ADVERTISEMENT

What movies became a successful television series?

seems like a decent amount of dislike for MASH TV show. I always thought it was decent. Obviously got more serious over the years but still remained a pretty well written and acted show.

seems like a decent amount of dislike for MASH TV show. I always thought it was decent. Obviously got more serious over the years but still remained a pretty well written and acted show.
I actually liked Harry Morgan (much closer to the original book CO) and David Ogden Stiers better--the latter was a much more intelligent foil for Hawkeye and sometimes even won--my favorite episode of his was where he was trying to give candy to the orphans at Christmas.

Good call, although I believe that was Robert Lansing in the lead role. I guess you just tend to ignore anything with Lansing in the name. ;)

At the end of the first season, the studio executives decided a younger-looking lead actor was needed.[1] In the first episode of the second season, General Savage, played by Robert Lansing, was killed in action and replaced by Colonel Joe Gallagher, played by Paul Burke. (Burke, though considered more youthful-looking than Lansing, was actually two years older, a fact that TV critics were quick to point out.) The decision proved unpopular and the ratings began to drop.

Stargate. Saw the movie but never saw much of the series.
Saw movie and didn't think much of the TV show and missed quite a few seasons. Then got hooked on it (love SciFi) and had watched all episodes and Stargate: Continuum and Stargate: Ark of Truth; Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe. Would watch them today if they came out.

Saw movie and didn't think much of the TV show and missed quite a few seasons. Then got hooked on it (love SciFi) and had watched all episodes and Stargate: Continuum and Stargate: Ark of Truth; Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe. Would watch them today if they came out.

I thought the movie was okay but really became a big fan of the series. I think it got better as the series went on. I loved Col. O'Neill's sarcastic humor in the face of danger and incredible evil.

Reactions: gslachta
maxresdefault.jpg

buffy-clipart-8.jpg

65c5861299dc171169d790b08c4e8b30--kristy-swanson-amy-smart.jpg

618full-buffy-summers-%28kristy-swanson%29.jpg

main_1520957937-Kristy-Swanson-Signed-Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer-8x10-Photo-JSA-COA-PristineAuction.com.jpg

Big Kristy Swanson fan.

The TV series was 100x better than the movie.

I liked MASH, although Alda did get too self-important from time to time. But one thing that always struck me was how weird it was that Hawkeye, who again and again was shown to be better than literally any other surgeon, including Harvard-trained Charles Emerson Winchester, lived and worked in some little town in Maine.

Really? One of the best doctors in the world lives in Crab Apple Cove, Maine? They could've been a little more realistic about that. Hawkeye was morally superior to everyone else AND he was the best doctor in the world. That was a little much.

You guys are all in deep scoot... this guy is wondering how you did not know the greatest movie to TV series is clearly Lone Wolf McQuade into Walker, Texas Ranger. You will answer to HIM!
chuck-norris-png-5a3a83f5848585.8375428315137843095428.jpg

Reactions: cment
The first one to come to mind because I like the films and the series.

Others that I think ran more than three seasons:

Highlander, Terminator, and the Librarians. I was going to add Mr. Belvedere as my grandmother always claimed it was based on a series of movies from the 1940s. However, when I just went to check, it turns out that the movies were based on a book, thus disqualifying it by the parameters set forth by the original poster.

Animal House >>Delta House. I still remember watching Delta House, funny enough but they were never going to match the original. Tapped out after ten or so episodes, surely less than ten.

I don't get how you guys don't tie Bates with Psycho, only the title is changed but Bates is Psycho. The house Norma, Norman, Marian etc.
Bates was a fantastic show.

The major problem with MASH was that it was written about young men being sent with idealistic ideas to Korea and learning about life. The TV show was about middle age men sent to Vietnam. It is hard to watch a balding middle aged man going to bed with a teddy bear and gray haired men preaching about showing compassion to an enemy that despised us.

Shooter is turning into a pretty good show, and I like Ryan Phillipe way more than Marky Mark. It almost qualifies, as the third season has started. Yes, I know movie and series are based on a book, but the OP broke his own rule with M*A*S*H.....in his op!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT