ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else watch the Lady Lions BB vs Nebraska?

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Or attempting to watch it. This team does not seem to be any more organized or any more athletic than what coach K inherited from Washington. Maybe I'm being a little too harsh, but within the first few possessions of the game the LL's were beat down the court by over the top passes for layups, which were blatant lack of hustle plays by players letting UN players beat them down the court. I would have expected that the player that got beat would have been given a seat on the bench to discuss that lack of hustle, but nope. The player that beat the LL's down the court didn't exactly look like Carl Lewis, which makes those plays all the more concerning.

I've been trying to watch two programs and haven't seen every set, but early in the game the LL's seemed to run a pretty stagnant offense, with not a lot of movement that resulted in going deep into the shot clock without generating many good looks at the basket.

Not much inside game and pretty unathletic lineup which is a bad combo, defense leaves 3 point shooters wide open - not a recipe for success.

Is this Coach K's 3rd year? How long is it going to take for coach K to put a team on the floor that plays end to end basketball, which as I remember was supposed to be the trademark of her teams?

Anyone else have other opinions about the progress that coach K is making with the Lady Lions Basketball program?

<I posted the same thread on the new board, but it's about impossible to get any new discussion going on a subject when the mod's quickly burry your thread on the bottom of some generic women's BB thread. Wouldn't want a PSU sports discussion to break out within all the obituary's, women polls, thread for every player that enters the portal, multiple threads about Auburn coaching rumors, .......>

Last edited:
Or attempting to watch it. This team does not seem to be any more organized or any more athletic than what coach K inherited from Washington. Maybe I'm being a little too harsh, but within the first few possessions of the game the LL's were beat down the court by over the top passes for layups, which were blatant lack of hustle plays by players letting UN players beat them down the court. I would have expected that the player that got beat would have been given a seat on the bench to discuss that lack of hustle, but nope. The player that beat the LL's down the court didn't exactly look like Carl Lewis, which makes those plays all the more concerning.

I've been trying to watch two programs and haven't seen every set, but early in the game the LL's seemed to run a pretty stagnant offense, with not a lot of movement that resulted in going deep into the shot clock without generating many good looks at the basket.

Not much inside game and pretty unathletic lineup which is a bad combo, defense leaves 3 point shooters wide open - not a recipe for success.

Is this Coach K's 3rd year? How long is it going to take for coach K to put a team on the floor that plays end to end basketball, which as I remember was supposed to be the trademark of her teams?

Anyone else have other opinions about the progress that coach K is making with the Lady Lions Basketball program?

<I posted the same thread on the new board, but it's about impossible to get any new discussion going on a subject when the mod's quickly burry your thread on the bottom of some generic women's BB thread. Wouldn't want a PSU sports discussion to break out within all the obituary's, women polls, thread for every player that enters the portal, .......>
Pay little, if any, attention to women's BB. But it does seem the program has lost what little profile it had under Washington. Just don't hear anything about it other than it lost over 1 million in (IIRC) 2019.

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
Pay little, if any, attention to women's BB. But it does seem the program has lost what little profile it had under Washington. Just don't hear anything about it other than it lost over 1 million in (IIRC) 2019.
I don't know the answer but thank God we no longer stop holding of hands and kissing in the locker room or on the busses. Rest in peace coach Portland.

<I posted the same thread on the new board, but it's about impossible to get any new discussion going on a subject when the mod's quickly burry your thread on the bottom of some generic women's BB thread. Wouldn't want a PSU sports discussion to break out within all the obituary's, women polls, thread for every player that enters the portal, .......>
I have watched or tried to watch them. I totally agree with you. Their only offence is giving the ball to Marisa and get out of the way. I would be critical of their defense, but they don't play defense. I was hopeful with a new coach that things would improve by now. I don't blame the players. It's on the coach. BIG disappointment.

I too have been moaning and growning through the lady BB games. Your comments are probably a bit harsh but not by much. After 3 years the improvement in quality of players or play is small. Maybe two or three at BIG level but other wise a problem. And yea, I think they could play better. Frustrating!

Reactions: GregInPitt
I watched the first half last night and must say it was rough. They just looked sloppy with their play. They struggled getting their offense running. I was hoping that coach Caroline would have this team playing much better at this point. At Marquette, she seemed to have a nice looking team. I hope she can get this moving in the right direction.

I tried to watch the 2nd half and made it about 2 minutes. It's just not watchable, and that from someone's daughter plays D3(meaning thats hard to watch to). There was a time when they were must see TV for any PSU fan.

I watched the first half last night and must say it was rough. They just looked sloppy with their play. They struggled getting their offense running. I was hoping that coach Caroline would have this team playing much better at this point. At Marquette, she seemed to have a nice looking team. I hope she can get this moving in the right direction.
Yep, they do look "sloppy". And sometimes a little bewildered as well. The other teams are generally bigger and more physical with Brigham being PSU's only true post player, and although Brigham has some moments she does not seem to get up and down the floor very well. Coach K started 4 guards but really gets about zero advantage from the quickness of her lineup as he guards are not quicker than their opponents forwards. If you are the smaller, less physical team, its not a revelation that PSU must not give up over the top fast break baskets. PSU made a few runs at Nebraska, but the game was pretty much lost in the first 5 minutes when PSU came out like deer in headlights. PSU played zone when I was watching but gives up too many open 3's from it.

I've only seen a few of this year's games and it would have been great if more of the games were televised as I haven't seen enough of the team to determine if coach K has been making any significant changes to personnel or strategy as the team has staggered through this season. Has anyone seen enough of the play this year to comment on strategy and/or personnel changes in an attempt to move the needle??

I was super excited to see Washington finally get canned and coach K arrive, but for good coaches it just does not take 5 years to build a team. I believe coach K brought in a few transfers, but with the current transfer rules it does not take more than a few years for a good coach to turn around a program. If the results are the same to begin 2022-23 it will be time for a reboot with a new coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
I watched some of last night's contest against Nebraska. I watched some of the game against Iowa within the last week.

My opinion is that Coach K doesn't have enough horses to compete with the upper half of the B1G. The horses she has just can't compensate for the other deficiencies.

Unfortunately, BTN won't be showing the ladies playing against the lower half of the conference so getting a true gage of their abilities is impossible for us casual fans.

Marisa is a warrior but she cannot beat anybody without additional help. I think there are some players on the roster but they need time. Remember this is Marisa's 3rd year.

I also think the entire roster seems to be physically outmuscled by their opponents. Until that changes, expect no improvement.

Renee Portland caught in the massive cultural value system in this country. Since then a disaster.

They may only be on TV when they're underdogs...but they went from maybe 12-12 to down 10 or so quickly vs. Nebraska. Just poor execution and D...hard to watch. FWIW it appeared that there were more folks out in Lincoln for that women's game than we had for most men's games....

Renee Portland caught in the massive cultural value system in this country. Since then a disaster.

Renee Portland ran a great program, but had two issues; her teams underperformed in the tournament (kind of the J. Boeheim of women's' basketball), and she rubbed people the wrong way (hence no support when she needed it).

The key hire for the program was the one to replace Portland, when the team still had standing, but the athletic department didn't get that one right, unfortunately, and now are starting from scratch. One thing about PSU athletics, they will be patient with the current coach.

Living in Connecticut for the last 35 years, I have been spoiled by watching the UConn women's basketball team. After 10 minutes of the PSU - Nebraska game, I perfectly understand when people think women's basketball is an inferior product. I would counter that by saying watch UConn, or Stamford or any of the other Top 4 or 6 teams. They are athletic, they pass well, they execute the fast break with precision, they generally put up pretty good shots, and they get back on defense. I witnessed none of these attributes when watching PSU the other night.

Renee Portland ran a great program, but had two issues; her teams underperformed in the tournament (kind of the J. Boeheim of women's' basketball), and she rubbed people the wrong way (hence no support when she needed it).

The key hire for the program was the one to replace Portland, when the team still had standing, but the athletic department didn't get that one right, unfortunately, and now are starting from scratch. One thing about PSU athletics, they will be patient with the current coach.
I've been a lion for 58 years. She was the only coach who sustained a successful team that reached the playoffs more years than not in either men's or women's basketball. She was totally screwed by a worthless, spineless, despicable administration which which double down on stupid the way they handled Joe Paterno's last week as coach.

Thought that I would resurrect this thread after watching the Lady Lions earn a hard fought victory in East Lansing.

Obviously, it was a contest against a middle of the pack opponent. It appeared to me (a casual observer who hasn't seen any of their games since this thread was hatched) that Coach Caroline played a lot of people and these ladies pushed the issue.

Marisa still does too much, but to the teams credit, she had 2 or 3 great passes for assists in the 4th quarter. Players flashed open and she did what a good player does - feeds her teammate.

Thursday they travel to Columbus and face a top level opponent. This will be a better measure of their development.

ADVERTISEMENT