ADVERTISEMENT

What word can't your state's residents spell?

interrobang

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2016
google-top-spelling-searches.png

I have a lot of questions for Connecticut, Kentucky and North Carolina.

Color? That’s just embarrassing. Not nearly as embarrassing as the fact that a lot of people down here pronounce “crayon” the same as “crown” but embarrassing nonetheless.

I like Alabamians search. Most probably search because cuz they use cuz. To me donut was always doughnut. It looks right. I thought donut was just the Dunkin play on words.

Reactions: john4psu
google-top-spelling-searches.png

I have a lot of questions for Connecticut, Kentucky and North Carolina.
Maybe we need an entity like Spain has: The Spanish Academy of Language. They are the guardians of their language. They take great offense at other "Spanish speaking" people interjecting slang or "Americanized" terms into what they would consider pure Spanish. That would probably be impossible to pull off with English because it still seems to be evolving and so many words have multiple meanings in America, the U.K. Australia, New Zealand, etc.
Anyway, very interesting MAP you posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
Whether it be from texting language, just general teenage nonsense, or cultural reasons Children today cannot spell many four and five letter words.

they should do a percentage of people by state who know enough not to put an apostrophe in plurals

The snobbery of the New England states, and i'm sure the midwest screws up many 5 letter words. Mississippi i doubt it.

Last edited:
Color? That’s just embarrassing. Not nearly as embarrassing as the fact that a lot of people down here pronounce “crayon” the same as “crown” but embarrassing nonetheless.

I am dyslexic on a major scale. I am guilty of both in your post. My corporate email corrospance (like my posts here) read like a 4th grader. I often explain to those outside of my company of why I prefer calls to email. Lol.

Reactions: CentexLion
Some of these I can understand because there have been alternate spellings, like “ grey “ and “ colour “ ( English usage ).
Some are not commonly used like “ aesthetic “ or “ exorbitant “.
When you are spell checking words like “ quiet “, “ because “ and “ beautiful “, it’s probably because you don’t read.
And having to spell check your home State ( CO ) is just pathetic.

the four letter word is one of the most understandable lol
That cracks me up. Only one state with a four letter word and it's colored red so nobody can miss it. They could have also drawn an arrow pointing to TN with the message, "These morons can't even spell a four letter word!!"

But to be honest, when I write gray/grey I use whichever one strike me in the moment. There's no rhyme or reason.

And what's the deal with Oklahoma. A lot of cheating spouses???

Maybe we need an entity like Spain has: The Spanish Academy of Language. They are the guardians of their language. They take great offense at other "Spanish speaking" people interjecting slang or "Americanized" terms into what they would consider pure Spanish. That would probably be impossible to pull off with English because it still seems to be evolving and so many words have multiple meanings in America, the U.K. Australia, New Zealand, etc.
They are fighting a losing battle. Plus, “pure” Castilian Spanish is ridiculous with that lisping sound.

Just as Spain has lost control of its language to Latin America (and the corrupting influence of American English), England lost control to us.

I would have thought lose. I wish I had a dollar every time I saw loose used instead of lose.

Reactions: bison13
They are fighting a losing battle. Plus, “pure” Castilian Spanish is ridiculous with that lisping sound.

Just as Spain has lost control of its language to Latin America (and the corrupting influence of American English), England lost control to us.
I actually like the Castilian sound. You are right about the fact that the Spanairds are fighting against the wind.. Noble effort on their part.

I would have thought lose. I wish I had a dollar every time I saw loose used instead of lose.
Here in md, specifically Baltimore its lose vs lost, not spelling but similar.

We lose last night.
If we play like that we gonna lost every game

I came across an article a few weeks ago where the premise of it was that languages around the world were facing an extinction event from globalization.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT