ADVERTISEMENT

What's the best rivalry in PA High School Football?

Chickadee34

Gold Member
May 2, 2018
Mahanoy, PA
Gotta be Wilson-Mifflin right? At least the best trophy right?

FP6RIAGXsAQswNj

Reactions: NedFromYork
Hbg vs McDevitt. Too bad McDevitt move to the suburbs a few years ago. The visiting team would walk up or down Market St to play the game. How many other HS rivalries had a parade???

West Branch vs Philipsburg-Osceola: schools separated by 1.5 miles and even though BOTH schools are like the rednecks vs the rednecks, P-O is a damn metropolis compared to West Branch, which is literally like the Deliverance of all high schools in Pennsylvania 😆 🤣

Not one single year goes by without 2 or 3 major fights in the concessions 😆 😂 🤣

West Branch vs Philipsburg-Osceola: schools separated by 1.5 miles and even though BOTH schools are like the rednecks vs the rednecks, P-O is a damn metropolis compared to West Branch, which is literally like the Deliverance of all high schools in Pennsylvania 😆 🤣

Not one single year goes by without 2 or 3 major fights in the concessions 😆 😂 🤣
I didn’t realize you lived so close to me. I’m from Bellwood. My oldest 2 sons made their way through the program each garnering some nice accolades and my youngest is an incoming junior who will start out outside linebacker and slot receiver.

I didn’t realize you lived so close to me. I’m from Bellwood. My oldest 2 sons made their way through the program each garnering some nice accolades and my youngest is an incoming junior who will start out outside linebacker and slot receiver.
Bellwood vs Tyrone was the VERY NEXT one I was going to post 😆 🤣

P.S. How redneck is West Branch? Many rural PA. Schools get the first day of hunting season off...but NOT WB LOL, THEY GET THE WHOLE WEEK OFF so everyone can go hunting and by everyone I mean the KIDS.

Bellwood vs Tyrone was the VERY NEXT one I was going to post 😆 🤣 😂
I would have agreed. Each 1 of my older 2 won the trophy. It’s up to my youngest to win his to complete the trifecta. If I knew how to do it I would post the 2 pictures.

I would have agreed. Each 1 of my older 2 won the trophy. It’s up to my youngest to win his to complete the trifecta. If I knew how to do it I would post the 2 pictures.
It's an awesome rivalry and it literally can go either way most seasons, even if one school is up and the other down.

Rochester Monaca. There is a bridge over the Ohio River that connects the two. Every year the bridge is renamed so that the nam of the winner goes first…..the Monaca-Rochester Bridge or the Rochester-Monaca Bridge.
Yes, but it’s been dormant for almost 15 years as Monaca was folded into Central Valley. Easton vs. P-Burg is really hard to beat, but it’s not 2 PA schools. They sell out 14k seats at Lafayette’s Fisher Stadium every year, and would probably get 20-25k if the stadium was large enough.

Lower Merion vs Radnor may be the longest running public school rivalry; the 2022 game was the 126th in the series, which lately has been going Radnor's way. Chris Sydnor from Radnor played DB on PSU's 1982 national championship team.

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
Harmony has no football program but 3 years ago they allowed them to play for Glendale. Glendale, Moshannon Valley and West Branch are the 3 teams that basically represent the Hatfields, McCoys, and Jimbobs of Pennsylvania. No, I'm not kidding, but special mention goes to Cameron County, Coudersport, and Bucktail.

Reactions: Fac and aworsnup
Bison - Wher did you groe up?

Me - Hickory Twp. (Hermitage)

Overall conference…..Butler, New Castle, Beaver Falls, Aliquippa, Ambridge from 1900 to about the mid sixties when mills started to close, relocate, and modernize. All the stadiums were 20,000 and up. The teams were comparable to small college teams.
Where are you from?

Overall conference…..Butler, New Castle, Beaver Falls, Aliquippa, Ambridge from 1900 to about the mid sixties when mills started to close, relocate, and modernize. All the stadiums were 20,000 and up. The teams were comparable to small college teams.
Western Pa was considered the greatest source of talent for many years. No doubt. Also the greatest source of outstanding qbs.

It's funny reading through these responses, you can likely get pretty close to where just about everyone grew up or lives.

I'll go Laurel Highlands Conference. Those teams just don't seem to like each other. Dad said it was really bad when he went to school in the 70s (Forest Hills).

I always heard Portage and Penn Cambria was a huge rivalry back in the day. Portage has significantly shrunk in size, so they don't play anymore.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT