ADVERTISEMENT

When does Hack play?

I like Hack, and I want him to succeed so bad it hurts. But he hasn't done himself any favors. Granted, the play calling, his teammates on offense, and some home cookin' by the refs haven't helped, but he just hasn't been getting the job done.
Matched with probably worst coach for his development in Singletary. Not an excuse just a fact.

Matched with probably worst coach for his development in Singletary. Not an excuse just a fact.
There isn't any chance in hell that Singletary has anything to do with Hack.....other than possibly making the decision to bench him. Christian has been with the Jets, Oakland and Philadelphia. He has employed numerous private coaches and "gurus." I think its time for everyone to hope for him to finally "turn the corner." If it doesn't happen, its definitely not the fault of "coaches."

Last edited:
I thought Hack actually looked better once they started moving the offense around more in the 2nd half. Then he was a victim of 3 drops and a TD called back due to penalty.

Reactions: BBrown
I thought Hack actually looked better once they started moving the offense around more in the 2nd half. Then he was a victim of 3 drops and a TD called back due to penalty.
This. And as 23 says MIKE Singletary has zero to do w his on field performance

The called back TD was the result of a gadget play that left him with zero rush and a wide open receiver. He’s not going to get that a lot at any level.

THERE we go. Never his fault.
I think its fair to say that every QB is a "victim" of some drops and penalties. I'll be anxious to see how Christian plays the rest of the way. One thing should be agreed upon.....success or failure......he has to own it at this point.

Reactions: Mixolydian
I didn't see a lot of NFL ready players there, I thought it was hard to watch

I think it’s time for Hack to look to life after football. Loved him at Penn St, but he don’t have it.

Jeez sunshine, let's have some positivity in here.

He's only 23 and hasn't had any meaningful playing time in over 2 years. I think this is a great opportunity for him to get some game time reps under his belt and maybe get better as a QB.

Reactions: sluggo72
Jeez sunshine, let's have some positivity in here.

He's only 23 and hasn't had any meaningful playing time in over 2 years. I think this is a great opportunity for him to get some game time reps under his belt and maybe get better as a QB.

Chuck Noll would be talking to him about getting on with his life's work. He'd be pulled at a coed intramural flag football game.

He's a good looking kid with probably a couple million in the bank. Go back and finish your degree and get started in business somewhere.

Hack must be the unluckiest guy in the world. Every team he's ever been on has a horrible OL, receivers that can't catch or get separation, and a clueless coaching staff that hamper his development. After all, he was a 5* recruit who "saved" the program! Can't be his fault....

Reactions: scbob and Ezcheez
Chuck Noll would be talking to him about getting on with his life's work. He'd be pulled at a coed intramural flag football game.

He's a good looking kid with probably a couple million in the bank. Go back and finish your degree and get started in business somewhere.
I dont think you should be putting words in Chuck Noll's mouth. After all 4 yrs into Terry Bradshaw's career he benched him for Joe Gilliam!!
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/remember-when-joe-gilliam-takes-terry-bradshaws-starting-qb-job/
I dont understand the hate some people have for Hack and seem to enjoy in his 'failures' Lets face it, Hack succeeding in football can only help PSU in the future.

I dont think you should be putting words in Chuck Noll's mouth. After all 4 yrs into Terry Bradshaw's career he benched him for Joe Gilliam!!
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/remember-when-joe-gilliam-takes-terry-bradshaws-starting-qb-job/
I dont understand the hate some people have for Hack and seem to enjoy in his 'failures' Lets face it, Hack succeeding in football can only help PSU in the future.

I don’t think people have hate for Hackenberg. I think some people see him for what he is and get frustrated with others coming up with a range of excuses for why he isn’t successful.

I don’t think people have hate for Hackenberg. I think some people see him for what he is and get frustrated with others coming up with a range of excuses for why he isn’t successful.
well I disagree, imo there are several posters on here that hate Hack, and love watching him 'fail'.

well I disagree, imo there are several posters on here that hate Hack, and love watching him 'fail'.

It’s possible I suppose. If that is the case I think it’s more directed at his supporters who continue to blame everybody/everything else (coaches, receivers, scheme, o-line) being wrong instead of Hackenberg failing.

There isn't any chance in hell that Singletary has anything to do with Hack.....other than possibly making the decision to bench him. Christian has been with the Jets, Oakland and Philadelphia. He has employed numerous private coaches and "gurus." I think its time for everyone to hope for him to finally "turn the corner." If it doesn't happen, its definitely not the fault of "coaches."

Didnt say it was, but Iron Mike the last guy one would pick to resurrect a QB career. Not blaming coaches (besides known QB Killa Donovan) for Hack issues. Just that Iron Mike would be the last guy to fix it.

It’s possible I suppose. If that is the case I think it’s more directed at his supporters who continue to blame everybody/everything else (coaches, receivers, scheme, o-line) being wrong instead of Hackenberg failing.
but OTOH did you see his receivers drops last night? did you see the penalty that took back a 50 yd TD throw? Did you see what they called a mirage for an OL? Lets face it, when Hack was here nobody was confusing this bunch with the '82 OL, second string!
O Line Starts

LT LG C RG RT

Palmer 11 Dowrey 5 Mangiro 8 Gaia 13 Mahon 7

Nelson 2 Mahon 4 Laurent 5 Nelson 6

Mangiro 4

Dowrey 5 5 LG

Gaia 13 13 RG

Laurent 5 5 C

Mahon 11 7 RT

Mahon 4 LG

Mangiro12 8 C

Mangiro 4 LG

Nelson 8 6 RT

Nelson 2 LT

Palmer 11 11 LT

but OTOH did you see his receivers drops last night? did you see the penalty that took back a 50 yd TD throw? Did you see what they called a mirage for an OL? Lets face it, when Hack was here nobody was confusing this bunch with the '82 OL, second string!
O Line Starts

LT LG C RG RT

Palmer 11 Dowrey 5 Mangiro 8 Gaia 13 Mahon 7

Nelson 2 Mahon 4 Laurent 5 Nelson 6

Mangiro 4

Dowrey 5 5 LG

Gaia 13 13 RG

Laurent 5 5 C

Mahon 11 7 RT

Mahon 4 LG

Mangiro12 8 C

Mangiro 4 LG

Nelson 8 6 RT

Nelson 2 LT

Palmer 11 11 LT

I did not see the game last night (nor will I see any of those games. No interest).
Honestly, I’ve heard about a poor o-line being used as a reason for his sub-par numbers since he was in high school. He played behind a bad o-line for sure his last two seasons at Penn State, but he just wasn’t that good beyond the line. Couldn’t seem to sense pressure, couldn’t get away from it when he did, inaccurate short, not overly accurate deep, did not see the field well, strong arm, took a hit well. That pretty much sums up what I saw from him for three years.
I don’t know the man. Seems like a good guy. I hope great things for him. If you asked me when he was coming out of Penn State how I felt about him being able to be successful in the NFL I would have said that I’d be surprised if he was. If you ask me now I’d say that I would be stunned if he turned into a successful NFL QB.

I did not see the game last night (nor will I see any of those games. No interest).
Honestly, I’ve heard about a poor o-line being used as a reason for his sub-par numbers since he was in high school. He played behind a bad o-line for sure his last two seasons at Penn State, but he just wasn’t that good beyond the line. Couldn’t seem to sense pressure, couldn’t get away from it when he did, inaccurate short, not overly accurate deep, did not see the field well, strong arm, took a hit well. That pretty much sums up what I saw from him for three years.
I don’t know the man. Seems like a good guy. I hope great things for him. If you asked me when he was coming out of Penn State how I felt about him being able to be successful in the NFL I would have said that I’d be surprised if he was. If you ask me now I’d say that I would be stunned if he turned into a successful NFL QB.
I think the league is worth watching. The rest I've heard before, so nothing new there.

Reactions: jim cummings
I think the league is worth watching. The rest I've heard before, so nothing new there.
What channel are the games even on? I would probably watch a bit if I stumbled upon it but honestly, I’m footballed out at this point.

What channel are the games even on? I would probably watch a bit if I stumbled upon it but honestly, I’m footballed out at this point.
it was on the main CBS on Saturday night. On Sunday they were on CBS Sports and then on the NFL channel at 8 pm.
Generally the league is getting pretty good reviews. Many seem to love the replay process, in that they show the replay official and you can listen into their conversations back and forth. For example in Hacks game the other team hit a long pass, Memphis challenged, it was clear the ball was on the ground, you could see it on TV, as well as the stadium monitor. Replay upheld the call, and you could hear the frustration in the guys voice, saying he doesnt have that view etc, while other guys are telling him the ball is on the ground ('but I dont have that view etc) Kind of unique

it was on the main CBS on Saturday night. On Sunday they were on CBS Sports and then on the NFL channel at 8 pm.
Generally the league is getting pretty good reviews. Many seem to love the replay process, in that they show the replay official and you can listen into their conversations back and forth. For example in Hacks game the other team hit a long pass, Memphis challenged, it was clear the ball was on the ground, you could see it on TV, as well as the stadium monitor. Replay upheld the call, and you could hear the frustration in the guys voice, saying he doesnt have that view etc, while other guys are telling him the ball is on the ground ('but I dont have that view etc) Kind of unique

That sounds entertaining at least. I’ll check it out if I come across it. Pretty sure I don’t get CBS Sports and I rarely watch the NFL channel so I might see it on CBS.

That sounds entertaining at least. I’ll check it out if I come across it. Pretty sure I don’t get CBS Sports and I rarely watch the NFL channel so I might see it on CBS.
AAF off to a solid start
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 10, 2019, 5:34 AM EST
ap_19041171454240-e1549794828658.jpg

AP

The Alliance of American Football is underway, and the early verdict is this: It’s pretty good.

The football was fun and fast-paced, they’re trying some new innovations like transparency on instant replay that might translate well to the NFL, the TV production was well done, the fans sounded like they thought they were getting their money’s worth, and, most importantly, it’s football at a time of year when we otherwise wouldn’t have any to watch.

The quality of play is comparable to the second halves of preseason games, with players who look like they’re about good enough to be on NFL practice squads. That might sound like a product you wouldn’t want to watch, but the players on NFL practice squads are better than most college football players, and tens of millions of fans watch college football every autumn Saturday.

The difference, of course, is that college football has a long history and tradition that makes those tens of millions of fans feel connected to it. The AAF doesn’t have that. But the fans in the two home stadiums, San Antonio and Orlando, seemed to be into it. The AAF will obviously have to grow its fan base, but the fans it has now seem enthusiastic.

Both home teams won the two premiere games on Saturday night, with the Orlando Apollos beating the Atlanta Legends 40-6 and the San Antonio Commanders beating the San Diego Fleet 15-6. Neither game was particularly close or competitive, and in both games we saw breakdowns on the offensive line and with quarterback-receiver communications that led to some shoddy offense. Fans like high-scoring and close games, and neither of the first two AAF games were that.

Still, this was a solid start. Saturday night won’t be the last time I watch the AAF.
www.profootballtalk.com

Your boy can't throw a football accurately. Not sure there are any lower levels of football for him to go to demonstrate this to you. It's been clearly evident for a long time, including the majority of his time at Penn State. But we had a dedicated group of posters who pointed the finger at everyone and everything else, the line, the OC, the head coach. HE CAN'T F#CKING THROW. HE IS A DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS IN THE POCKET. HE'S NOT A LEADER. All of you were wrong and should feel bad.

Your boy can't throw a football accurately. Not sure there are any lower levels of football for him to go to demonstrate this to you. It's been clearly evident for a long time, including the majority of his time at Penn State. But we had a dedicated group of posters who pointed the finger at everyone and everything else, the line, the OC, the head coach. HE CAN'T F#CKING THROW. HE IS A DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS IN THE POCKET. HE'S NOT A LEADER. All of you were wrong and should feel bad.
yes I noticed that on this throw....

no wait..... I still dont understand the hate, especially yours.

Reactions: IIVI and JJTopp99
Didnt say it was, but Iron Mike the last guy one would pick to resurrect a QB career. Not blaming coaches (besides known QB Killa Donovan) for Hack issues. Just that Iron Mike would be the last guy to fix it.
MS is the head coach. He's not working with Hack at all.

so you show a clip from 7 football seasons ago, and I show one that is not 24 hrs old. Got it. Good thing true college Frosh never improve and get better though.
It still doesnt explain the hate.

The problem is he did not improve. The clip was from his BEST year with St Bill. The reality is Hack was not that great with Obrien. He had plenty of flaws.

The problem is he did not improve. The clip was from his BEST year with St Bill. The reality is Hack was not that great with Obrien. He had plenty of flaws.
most likely because Hack's best football is in front of him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT