ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Hack have trouble with the pass out of the backfield?

Wesauking Lion

Aug 14, 2006
I just don't understand why he throws at the receiver or running back's feet on these 5 yard passes. Even a little swing pass of the same distance is awful. It somewhat reminds me of Chuck Knaubloc (sp) second baseman for the Yankees who had trouble with throws to first base.

It seems to me Hack, who is not under pressure at the time, would hit this basic pass all the time. It is frustrating to watch for sure.

JMO..... Hack looked better this week....had some drops by receivers because of the rain...but looked better.

I just don't understand why he throws at the receiver or running back's feet on these 5 yard passes. Even a little swing pass of the same distance is awful. It somewhat reminds me of Chuck Knaubloc (sp) second baseman for the Yankees who had trouble with throws to first base.

It seems to me Hack, who is not under pressure at the time, would hit this basic pass all the time. It is frustrating to watch for sure.

JMO..... Hack looked better this week....had some drops by receivers because of the rain...but looked better.

I'm not a coach but if you watch Hack throw those short passes, his feet "never move" toward the direction he is throwing, never. He looks directly at the receiver and lets it fly w/o stepping into the throw. That could be his biggest problem with all those short throws, but something that simple, you would think the coaches would pick up on that.

I don't know for sure but he just looks awkward when throwing short routes.

Because hit footwork and mechanics are poor
It's true in the game situation. I'd bet he throws a great ball in practice. He just doesn't set up well to throw in the game action. Seems harried and in a hurry. Partially shell shocked?

First, QBs are taught that short passes should be thrown low to reduce the chances of an interception. (Long passes should be high) Should be thrown thigh high. That reduces the margin for error. And a short pass is hard for a tall strong QB as he must throw it down hill and softly. Stepping into it increases the chance of throwing it too hard.
Not saying he shouldn't step into it, he should. But it makes the mechanics harder to step into the pass but throw it soft. For a lot of QBs the short pass is the toughest to learn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT