ADVERTISEMENT

When does practice officially start?

So how long do you think it will take the new guys at the lower weights to be beating Nico in the room?

it appears that other teams have started? I ask this after watching the Flo coverage of Rutgers. Appears coach is in the room and holding a practice. Am I viewing this incorrectly? Lot's of NS video and discussion of his setback and NCAAs last year.

I think coaches get X amount of hours right now, but not "official" practice. At least that's how my roommate explained it back in the day. That, or there's an outsider coming in to "coach".

Reactions: a_mshaffer
17.02.13 Practice Units. In determining the first permissible preseason practice date, an institution shall count back from its first scheduled contest, one unit for each day beginning with the opening of classes, one unit for each day classes are not in session in the week of the first scheduled intercollegiate contest and two units for each other day in the preseason practice period, except that the institution shall not count any units during the preseason when all institutional dormitories are closed, the institution's team must leave campus, and practice is not conducted. (Adopted: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91, Revised: 1/10/92, 4/14/03)

17.02.13.1 Sunday. Sundays are excluded from the counting. (Adopted: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91)

17.02.13.2 Week. The "week" of the first scheduled intercollegiate contest is defined as the six days, excluding Sunday, preceding the date of competition (even if one or more of the days fall into different traditional calendar weeks). (Adopted: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91)

17.02.13.3 Opening Day of Classes. The "opening day of classes" is defined as the first day of classes as listed in the member institution's official catalog. Required freshman orientation is not considered to be the opening day of classes for the academic year. (Adopted: 1/10/91 effective 8/1/91)

17.02.13.4 First Day of Practice. The first day of practice may be conducted on the day when the last practice unit occurs, which is determined by counting backward from the day of the first permissible regularly scheduled contest. For example, in soccer, practice may be held on the day that the 21st practice unit actually occurs, counting backward from the day of the first permissible regularly scheduled contest. (Adopted: 12/10/97, Revised: 4/14/03, 3/16/15)

Two other NCAA sources I've looked at seem to indicate October 10th as the first possible official practice date and Nov. 1st as the first possible competition date. See page 245 of this document (below):

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/attachments1/files/11600/628372.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=11600

You get the same result for practices if you plug the relevant information: when classes start (Aug. 20 for PSU) and when the first competition occurs (Nov. 11 for PSU):

https://web1.ncaa.org/compliance/exec/startdate

Tikk, can you help me out and tell me what the hell dmm53 said in post 8? o_Oo_O

From my fading memory of physiological, biological and topographical anatomy...….I believe he stated that the angle of the dangle is directly proportional to the heat of the meat but inversely proportional to the mass of the a$$ divided by the square root of the balls to the walls. …Easy.......Like...…"DUH"

He's not quoting the relevant part of the manual. Per page 325 in the PDF, 313 in the paper copy, Bylaw 17.27.2 (Bylaw 17.27 is the bylaw specific to wrestling):

17.27.2 Preseason Practice. A member institution shall not commence practice sessions in wrestling prior to October 10. (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D119.pdf

Reactions: jtothemfp
it appears that other teams have started? I ask this after watching the Flo coverage of Rutgers. Appears coach is in the room and holding a practice. Am I viewing this incorrectly? Lot's of NS video and discussion of his setback and NCAAs last year.
It probably has to do with mandatory versus non-mandatory practices.

He's not quoting the relevant part of the manual. Per page 325 in the PDF, 313 in the paper copy, Bylaw 17.27.2 (Bylaw 17.27 is the bylaw specific to wrestling):

17.27.2 Preseason Practice. A member institution shall not commence practice sessions in wrestling prior to October 10. (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D119.pdf

This is correct. If you look at Figure 17-2, you'll see that the "Practice Unit" formulation (which might be the densest, most poorly drafted law I've ever blankly stared at) only applies to certain sports, all Fall sports from what I can tell, which would make sense since the byzantine formula is pegged in part to the first date of classes, which isn't applicable for Winter sports. Figure 17-2 provides the first practice date for all NCAA sports and simply states October 10 for wrestling.

I heard a rumor that tikk wrote the script for this scene

Sorry, tikk I know you are not that old.
No that old, no, but still familiar. One of my favorite law scene in fact. Lots of wisdom there.

This might be my favorite law on film scene though. You could teach an entire Negotiations course off it:

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
-- Countable practices start October 10.
-- 20 hrs per week, no more than 4 hrs per day
-- A record is kept for each student-athlete
-- Generally, one day per week must be practice-free (countable)
-- Student-athletes may practice on their own (not countable)...coach not present
-- Before Oct. 10, but after the first day of school, 8 hrs/week allowed; weight training, conditioning, plus skill-related instruction, with no more than 2 hours/week of the 8 being skill-related instruction

What was the coach having them practice, left jabs or right hooks?

Reactions: Ski and a_mshaffer
Tikk, thank you. However I've traveled from Western Pa to the big City (Chelsea) to hear it first hand. If you venture off your island to this island I'll buy you a libation.

My favorite Groucho line which I use all the time is "I'll see my lawyer about this as soon as he graduates from law school".

Reactions: tikk10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT