ADVERTISEMENT

Where we stand with Recruits 4/18

bmw199

Apr 10, 2013
Hi Everyone! Been extra busy the last year or so and haven’t had time to do these and keep track of things like in the past, but with the biggest recruiting weekend since the 2017 white out coming up this weekend, I thought I would share what I do have. I will start with listing currently known visitors for this weekend then give a breakdown of some of my rankings. (FYI, I know I am missing 1 official visitors but I am not sure who they are at this time. I will edit this post and update throughout the weekend.)
Blue White visitors:
  • 2019 Official: 4* ATH Wilson, 4* S Rudolph, 5/4* RB Ford, 5* LB Pappoe, 5* DE Harrison, 4* CB Davis, 4* ATH Kelly, 4* ATH Thompkins, 4/3* CB Burrell, 4* ATH Weston
  • 2019 Un-Official: 5/4* DL Alfano, 4* OT Truss, 4* OG Wallace, 4* TE Billingsley, 4* DT Johnson, 3* OG Moore, 3* LB White, 3* DE Ojabo, 3* JUCO S Brisker, 3* ATH Tate, 4* S Hellams
  • 2020: 5* WR Fleming, 5* DE Bresee, 4* WR Jarrett, 4* DT Williams, 4* CB Hill
  • 2021: 5* S Davis, 5* OL Tengwall
Franklin never ceases to amaze… Honestly, every time we have a crazy recruiting weekend, I’m like, “It can’t get better than this.” Franklin apparently won’t rest until he has the entire top 100 on campus and he appears to have the talent to do it. It is a great time to be a Penn State fan.

As far as my rankings right now go, Smith is rumored to be a commit already. Which isn’t that shocking since it seems like he has brought everyone even slightly related to him with him on his many visits to State College. Wormley, OL MVP of the NJ OPENING event, tweeted yesterday that he is committed but didn’t say to who. Penn State seems like the over whelming favorite for Truss, Wallace, Metchie, Wilson, and Rudolph. Wilson and Rudolph could both decide soon but also have a bunch of visits lined up so it will be very interesting to see how DB recruiting goes down in this class being that we already have 1 and a few others highly interested: Cine, Brisker, Porter Jr., a contingent of GA/southern athletes, and an outside shot at Dematha’s Hellams, and Cross.

Ford will be on campus this weekend for an official (if you want to see something pretty hilarious check out Nana Asiedu’s twitter where he “atted” Michael Vick for tweeting about Ford going to Tech). Cain will official next weekend at PSU. While both are probably favored to go elsewhere, it has been a long time and conditions were very different the last time Franklin struck out on two players at a position on need. I’ll put my money on Franklin getting one of them.

From there on there is a crazy amount of fluidity in the targets of Penn State in my opinion. One week you’ll think Quinn Carroll is in the ‘have to get really lucky’ category, next thing you know he is official visiting. Then, you’ll think Wete and Dalcourt are locks if we want them and you see nothing on them and Penn State. Lastly, there is the lack of in state offers. All of this I think can be attributed to the low number of currently available scholarships for the class of 2019. There still needs to be attrition, of 2 players, for the fall of 2018 to even get that class in. There is no doubt that a good season this year will see a number of players jump to play professionally on Sundays (McGovern, Bates, Reid, Johnson, Sanders, and believe it or not Gillikin could all go), and a few grad transfers from guys running out of eligibility who have already graduated but are not in the rotation. There will certainly be more clarity as the season goes on.

Commit Watch (if it ended today):
5* LB Smith, 5/4* DL Alfano, 4* OT Truss, 4* OG Wallace, 4* WR Metchie, 4* ATH Wilson, 4* S Rudolph, 3* OG Wormley, 3* LB White, 3* DE Ojabo

Very Good Chance:
4* S Cine, 5/4* RB Ford, 4* DL Faucheux, 4* DE Isaac, 3* JUCO S Brisker, 3* DT Harrison-Hunte

In The Battle:
5* DE Harrison, 5* LB Pappoe, 5* RB Cain, 4* OT Carroll, 4* WR Bell, 4* DE Wete, 4* ATH Kelly, 4* TE Foskey, 4* CB Davis, 4* LB Ekwonu, 4* TE Billingsley, 4* DJ Turner II, 4* ATH Thompkins, 4* OT Dalcourt, 4* LB Dixon, 4/3* CB Porter Jr, 4/3* CB Burrell, 3* RB Robinson, 3* RB Houston, 3* WR C. Johnson, 3* OG Moore, 3* WR Engram

Work Left To Do:
5* OT Dobbs, 4* ATh Hellams, 4* OG Putnam, 4* CB Jones, 4* OT Olmstead, 4* S Cross, 4* DL Hunter, 4* S Pola-Gates, 4* OG Correll, 4* DT Johnson, 4* CB Fields, 4* DL Beamon, 3* WR Q. Johnson

Have To Get Really Lucky:
5* OT Wright, 4* TE Henry, 4* DE Jackson, 4* LB Brooks, 4* LB Stover, 4 * OT Keegan, 4* DT Smith

Last edited:
Hi Everyone! Been extra busy the last year or so and haven’t had time to do these and keep track of things like in the past, but with the biggest recruiting weekend since the 2017 white out coming up this weekend, I thought I would share what I do have. I will start with listing currently known visitors for this weekend then give a breakdown of some of my rankings. (FYI, I know I am missing 2 official visitors but I am not sure who they are at this time. I will edit this post and update throughout the weekend.)
Blue White visitors:
  • 2019 Official: 4* ATH Wilson, 4* S Rudolph, 5/4* RB Ford, 5* LB Pappoe, 5* DE Harrison, 4* CB Davis, 4* ATH Thompkins, 4/3* CB Burrell
  • 2019 Un-Official: 5/4* DL Alfano, 4* OT Truss, 4* OG Wallace, 4* TE Billingsley, 4* DT Johnson, 4* ATH Kelly, 3* LB White
  • 2020: 5* WR Fleming, 5* DE Bresee, 4* WR Jarrett, 4* DT Williams
Franklin never ceases to amaze… Honestly, every time we have a crazy recruiting weekend, I’m like, “It can’t get better than this.” Franklin apparently won’t rest until he has the entire top 100 on campus and he appears to have the talent to do it. It is a great time to be a Penn State fan.

As far as my rankings right now go, Smith is rumored to be a commit already. Which isn’t that shocking since it seems like he has brought everyone even slightly related to him with him on his many visits to State College. Wormley, OL MVP of the NJ OPENING event, tweeted yesterday that he is committed but didn’t say to who. Penn State seems like the over whelming favorite for Truss, Wallace, Metchie, Wilson, and Rudolph. Wilson and Rudolph could both decide soon but also have a bunch of visits lined up so it will be very interesting to see how DB recruiting goes down in this class being that we already have 1 and a few others highly interested: Cine, Brisker, Porter Jr., a contingent of GA/southern athletes, and an outside shot at Dematha’s Hellams, and Cross.

Ford will be on campus this weekend for an official (if you want to see something pretty hilarious check out Nana Asiedu’s twitter where he “atted” Michael Vick for tweeting about Ford going to Tech). Cain will official next weekend at PSU. While both are probably favored to go elsewhere, it has been a long time and conditions were very different the last time Franklin struck out on two players at a position on need. I’ll put my money on Franklin getting one of them.

From there on there is a crazy amount of fluidity in the targets of Penn State in my opinion. One week you’ll think Quinn Carroll is in the ‘have to get really lucky’ category, next thing you know he is official visiting. Then, you’ll think Wete and Dalcourt are locks if we want them and you see nothing on them and Penn State. Lastly, there is the lack of in state offers. All of this I think can be attributed to the low number of currently available scholarships for the class of 2019. There still needs to be attrition, of 2 players, for the fall of 2018 to even get that class in. There is no doubt that a good season this year will see a number of players jump to play professionally on Sundays (McGovern, Bates, Reid, Johnson, Sanders, and believe it or not Gillikin could all go), and a few grad transfers from guys running out of eligibility who have already graduated but are not in the rotation. There will certainly be more clarity as the season goes on.

5* LB Smith, 5/4* DL Alfano, 4* OT Truss, 4* OG Wallace, 4* WR Metchie, 4* ATH Wilson, 4* S Rudolph, 3* OG Wormley, 3* LB White, 3* DE Ojabo

Very Good Chance:
4* S Cine, 5/4* RB Ford, 4* DL Faucheux, 4* DE Isaac, 3* JUCO S Brisker, 3* DT Harrison-Hunte

In The Battle:
5* DE Harrison, 5* LB Pappoe, 5* RB Cain, 4* OT Carroll, 4* WR Bell, 4* DE Wete, 4* ATH Kelly, 4* TE Foskey, 4* CB Davis, 4* LB Ekwonu, 4* TE Billingsley, 4* DJ Turner II, 4* ATH Thompkins, 4* OT Dalcourt, 4* LB Dixon, 4/3* CB Porter Jr, 4/3* CB Burrell, 3* RB Robinson, 3* RB Houston, 3* WR C. Johnson, 3* OG Moore, 3* WR Engram

Work Left To Do:
5* OT Dobbs, 4* ATh Hellams, 4* OG Putnam, 4* CB Jones, 4* OT Olmstead, 4* S Cross, 4* DL Hunter, 4* S Pola-Gates, 4* OG Correll, 4* DT Johnson, 4* CB Fields, 4* DL Beamon, 3* WR Q. Johnson

5* OT Wright, 4* TE Henry, 4* DE Jackson, 4* LB Brooks, 4* LB Stover, 4 * OT Keegan, 4* DT Smith

If we get everybody on commit watch that would fill up most of the class. I think the staff can afford to be very selective.

Maybe something like this...

QB Roberson
RB Robinson/Ford/Cain
WR Metchie
TE Billingsly
OL Truss
OL Wallace
OL Wormley

DE Alfano
DE Ojabo
DT Faucheaux
LB Smith
LB White
CB Ellis
DB Rudolph
DB Wilson
DB Brisker/Cine
Let's say its Ford and Cine, and add Porter Jr. and Isaac: that gives you a 24/7 score of 262. In 2018 that would have been #13 class, #9 in '17, and #12 in '16.

If we had room for 25 this class would push for #1.

Let's say its Ford and Cine, and add Porter Jr. and Isaac: that gives you a 24/7 score of 262. In 2018 that would have been #13 class, #9 in '17, and #12 in '16.

Would be very, very happy with that class. Keep in mind that about half those names are in for a big ratings boost. Wouldn't say no to another LB like Lance Dixon or an athlete like Hellams, if we can find room.

List of PSU offers:
https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Season/2019-Football/Offers

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78 and bmw199
The recruitment of RB Devyn Ford is interesting to me. The RB room at OSU is surely getting crowded as they have already taken commitments from four 4* RBs between the '18 and '19 classes. VTech on the other hand hasn't produced a notable RB prospect in recent memory? It seems like it would make sense for him to commit to PSU and share carries with Slade before becoming the featured back in an offense that produces a lot of opportunities for the position.

With that being said, the Robinson kid from DC seems like an intriguing prospect if all else fails with Ford/Cain.

Hi Everyone! Been extra busy the last year or so and haven’t had time to do these and keep track of things like in the past, but with the biggest recruiting weekend since the 2017 white out coming up this weekend, I thought I would share what I do have. I will start with listing currently known visitors for this weekend then give a breakdown of some of my rankings. (FYI, I know I am missing 2 official visitors but I am not sure who they are at this time. I will edit this post and update throughout the weekend.)
Blue White visitors:
  • 2019 Official: 4* ATH Wilson, 4* S Rudolph, 5/4* RB Ford, 5* LB Pappoe, 5* DE Harrison, 4* CB Davis, 4* ATH Thompkins, 4/3* CB Burrell
  • 2019 Un-Official: 5/4* DL Alfano, 4* OT Truss, 4* OG Wallace, 4* TE Billingsley, 4* DT Johnson, 4* ATH Kelly, 3* LB White
  • 2020: 5* WR Fleming, 5* DE Bresee, 4* WR Jarrett, 4* DT Williams

Very Good Chance:

In The Battle:

Work Left To Do:

Man that is some good info..I really want to get Cine but my crystal ball is cloudy.

Thanks, bmw, I was looking forward to seeing this post.

Any idea where a (perceived) depth chart of 2-deep can be found of the current squad? I was only able to find 2017 on the school's website.
I want to check the depth chart with the number of players entering the season as RS JRs. Looking at the roster from the recent clinic, IIRC, I had 8 with SR or GR eligibility, 16 with JR eligibility with names that didn't ring a bell to my son or I, and 1 we think is going to the NFL following the season who has JR eligibility.
With some getting the message either following Saturday's game, or throughout next season, I'm thinking the number of available scholarships could be higher than most expect.
But, I am no expert and don't follow recruiting nearly as close as you and others.
Again, thanks for the post!

OL

Any idea where a (perceived) depth chart of 2-deep can be found of the current squad? I was only able to find 2017 on the school's website.
I want to check the depth chart with the number of players entering the season as RS JRs. Looking at the roster from the recent clinic, IIRC, I had 8 with SR or GR eligibility, 16 with JR eligibility with names that didn't ring a bell to my son or I, and 1 we think is going to the NFL following the season who has JR eligibility.
With some getting the message either following Saturday's game, or throughout next season, I'm thinking the number of available scholarships could be higher than most expect.
But, I am no expert and don't follow recruiting nearly as close as you and others.

OL

We won't lose much next year, unless players leave early for the NFL.

Last year of eligibility, starters

Offense
QB McSorley
RT Wright (if he beats out Fries)
WR Thompkins

Defense
LB Farmer
CB Amani O.
S Scott

Reactions: TheGLOV

OL
I have 11 graduating, but we still need to get down 2. Here are the 16 RS Jrs:
John Reid
Sterling Jenkins
Tommy Stevens
Jarvis Miller
Ryan Bates
Ryan Buchholz
Juwan Johnson
Stephen Gonzalez
Jonathan Holland
Ayron Monroe
Garrett Taylor
Robert Windsor
Shareef Miller
Nick Bowers
John Petrishen
Kevin Givens

4 true Jrs:
Connor McGovern (already being mocked to round 1)
Miles Sanders
Blake Gillikin
Cameron Brown

RS So (draft eligible, but highly unlikely anyone leaves for pros):
Jake Zembiec
Daniel Dalton
Alex Gellerstedt
Shane Simmons
Zechariah McPhearson
Michal Menet
Will Fries
Ellison Jordan
Daniel Joseph
Shaka Toney
Antonio Shelton
Dae'lun Darien

Last edited:
Great job, as always.

IMO, I'd move

UP
Faucheux
Brisker
Moore

Down
Ford
Houston (not a take)
Engram (not a take)
Welp, Moore gaining CB steam to PSU. I'm guessing he's an unannounced visitor this weekend. Interesting how they work that into the scholarship numbers.

Oh, and I think we're in very good shape for Porter Jr. Waiting to see if OSU ever offers, but we're no worse than 50% shot there imo.

OT Olmstead, 4*, as a "Work Left To Do" is way too high.

He has eliminated PSU, (posted a top 5 not including PSU) and has set a decision date with no plans to visit PSU before then. If this is accurate, he would not even be on the board.....

Last edited:

OL

CJF does not post depth charts during Spring practice. Can't remember if he posted one post-Spring practice last year.

There are a number of possibilities for early departures to the NFL, posted above, but I'd be surprise if all on that list actually move on after 2018. And there will also likely be a few players that leave before their eligibility expires due to their graduation and inability to crack the 2 deep. One possibility would be Jenkins, who will be in his 4th year at PSU this coming season, but has yet to crack the depth chart, and would seem to be a candidate to move on after the 2018 season.....

Reactions: OhioLion
Great job, as always.

IMO, I'd move

UP
Faucheux
Brisker
Moore

Down
Ford
Houston (not a take)
Engram (not a take)

Hey Judge, question sir.

So many people feel the recruitnik's are wrong with Ford's lack of interest in PSU. Meaning we got a great shot or he is 'high' on us.

Others feel we have little or no chance.

Where exactly do we stand sir and maybe why please?

I'll hang up and listen to your response.

Thank you!

Reactions: MANASSASPSU

OL

One way to gain insight into the depth chart is to look at the way the team is divided for the B/W game. CJF stated that the Blue's are the first team players ("the One's"), with the White being the "two's"....

So, from the rosters the 1st team LB's (and possibly those in the fight to be starters) would be in order of their numbers: Brown, Farmer, Miller, Parsons, Brooks, Cooper, Darien, Johnson

1st team Safety's: Scott, Petrishen, Taylor, Monroe

There looks to be some senior recognition in the Blue team roster and the numbers indicate depth for the Blue as well, but if you are fighting for a starting spot and you are on the White Team, you are running 2nd team at best right now. For example Wade and Sutherland at Safety.

Surprises to me are Tarburton, Joseph and Handsard on the Blue.

2018 Penn State Blue Team Roster
No. Name Pos. Cl./El. Ht. Wt.
1 Hamler, KJ WR So./Fr. 5-9 172
2 Stevens, Tommy * QB Sr./Jr. 6-5 232
3 Johnson, Donovan CB So./Fr. 5-9 185
3 Thompkins, DeAndre *** WR Gr./Sr. 5-11 191
4 Scott, Nick *** S 5th/Sr. 5-11
5 Castro-Fields, Tariq * CB So./ So. 6-0 186
6 Brown, Cam ** LB Jr./Jr. 6-5 222
7 Farmer, Koa *** LB Gr./Sr. 6-1 236
8 Allen, Mark * RB Gr./Sr. 5-6 187
9 McSorley, Trace *** QB 5th/Sr. 6-0 198
9 Miller, Jarvis ** LB Sr./Jr. 6-2 215
10 Polk, Brandon ** WR Sr./Jr. 5-9 171
11 Parsons, Micah LB Fr./Fr. 6-3 241
12 Hippenhammer, Mac WR So./Fr. 5-11 170
13 Brooks, Ellis LB So./Fr. 6-1 234
14 Clifford, Sean QB So./Fr. 6-2 211
16 Petrishen, John S Sr./Jr. 6-0 204
17 Taylor, Garrett ** S Sr./Jr. 6-0 200
18 Holland, Jonathan ** TE/H Sr./Jr. 6-4 247
18 Toney, Shaka * DE Jr./So. 6-3 224
19 Brown, Torrence *** DE 5th/Sr. 6-3 257
20 Thomas, Johnathan * RB Gr./Sr. 5-11 215
20 Butler, Jabari CB Sr./Jr. 5-11 182
21 Oruwariye, Amani *** CB Gr./Sr. 6-1 204
23 Monroe, Ayron ** S Sr./Jr. 5-11 202
24 Sanders, Miles ** RB Jr./Jr. 5-11 211
29 Reid, John ** CB Sr./Jr. 5-10 189
30 Givens, Kevin ** DT Sr./Jr. 6-1 275
33 Cooper, Jake *** LB Sr./Sr. 6-1 235
34 Simmons, Shane * DE Jr./So. 6-3 246
36 Johnson, Jan LB Sr./Jr. 6-2 236
41 Darien, Dae’Lun * LB Jr./So. 6-4 212
42 Jordan, Ellison * DT Jr./So. 6-0 295
46 Tarburton, Nick DE Fr./Fr. 6-3 243 .
48 Miller, Shareef ** DE Sr./Jr. 6-5 256
49 Joseph, Daniel DE Jr./So. 6-3 248
52 Bates, Ryan ** OL Sr./Jr. 6-4 305
53 Hansard, Fred DT So./Fr. 6-3 315
54 Windsor, Robert ** DT Sr./Jr. 6-4 281 .
55 Shelton, Antonio DT Jr./So. 6-2 295
62 Menet, Michal * OL Jr./So. 6-4 301
64 Simpson, Zach ** OL Sr./Jr. 6-3 294
66 McGovern, Connor ** OL Jr./Jr. 6-5 320
71 Fries, Will * OL Jr./So. 6-6 305
74 Gonzalez, Steven ** OL Sr./Jr. 6-4 336 U.
77 Wright, Chasz *** OL 5th/Sr. 6-7 346
80 Dalton, Danny TE/H Jr./So. 6-4 245
81 Sullivan-Brown, Cam WR So./Fr. 6-0 185
82 Shoop, Tyler WR Sr./Jr. 5-11 181
83 Bowers, Nick TE/H Sr./Jr. 6-4 265 .
84 Johnson, Juwan ** WR Sr./Jr. 6-4 229 .
93 Gillikin, Blake ** P/K Jr./Jr. 6-2 192
94 Calcagno, Joe SN So./Fr. 6-0 239
96 Iyke, Immanuel DT Sr./Jr. 6-2 298
96 Vasey, Kyle * SN 5th/Sr. 6-2 230
97 Buchholz, Ryan ** DE Sr./Jr. 6-6 264

2018 Penn State White Team Roster
No. Name Pos. Cl./El. Ht. Wt.
2 Humphries, Isaiah S Fr./Fr. 6-0 191
7 Zembiec, Jake QB Jr./So. 6-3 215
14 McPhearson, Zech * CB Jr./So. 5-11 182
15 Shuster, Michael QB Jr./So. 6-2 208
19 Gordon, Trent CB Fr./Fr. 5-11 181
24 Brown, DJ CB So./Fr. 5-10 181
25 Faison-Walden, Brelin LB So./Fr. 6-1 212
26 Sutherland, Jonathan S So./Fr. 5-11 198
31 Welde, Christopher RB Sr./Jr. 5-7 171
32 Brown, Journey RB So./Fr. 5-11 197
35 Neff, Justin S So./Fr. 6-1 194
37 Hartlaub, Drew S So./Fr. 5-11 177
38 Wade, Lamont * S So./So. 5-9 196
39 Di Leo, Frank LB Sr./Jr. 5-9 223
40 Eury, Nick RB Jr./So. 5-9 211
40 Luketa, Jesse LB Fr./Fr. 6-3 239 .
41 Arcangelo, Joe TE/H Sr./Jr. 6-4 253 Abington Heights/Joe Repshis Clarks Summit, Pa.
44 Franklin, Brailyn LB So./Fr. 6-2 204
45 DuMond, Joe DE Jr./So. 5-11 243 .
47 Blair, Will LB Jr./So. 5-11 216
50 Chizmar, Max LB So./Fr. 6-2 207
51 Gellerstedt, Alex * OL Jr./So. 6-6 301
51 Vranic, Jason LB 5th/Sr. 6-0 226
58 Presta, Evan DT So./Fr. 6-3 272
68 Kelly, Hunter OL/DL Jr./So. 6-2 299
69 Thorpe, C.J. OL So./Fr. 6-3 322
72 Martin, Robbie OL So./Fr. 6-4 273
73 Miranda, Mike OL So./Fr. 6-3 302
75 Holmes, Des OL So./Fr. 6-5 306
76 Jenkins, Sterling OL Sr./Jr. 6-8 343 .
79 Shuman, Charlie OL 5th/Sr. 6-8 319
80 Weller, Justin WR So./Fr. 6-0 190
82 Kuntz, Zack TE/H Fr./Fr. 6-7 232
83 Hoenstine, Alex WR So./Fr. 6-1 181 .
85 Lutz, Isaac WR Jr./So. 5-11 185
89 Maxwell, Colton WR Jr./So. 6-0 189
90 Barber, Damion DT So./Fr. 6-3 278 .
91 Stoll, Chris SN So./Fr. 6-2 244
92 Bolds, Corey DT So./Fr. 6-3 289
95 Dix, Donnell DE Sr./Sr. 5-10 225 .
97 Landis, Carson K/P So./Fr. 6-2 196
98 Curry, Mike SN Sr./Jr. 6-0 215
98 Vasey, Dan DL/SN So./Fr. 6-4
99 Gross-Matos, Yetur * DE So./So. 6-5 257

2020 4* CB, Luke Hill, who is high school teammates with Jarrett and Mekhail Sherman will now be coming up this weekend too. Jarrett seems sold on PSU, so this is big that he is bringing his top 75 friend along with. No word if Sherman is coming too, but Ryan Snyder says "group of prospects" in a tweet. Got to believe St. Johns is the best high school team in the country the next two years.

The amount of talent that JF is able to bring to campus, even if just for visits, is like nothing we've ever seen before. It's funny, but we always thought we were big-time before, but we've never been close to this kind of high-talent interest in the modern era.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT