ADVERTISEMENT

Why are fans complaiing

We are going to end up in the top ten. We are going to a New years bowl game. Hopefully we end up 10-2. True , we did not beat Michigan , or Ohio State. But Hail To The Lions.
1. A lot of people don't care about a NY6 bowl game--it's playoff or bust. Next year, I hope no one is excited about a bowl game.
2. The goal is to be elite. While I think (or hope) most of us are happy that we're consistently beating the teams we should (kudos to Franklin) how long before we accept maybe he's not the guy to get us to the next level? I don't want to be Georgia under Richt. Why does anyone?
3. We might be 10-2 but that doesn't mean we're in the top 10--and the goal was top 4. Next year, people keep pretending that it's just top 12 but the 4 conference winners get in with a bye and a G5 gets a bid as well. you have to be top 7 to be safe.
4. Also, it's not "that we lost" to Ohio State and Penn State. It's how incompetent the offense was in those games

You can be happy at 10-2 but you shouldn't expect everyone to agree.
As a Steelers fan, should I be happy if they make the playoffs this year knowing they're not contenders? Or should I deal with the reality that we're still mediocre?

Why are you even a Penn State fan? God you must have been miserable during the Paterno era. He had 35 seasons where his teams lost 2 or more games. I mean look at the losers who kept him through 35 loser seasons. His winning percentage was 74.6% which works out to 8.9-3.1. Man what a loser and bum of a coach he was right?
He has never given any indication that he is a Penn State fan.

Reactions: mcpat
You do realize even in the decade of the 80s Penn State lost 2 or more games 7 of the 10 seasons. If the 80s Paterno never would have lost to Michigan and Ohio State how did he lose 4 or more games 4 years? He even lost to Rutgers back in the 80s

1980 10-2
1981 10-2
1982 11-1
1983 8-4-1
1984 6-5
1985 11-1
1986 12-0
1987 8-4
1988 5-6
1989 8-3-1
When you have 3 seasons with less than 2 losses and win 2 titles you tolerate down years.
Now that wouldn't be accepted but the landscape was different then. Alabama and Georgia have changed the definition of elite.

Your list carries some health risks, as some of my contemporaries that were around then have weak hearts ❤️ today. Posting stuff like this can give them a stroke. I remember the late 60’s the 70’s the 80’s up until and including the 90’s. I remember scores of victories, but I also recall that we were on the short end of a few pretty brutal ass kickings. Unfortunately for some, those losses disappear with age.
I think most Penn State fans are delusional to be honest. You would think Penn State was a national title contender every year under Paterno. In fact Penn State would have only made the playoffs 1 time 19 years prior to Franklin being here and only twice in the previous 25 years.

I think most Penn State fans are delusional to be honest. You would think Penn State was a national title contender every year under Paterno. In fact Penn State would have only made the playoffs 1 time 19 years prior to Franklin being here and only twice in the previous 25 years.
And many here believe Paterno stayed too long which contributes to that.
Penn State is, what, 7th or 8th all-time in wins. It's not unrealistic for people to want us to be elite. Franklin even referenced it.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
1. A lot of people don't care about a NY6 bowl game--it's playoff or bust. Next year, I hope no one is excited about a bowl game.
2. The goal is to be elite. While I think (or hope) most of us are happy that we're consistently beating the teams we should (kudos to Franklin) how long before we accept maybe he's not the guy to get us to the next level? I don't want to be Georgia under Richt. Why does anyone?
3. We might be 10-2 but that doesn't mean we're in the top 10--and the goal was top 4. Next year, people keep pretending that it's just top 12 but the 4 conference winners get in with a bye and a G5 gets a bid as well. you have to be top 7 to be safe.
4. Also, it's not "that we lost" to Ohio State and Penn State. It's how incompetent the offense was in those games

As a Steelers fan, should I be happy if they make the playoffs this year knowing they're not contenders? Or should I deal with the reality that we're still mediocre?
Well if the only way to be elite is to make the top 4 for the play, guess what Penn State been elite twice in the last 36 years so fans need to tamper their expectations if they expect it all the time.

Well if the only way to be elite is to make the top 4 for the play, guess what Penn State been elite twice in the last 36 years so fans need to tamper their expectations if they expect it all the time.
It isn't the expectation to be there yearly. But we aren't close. We aren't. We saw that against Ohio State and Michigan. This is 10 for Franklin. Moving forward, making the playoff less than 3 out of 5 years shouldn't be tolerated by anyone in the fan base. The Big Ten and SEC will dominate the playoff bids--and we have to consistently be in.
Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State are the goal...for all programs. At least all programs where it's possible--which includes us.

And many here believe Paterno stayed too long which contributes to that.
Penn State is, what, 7th or 8th all-time in wins. It's not unrealistic for people to want us to be elite. Franklin even referenced it.
Well under his entire career he would have made 8 times in 46 years. To put that in perspective in the 9 years of the 4 team format Alabama has 7 appearances. Yet Penn State fans feel like they should be making it every years and anything but is a failure. We under Paterno Penn State had 38 failures seasons.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
Well under his entire career he would have made 8 times in 46 years. To put that in perspective in the 9 years of the 4 team format Alabama has 7 appearances. Yet Penn State fans feel like they should be making it every years and anything but is a failure. We under Paterno Penn State had 38 failures seasons.
And the "definition" of elite is different now than it was then. And Paterno shouldn't have been here for the last decade plus of that time.

Paterno wasn't Saban. Saban and Smart have reset what the goal is.

And the "definition" of elite is different now than it was then. And Paterno shouldn't have been here for the last decade plus of that time.

Paterno wasn't Saban. Saban and Smart have reset what the goal is.

Penn State wasn’t elite most the time then either. So what is elite? There re only 3 programs who made the CFP more than 50% of the time.

Penn State wasn’t elite most the time then either. So what is elite? There re only 3 programs who made the CFP more than 50% of the time.
That's what is elite. Consistently making the playoff.
Nothing else matters.

That's what is elite. Consistently making the playoff.
Nothing else matters.
Might as well not watch college football cause it very likely Penn State will ever be elite and you will always be disappointed.you can fire coaches every 4 years but with the resources and talent in our natural recruiting area Penn State is likely never going to match that.

Might as well not watch college football cause it very likely Penn State will ever be elite and you will always be disappointed.
Why wouldn't I watch college football? I watch more than just Penn State
I want us to be better but, if we aren't, I'll enjoy watching Georgia while I hope Penn State does what they did to improve when Richt couldn't get the job done.
Again, 3 out of 5 years is the goal for Penn State. For Georgia, Bama and Ohio State it's 5 out of 5 years.

Some of us would just like once for JF. Can we start with one?

Reactions: WaylonJ
Honestly, for those that believe this was an amazing season (or that no one can complain) when the playoff expands what's the frequency you all believe we need to make the playoff or we consider a coaching change? Is 9-3 (6-3) every year without a playoff birth acceptable?

From the admin's standpoint I guarantee you it's all about the experience. It is a cool experience. As long as the fresh alumni are willing to pony up...we'll always have a sellout or near-sellout except thanksgiving weekend. PSU games are for SURE an absolute party atmosphere. Doesn't really matter the opponent although good foes are great for the cause.

I'm not trying to be cynical but as long as PSU games are a party destination the fans will come. Even at $60 or what they charge for parking. The young kids don't care if the team is bad.

Reactions: 81b&w
Perhaps we would prefer to be USC, Auburn, Florida, Nebraska, TX AM, Miami, etc. when you use perspective, you may escape depression. The program is in a very good spot. The d will be fine next time year with next man up like Rojas etc. The o will get better.
Losing a lot on defense.

Offense in free fall.

Allar looking like he may wash out.

Expect team to be worse next year.

From the admin's standpoint I guarantee you it's all about the experience. It is a cool experience. As long as the fresh alumni are willing to pony up...we'll always have a sellout or near-sellout except thanksgiving weekend. PSU games are for SURE an absolute party atmosphere. Doesn't really matter the opponent although good foes are great for the cause.

I'm not trying to be cynical but as long as PSU games are a party destination the fans will come. Even at $60 or what they charge for parking. The young kids don't care if the team is bad.
They proved that by yesterday’s attendance - embarrassing for PSU

They’re (and I’m including me) not delusional, just normal people and fans who generally want to remember the good times and down play the bad. That’s human nature, unless you’re a miserable unhappy person.
Joe was a great coach , and an even better human being. And in the grand scheme of life there were values more important to him than a win at any cost mentally that annually could produce National Championships. It doesn’t really matter, as this point will continue to be argued as long as there is PSU football and people who remember him according to their perception, either accurate or not.

Reactions: 81b&w and mcpat
They proved that by yesterday’s attendance - embarrassing for PSU
The other games make up the slack. If we had 1 or 0 losses coming in the place would have been packed to the gills and would not be a nooner.

The potential is there if coaching is better. PSU’s record from 1950-2000 proves it…0.5 century- no fluke!

Reactions: WaylonJ
The potential is there if coaching is better. PSU’s record from 1950-2000 proves it…0.5 century- no fluke!
I agree, it's not that I think the team or the coaching is great, it's that there's no doubt the draw is the atmosphere and the giant 400 acre tailgate party or however big it is. That's the #1 thing PS has going for it.

As an RU alum, having witnessed way too many ass whippings by the likes of UM, OSU and you guys, I only hope to one day get to the point when I am disappointed with a 10-2 record in the B1G. 🤣
Watch out for what you wish Antnee. You’ll probably end up hating your coaches, players and other fans more than you do now. What outsiders view as more success is a terminal disease to the viewed.

As an RU alum, having witnessed way too many ass whippings by the likes of UM, OSU and you guys, I only hope to one day get to the point when I am disappointed with a 10-2 record in the B1G. 🤣
1/4 to perhaps 1/2 of the posters here would gladly take Schiano off your hands. And not because of his results but because if his ties to JoePa. Each board has its “passionate” (some certifiably insane) fans. I browsed your own free board after our game and you certainly have your own as well! I think realistically in the division-less 18 team conference you can build an Iowa type of program over there.

Watch out for what you wish Antnee. You’ll probably end up hating your coaches, players and other fans more than you do now. What outsiders view as more success is a terminal disease to the viewed.
Haha. Sounds like a Faustian deal. Given how few winning seasons I have enjoyed in my 48 years as a season ticket holder, I will risk it!

1/4 to perhaps 1/2 of the posters here would gladly take Schiano off your hands. And not because of his results but because if his ties to JoePa. Each board has its “passionate” (some certifiably insane) fans. I browsed your own free board after our game and you certainly have your own as well! I think realistically in the division-less 18 team conference you can build an Iowa type of program over there.
Not looking to jettison Schiano just yet. He had a Herculean task of resurrecting a totally decimated program after Ash and was the right guy at that time. He has built a top 20 defense and now needs to get a real QB and build depth on the OL. Not having to play the big three next year will certainly help.

Reactions: 81b&w and mcpat
If you accept this season as a success, than you haven't been around long enough to know what PSU Football used to be...the pre-eminent program of college football in the 80s.

If you're young, then 10-2 is great. If you're old enough to have witnessed the glory years, this year sucks. Pattern in the 80s never would have lost both games to these pricks perennially...

It really gets old.
So you have cried every year since 1994?

Why are you even a Penn State fan? God you must have been miserable during the Paterno era. He had 35 seasons where his teams lost 2 or more games. I mean look at the losers who kept him through 35 loser seasons. His winning percentage was 74.6% which works out to 8.9-3.1. Man what a loser and bum of a coach he was right?
Pretty much exactly where Franklin is at.

Because the team has a once in 25 years defense this season that will be decimated by the top players moving on to the NFL and due to Franklin's meddling with the play calling, stupid calls such as going for it in his own territory, going for 2 in the first half, and failure to either recruit (or develop) WR's and QB's that can make plays against top teams, this team just peaked at 10-2 (if they can beat MSU) with not much hope of bettering the 10-2 or maybe even repeating it. Especially if Diaz leaves.... And next season the excuse for the offense will be the players learning a new offense. Then going forward it seems to point to rinse and repeat, without Chop Robinson and Isaac at DE, King at CB, Jacobs at LB, and Olu as the lone bright spot on the OL.

If you like being the 3rd team in the 2023 B10 East, and likely moving down further in the BIG10 overall once the 4 PAC teams are added in 2024, yes it's time to celebrate!!
Crybaby!

You do realize even in the decade of the 80s Penn State lost 2 or more games 7 of the 10 seasons. If the 80s Paterno never would have lost to Michigan and Ohio State how did he lose 4 or more games 4 years? He even lost to Rutgers back in the 80s

1980 10-2
1981 10-2
1982 11-1
1983 8-4-1
1984 6-5
1985 11-1
1986 12-0
1987 8-4
1988 5-6
1989 8-3-1
But that decade they had 5, 10-12 win seasons, won two national championships and played for one in 1985. Two NCs and playing for another one make some loses and upsets a little more palatable. There's not been a sniff of a NC since 94 and they weren't even awarded it when they deserved it that year.

But that decade they had 5, 10-12 win seasons, won two national championships and played for one in 1985. Two NCs and playing for another one make some loses and upsets a little more palatable. There's not been a sniff of a NC since 94 and they weren't even awarded it when they deserved it that year.

The pity NC went to Osbourne that year. Along with another opportunity to screw over Paterno and Penn State.

I'd rather consistently be 10-2 with a sprinkle of 11-1 or 12-0 than risk losing Franklin and have a 50% chance of being even worse off. The phrase don't cut off your nose to spite your face is very appropriate when I see many of you call for Franklin to be gone. It's narrow minded and shows a serious lack of perspective and judgement.

You Franklin haters think there is are many guys out there that "will consistently get us the difference of 10-12 points" we seem to lose by to OSU/MICH, showcase how great our program is, protect the ethics of his team, bring in as talented assistants, AND recruit as well? That person doesn't exist because if he DID....I would be wanting him to be our coach too. The growth of the Big 10 and expansion of the Playoff will do us well as it will expose us to less parody and should help make us look better overall.

For you who call for Franklin's head, bite your tongue-the odds of the next coach going 8-4 are much higher than 11-1. Chew on that.

I'd rather consistently be 10-2 with a sprinkle of 11-1 or 12-0 than risk losing Franklin and have a 50% chance of being even worse off. The phrase don't cut off your nose to spite your face is very appropriate when I see many of you call for Franklin to be gone. It's narrow minded and shows a serious lack of perspective and judgement.

You Franklin haters think there is are many guys out there that "will consistently get us the difference of 10-12 points" we seem to lose by to OSU/MICH, showcase how great our program is, protect the ethics of his team, bring in as talented assistants, AND recruit as well? That person doesn't exist because if he DID....I would be wanting him to be our coach too. The growth of the Big 10 and expansion of the Playoff will do us well as it will expose us to less parody and should help make us look better overall.

For you who call for Franklin's head, bite your tongue-the odds of the next coach going 8-4 are much higher than 11-1. Chew on that.

So...this started fine. I understand you prefer that approach. Safe vs High risk. There's no right or wrong. But then you went off the rails a bit. I don't hate Franklin. Just like I really liked Richt when he was at Georgia. Great guys and successful coaches but at some point Franklin has to start winning consistently against top tier teams. 35-40% would be good. I'm not asking for all the time or even half but more than now. I'm also not saying fine him now. He 100% should get 2024 and probably 2025 if we don't take a step backwards next year. If the next coach doesn't improve he'll be gone too. Coaches aren't always supposed to be lifers. They're not all Paterno.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT