ADVERTISEMENT

Why "Social Media" is great....

Hey, what's up, Mike! And @diggerpup and @Petch!

I've never met the author, Zach Allen, whose bio indicates he's 'a Sophomore majoring in journalism,' but I'm wondering if any of you would be up for a thought exercise? Pretend that dude is my son and I came on here and asked you all, as a favor to me: 'could you please offer some constructive criticism on that article of his?'

What would you all share?
I would recommend offering maybe a starting discussion of David Taylor going to Iowa State instead of PSU (which would have happened if Cael didn't come). How many of those early championships would we have lost. Are there any guys that came to PSU because of Taylor's success? Maybe a Young Guns Nolf goes to Iowa if PSU doesn't win those early NC's. Something along those lines.

It was an opinion piece...maybe offer some opinion other than Cael was really good, but Koll has been pretty good too.

I'm probably being too hard on a young sophomore (sorry...2nd yr) journalism major. If I recall, I think it was fairly well written...just needed some meat. As I previously said, I'm appreciative that wrestling got some coverage in the Collegian.

kg21x5ixk0x21.gif
Seriously LMAO

… I'm wondering if any of you would be up for a thought exercise? …

In giving a talk, the audience is asking at every moment:

What’s he saying?
What’s he going to say?
Do I care?

You have to answer those questions quickly and comprehensibly or the audience will leave.

You have to promise something worthwhile or the audience will not care and will leave.

You have to deliver on your promise (also quickly and comprehensibly) or the audience will think you are dishonest or incompetent or uninteresting or the like.

The above is arguably the entire top-level technical requirement for the “how to say it” part of good nonfiction communication. Tikk and Mike have said similar advice, but I’m putting the advice into a terminology and a complete framework.

Here, the writer promised an answer to the question of “what if Koll was hired, and Sanderson stayed at Iowa State? Would Penn State still be chasing a national title?” Even though writers don’t always write their own headlines, here the headline did ~match the article’s own literally stated question and ~answer.

The writer did not deliver on his promise. Tikk and Mike have discussed this failure. Below, I examine the failure in literal and logical detail.

1) The author’s ~answer was not even an answer. The writer never even said Koll would not have made PSU as good as Cael has made PSU. The writer merely said “Sanderson’s dynasty has trumped that of Koll’s resume”. That is not even opinion nor analysis. That is mere objective non-answer fact, given that Koll has not won 8 national titles.

(And when the author said “It’s impossible to know exactly what events would have followed if the opposite of reality happened”, he also was not giving an answer because it was already always trivially and actually true that we cannot know an alternative reality.)

2) The author’s ~answer, even if we were to infer its intended meaning, would merely be a naked opinion with defective non-sequitur reasoning to support it. Let’s help the author and interpret him as saying that [we should believe Koll would not have made PSU as good as Cael has made PSU because] “Sanderson’s dynasty has trumped that of Koll’s resume.” That reasoning is a non sequitur because the same reasoning can be used to prove that Cael would not have made PSU as good as Cael has made PSU. (You know, because “Sanderson’s dynasty has trumped that of Cael’s Pre-PSU resume” :rolleyes:. #reductioadabsurdum)

To summarize, the author invited us to a meal and served us a nothing sandwich.

Last edited:

I've never met the author, Zach Allen, whose bio indicates he's 'a Sophomore majoring in journalism,' but I'm wondering if any of you would be up for a thought exercise? Pretend that dude is my son and I came on here and asked you all, as a favor to me: 'could you please offer some constructive criticism on that article of his?'

Take the piece to his journalism professors. They’re the experts, not me. Not my field.

As for the Daily Collegian itself, if I had $1 for each subpar article I’ve read since my ungrad days, I could retire now.

But that’s the purpose of the Collegian - it’s a student paper written by students. They’ll improve. It’s why they’re in college.

Reactions: Ski and 7brwnpsu
It would have been a boy had he stayed in Iowa City :p.

Alas, congrats to Gilman and his better half. Dad life is the best life

So David Taylor had a daughter when I had my first son and Gilman will be having a daughter around the time I have my second son.....hmmmm
You had suspected, and now you’re sure, that you’re not David Taylor and not Thomas Gilman. Is that what you’re thinking? :)

• Haha
Reactions: PSUbluTX
Tweet deleted. What’s the deal?
RBY tweeted "Please send prayers this way" It's something tough going on in his life obviously so naturally a wrestling message board will want to assume injury. It can literally be anything though and there's no point in speculating something like that, especially when a kid is clearly going through something.

EDIT: Fretwell did tweet this.

Last edited:
RBY tweeted "Please send prayers this way" It's something tough going on in his life obviously so naturally a wrestling message board will want to assume injury. It can literally be anything though and there's no point in speculating something like that, especially when a kid is clearly going through something.

EDIT: Fretwell did tweet this.

if you go on his IG page and hit the story. He has what looks to be about a 1” hole in his leg. Doesn’t say anything more than that.

im technically challenged or i would link it

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT