ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite franchise restaurant ?

Braums and Buc-ees (although Bucees isn't a franchise)

Braum%27s_current_logo.png

Official_logo_for_Buc-ee%27s%2C_Ltd.jpg

Last edited:
I'd have to go with Five Guys.

I'm curious to get everyone's opinion on Mission BBQ. I just went to the Harrisburg location last week and came away decidedly mixed.

Smoked turkey was delightful; "juicy" brisket wasn't very juicy or flavorful. It reminded me more of roast beef than brisket. Mac & cheese was a winner though.

I'd have to go with Five Guys.

I'm curious to get everyone's opinion on Mission BBQ. I just went to the Harrisburg location last week and came away decidedly mixed.

Smoked turkey was delightful; "juicy" brisket wasn't very juicy or flavorful. It reminded me more of roast beef than brisket. Mac & cheese was a winner though.
Dickey's out on Rt 30 in Lancaster by the outlets is pretty good.

Reactions: Sullivan
Sorry, but Dickey's is a piss poor excuse for barbecue.

The one in State College is so disgusting that I'll never consider eating at another location.

Assuming it's the same franchise, there's one near where I used to work here in Colorado. Tried it one day for luch, and it was awful. I left wondering how they stay in business.

And while I appreciate good food, I rate things relative to what they're supposed to be. Dickey's was aweful for chain BBQ.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
My wife is very enamored of Panera and goes there frequently if she has a lunch hour free. I am no fan of Red Lobster, Olive G., or the like. Same with breakfast places. I'd rather get a heat-rack grease bomb from Sheetz than go to an Eat-n-Park or some such.

Overall, I tend to favor the uniqueness of a single restaurant. But sometimes, you got to go franchise. I tend to enjoy Bravo and Capital Grille. I saw LeBron dumped his big McD's endorsement to invest in Blaze Pizza. I haven't been there. Anyone got a review on Blaze ?
http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...-for-—-heres-the-verdict/ar-BBEj8XB?li=BBnb7Kz

It's a tie between Fuzzy Tacos and Old Chicago Pizza. OCP is a bit pricey at the tap but they offer loyalty points and are generous with coupon offerings.

Sorry, but Dickey's is a piss poor excuse for barbecue.

The one in State College is so disgusting that I'll never consider eating at another location.
I was trying to stay in the franchise vein, and my experience was okay. I went with the smoked turkey both times. Joboys owned by a retired Airman in Lititz, is my go to in this area for BBQ.Also a brew pub. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
Two already mentioned, Five Guys and Panera. Also Chipotle. I used to like Outback, but they've tanked over the past 10 years.

OP mentioned Capitol Grill - would that really fit the question? But that reminded me - I haven't been to one in about three years, but I love Mortons. The Ribeye, wild mushrooms, and any Cab on the menu - Amazing.

Reactions: BBrown
Dick's Last Resort. It feels like being on this board as the staff insults everyone. Reminds me of someone here. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2atpsu
Two already mentioned, Five Guys and Panera. Also Chipotle. I used to like Outback, but they've tanked over the past 10 years.

OP mentioned Capitol Grill - would that really fit the question? But that reminded me - I haven't been to one in about three years, but I love Mortons. The Ribeye, wild mushrooms, and any Cab on the menu - Amazing.
Fish, CG is a franchise, upscale but a franchise. Panera is all about the bread. Chipotle doesn't seem to have recovered their mojo after the food poisoning scare. Those damn burritos tank in at over 1000 cals. I guess when it tastes pretty good, there are cals involved.

I was trying to stay in the franchise vein, and my experience was okay. Joboys owned by a retired Airman in Lititz, is my go to in this area for BBQ.Also a brew pub. :D

My "go-to" is Curt's Smokin' Ribs in Mill Hall. Best brisket I've ever had anywhere.

Reactions: Nittany18 and cment
I believe I saw their sign on 80 yesterday. They were probably there five years or something, but I don't pay much attention and don't go that direction very often. Must try it out.

Yep--they have a location in Lamar but it operates as a "satellite".

The smoking is done at the Mill Hall location--Curt's has awesome pizza too. It's basically a take-out place in Mill Hall; there are 3-4 tables but that's it. Regardless, well worth it for the brisket alone.

Ribs are also great and they have house-made sauces for all of it.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Applebee's and TGI Friday's...nothing is good but it has a wide variety of menu items. The only restaurants I don't have at least one of my kids bitch there's nothing I like on the menu.

Assuming it's the same franchise, there's one near where I used to work here in Colorado. Tried it one day for luch, and it was awful. I left wondering how they stay in business.

And while I appreciate good food, I rate things relative to what they're supposed to be. Dickey's was aweful for chain BBQ.

Agree, had ribs a dog couldn't chew. Has Serious Texas Barbecue made it's way into Boulder yet?

Applebee's and TGI Friday's...nothing is good but it has a wide variety of menu items. The only restaurants I don't have at least one of my kids bitch there's nothing I like on the menu.
At that price point, I like Ruby Tuesday's. They have a nicer menu selection IMHO, and you can order reasonably healthy there. We will stop along Rt 80 near Bloomsburg on the way to State College and my wife will order salmon with spaghetti squash and another vegetable. It always seems to be well prepared and you can avoid all the high fat content foods such places tend to put on their menus. Their salad bar is also very nice. I've had their petite steak and coconut shrimp combination a few times as well.

Del Frisco's isn't a franchise. All of it's restaurants are owned by it's holding company. It may franchise in the future, but only Sullivan's, not its namesake.

Noted, Art, thanks. Best cheesecake ever!

Texas Road House (if only for the peanuts), Five Guys, Ruth's Chris, Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar, WaWa (Hoagiefest!!!), and used to like Long John Silvers but can't find them anymore.

I've had blaze pizza in Philly. Simple concept. One size pizza made to order, located near college campuses. Not a bad pizza for 6 bucks.

Chic fil-a, longhorn steakhouse are good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT