ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s still at the office

Who still has to go into work?

• I do

• I don’t

Results are only viewable after voting.
Still working in the office every day. I'm in Abu Dhabi though. We only have 300 or so cases here and the country is completely locked down - no flights in or out.
OK, I remembered there was someone on this board who was in the UAE. I have/had tentative plans to get to UAE in 2021 - i will make note that you are there (at least now) and hit you up for info when things open up for safe travel.

I work in Insurance and haven't been to my "office' in over 2 years. Travel a lot (well used to) and when not on a plane I have a 1 person office that I go to to avoid the at home distraction - wife, kids, dogs. Our whole Company is now working from home - over 2500 people in the US but just about everyone has a laptop and we are using Teams and Skype to stay connected. We have been going more and more virtual for the last few years so the transitional wasn't as painful as it has for most.Tough for others here that have mentioned they are in Law Enforcement, First Responders, Medical and Corrections. Hopefully we are at least getting closer to the end of the beginning but it seems we are far from the beginning of the end.

I am.....but probably 100% by choice:

1.Never learned D2L to teach so I need some of the resources on campus.
2.With everyone sharing the internet at home my work won't get done fast enough.
3.If I know I am straying home I might drink until midnight every night.

I do better on a schedule and right now that schedule is to come to my office.

I am.....but probably 100% by choice:

1.Never learned D2L to teach so I need some of the resources on campus.
2.With everyone sharing the internet at home my work won't get done fast enough.
3.If I know I am straying home I might drink until midnight every night.

I do better on a schedule and right now that schedule is to come to my office.

+1 on #3. LOL.

Reactions: Texas Lion
i feel you man. My wife is a Lt in a prison and it makes a thankless job even more tough. What facility are you at?

Im a K9 handler for the State so I’m also essential and unable to work from home. We are not working much however, so we are just training all day.

I'm at The Berks County Jail. Stay safe everyone!

Reactions: Whaaaaaaaany
I’m able to do initial work from home until there is an intel requirement then I’ll have to go into work to access higher classification data.

wife is a pharmacist at Womack in Ft. Bragg, so she’s mission essential personnel and working every day.

sucks, but also a blessing that we both still have jobs and steady income.

Just curious. If you want to post a note on why you still have to go to the office (besides the obvious to get a paycheck).

I still go to the office, I work in the National defense sector.

I’m asking on Toms board hoping the discussion doesn’t get political and more people visit here.
I work in the Medical Device industry. Quality Assurance. Beyond busy. We are considered essential workers. Work is now 1/4 wiping stuff down after use. Eat, sleep, work. The Irony is my wife works in the medical field as an O.T. She is basically laid-off. She's in a reserve pool. She'll get called in if it gets really bad.

Glad I found my small stash of masks N-95 masks that I have for woodworking. Just a few, but I am hanging onto them just in case my wife gets called to the front lines.

Last edited:
I'm with a local municipality in Zoning/Code Enforcement. Considered an essential employee in the public sector, so I'm in the office.

I'm in the office... sales manager for a contract manufacturer that makes implants (spine, upper/lower extremity) for medical device OEMs. We are considered life sustaining, though much of what we do is used for elective surgeries. I work 12 miles from my house...this morning I made it to work in 14 minutes(driveway to parking space). I will try to shave off a few seconds tomorrow...records are made to be broken.

I'm in the office... sales manager for a contract manufacturer that makes implants (spine, upper/lower extremity) for medical device OEMs. We are considered life sustaining, though much of what we do is used for elective surgeries. I work 12 miles from my house...this morning I made it to work in 14 minutes(driveway to parking space). I will try to shave off a few seconds tomorrow...records are made to be broken.
Traffic is a dream!! Austin- 10 miles in 13 minutes - and that’s with construction near my house and some annoying 4 way stops near work

I work in manufacturing and am a supplier for a wide range of industries including defense. In the office everyday. Honestly, business wise I wouldn't even know anything crazy is going on. We're not even slow.

Home. Doing Zoom lectures on Trigonometric functions, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, and Saccheri Quadrilaterals. It’s not the same as having the students in the classroom with you but I don’t whine.
Same here for Chemistry for Delaware Technical Community College

Reactions: kevin310
I work in manufacturing and am a supplier for a wide range of industries including defense. In the office everyday. Honestly, business wise I wouldn't even know anything crazy is going on. We're not even slow.

We aren't slow because we are working on orders placed late 2019 and early 2020. But due to cancellation/delay of surgeries, my customers are going to have plenty of inventory...my guess is we see a pull back early 3rd quarter. I think 4th quarter is going to look dismal. We are definitely going to take a hit.

In the office, regular schedule.

Work at Cleveland VA Medical Center (non-medical).

As of this morning, 14 total positive cases (patients & staff).

Haven’t worked in an office in almost 10 years. Though it’s a lot different now with a wife and kids here all day too.

Plus, I’d normally be spending ~20 hours/weeks handicapping sports, and other time umpiring baseball and coaching soccer.

Definitely looking forward to life getting back to normal.

Reactions: Spydersgirl
Yes, I'm considered a necessary Healthcare worker even though I am locked up in the lab (cytotechnologist)

Reactions: LionJim
Work for Non-profit social service, residential and behavioral health organization- considered Life Essential

go in two days and home 3 days

have over an hour commute so saving on gas and wear and tear on vehicle (and my body!)

Thanks for thinking of me. I haven’t been laying as much wood as I envisioned when this Gestapo environment ensued. I am on Double Secret Probation after an unsatisfactory performance at the DUI Checkpoint that was set up at the intersection of the refrigerator and the stairway to my man cave! It’s in the hands of my attorney now! ;)

Working from home is great. I get to wear a T-shirt and my be-right-backs. Much better than captive dress clothes with all those buttons, a zipper, and a belt.

LOL.
I'd be interested in an adoption.
I've been looking around here, bmore area, at the shelters and humane societies but all they seem to have are Pit Bulls or Pit Bull mixes and thats not what I want.
Thanks for the response.

Careful when adopting a dog that was potential police material. They generally come from breedings that are intended to create a very high drive dog. They are likely going to need to be worked multiple times a day, every day. Also may need to be crated when you aren’t around, else they’ll destroy your home. I’m not saying you shouldn’t, they can be great dogs, just want you to know what you’re getting into so the dog goes to the right type of home.

I say this as an owner of two Czech-lined German shepherds that come from these type of breedings.

Reactions: LionJim and BBrown
Still working in the office every day. I'm in Abu Dhabi though. We only have 300 or so cases here and the country is completely locked down - no flights in or out.
Sister in law is an ex-nih md who has been in Qatar last three years doing diabetes research and programs. When they found out she’d done med support in Katrina they repurposed her to run the mrs support for a 500 bed quarantine facility they set up at the Doha st Regis. She better get at least 50 extra camels for this.

Reactions: cment
We aren't slow because we are working on orders placed late 2019 and early 2020. But due to cancellation/delay of surgeries, my customers are going to have plenty of inventory...my guess is we see a pull back early 3rd quarter. I think 4th quarter is going to look dismal. We are definitely going to take a hit.
I’m a lawyer supporting that industry. Lots of discussions about how to handle volume based contracts at the moment.

Same here for Chemistry for Delaware Technical Community College
How are you handling lab work for the students? That's pretty essential. At PSU lab and lecture were separate classes, but at tOSU the first chem courses were combined lab, lecture, and what they called recitation (basically a Q&A session with quizzes led by a TA on a smaller scale (20-30 students). I was a TA at both schools back in the day.

How are you handling lab work for the students? That's pretty essential. At PSU lab and lecture were separate classes, but at tOSU the first chem courses were combined lab, lecture, and what they called recitation (basically a Q&A session with quizzes led by a TA on a smaller scale (20-30 students). I was a TA at both schools back in the day.
We took a two fold approach. Myself and our lab technician video taped two labs and posted it where they observe the lab and fill out the lab report. The second was to create paper lab reports in Microsoft word format to supplement the lectures.
Not optimum, but working so far.

It's Friday morning. We have an office of 55 people, about 8-10 who are constantly outside as their jobs mandate that. So, about 45 who are generally in the office.

We have five today, including me. One guy took a company truck to go to a job site, so leaving four. It's the quietest this office has been since I have been here for three years. Some people I have not seen in a couple of weeks.

Yes you do get used to drinking every night. Wait,...oh you meant get used to staying home.

Both really. I've been working from home for a year. It's weird deciding when you're done working so I crack a cold one and hang out on the porch. That's my commute. Same for most now I guess. I'm not so special anymore.

Reactions: Langmuir

Awesome! Thanks for putting a smile on my face! BTW I have seen some of the sub-assembles like the ones you describe. Beyond awesome! You are making peoples quality of life better!

Cheers!

Funny. Everyone who has met me has the same expression...

giphy.gif

Both really. I've been working from home for a year. It's weird deciding when you're done working so I crack a cold one and hang out on the porch. That's my commute. Same for most now I guess. I'm not so special anymore.

My wife who works from home has said her life is really not that much different except for not going to the gym in the evening. My college age daughter, HS son, and I are not doing as well. General malaise seems to be the best term to describe it.

My wife who works from home has said her life is really not that much different except for not going to the gym in the evening. My college age daughter, HS son, and I are not doing as well. General malaise seems to be the best term to describe it.

Honestly since the Great Panic the only change to my lifestyle is no food at all from restaurants and now I go to the store sometimes (military style raids) instead of the GF. I cook much more.

I complained and hemmed and hawed about working from home for the last year. It was making me crazy and depressed. I was about to lose my job but I just begged for it last week and kept it. Now I'm so happy to have the same job at reduced pay.

I will rise like a phoenix if I survive this. I always fail upwards.

I'm not gonna lie, it's not easy to get used to this. I recommend lots of looking out the window. The mailman and garbage man's comings and goings can be quite fascinating. Also, smoking pot is important. Prohibition needs to end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT