ADVERTISEMENT

Whats going on at Ohio State?

PSUWrestlingFanSince2011

Mar 22, 2022
Transfer after transfer are leaving. Players that have seen action and are solid players. They just had a huge decommit, several recruits say they are now looking around. Something is going on...Maybe Jim Knowles is leaving, could be part of it.

Transfer after transfer are leaving. Players that have seen action and are solid players. They just had a huge decommit, several recruits say they are now looking around. Something is going on...Maybe Jim Knowles is leaving, could be part of it.
Day said in a presser yesterday that they are expecting a lot of movement "out and in" ( meaning Portal) . None of the transfers were really any surprise other than McCord, and that was expected eventually. They have been mostly guys that haven't been able to get real playing time and haven't been able crack the 2 deep. The commit that flipped ( Justin Scott) was a loss but not entirely unexpected. It was a surprise when he committed to OSU, but he's never seemed very solid in his commitment. He's from Chicago yet never attended a single game this season and has had very little interaction with other recruits in the class and spoke very little about OSU. Miami came with a big bag and he took it. Best of luck to him. Time will tell if all of this is Day cleaning house and getting rid of dead weight ( needed, especially on the staff) or signs of bad times ahead.

We'll be in the same boat in a cou9ke years. This is going to be what the portal is. Improve now while kids chase NIL $

One of these seasons, that strategy is going to backfire; you wouldn't think that a program like OSU would have to operate that way.
All programs will eventually. It just starts at the top. Gap between haves and have not will widen.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
All programs will eventually. It just starts at the top. Gap between haves and have not will widen.
I have a feeling that in the next decade, there is going to be a NFL prep league that the best high school players are going to join because I believe that the current NIL system either is going to collapse or dry up considerably; the current system just is unsustainable. Sooner or later, the mega donors are going to realize that NIL is a tremendously bad investment and a waste of their money.

Also, and I ask this because I truly don't know the answer, do people like Gabriel, who now is looking to play for his third school in his career (I think that he's already played college football for about 10 seasons) even go to school anymore, or are they now de facto employees of the school like the janitors and parking lot attendants and football is the only thing that they do?

At the turn of the previous century when college football was like the Wild, Wild West and it wasn't uncommon for people to play for more than one school at the same time and in the same season, I'm beginning to think that we're going Back to the Future with crazy stuff like that happening again.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that in the next decade, there is going to be a NFL prep league that the best high school players are going to join because I believe that the current NIL system either is going to collapse or dry up considerably; the current system just is unsustainable. Sooner or later, the mega donors are going to realize that NIL is a tremendously bad investment and a waste of their money.

Also, and I ask this because I truly don't know the answer, do people like Gabriel, who now is looking to play for his third school in his career (I think that he's already played college football for about 10 seasons) even go to school anymore, or are they now de facto employees of the school like the janitors and parking lot attendants and football is the only thing that they do?

At the turn of the previous century when college football was like the Wild, Wild West and it wasn't uncommon for people to play for more than one school at the same time and in the same season, I'm beginning to think that we're going Back to the Future with crazy stuff like that happening again.
Gabriel entering the portal is crazy to me. I feel like McCord is being pushed out but I can't see Gabriel being run off so I'm truly confused. Nor should he be someone programs are throwing tons of money at.

I don't think there's going to be an NFL prep league because they won't finance it so colleges will have to figure out a way to cap things--should be annoying but interesting.

Gabriel entering the portal is crazy to me. I feel like McCord is being pushed out but I can't see Gabriel being run off so I'm truly confused. Nor should he be someone programs are throwing tons of money at.

I don't think there's going to be an NFL prep league because they won't finance it so colleges will have to figure out a way to cap things--should be annoying but interesting.
If it's not capped, it's going to be like European soccer, in which each league only has at most four teams every season that have a chance to win the title, and about the same number that have a chance to win the Champions League. If it's not capped, it's going to make the disparity between the big and small markets in baseball look competitive by comparison.

If it's not capped, it's going to be like European soccer, in which each league only has at most four teams every season that have a chance to win the title, and about the same number that have a chance to win the Champions League. If it's not capped, it's going to make the disparity between the big and small markets in baseball look competitive by comparison.
100% agree

He doesn't have the size to be drafted very high. I think he wants to try to win a title. I doubt Oklahoma in year 3 of Venables entering year 1 of SEC play is the place to do that.

I could see Oregon or Washington or USC for him.

Reactions: LandoComando
He doesn't have the size to be drafted very high. I think he wants to try to win a title. I doubt Oklahoma in year 3 of Venables entering year 1 of SEC play is the place to do that.

I could see Oregon or Washington or USC for him.
I feel like every QB in the portal is looking at those 3

Wait a minute! I thought someone said that this is "Capitalism"! Just let 'em wither on the vine, right?

I think you are correct about the money drying up and I believe it will sooner (within 5 yrs). I also think the NIL people should put some performance caveats in place to guarantee ROI.

The mass exodus continues
It's the norm with the big time programs in today's CF. Read that last year Georgia had 16 transfers and Alabama had 18. Also read that Alabama is expecting around 20 more transfers this year. All of those 4 and 5 stars backups see what they're up against after a year or so at the school and decide to leave.

Take a look at what those schools have coming in - both in their 2024 recruiting classes and the portal that's replacing those "mass exoduses.". Hint - they won't be suffering

Last edited:
I suspect day is shopping for an nfl job and the kids no he has to realize that there is no satisfying the osu fan base and media

Why is that a smart move? He is already a "star" at Oklahoma. Not that i care that much other than my son in law is a big fan.

OU is SEC bound.

The offensive coordinator who got them from. 500 to 10 wins just left for Mississippi State.

Oregon has plenty of talent and a QB vacancy.

Big 10 schedule is spaced well. 2-3 weeks between OSU/Michigan then another 3-4 between Mich/Washington.

No USC nor PSU.

Reactions: Gitzit
I'm familiar with RBs Henderson, Williams, Traynum, and Hayden. Never heard of Pryor. Who is he? Seriously, what's the big issue if they lose 15 to 20 players every year that probably won't be starters or see much playing time going forward. Sounds like OSU is joining Alabama and Georgia in their yearly roster purge. Welcome to today's CF world

Reactions: Westcoast24
I'm familiar with RBs Henderson, Williams, Traynum, and Hayden. Never heard of Pryor. Who is he? Seriously, what's the big issue if they lose 15 to 20 players every year that probably won't be starters or see much playing time going forward. Sounds like OSU is joining Alabama and Georgia in their yearly roster purge. Welcome to today's CF world
Pryor is a RB. 4 star with an injury history. Never saw much playing time. Likely kids see little or no playing time so they leave. I don't think that OSU is purging the roster. That is more an SEC thing.

Why is that a smart move? He is already a "star" at Oklahoma. Not that i care that much other than my son in law is a big fan.
He already left. I think he should have stayed but if anyone is in the portal Oregon Washington and USC are the best opening followed by ND and now Oklahoma. Maybe FSU as well.

Reactions: Gitzit
Pryor is a RB. 4 star with an injury history. Never saw much playing time. Likely kids see little or no playing time so they leave. I don't think that OSU is purging the roster. That is more an SEC thing.
Not saying that OSU is currently purging but with NIL in full swing now, I really believe that it won't be just the SEC "purging" going forward. I think it will become more of a survival thing for the teams that have realistic chances - year in and out - at championships - and that includes B1G teams like Michigan, OSU, PSU, Oregon, Washington and USC

Last edited:
If memory serves me Pryor was a pretty highly rated recruit. Psu was after him and many thought he’d come here as his sister was already at psu…

Is Day still coaching at OSU? I was told Michigan broke him by the two board mods Lando and Westcoast24
I never told you that. You have comprehension issues.

You really need to report to yahoo the issues you are having with your IGNORE feature. Seems it’s broke again biomed. Maybe Nate would be able to assist.

Last edited:
If memory serves me Pryor was a pretty highly rated recruit. Psu was after him and many thought he’d come here as his sister was already at psu…
I believe that Pryor was the fifth rated running back in his class. He hurt his knee and has never been able to break into the top three at Ohio State. If he goes to the right place he should do well because he is very quick although he is not big. I wish him well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT