ADVERTISEMENT

where do you take your morning coffee?

Lion Son/Husband/Father

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2013
“we’re lake people”
KDzKgwn.jpg

I don’t drink coffee....vile drink.

You and me buddy. I've had two sips of coffee my entire life. Once I was about 13-14 and was curious what it tasted like since my parents drank it all the time (and it does smell OK). Thought it was horrible. Never had the urge to try it again until I was about 30. Same situation. My wife drinks it, I decided to try hers. Thought it sucked... said "Nope, this is the exact same shitty taste I remember".

You and me buddy. I've had two sips of coffee my entire life. Once I was about 13-14 and was curious what it tasted like since my parents drank it all the time (and it does smell OK). Thought it was horrible. Never had the urge to try it again until I was about 30. Same situation. My wife drinks it, I decided to try hers. Thought it sucked... said "Nope, this is the exact same shitty taste I remember".

You just have to add 2-3 packets of sugar or sweet-and-low and 2-3 mini-portions of half and half! :)

I drank it once in a while during finals weeks, until I discovered Mountain Dew has more caffeine and tastes a hell of a lot better. A couple times over the past 15 years my wife keeps getting me to try all these flavored foo foo coffee drinks, telling me I would like it better than regular coffee, and they’re just as bad.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
I drank it once in a while during finals weeks, until I discovered Mountain Dew has more caffeine and tastes a hell of a lot better. A couple times over the past 15 years my wife keeps getting me to try all these flavored foo foo coffee drinks, telling me I would like it better than regular coffee, and they’re just as bad.

Just looked this up. twelve ounce MTD - 46 grams of sugar / coffee 0. Daily recommended allowance for men 36 grams. How many do you drink daily.

...but, you won't get any of this from some stinken diet coke:
Coffee drinkers often are concerned that their delicious java is too much of a good thing that it must be bad for you. After all it tastes great and really peps you up so. Not so say researchers, it has been shown to coffee is generally safe with moderate consumption and that surprisingly, coffee is actually good for your health. Several studies have linked coffee with reduced risks of Parkinson’s disease, type 2 diabetes, gallstones, cancer, heart disease and osteoporosis.

Coffee beans contain anti-oxidants and other substances that provide these health benefits. Additionally these anti-oxidants can be found in either regular or decaf coffee.
Diabetes Coffee Benefits

The anti-oxidants found in coffee may help to regulate blood sugar. Recent research has found tat if a woman drinks about 3 cups of coffee a day, she can reduce her risk of type 2 diabetes by 20 to 30 percent. The coffee anti-oxidants that are believed to be responsible are chlorogenic acid and caffeic acid. Coffee is also thought to help promote the delivery of insulin to the tissues. When this happens efficiently the insulin resistance is less likely, which is a major risk factor for diabetes.
Gallstones Coffee Benefitsexcercise-coffee.jpg

Certain compounds in coffee appear to help prevent bile from crystallizing which causes gallstones.
Parkinson’s Disease Coffee Benefits

Caffeine may cut the risk of Parkinson’s disease by increasing the supplies of the brain chemical dopamine in men.
Heart Coffee Benefits

At least one large study has suggested that drinking one to two cups of coffee a day protects the heart. But increasing your intake to four to five cups of coffee in the morning contribute to elevated blood pressure and higher levels of stress hormones that endure into the evening.

Moderate to heavy caffeine intake will cause the body to react in a stressful manner. If you then add a real stressful activity or situation, the combination with the stress hormones from caffeine you then have a compounded effect. This increase in stress which may cause an increase level of blood pressure, even if just a slight amount, can be significant from a clinical perspective. This increase can me associated with an increase risk of a coronary disease or a stroke.

Unfiltered coffee will also increase the level of cholesterol which leads to heart disease. The use of a paper filter partially removes these substances. If you use a coffee press or a metallic filter you are at an increase risk than if you use a paper filter.

A study released in 2006 found that people with a genetic defect will process caffeine up to four times more slowly than those with a normal gene. This lead to an early conclusion that coffee can cause people heart problems but only if they have a genetic defect which may be the cause of previous studies which had conflicting results.

Caffeine caused blood vessels to constrict, which can trigger the blood pressure to increase. If caffeine remains in the body for a longer period of time, the greater potential for harm.
Coffee and Cancerroasted-coffee-beans.jpg

A comprehensive review published in 1997 by the American Institute of Cancer Research, in Washington and the World Cancer Research Fund in London found that coffee was not carcinogenic. The findings indicated that coffee may help to prevent cancer of the colon. The risk of colon cancer was lowered by 24% for those that drank four cups of coffee a day among people observed in various studies spanning several years. The analysis was comprised of 17 studies from 1960 to 1990 on colorectal cancer and coffee.

Japanese researcher reported in 2005 that people who drank coffee everyday over 10 years were half as likely to get liver cancer as those who didn’t drink it at all. It is not clear whether caffeine is the responsible for the reduction in cases.

Coffee is the leading source of antioxidants in the American diet. Antioxidants have been linked to various health benefits, including protection from cancer and heart disease. Fruits and vegetables are packed with more antioxidants and are a higher nutritional benefit than coffee but the problem is that most consumers are not eating enough of them. Experts say that drinking one to two cups of coffee a day does appear to provide a health boost because of these antioxidants.

Coffee does not appear to be responsible for cancer and may ever confer some protective benefit. And the more you drink, it seems, the lower your risk.
When is too much coffee bad for you?

There is research findings that have linked drinking three or more cups of coffee a day with increased heart risk. Coffee can raise the level of an amino acid, called homocysteine, which might harm the arteries. The caffeine in coffee may also raise blood pressure thought this has not been proven.

Drinking or eating a large amount of caffeine can also speed bone loss and might reduce birth weight and raise the risk of miscarriage. Women who are pregnant or trying to get pregnant are advised to not drink more than two cups of coffee a day. The same is also true for postmenopausal women to guard their bones.

Caffeine has also been known to precipitate heart burn, rapid heartbeat, and anxiety.

Caffeine is found in many types of food and beverages so a careful monitoring of your caffeine content being consumed is important. Coffee does have one of the highest doses of caffeine.
Antioxidants in Coffee

A recent Pennsylvania study found that coffee offers the number one source of antioxidants in the U.S. diet. The study researched tea, coffee, cocoa and other foods.

Because Americans drink so much coffee, they get more of their antioxidants from coffee than from any other dietary source,” says Joe Vinson, a professor of chemistry at The University of Scranton in Pennsylvania. “Nothing else comes close,” according to Vinson.

They concluded that the average adult consumes 1,299 mg antioxidants daily from coffee. The second largest source but at a distance was tea at 294 mg. The next highest source was bananas at 76 mg, dry beans at 72 mg and corn at 48 mg.

This does not mean that we should stop eating fruits and vegetable which have a much higher nutritional value due to their higher content of vitamins, minerals and fiber. The sad fact is that the American consumer does not eat enough of fruits and vegetables so coffee is the largest source of antioxidants.

While tea has been receiving popularity in health circles this study proves that coffee is far superior in antioxidants which are thought to help battle cancer and provide other health benefits.

...but, you won't get any of this from some stinken diet coke:
Coffee drinkers often are concerned that their delicious java is too much of a good thing that it must be bad for you. After all it tastes great and really peps you up so. Not so say researchers, it has been shown to coffee is generally safe with moderate consumption and that surprisingly, coffee is actually good for your health. Several studies have linked coffee with reduced risks of Parkinson’s disease, type 2 diabetes, gallstones, cancer, heart disease and osteoporosis.

Coffee beans contain anti-oxidants and other substances that provide these health benefits. Additionally these anti-oxidants can be found in either regular or decaf coffee.
Diabetes Coffee Benefits

The anti-oxidants found in coffee may help to regulate blood sugar. Recent research has found tat if a woman drinks about 3 cups of coffee a day, she can reduce her risk of type 2 diabetes by 20 to 30 percent. The coffee anti-oxidants that are believed to be responsible are chlorogenic acid and caffeic acid. Coffee is also thought to help promote the delivery of insulin to the tissues. When this happens efficiently the insulin resistance is less likely, which is a major risk factor for diabetes.
Gallstones Coffee Benefitsexcercise-coffee.jpg

Certain compounds in coffee appear to help prevent bile from crystallizing which causes gallstones.
Parkinson’s Disease Coffee Benefits

Caffeine may cut the risk of Parkinson’s disease by increasing the supplies of the brain chemical dopamine in men.
Heart Coffee Benefits

At least one large study has suggested that drinking one to two cups of coffee a day protects the heart. But increasing your intake to four to five cups of coffee in the morning contribute to elevated blood pressure and higher levels of stress hormones that endure into the evening.

Moderate to heavy caffeine intake will cause the body to react in a stressful manner. If you then add a real stressful activity or situation, the combination with the stress hormones from caffeine you then have a compounded effect. This increase in stress which may cause an increase level of blood pressure, even if just a slight amount, can be significant from a clinical perspective. This increase can me associated with an increase risk of a coronary disease or a stroke.

Unfiltered coffee will also increase the level of cholesterol which leads to heart disease. The use of a paper filter partially removes these substances. If you use a coffee press or a metallic filter you are at an increase risk than if you use a paper filter.

A study released in 2006 found that people with a genetic defect will process caffeine up to four times more slowly than those with a normal gene. This lead to an early conclusion that coffee can cause people heart problems but only if they have a genetic defect which may be the cause of previous studies which had conflicting results.

Caffeine caused blood vessels to constrict, which can trigger the blood pressure to increase. If caffeine remains in the body for a longer period of time, the greater potential for harm.
Coffee and Cancerroasted-coffee-beans.jpg

A comprehensive review published in 1997 by the American Institute of Cancer Research, in Washington and the World Cancer Research Fund in London found that coffee was not carcinogenic. The findings indicated that coffee may help to prevent cancer of the colon. The risk of colon cancer was lowered by 24% for those that drank four cups of coffee a day among people observed in various studies spanning several years. The analysis was comprised of 17 studies from 1960 to 1990 on colorectal cancer and coffee.

Japanese researcher reported in 2005 that people who drank coffee everyday over 10 years were half as likely to get liver cancer as those who didn’t drink it at all. It is not clear whether caffeine is the responsible for the reduction in cases.

Coffee is the leading source of antioxidants in the American diet. Antioxidants have been linked to various health benefits, including protection from cancer and heart disease. Fruits and vegetables are packed with more antioxidants and are a higher nutritional benefit than coffee but the problem is that most consumers are not eating enough of them. Experts say that drinking one to two cups of coffee a day does appear to provide a health boost because of these antioxidants.

Coffee does not appear to be responsible for cancer and may ever confer some protective benefit. And the more you drink, it seems, the lower your risk.
When is too much coffee bad for you?

There is research findings that have linked drinking three or more cups of coffee a day with increased heart risk. Coffee can raise the level of an amino acid, called homocysteine, which might harm the arteries. The caffeine in coffee may also raise blood pressure thought this has not been proven.

Drinking or eating a large amount of caffeine can also speed bone loss and might reduce birth weight and raise the risk of miscarriage. Women who are pregnant or trying to get pregnant are advised to not drink more than two cups of coffee a day. The same is also true for postmenopausal women to guard their bones.

Caffeine has also been known to precipitate heart burn, rapid heartbeat, and anxiety.

Caffeine is found in many types of food and beverages so a careful monitoring of your caffeine content being consumed is important. Coffee does have one of the highest doses of caffeine.
Antioxidants in Coffee

A recent Pennsylvania study found that coffee offers the number one source of antioxidants in the U.S. diet. The study researched tea, coffee, cocoa and other foods.

Because Americans drink so much coffee, they get more of their antioxidants from coffee than from any other dietary source,” says Joe Vinson, a professor of chemistry at The University of Scranton in Pennsylvania. “Nothing else comes close,” according to Vinson.

They concluded that the average adult consumes 1,299 mg antioxidants daily from coffee. The second largest source but at a distance was tea at 294 mg. The next highest source was bananas at 76 mg, dry beans at 72 mg and corn at 48 mg.

This does not mean that we should stop eating fruits and vegetable which have a much higher nutritional value due to their higher content of vitamins, minerals and fiber. The sad fact is that the American consumer does not eat enough of fruits and vegetables so coffee is the largest source of antioxidants.

While tea has been receiving popularity in health circles this study proves that coffee is far superior in antioxidants which are thought to help battle cancer and provide other health benefits.
Can you at the very least post a pic of your fav cup.

Just looked this up. twelve ounce MTD - 46 grams of sugar / coffee 0. Daily recommended allowance for men 36 grams. How many do you drink daily.
I actually drink diet Mountain Dew and I usually have two a day...one in the morning and one at lunch.

This is absolutely correct. MTD has a ton of sugar. I get my caffeine from Green Tea. I admit that I was a MTD drinker. Never really looked at label. About 15 years ago, I was bored enough to actually read the label and was floored to see how much sugar is in a bottle... and carbs. I swore off MTD on the spot. Been about 15 years since I've had any caffeine other than green tea and an occasional 5-hour energy.

Reactions: wbcincy
I generally don't have mine until I arrive at the school (I am a teacher). So, I have it in my classroom (my last few minutes of peace before the high schoolers arrive) while checking emails and listening to music.

Unless if we are working from home during this pandemic, then I take the time to make a cappuccino

In my home office...my cuisinart is set every night and is ready when I get up. Just bought a "Wolf" which should be delivered any day now so looking forward to that!

img66c.jpg

Now all you need is this for $400 and you're all set.

img81o.jpg
ha! I built a new home and the wolf/sub-zero distributor offered to throw the coffee maker in if I ordered them by March 31st. I'd never buy it and, in fact, it doesn't appear to do anything much different than any other coffee maker. But people spend 20x as much for socks just to get the logo that says Gucci or whatever.

ha! I built a new home and the wolf/sub-zero distributor offered to throw the coffee maker in if I ordered them by March 31st. I'd never buy it and, in fact, it doesn't appear to do anything much different than any other coffee maker. But people spend 20x as much for socks just to get the logo that says Gucci or whatever.
that reminds me that I got a "free" $3000+ Viking grill when I put Viking range, refrigerator, dishwasher, and small wine fridge in my kitchen in 2001/02. I'd never pay $3k for a grill, but it is still functioning and has never been covered in 18+ years.
Enjoy your very boujie coffeemaker :)

I’ve had a sip of coffee a few times in my life. Disgusting. I generally don’t drink much caffeine but I have been drinking one Diet Mountain Dew every day. Not sure why exactly.

I’ve had a sip of coffee a few times in my life. Disgusting. I generally don’t drink much caffeine but I have been drinking one Diet Mountain Dew every day. Not sure why exactly.
Dude, we both live in Lexington, drink Diet Mountain Dew, and are PSU fans. My brother from another mother.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT