leave. Again, it helps that they're not Chinese.

I'm omitting a lot of details. We're sad that they had to leave with urgency. But they're out, and that's what counts.
Wow, thanks for the info.

Reactions: hlstone

Exactly....

I have also chosen not to watch the Games. I cannot in good conscience support China, more specifically the CCP, nor the sponsors who are turning a blind eye for money to all the atrocities China continues to commit. I read on an almost daily basis about the atrocities (false arrests and imprisonments, forced abortions, torture, murder, etc.) committed by the CCP against their perceived enemies. And as a Christian, I feel I must do what I can to support my brothers and sisters in Christ who are frequently victims of these atrocities. And I stand with the Uyghurs as the CCP continues their genocidal policies. The CCP is evil and they and the Olympic sponsors won't be getting my Olympic viewership.

Glad they got out. Penn St. is a Nike school, worn by the wrestling team, are you also boycotting Nike and Penn St. You can support Team USA athletes and not support the government of the host nation.

Glad they got out. Penn St. is a Nike school, worn by the wrestling team, are you also boycotting Nike and Penn St. You can support Team USA athletes and not support the government of the host nation.
Our athletes should not be puppets in a propaganda show. Since they're there, I hope they win.

That doesn't mean I have to support NBC. If they told the IOC to move the Games, it would've happened. The acute issues with that country are not 2 or 4 years old, but apparently that's insufficient time to grow a spine.

And yes, Nike can pound sand. They're far from alone. US companies who utilize Foxconn should have their executives forced to hold up the suicide nets. For example.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT