ADVERTISEMENT

Where we stand with Recruits 2017/2018 10/22/16

Good points. I think the staff really protected TM early in the year and that, perhaps, cost us against Pitt. Up until the second half of the Minny game, TM rarely ran the ball. That includes QB draws, zone-read and scrambles. The second half of Minny was a huge difference from previous games and has continued through tOSU.

And, TM really hasn't taken too many shots running the ball. He looks great (knocking on wood here). I am betting TM doesn't run the ball much against Purdue, unless we get into trouble in the second half.

I don't know if it's due to the staff or due to the fact that Trace seems much more comfortable now taking what's available.

I don't know if it's due to the staff or due to the fact that Trace seems much more comfortable now taking what's available.

Agreed. But in CJF's press conference yesterday, it appeared his choice or words tended toward the notion that they were running no option, options. that TM was told to give the ball to Barkley. I may be reading too much into that, but his word choices were a little odd to me.

McSorley doesn't have a great arm like Hack, Morelli, or even Bolden. He certainly doesn't have the athleticism of Clark or MRob. But he seems to have the "it" factor like McGloin.

Do you know that McSorely was also one of the top Safeties in Virginia in high school. He could've had more and better offers if he and his coach wanted him to play Safety in College. His athleticism is far superior than many people realize.

The most important recruit for us to get is Wade. If we get him then we will have gotten the best recruit out of the WPIAL for two years in a row. We got Sanders last year. This will signal to future recruits that Penn State gets the best and the pitters get the leftovers. That is the position we need to be in for the future.
I think it helps push that narrative, but if we weren't to get him it's also not an equal level of set back. I think we will end up getting him and Raines has been on campus a lot now. Getting a Quip would be a heck of a story also.

He would not appear to have the speed to play safety in the Big Ten, on the surface.

He has plenty of speed. OSU is about as athletic a defense as we will face and TM was able to make them miss. He even outraced OSU's #35 to the corner of the end zone when it looked like that guy was going to make a play on him in the back field. Herbstreet even commented that TM showed great speed on that play while watching the replay. The forty time he recorded last spring per the leader boards was in the mid 4.5s. That is up there even for our current DBs.

Last edited:
Good points. I think the staff really protected TM early in the year and that, perhaps, cost us against Pitt. Up until the second half of the Minny game, TM rarely ran the ball. That includes QB draws, zone-read and scrambles. The second half of Minny was a huge difference from previous games and has continued through tOSU.

And, TM really hasn't taken too many shots running the ball. He looks great (knocking on wood here). I am betting TM doesn't run the ball much against Purdue, unless we get into trouble in the second half.

Good points Obli...

It may also be a function of improvements by Stephens in practice and/or improvements by McSorley through a few games.

Just a possible consideration - The growth in one or both QBs may have allowed the staff to open up the running QB options with McSorley. They may now believe they have two stronger QB options as they have better learned the system. May not be as protective now, because of improved depth at this key spot.

Reactions: marshall23

JOSH-THOMPSON-PRO.JPG

Josh Thompson
Cornerback
3 STARS
Nacogdoches
Nacogdoches, TX
RR: 5.7
Ht: 6'0"
Wt: 183 lbs
Class: 2017

========

4_4447847.jpg

Josh Thompson
Nacogdoches, TX (Nacogdoches)

Cornerback
  • Ht 6-0
  • Wt 182
  • CLASS OF 17
247Sports Composite
3 Stars
Natl Comp393
CB38
St TX54

1_25410.gif

Hard Commit
7/27/2016
  • 25 OFFERS

Man, recruits love the hell out of Marcus Allen.

Reactions: bmw199 and T J
I don't know what his numbers are, for real, but he doesn't pass the eyeball test for being fast enough to play DB in the Big Ten. Linebackers are running him down at times.

This is not a knock on him, but just saying. I'd prefer someone faster than him playing safety. He does not look like a guy who runs a sub 4.6 with pads on.

I think it helps push that narrative, but if we weren't to get him it's also not an equal level of set back. I think we will end up getting him and Raines has been on campus a lot now. Getting a Quip would be a heck of a story also.

Has any Aliquippa high school player ever played for PSU? Not sure.

I don't know what his numbers are, for real, but he doesn't pass the eyeball test for being fast enough to play DB in the Big Ten. Linebackers are running him down at times.

This is not a knock on him, but just saying. I'd prefer someone faster than him playing safety. He does not look like a guy who runs a sub 4.6 with pads on.

Fair enough. Your eye ball test seems like a good measure. Teams from the ACC, SEC, and PAC 12 offered him as a DB but what do they know about speed and athleticism.

Last edited:
Now the eyeball test includes within the same field of view, D-1 football players. Before, it didn't.

There's a pretty long list of players that get offered, sign, and don't pan out. Are you aware of that?

Whatever. You think he's fast enough to play in a Big Ten defensive backfield. I question that. Am I not permitted to have an opinion different than yours?

Now the eyeball test includes within the same field of view, D-1 football players. Before, it didn't.

There's a pretty long list of players that get offered, sign, and don't pan out. Are you aware of that?

Whatever. You think he's fast enough to play in a Big Ten defensive backfield. I question that. Am I not permitted to have an opinion different than yours?

Of course you are. And I am entitled to my opinion as well as to support my opinion by pointing to what he timed at during spring workouts (which is certainly relevant when comparing his speed to teammates) as well as the fact that multiple power 5 schools recruited him as a DB. And I failed to mention that Pry was asked about TM not that long ago during an interview (I believe it was during spring ball). In addition to praising his QB skills, Pry noted that McSorley was the kind of player that could probably flip over to defense and have a position their as well.

Last edited:

Judging comparative speeds of players during a game is very difficult. They almost never start at the same time in the same exact direction. One is looking down field deciding where to run to make the most yards while the other guy is just flat out running trying to catch up. Do you think OSU's punter is as fast as Grant Haley?

That's nice of Pry, but I'll believe more if Harbaugh or Meyer says it.

I'm happy if TM outruns linebackers. Once he starts doing that all the time, I'll believe the speed numbers.

Judging comparative speeds of players during a game is very difficult. They almost never start at the same time in the same exact direction. One is looking down field deciding where to run to make the most yards while the other guy is just flat out running trying to catch up. Do you think OSU's punter is as fast as Grant Haley?

Based on what I saw, he might be. But someone who had access to his Aussie rules numbers said he is not your typical punter by any means.

Dude, why are clutching to this! His 40 time was top 20 on the team. He is faster than our likely all Big Ten S. Also, if he had been training to be a safety the last two years rather than a Qb maybe he would have developed differently. I don't get how there are numbers on this and you're still arguing.

Reactions: Pocono Lion
Dude, why are clutching to this! His 40 time was top 20 on the team. He is faster than our likely all Big Ten S. Also, if he had been training to be a safety the last two years rather than a Qb maybe he would have developed differently. I don't get how their are numbers on this and you're still arguing.
All I know is that he was fast enough to get to the pylon on his TD run and #35 Worley for tOSU is not slow.

All I know is that he was fast enough to get to the pylon on his TD run and #35 Worley for tOSU is not slow.

Agree, thought he showed good speed there - #35 had the angle on him as he was running the "flatter line" (i.e., he was running straight to the sideline while Trace had to run an "arc" to get the corner on him), Trace still got the corner on him and beat him to the pylon....IOW, Trace was clearly faster than #35 to get around the corner on him.

Reactions: mn78psu83
IMO Trace is the best" all around " QB at PSU since Kerry Collins. He is smart, makes good clock and field management decisions, throws the ball with accuracy, and has what JOE PA called football speed.
I'm not going to throw any of our former QB's under the bus but we had the athletes who couldn't throw and the canon arms who lacked accuracy or couldn't run.
Save the star ratings for the sports writers, and the height weight numbers for the combine followers.

Reactions: Nitt1300
IMO Trace is the best" all around " QB at PSU since Kerry Collins. He is smart, makes good clock and field management decisions, throws the ball with accuracy, and has what JOE PA called football speed.
I'm not going to throw any of our former QB's under the bus but we had the athletes who couldn't throw and the canon arms who lacked accuracy or couldn't run.
Save the star ratings for the sports writers, and the height weight numbers for the combine followers.
He certainly hasn't given us many "WTF?" moments. For a first year starter, that in itself is pretty damn impressive.

Reactions: bjf1991
Odd you say that bc his 40 time is faster than Marcus Allen's: http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2016/03/built_for_speed_penn_states_pl.html#19

Marcus Allen, who by the way, is having an All Big Ten season
Without opening the link.....

Allen has to be one of the slowest (as far as pure footspeed) safeties in the conference.
He makes his bones by being a physical run-stopper, in the box, safety (whether folks think he is particularly accomplished in that task is a separate issue.....the bottom line is that is why he is out there)
Unless one views McSorly as a potential "physical run-stopping inside the box" safety.....comparing the two based on footspeed is inane.

Based on what I saw, he might be. But someone who had access to his Aussie rules numbers said he is not your typical punter by any means.
If you watch the tape, it took time for Haley to get possession, get upright and start going. 95 had a bit of a head start and a slight angle. But yeah, I was worried Haley might get caught by an Aussie rules football player.

Last edited:
Dude, why are clutching to this! His 40 time was top 20 on the team. He is faster than our likely all Big Ten S. Also, if he had been training to be a safety the last two years rather than a Qb maybe he would have developed differently. I don't get how there are numbers on this and you're still arguing.

Whatever. You guys want to anoint him as some Bo Jackson type of athlete. McGloin couldn't have played safety. Collins couldn't have played safety. Hackenburg, Blackledge, Fusina, Mills. None of them could have played safety. (Now, in a different life, maybe Bolden could have been a safety.....)

It's not a crime.

But if you all think that this kid is someone who could play Big Ten safety, then have it. Hopefully we can recruit a bunch of kids just like him to play that position, and you'll be happy.

Trace is developing nicely as a QB. But I don't care what the "official" PSU numbers are: he is not all that fast. We have one guy here who posts game summaries who agrees with this judgment, who dares to state that Trace isn't an elite runner. You take issue with him, too. No big deal.

Whatever. You guys want to anoint him as some Bo Jackson type of athlete. McGloin couldn't have played safety. Collins couldn't have played safety. Hackenburg, Blackledge, Fusina, Mills. None of them could have played safety. (Now, in a different life, maybe Bolden could have been a safety.....)

It's not a crime.

But if you all think that this kid is someone who could play Big Ten safety, then have it. Hopefully we can recruit a bunch of kids just like him to play that position, and you'll be happy.

Trace is developing nicely as a QB. But I don't care what the "official" PSU numbers are: he is not all that fast. We have one guy here who posts game summaries who agrees with this judgment, who dares to state that Trace isn't an elite runner. You take issue with him, too. No big deal.

I'm told Jim Kelly had the ability to be a good LB though....

It's not a crime.

Bit of hyperbole and misrepresentation there.

Reactions: bmw199
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT