ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite franchise restaurant ?

Hale & Hearty Soups
Flemings
Cheesecake Factory
Houstons

Cheesecake Factory is a good one. They probably have the most extensive menu among chain restaurants. Of course, you have to save room for cheesecake. Their Oreo Cheesecake is one of my favorites.

Shake Shack is better than In N Out.

In N Out has little meat and an over abundance of lettuce and onions. No thanks

In N Out is highly overrated imo, tried it about a year ago for the first time, nothing special, Five Guys is better than In N Out. Hardee's/Carl's is the best place for fast food burgers

Applebee's and TGI Friday's...nothing is good but it has a wide variety of menu items. The only restaurants I don't have at least one of my kids bitch there's nothing I like on the menu.
Applebees in my area is terrible.

There's a couple of levels of chains to me. There's your fast food types. For those, I like Tim Hortons, Steak n Shake, Culvers, and Rasing Canes (not sure any of those are in PA, though). For casual dining, I think O'Charlies is pretty good. Their beef is a bit better than places like Applebees or even Outback. I don't get to the fancy chains much, but went to a McCormak and Shmicks in Indy last year that was pretty good. We have some local chains like the Mitchell's empire in Columbus--and City Barbeque. And I miss G.D. Ritzy's--which supposedly is making a comeback. Mrs KG likes me to take her to Red Lobster for their pina coladas and lobster pizza on a Friday. I also like IHOP for their Swedish pancakes--but the ones around here have iffy service. I'll also put in a nod for IKEA's cafe. Good, inexpensive food. And free coffee if you are an "IKEA Family" member.

Oh, and how I miss Howard Johnson's and their all you can eat fried clams on Fridays. Best fried clams ever and I haven't found any even close since they've closed.

Woodmans, the Clam Box, and Farnham's say otherwise....

Mind you, I'm descended from folks from Essex and Ipswich, so I'm rather biased.... But HoJos never served full belly clams--which have the best flavor.

And Farnhams is mentioned in one of the Spenser books, so there's that.
54eaba36d5579de9bb2323c545a96268_featured_v2.jpg

I love a good hibachi restaurant, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. Also, Max and Erma's has a chicken sandwich that is one of the best that I have ever tasted.

Reactions: boddyebsen
Overall, I tend to favor the uniqueness of a single restaurant. But sometimes, you got to go franchise. I tend to enjoy Bravo and Capital Grille. I saw LeBron dumped his big McD's endorsement to invest in Blaze Pizza. I haven't been there. Anyone got a review on Blaze ?
http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...-for-—-heres-the-verdict/ar-BBEj8XB?li=BBnb7Kz
Chick-fil-a. Hate their politics, love their food, service, and accuracy. There is not one pizza franchise or Mexican franchise, I would recommend.

I try my best not to eat at chain places when traveling, as I want to try some local cuisine. The reality is that in my home turf, some chains are better than local options. I like Five guys, Jimmy Johns, Chipotle, PF Changs, Panera, and Chic Fila. I think you can get a decent steak at most of the mid level priced chain steak places, but Ruth Chris, Mortons, Sullivan's, etc are evidence that sometimes you get what you pay for.

Very glad to see there's someone else out there who tries to avoid chains when travelling--I do the same.

Also, shoutout to Fogo de Chao in Center City Philadelphia--love the place.

Reactions: EPC FAN
Frank Pepes has done an amazing job of recreating their original New Haven pizza oven and product at their other locations. They get everything for each location from the same suppliers that they use at New Haven. Pizza at each is as good as it is in the original location, which is to say the best there is.

Applebees in my area is terrible.

There's a couple of levels of chains to me. There's your fast food types. For those, I like Tim Hortons, Steak n Shake, Culvers, and Rasing Canes (not sure any of those are in PA, though). For casual dining, I think O'Charlies is pretty good. Their beef is a bit better than places like Applebees or even Outback. I don't get to the fancy chains much, but went to a McCormak and Shmicks in Indy last year that was pretty good. We have some local chains like the Mitchell's empire in Columbus--and City Barbeque. And I miss G.D. Ritzy's--which supposedly is making a comeback. Mrs KG likes me to take her to Red Lobster for their pina coladas and lobster pizza on a Friday. I also like IHOP for their Swedish pancakes--but the ones around here have iffy service. I'll also put in a nod for IKEA's cafe. Good, inexpensive food. And free coffee if you are an "IKEA Family" member.

You live in Columbus and not a "Max & Erma's" fan.... when i lived in Ohio, I used to love their "Garbage Burger"...

Frank Pepes has done an amazing job of recreating their original New Haven pizza oven and product at their other locations. They get everything for each location from the same suppliers that they use at New Haven. Pizza at each is as good as it is in the original location, which is to say the best there is.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner... Frank Pepe's White Clam Pizza is usually ranked by many publications as a Top 10 Pizza in the country...

http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/best-pizza-places-us/20

Reactions: Sullivan

I've had Blaze. Even though there is a large selection, I found the toppings rather mundane and low quality. The dough was so so. They use gas ovens to cook. I get the appeal of it, but I didn't consider it a treat. They are fast for a custom pizza. Personally I think there are much better options.

You live in Columbus and not a "Max & Erma's" fan.... when i lived in Ohio, I used to love their "Garbage Burger"...
recently Max & Erma's have fallen on hard times, they seem to be either have or are about to file for bankruptcy. It seems their food quality has gone down.

When I moved out to Ohio, they were big. Much like Winston's in downtown Philly (which likely is gone by now). They used to have a office building on I-71 with a giant hamburger coming out the side. But they have fallen on hard times and many of their locations, including the one by my house, are gone now. Still ok, when you can find one, but not my first choice anymore. They also, as I recall, were taken over by out of town interests.

You'll also note that I didn't say much about two other Central Ohio fast food icons: Wendy's and White Castle. I eat at the former and very occasionally at the latter--but they aren't big on my list of "best places"--nor do I hate them.

Chick-fil-a. Hate their politics, love their food, service, and accuracy. There is not one pizza franchise or Mexican franchise, I would recommend.
I don't buy food on the basis of their politics. Otherwise I'd not go to Ted's Montana Grill--but I love bison and I like how they do it. I agree with your note about Chick-fil-a regarding their service. A huge cut above almost any other fast food place--and a lot of standard restaurants.

Reactions: MtNittany
Tilted Kilt and Twin Peaks.
I think they have food at these places.

Five Guys is my favorite that you can find in just about any bigger city. My favorite multi-city restaurant is Devon's Seafood Grille. I stop by the Hershey location whenever I'm in the area. Awesome fresh catch selections.

Had to edit this post and add Chik Fil A. Don't have one in my area, but when I can, I have to get some nuggets and a spicy sandwich. Good stuff. Also love the breakfast chicken biscuit with egg.

Who remembers the Big V on Allen Street in State College in around 1967. It predated McDonalds. Great hamburgers. First fast food place I ever visited.

Who remembers the Big V on Allen Street in State College in around 1967. It predated McDonalds. Great hamburgers. First fast food place I ever visited.
I don't, but I remember the V.I.P. well. Village Inn Pizza was actually a small chain. The one in S.C. was thankfully a smokey dive bar.

I generally despise chain restaurants... but Red Robin does actually make some good burgers.. fries are good too! Surprised no one else mentioned this

Steak: Ruth Chris
Italian: Carrabba's
Pizza (takeout): Domino's
Pizza (dine-in): not many national type choices, but UNO's is pretty good.
Subs: Jersey Mike's
BBQ: Smokey Bones
Hamburger: 5 Guys
Chicken: KFC
Fish: Long John Silvers
General: Arby's
Acceptable: Applebee's, TGI Friday's, Ruby Tuesday

Last edited:
Woodmans, the Clam Box, and Farnham's say otherwise....

Mind you, I'm descended from folks from Essex and Ipswich, so I'm rather biased.... But HoJos never served full belly clams--which have the best flavor.

And Farnhams is mentioned in one of the Spenser books, so there's that.
54eaba36d5579de9bb2323c545a96268_featured_v2.jpg
I guess I forgot to add IMO. Either way, I like full belly clams and just had some really good ones in a small place I found in Rhode Island. However, HoJo's thick sliced, tender, deep sea clams were the best fried clams I've ever eaten. There are thousands of people on a forum that agree with me. (google HoJo clams forum)

Chick Fil A, Five Guys (that is a 'once a year' type place for me...), Bonchon, and Jersey Mike's if you're not anywhere north of Virginia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT