Who’s still at the office

Who still has to go into work?

• I do

• I don’t

Results are only viewable after voting.

Air Force 1

May 29, 2002
Smithsburg, MD
Just curious. If you want to post a note on why you still have to go to the office (besides the obvious to get a paycheck).

I still go to the office, I work in the National defense sector.

I’m asking on Toms board hoping the discussion doesn’t get political and more people visit here.

Last edited:
I am going in sporadically to deal with documents coming in and other stuff that can’t be done at home - we have a tax equity funding to finalize by next week. That said, I run into less people there (0 or 2 at the most) then at home.

It’s not “essential”, but it falls under an exemption under our shelter in place for keeping the business running.

Working from home. Have to go in 1 time a week or so for a few minutes to drop stuff off and pick stuff up. There are a few people in the office out of about 50 who process work completed by those at home.

Working from home, but I have a Get-Out-of-Jail-Free card since my company does work for the VA.

Work in Hospital/Rehab(Lanc.)...both my kids 26,23 son working from home at his apt. Lititz. My daughter works for Pepsi in White Plains and lives in NYC is back home going on12 days now.

Reactions: kevin310
I go in a few times a week to keep my office running - distribute mail, process checks, etc. The rest of my office is working remotely. Our surveyors and environmental staff are still working in the field each day on "essential" projects.

I go in. I am in engineering. Most people have chosen to do office work at home so it makes the office seem empty.

I have been on the road this week and I cannot remember the last time I drive soft the Holland Tunnel exit on NJ Tpk during a workday and there was not a back up.

Just curious. If you want to post a note on why you still have to go to the office (besides the obvious to get a paycheck).

I’m asking on Toms board hoping the discussion doesn’t get political and more people visit here.

Yep I'm still here and we are incredibly busy.
I'm a Graphic Designer and Pre-Press artist for a label company.
We have huge orders for...you guessed it... Hand sanitzer labels, all meat, pork and chicken labels and strangely enough beer labels. LOL.
From what I see, traffic wise, going to and coming home from work its similar to the amount on a Holiday that many don't get to take off. But i95 is much less busy than usual.

Reactions: kevin310
As a lawyer, and pursuant to the order of the Governor of Pennsylvania, I am working from home.

I operate a landscape business. We are considered by the commonwealth to be life sustaining. We are in somewhat of a holding pattern though. I can’t get mulch and other materials from supply yards so our ability to get started early this season and start checking the boxes before we get into grass has become moot. Hope to start mowing grass next week but I’m not sure it’ll be ready. Depends on the turf species and microclimates.

We’re capable of riding in separate vehicles and if we’re working near each other someone isn’t doing their job.

Reactions: hohmadw and cment
i feel you man. My wife is a Lt in a prison and it makes a thankless job even more tough. What facility are you at?

Im a K9 handler for the State so I’m also essential and unable to work from home. We are not working much however, so we are just training all day.

Nice looking dog.
Do you mean training dogs all day? I think I'd be ok with that.:)

Reactions: whart and uscgPSU
My office has been closed the past two weeks and is closed next week (and probably some time beyond that).

Reactions: Sharkies
Benn at home for past 2 weeks and for a while I expect. Our building was closed as there were at least 2 employees who were "possibly" exposed to a person with the virus. Hear they are fine but building is still shut down.

My company makes packaging for both the food and pharma industries, so we are essential. Thankfully, I can work from home, because we are in Central Jersey. Pretty bad out there.

Home. Doing Zoom lectures on Trigonometric functions, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, and Saccheri Quadrilaterals. It’s not the same as having the students in the classroom with you but I don’t whine.
Didn't Saccheri QB the Lions back in the late 80s-early 90s?

Oh, and I'm teaching from home using 3 different online platforms, but desperately trying to narrow that down to one (which I'm afraid ain't never gonna happen).

Home. Doing Zoom lectures on Trigonometric functions, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, and Saccheri Quadrilaterals. It’s not the same as having the students in the classroom with you but I don’t whine.
FTC is right where I left off with my non ap calc class doubt I get to more than area applications this year as class is all seniors

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
I have been at work, I am considered an essential employee for NY State agency. I’d rather be essential than “impotent”!

We live in rural NEPA and our days are disinfect when we get home, eat, sleep, get in cars and drive to work, work, get in car and drive home
and start all over again. My office has been more than cut in half with staff. We are isolated, no outsiders in building and we keep our distance via WebEx meetings when needed. My wife works at a local hospital, so that has been interesting to say the least.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy

Stop making stuff up.

I'm WFH and don't really have to go into the office for anything. Our manufacturing plant about 60 miles away is still running. We "could" all be at the office (about 75 people in the Pittsburgh burbs), but everybody is WFH. We have an exemption in the plastics manufacturing sector....we don't make stuff, but equipment for the industry.

Nice looking dog.
Do you mean training dogs all day? I think I'd be ok with that.:)

Thanks! Yeah, I meet up with a few other guys and we just train our dogs all day unless we are absolutely needed somewhere. But with fewer traffic stops, less arrests, and less searches, our phones aren't ringing right now.

Reactions: BBrown
Still working in the office every day. I'm in Abu Dhabi though. We only have 300 or so cases here and the country is completely locked down - no flights in or out.
Not to hijack, but Abu Dhabi is one of my favorite cities. Been to the UAE many times for business. The contrast between iAbu Dhabi and Dubai is stunning. I always tell people that are heading to Dubai to spend a day and night in Abu Dhabi (if they can afford it.).

Thanks! Yeah, I meet up with a few other guys and we just train our dogs all day unless we are absolutely needed somewhere. But with fewer traffic stops, less arrests, and less searches, our phones aren't ringing right now.

Just curious but what do you do with the dogs that can't pass the tests, like maybe end up being gun shy or just want to chase rabbits instead? I would love to be able to get one.

I work out of an office in my home. As long as I have the net and a phone I am good to go.

Just curious but what do you do with the dogs that can't pass the tests, like maybe end up being gun shy or just want to chase rabbits instead? I would love to be able to get one.

Funny you ask that at this time. That beautiful dog you referenced in your original response is my new dog as of a week ago because my first dog was too interested in seeing people and being loved on. Work was the furthest thing from his mind. He would work and he certified, but it was actual work to him rather than seeing it as play time. This new dog I have is a belgium mali and has crazy high drive!

We try ti recycle the dog through the academy again to see if he can work through whatever the issues is. If that does nor work its up for adoption to the original handler, than anyone he/she can find, then worse case scenario adopted through the states website.

The dog i just gave up is going back through the academy when we start it up again, but I secretly hope he fails out so i can adopt it.

Funny you ask that at this time. That beautiful dog you referenced in your original response is my new dog as of a week ago because my first dog was too interested in seeing people and being loved on. Work was the furthest thing from his mind. He would work and he certified, but it was actual work to him rather than seeing it as play time. This new dog I have is a belgium mali and has crazy high drive!

We try ti recycle the dog through the academy again to see if he can work through whatever the issues is. If that does nor work its up for adoption to the original handler, than anyone he/she can find, then worse case scenario adopted through the states website.

The dog i just gave up is going back through the academy when we start it up again, but I secretly hope he fails out so i can adopt it.

LOL.
I'd be interested in an adoption.
I've been looking around here, bmore area, at the shelters and humane societies but all they seem to have are Pit Bulls or Pit Bull mixes and thats not what I want.
Thanks for the response.

My company supplies equipment for semiconductor manufacturing. After talking with lawyers, we have convinced ourselves that we are an essential business. Next week we are starting a very limited open with nobody working in the same area at the same time. Coming in is strictly on a volunteer basis and it will be very controlled on who can come in and at what times so that there is no direct contact between employees. All working surfaces must be cleaned before and after each shift along with many other precautions.

I work in the Bay Area and we have some "essential" wireless installs going on for Ericsson/AT&T right now. I have been crazy busy since the shelter in place order was issued. Went into the office yesterday for a few hours and had the entire building to myself. I honestly don't like working from home and would go to the office more often if it wasn't frowned upon by upper management. Takes too damn long to get done what I need to get done working on a laptop.

We're actually on an installation currently - a private social club in FTL w/ 4 simulator bays, 2 putting greens, pool table, poker room, bar, etc. I don't like our installers being in that building w/ other contractors, but not much I can do about it. After this, it will be awhile before we do anything I'm afraid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT