ADVERTISEMENT

who are the highest rated OL on the PSU roster - coming out of HS?

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
i think there are several guys who were 4* out of HS

Jenkins - 4* (wasnt he a top 100 player?) - 3rd year at PSU
Mahon - 4* - 5th year at PSU - 3 year starter/playing experience
Gonzalez - 4* - 3rd year at PSU - 2 year starter/playing experience
Fries - 4* - 2nd year at PSU
McGovern - 4* - 2nd year at PSU and 2 year starter/playing experience
Menet - 4/5* (wasnt he a top 50 player?) - 2nd year at PSU
Thorpe - 4* - 1st year at PSU
Gellerstedt - 4* - 1st year at PSU

Bates may be our best OL, but i think he was a 3*. Miranda and Martin were also 3*. Wright (4th year player with 2 years starting experience) was a 2* and our lowest rated OL player.

unless the recruiting services over rated all these guys, it would seem we have players with enough skill to make an OL.

yes, but your over looking all but one of those guys has more than 1 year of playing experience. they will be better next year and the following up the OL takes time to develop.

If they don't improve next year I think we'll either have to start questioning whether the RPO places them at a disadvantage or whether Limegrover isn't doing his job. At the beginning of this game the announcers talked about the youth of MSU's offensive line and they appear to be giving their QB a lot more protection and time to throw the ball.

i think there are several guys who were 4* out of HS

Jenkins - 4* (wasnt he a top 100 player?) - 3rd year at PSU
Mahon - 4* - 5th year at PSU - 3 year starter/playing experience
Gonzalez - 4* - 3rd year at PSU - 2 year starter/playing experience
Fries - 4* - 2nd year at PSU
McGovern - 4* - 2nd year at PSU and 2 year starter/playing experience
Menet - 4/5* (wasnt he a top 50 player?) - 2nd year at PSU
Thorpe - 4* - 1st year at PSU
Gellerstedt - 4* - 1st year at PSU

Bates may be our best OL, but i think he was a 3*. Miranda and Martin were also 3*. Wright (4th year player with 2 years starting experience) was a 2* and our lowest rated OL player.

unless the recruiting services over rated all these guys, it would seem we have players with enough skill to make an OL.
Neither gellerstedt, Fries, or Gonzalez were 4 stars on the 247 composite. Bates was solidly a 4 star.

Bates is pretty darn good and I think McGovern will be too. It seems like the unit is still a year away although I do think a lot of their troubles stem from the system we run.

If they don't improve next year I think we'll either have to start questioning whether the RPO places them at a disadvantage or whether Limegrover isn't doing his job. At the beginning of this game the announcers talked about the youth of MSU's offensive line and they appear to be giving their QB a lot more protection and time to throw the ball.

Good video of Barkley's FR year (with Hack). Certainly had some issues on offense (mostly talent on the OL and Hack wasn't the right 'fit') but great watching Barkley take the ball on a true handoff, get a running start, and run between the tackles.

Mute if you don't like hip hop....

Reactions: artsandletters
Ya Barkley’s average per carry was higher his freshmen year in that ridiculous stale offense and TERRIBLE OL compared to Moorehead’s offense and a better OL. He will do great in the NFL in a traditional offense running the ball.

Ya Barkley’s average per carry was higher his freshmen year in that ridiculous stale offense and TERRIBLE OL compared Moorehead offense and better OL. He will do great in the NFL in a traditional offense running the ball.

I didn’t run the numbers so not sure if this is true or sarcasm, but his success now relies heavily on him making something from nothing. That’s a tough ask for any RB on every down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t run the numbers so not sure if this is true or sarcasm, but his success now relies heavily on him making sometbing from nothing. That’s a tough ask for any RB on every down.
No it's true. His yards per carry have gone down every year. And the line certainly hasn't gotten worse. Maybe not much better, but that 2015 line was not good. I know some here don't want to question anything the coaches do, but at a certain point I think the complete lack of a running game falls on the scheme we're running

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT