ADVERTISEMENT

What movies became a successful television series?

Roar More

Aug 19, 2004
Let's arbitrarily say three or more seasons designates success. The series has to be based solely on the movie. If movie and series are both based primarily on a popular book, comic book or radio show, it doesn't count. That would rule out "Dobie Gillis."

Without doing any research, I came up with "Mash," the most successful example. I believe "MASH" was based on a book, but not a popular one.

Another would be "The Courtship of Eddie's Father."

Whatcha got? I eagerly await both your answer and the inevitable turn this will take away from the original topic.

Tenspeed and Brownshoes was great even though it lasted only one year. It was based on two body guards who hung out with the jet set on the upper East Side of NYC from 1976-1978. Benjie was a fast talking Dutch Indonesian who charmed all and Todd looked like an intellectual nerd, who was an athletic freak.

Last edited:
Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea.

And also from that era, Daktari, based on Clarence, The Cross-Eyed Lion.

Last edited:
Reactions: N&B4PSU and 83wuzme
Stargate. Saw the movie but never saw much of the series.

Agree. And I really liked the movie. My big problem with the Stargate TV series is that it's not available (yet) in HD. I have the Stargate Atlantis series (very good) and have seen the Stargate Universe series (excellent) in HD.

Although girly, Downton Abby was a huge TV success and is currently in production with the movie. It'll be huge when released.

Fame. Ran for six seasons. Won a couple awards.

But MASH is the best.
M*A*S*H was a great movie and Hornberger's novel (on which it's based) was underrated, but the t.v. show only really worked for the first three seasons. Once Blake, McIntyre, and Burns (Stevenson, Rogers, and Linville) left, the show lost it's comedic rudder.

The characters that replaced that key trio didn't have the same weaknesses (hated being there, drank too much, slept around, and in Burns' case was a total hypocrite) and it just wasn't as funny, nor did it have the same anti-war impact

Well played.

The first one to come to mind because I like the films and the series.

Others that I think ran more than three seasons:

Highlander, Terminator, and the Librarians. I was going to add Mr. Belvedere as my grandmother always claimed it was based on a series of movies from the 1940s. However, when I just went to check, it turns out that the movies were based on a book, thus disqualifying it by the parameters set forth by the original poster.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
You are banished to Sunday morning lattes and scones with BobPSU92. Bring you own tongs.

maxresdefault.jpg

buffy-clipart-8.jpg

65c5861299dc171169d790b08c4e8b30--kristy-swanson-amy-smart.jpg

618full-buffy-summers-%28kristy-swanson%29.jpg

main_1520957937-Kristy-Swanson-Signed-Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer-8x10-Photo-JSA-COA-PristineAuction.com.jpg

Big Kristy Swanson fan.

Operation Petticoat

I have also heard that the Lethal Weapon tv show is pretty good but I haven't watched any of it

The Paper Chase
That is really an under-appreciated movie and series. thanks for bringing that up. James Houseman was masterful in being that professor that is smart, tough and a little bit of an a-hole but, later, you realize was a big part of your success moving forward.

"Mr. Hart, here is a quarter. Call your mother and let her know that you will NOT becoming a lawyer."

the-paper-chase-8.jpg

"The Paper Chase" was a pretty good book. It was recommended reading by a high school teacher.

Also, I believe it was a dime, not a quarter for a phone call back then. Although once lawyers add their fees.....

Last edited:
Reactions: wex18 and 91Joe95
12 O' Clock High.

Gregory Peck starred in the (1949) movie version. Robert Stack starred in the (1964-1967) TV series that followed.
Good call, although I believe that was Robert Lansing in the lead role. I guess you just tend to ignore anything with Lansing in the name. ;)

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I'd add "Young Indiana Jones". I enjoyed it quite a bit, even though it wasn't as big a success as it could have been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT