ADVERTISEMENT

What do do on Saturdays after the Lions last game

I am working on a Masters Thesis that is due in 2 Tuesdays. I don't regret all of the Saturday's where I watched football this Fall- but will pay the price over the next 10 days.

I viewed UW vs Oregon last night by the fire w my dogs. Good thing that it was the only game I really wanted to see. Every time the announcers say "Penix" I instinctively wretch as if to throw up. The Dogs are my rooting interest in the Playoff.

Boycotting Alabama vs Georgia. UT vs OSU could be neat- Cowboys hoping to win one for the dead longhorn at FH house from post yesterday. That is unreal and pathetic. Don't care to watch either 8pm game. By that point I'll probably take in a Hallmark Christmas movie with my bride to be a team player.

Rise and shine. I'm diving into the world of effective and ineffective cell phone policies in schools! Like The Soup Nazi would say: "No football for you (me)!"

Get out and enjoy a nice walk. I will walk 4 miles as I do every Saturday morning with a friend to downtown Mt Dora for coffee and a scone. I am 79. I have walked at least 30,000 miles in my life. You will never be followed by an undertaker. We are.
Mary I love your spunk. I fret over being 61 1/2. You motivated me to get out of the house and do something. Thanks

I am working on a Masters Thesis that is due in 2 Tuesdays. I don't regret all of the Saturday's where I watched football this Fall- but will pay the price over the next 10 days.

I viewed UW vs Oregon last night by the fire w my dogs. Good thing that it was the only game I really wanted to see. Every time the announcers say "Penix" I instinctively wretch as if to throw up. The Dogs are my rooting interest in the Playoff.

Boycotting Alabama vs Georgia. UT vs OSU could be neat- Cowboys hoping to win one for the dead longhorn at FH house from post yesterday. That is unreal and pathetic. Don't care to watch either 8pm game. By that point I'll probably take in a Hallmark Christmas movie with my bride to be a team player.

Rise and shine. I'm diving into the world of effective and ineffective cell phone policies in schools! Like The Soup Nazi would say: "No football for you (me)!"
I’ll give you some help with your thesis, the only effective cell phone policy is one where they can’t use it.

Get out and enjoy a nice walk. I will walk 4 miles as I do every Saturday morning with a friend to downtown Mt Dora for coffee and a scone. I am 79. I have walked at least 30,000 miles in my life. You will never be followed by an undertaker. We are.
Magical Meats scones?

Reactions: brupsu

Washington looked really strong last night. Amazing we played both of those quarterbacks, Penix and Nix. Penix is in his sixth year. Both Nix and Penix are 23. Washington, I think I heard, has 13 sixth-year seniors!

Allar is 19.

Last edited:
I’ll give you some help with your thesis, the only effective cell phone policy is one where they can’t use it.
That's pretty much the outcome. There aren't a ton of post Covid studies out there yet- but the data is pretty clear.

A negative is that what has been done shows that teachers with 15+ years of experience- and therefore weren't "trained" in college to embrace each and every new technology into the classroom- are resistant to change and therefore subject to criticism. Count me in that group.

One study out of Seattle high schools- albeit from an anti cell advocacy group- found that 97% of high schoolers who go onto their phone in school got to either Social Media, Games or You Tube Videos. I confirmed that number with mt kids aging grades9-12 and they agreed- although many scoffed at You Tube. This is a "no duh" finding but also shows the phone is not a tool- at least yet.

Between vapes and phones education worldwide is being pressed. The most effective policies appear to be old school/draconian measures with consistent enforcement and real teeth punishments. As we both know- postCovid all of that sort of stuff has been disbanded due to focus on Social/Emotional Well being. What we are raising are a generation of many stoned in class idiots who don't know how to learn and immediately distract themselves at their earliest opportunity.

That same Seattle study found 90% of Principals supportive of bans and 80% of that same group says phones negatively impact learning.

Any fool knows that- so why is it even a discussion? Parental pressures and Administrations not having the Fortitude to do what is necessary to truly effect change.

My conclusion will be very stark as our Middle School has an in bag policy with seen phones confiscated and taken to the office. Our high school leaves it to teacher discretion to avoid the hassles and pass the buck.

This seems illogical....because it is. No putting lipstick on that pig...and I will be saying so- with "data" that they cannot refute.

We'll see if anything changes.....

That's pretty much the outcome. There aren't a ton of post Covid studies out there yet- but the data is pretty clear.

A negative is that what has been done shows that teachers with 15+ years of experience- and therefore weren't "trained" in college to embrace each and every new technology into the classroom- are resistant to change and therefore subject to criticism. Count me in that group.

One study out of Seattle high schools- albeit from an anti cell advocacy group- found that 97% of high schoolers who go onto their phone in school got to either Social Media, Games or You Tube Videos. I confirmed that number with mt kids aging grades9-12 and they agreed- although many scoffed at You Tube. This is a "no duh" finding but also shows the phone is not a tool- at least yet.

Between vapes and phones education worldwide is being pressed. The most effective policies appear to be old school/draconian measures with consistent enforcement and real teeth punishments. As we both know- postCovid all of that sort of stuff has been disbanded due to focus on Social/Emotional Well being. What we are raising are a generation of many stoned in class idiots who don't know how to learn and immediately distract themselves at their earliest opportunity.

That same Seattle study found 90% of Principals supportive of bans and 80% of that same group says phones negatively impact learning.

Any fool knows that- so why is it even a discussion? Parental pressures and Administrations not having the Fortitude to do what is necessary to truly effect change.

My conclusion will be very stark as our Middle School has an in bag policy with seen phones confiscated and taken to the office. Our high school leaves it to teacher discretion to avoid the hassles and pass the buck.

This seems illogical....because it is. No putting lipstick on that pig...and I will be saying so- with "data" that they cannot refute.

I wish you luck and hope your work results in some positive changes!

I now have to repay my wife for all the Saturdays I couldn’t do anything with her because I was watching PSU. I hate shopping, but that’s what I’ll be doing from now until next season.

same in MD. Too many parents who call their kids in the middle of class who complain to the principal and above to let their kids keep their phones.

Plus too many kids that think the way to success in life is being a tik tok star, cant get views if you dont make content.

I feel bad for the good kids who will have to do all of the work of society for this generation. Lots of people who can do NOTHING, and it just keeps getting worse based on who they vote in to keep it that way.

• Sad
Reactions: The Spin Meister
Depends on the game time.Always have something to do.Walk my dogs or work on the house.also just have a football day and keep watching which happens more often than not.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
I have been deer and turkey hunting every Saturday since the OSU game. My wife doesn't get mad cause she loves deer jerkey.

After the holidays, I'll start tying flies to get ready for trout season. Along with getting some projects done around the house. Sprinkle in some Pens hockey. Weather permitting, I will finish knocking down and cutting up the cherry trees in my yard. Hopefully make it back up to camp to finish some trim work.

Washington looked really strong last night. Amazing we played both of those quarterbacks, Penix and Nix. Penix is in his sixth year. Both Nix and Penix are 23. Washington, I think I heard, has 13 sixth-year seniors!

Allar is 19.
PSU lost to Indy and Penix on that last second TD that was very controversial. The next year, PSU beat Indy 24-0. Penix got hurt and was 10 for 22 with an INT. That same season, PSU play a Beau Nix led Auburn team. Nix went 21 of 37 for 185 yards in a 28-20 loss that wasn't that close.

Funny we played, and beat, both of these Heisman hopefuls in the same year and both are now 23 years old.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT