ADVERTISEMENT

Why all of the name calling on this board?

RTRMR

Oct 14, 2018
Reading some of these threads....Can’t we just respect one another’s opinions, without going down the road of name calling?
It’s not the name calling that bothers me, it’s the lack of respect for one’s point of view that does!
Let’s all be civil! We’re all here for the same reason: We’re passionate about our beloved Nittany Lions football team!

Reading some of these threads....Can’t we just respect one another’s opinions, without going down the road of name calling?
It’s not the name calling that bothers me, it’s the lack of respect for one’s point of view that does!
Let’s all be civil! We’re all here for the same reason: We’re passionate about our beloved Nittany Lions football team!

Stupid idea.

Reactions: bison13 and Bob78
Resorting to name calling is a sure sign of defeat when discussing or debating a topic.
Not necessarily. This isn't a debate. I here that constantly but it's not. Maybe an argument . Maybe a conversation. A discussion, a mish mash of all of them , but it isn't a formal debate.

Can’t we just respect one another’s opinions, without going down the road of name calling?

Uhhh....no. It's an internet message board. It's my god given right, no duty, to denigrate anyone who disagrees with me or my ideals. And if you don't agree with that then you're not a true freedom loving 'Murican patriot and you can get the hell out of my country. /sarcasm

Give it a rest, *******.

:eek:

;)

Reactions: RTRMR
Some people can be passionate without acting foolish though. Others cannot. Like the guys who get so emotional after a loss they want immediate sweeping changes across the board that aren't going to happen and they keep going on and on about it like it will occur. Some fans really think they have the magical answers or they only are vocal after a loss because somehow it is their therapy and we need to listen to them instead of their therapist. There is being critical with valid criticisms and then there are those that have have hormonal issues after any loss and feel the need to unload on everyone.

You'll notice quite a few regular posters stay away following a loss due to the DQ's and their therapy sessions here. Fire the OC....516 yards of offense....brilliant call there. Fire the DC....bad games are not tolerated ever. Losing to an undefeated team on the road late in the year means the coaches are idiots. Believe it or not some people have seen all of this same Sh!t before, but most of us know we're pretty lucky to have this HC currently. We lived through the dark years, then the sanctions....and god forbid we still try and enjoy PSU football. It doesn't mean the losses don't suck, but life is a bit bigger than this....some perspective isn't too much to ask for.

Seriously ? Name calling ? This board has some of the most open-minded and fair fans on the Internet - always open to others' ideas even if it doesn't match up with their own Have NEVER seen name calling on this board

By the way, should I stop referring to myself as "stupid" and "idiot"? Should I stop hating myself? Asking for a friend.

It’s a carry over from every other message board on the internet. There always seems to be one assh*** in the crowd or many of them. Their opinion is the only one that matters ,always...:eek:

By the way, should I stop referring to myself as "stupid" and "idiot"? Should I stop hating myself? Asking for a friend.
My friend I just asked says to just stick to calling yourself moron!
:eek::eek::eek:

Not necessarily. This isn't a debate. I here that constantly but it's not. Maybe an argument . Maybe a conversation. A discussion, a mish mash of all of them , but it isn't a formal debate.

Nope. All the same.
Call it whatever you want - debate/argument/conversation/discussion - but if you and another person have different opinions and you resort to personal attacks on your 'adversary', it's generally because you cannot win on the merits of your position, and simple people lash out and try to tear down the opposing person.*

*unless you're Art. Then you do it because you have some sort of inferiority complex, and you put down posters with every reply as a means to feel better about yourself.

Last edited:
The name calling is just a reflection of our current society. Civility and politeness are nonexistent. Since everyone is anonymous there is no risk to posting smack. Take a look at political discourse. Same thing. Lots of name calling and little respectful discussion. The internet fuels this sort of behavior. I don't think it is good but it is what it is.

Reactions: m48tank
Never! You've worked hard to create this character. Don't abandon it in the interest of PC.

It seems to me that there are a bunch of people here who couldn't coach a peewee team yet seem to think they are much more intelligent than our coaching staff. Some even think it's okay to rip on individual players for, in their opinion, subpar performance. Maybe I'm over the top defending the staff and players sometimes. If so, I apologize. But some of you better be careful what you wish for. If CJF heads elsewhere, who are you going to get that's better? It won't be Nick, Dabo or Urban. And I'll argue all day that CJF is near the top of that next tier of coaches knocking on the door to be the "next" coach on that top list.

giphy.gif

You and a few other come on here after a loss and say some really dumb things that lack context of the college football landscape then want a pity party when you're told how dumb it is. Toughen up Sally.

Seriously ? Name calling ? This board has some of the most open-minded and fair fans on the Internet - always open to others' ideas even if it doesn't match up with their own Have NEVER seen name calling on this board

Fvck you, asshole.:)

Reactions: Woodpecker
Has anyone ever won a message board discussion?
Yes. Delco Lion is correct. When someone resorts to personal attacks, CAPS, or emojis, they have lost. There are a few posters who consistently do this rather than stay on the topic and debate the issue intelligently.

If the name calling doesn't bother you, why did you make it the title of your vanity/virtue thread?

It seems to me that there are a bunch of people here who couldn't coach a peewee team yet seem to think they are much more intelligent than our coaching staff. Some even think it's okay to rip on individual players for, in their opinion, subpar performance. Maybe I'm over the top defending the staff and players sometimes. If so, I apologize. But some of you better be careful what you wish for. If CJF heads elsewhere, who are you going to get that's better? It won't be Nick, Dabo or Urban. And I'll argue all day that CJF is near the top of that next tier of coaches knocking on the door to be the "next" coach on that top list.

Not meant in a derogatory way, but yes you do.
Also, your first sentence is a straw-man argument. I'm not a football coach and I couldn't coach a peewee football team, but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of recognizing poor decisions or a failure to make adjustments.

I don't believe in tearing down kids who are trying their hardest and I don't believe in attacking Franklin or his assistants, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a measured conversation, on a PSU Football message board, about the skills, shortcomings, and performance of the staff and players.
To be perfectly clear, I hope Franklin is the coach here for a long time, but I think he needs to improve his in-game coaching or he will never realize his potential, or the potential of the players he recruits.

I don't believe in tearing down kids who are trying their hardest and I don't believe in attacking Franklin or his assistants, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a measured conversation, on a PSU Football message board, about the skills, shortcomings, and performance of the staff and players.

Discussing a play (4th and 5, 2 pt conversions, etc.) is not what I'm talking about. I think it's natural to discuss this stuff. I was texting a friend as the we went for two - both of us thought it was too early to chase points.

I'm not even talking about questioning some play calling by Rahne or use of timeouts by Franklin (as just two additional examples).

I'm talking about those who feel the need to start threads titled:

"Rahne = Jay multiplied by Butler"

and

"CJF cannot manage a game to save his life" (in which the first sentence inside was "Hopefully USC is serious and still wants him."

These takes are way overboard and hopefully these are just fanboys and not actually alumni of Penn State. And I'm just saying once again "be careful what you wish for".

I have long lamented the lack of civility on this board to no avail. It has driven some good posters away and caused others to limit their time here. Sadly, you are preaching to the choir. The worst offenders don't give a damn. I deal with them by ignoring their sophomoric rants. Others feel the need to call them out, but it seems to me that's exactly the reaction they are looking for. There really is no good solution to the problem. I guess you either accept the babblings of a few buffoons, or you move on.

Reactions: psu00 and RTRMR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT