ADVERTISEMENT

Where would this program be without the portal?

Harrisburg Dave

Dec 29, 2016
I got to thinking about the claims of how CJF is such a marvelous recruiter. Really?

Where would we be under the rules prior to the portal?

No Stout, AK, Tangelo, and three or four other kids who saw lots of playing time Saturday.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
I got to thinking about the claims of how CJF is such a marvelous recruiter. Really?

No Stout, AK, Tangelo, and three or four other kids who saw lots of playing time Saturday.
probably the same 6-4 we currently sit at to be honest.

Reactions: trz103

To be fair about the assessment, the portal players also had to be recruited, although not as a long term recruiting process.

Reactions: MaconNitt
Actually we could possibly be 8-2. Levis would have been the backup QB when Clifford got hurt and we most likely would have beaten Iowa and Illinois with Levis. Remember, if you are saying we can't get anyone through the portal, we wouldn't lose anyone through it either.

Very Good Point!!! I might even say 9-1 as teams that win find a way to win and they probably find a way to beat Michigan if the year was going well.

Dare I say since players can't portal out that the last drive Clifford is trying to throw to Shorter instead of CSB and we win!!!

Reactions: BEEFZ

It's really an indictment as to how poor Franklin and staff have been at developing recruits. Recruiting means nothing if the players aren't coached and developed.

It's really an indictment as to how poor Franklin and staff have been at developing recruits. Recruiting means nothing if the players aren't coached and developed.
Don’t agree because it gets magnified because we do t get as many of them. Shorter is a good example. He was a 5 star recruit coming in to play with 3 star guys. He flipped here and it gets blown up, my being a culprit. If he goes to Ohio state and flops it is no big deal because of all the 5 stars they get, see Fleming.

IDK, we have an awful lot of players in the NFL for not being able to develop them.
Amos and Gould??? They must have drunk from the Fountain of Youth. I kid.

I don't have time tonight, but it would be interesting to not only study the PSU players on roster as to who recruited them and who their position coaches were while at PSU, but also analyze the number of highly-rated recruits that didn't pan out in the NFL and not because of injury.

Amos and Gould??? They must have drunk from the Fountain of Youth. I kid.

I don't have time tonight, but it would be interesting to not only study the PSU players on roster as to who recruited them and who their position coaches were while at PSU, but also analyze the number of highly-rated recruits that didn't pan out in the NFL and not because of injury.
PSU'S job ends at the draft. NFL success is on the player and organization who drafts them.

Reactions: indoorgolf
The portal giveth and the portal taketh away. It sure would have been nice to have Levis on the roster this season. Franklin did well to nab Stout and AK as a couple of examples, they have been vital contributors.

One thing is for sure though, portal management is now a required part of the coach's job. We now have defacto free agency, which is going to make retaining players you need and getting the right players from the portal to fill roster gaps absolutely critical.

Last edited:

So you're saying that Franklin IS a good judge of talent

Let’s look at the flip side. Think of the player we would have kept. Turns out losing Levi cost us 2/3 games. We also lost a lot of DT depth.

Where would a lot of programs be without the portal? Acting like Penn State is the only program that has taken any players.

What are Ryan Days first two seasons like with Tate Martell instead of Justin Fields?

Last edited:

Where would OSU have been with out Fields? Where would OK have been without any of their QB transfers, how about MSU this year or last? MD would be even worse with out their portal QB or WR's, its a very long list of teams that have used the portal efficiently and effectively.

Where would OSU have been with out Fields? Where would OK have been without any of their QB transfers, how about MSU this year or last? MD would be even worse with out their portal QB or WR's, its a very long list of teams that have used the portal efficiently and effectively.

Critiquing Franklin for things that are basically universally true is the new way to bash him on here. Like stating he only had any success in 16/17/19 because he took advantage of the talent on the roster. As if that's not what every successful program does.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown

With Will Levis we beat Iowa and Illinois.
Maybe OSU and Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT