ADVERTISEMENT

What your favorite painting or artwork: I have affinity for

Hold on, now. I am an art and politics novice. Are these the Democratic presidents or the Republican presidents? (I assume you have all seen the presidential takeoffs on this.)

I Have seen them. Don't know which one this is.

Reactions: Leo Ridens
These are a couple Georgia O'Keeffe favorites of mine.
okeefe-painting650.jpg

black-cross.jpg

Radiator%20Building%20at%20Night%20Georgia%20O'Keeffe.jpg

I'm a big Jackson Pollock fan and just last week spent time visiting the Jackson Pollock/Lee Kransner house in the Springs section of East Hampton. Here is a pic of the only original remaining in the house and one that I particularly like. This was painted before his "pour" period while he was still living in NYC. The pour period had its genesis when he moved to East Hampton where he would lay canvases on the floor in the barn and paint from above.

IMG-1894.jpg

Interestingly, he was all but an indentured servant to Peggy Guggenheim who loaned him $2,000 to buy his house (no heat and no running water) and gave him a $300/mo stipend in exchange for all his work except for one painting a year which he was allowed to keep. He was a severely depressed person and an alcoholic who would drink until he would black out. Sadly he died in a one car accident near his home at the age of 44 with him behind the wheel, taking his young mistress with him.

Here are a few more pics from the house.

IMG-1876.jpg

IMG-1875.jpg

IMG-1886.jpg

IMG-1878.jpg

IMG-1877.jpg

The barn floor where he laid his canvasses.
IMG-1873.jpg

Jackson's wife and fellow artist Lee Krasner was in Paris to study
when he was killed.
IMG-1880.jpg
My wife is big on Pollock, too. I can take his stuff or leave it but Jane takes her time with his paintings and is able to go into detail about what strikes her about them.

Reactions: Leo Ridens
Hey there! I stumbled upon this old thread and couldn't resist replying. I'm a great fan of art. I love how it can stir up different emotions and interpretations. One of my all-time favorites is "Starry Night" by Vincent van Gogh. The way he captured the night sky is just mind-blowing. If you're into abstract art, you should also check out Artworks.ae. They have some awesome pieces that you might love.

Last edited:
Not necessarily my favorite, but I saw this at a National Gallery show on the Pre-Raphaelites a few years ago and it struck me how different it was from the usual portrayal of the Annunciation: no chubby cherubs surrounding a queen-like Mary in a flowing gown with heavenly rays of light, etc. It is just a young girl in a simple gown in a simple bed being offered a lily by a guy who should not be in her bedroom. She is looking at the lily and thinking, "Lilies are the sign of purity. If this guy in my bedroom wants what I think he wants, he should be offering me red roses." If he had left out the gold halos, it would be perfect IMHO. Extra points to Gabriel Dante Rossetti for making her a redhead (most of the women he painted were redheads).

Ecce Ancilla Domini: "Behold the Handmaid of the Lord"
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT