ADVERTISEMENT

What I learned in Pittsburgh

pointingdogsrule

Jan 26, 2014
Flew into Pittsburgh for that football game last weekend. Here are a few things that I learned which may be of some help to others for the March NCAA wrestling tourney.
1. Uber from the airport to downtown will be on average $38.00.
2. Bus from the airport downtown is $2.75. The bus is #28X. It will take about 20 - 30 minutes depending on traffic. I took the bus and it dropped me off at one of the inclines. I then walked to my Airbnb in Mt. Washington.
3. Mt Washington is a working class area. Nice place to stay. Places to eat of all price ranges. Very nice view of the city. Incline was fun taking.
4. ***MOST IMPORTANT*** if you do NOT want to drive..... get a place close to the "T". This is Pittsburgh's light rail line. There are red and blue routes that will take you downtown. Very nice to ride and cost $2.50 (if prepaid). I walked 1 mile to the incline and rode down and then caught the "T" at "Station Square". This is where the red and blue lines meet. On the way back I exited at Station Square. It was 1:30 in the AM after the game. NOTE: the inclines stop running after 11 PM. This doesn't give you a lot of options on how to get up Mt. Washington. It is very steep and wooded except for two streets. I overheard some PSU fans talking about Uber. I asked and they were nice enough to share their ride up to Mt. Washington. (by the way I met many nice PSU fans at the airport, bars and the game). One guy even gave me his name and contact in case I want PSU wrestling tickets in State College :)

So my lesson was to cancel my place in Shadyhill for this March and relocate close to the "T". Already have a place scoped out :) I believe others here have mentioned Dormont which is close to the "T". If you fly in have the bus drop you off at Station Square and take the "T" to your place. If your plane flight leaves at 5:30 AM as did mine.... you will have to Uber to the airport (about $33.00 that early in the AM).

Other side notes: Heinz field is a great place to watch a game. I feel like I am over generalizing, however, there were so MANY OBNOXIOUS Pitt fans :( The Hatred for PSU is deep.

Good luck to all getting tickets for this March and I am looking forward to returning to Pittsburgh. Also thanks for all the locals in Pittsburgh and on this forum for advanced advice :)

Last edited:
Flew into Pittsburgh for that football game last weekend. Here are a few things that I learned which may be of some help to others for the March NCAA wrestling tourney.
2. Bus from the airport downtown is $2.75. The bus is #28X. It will take about 20 - 30 minutes depending on traffic. I took the bus and it dropped me off at one of the inclines. I then walked to my Airbnb in Mt. Washington.
3. Mt Washington is a working class area. Nice place to stay. Places to eat of all price ranges. Very nice view of the city. Incline was fun taking.
4. ***MOST IMPORTANT*** if you do NOT want to drive..... get a place close to the "T". This is Pittsburgh's light rail line. There are red and blue routes that will take you downtown. Very nice to ride and cost $2.50 (if prepaid). I walked 1 mile to the incline and rode down and then caught the "T" at "Station Square". This is where the red and blue lines meet. On the way back I exited at Station Square. It was 1:30 in the AM after the game. NOTE: the inclines stop running after 11 PM. This doesn't give you a lot of options on how to get up Mt. Washington. It is very steep and wooded except for two streets. I overheard some PSU fans talking about Uber. I asked and they were nice enough to share their ride up to Mt. Washington. (by the way I met many nice PSU fans at the airport, bars and the game). One guy even gave me his name and contact in case I want PSU wrestling tickets in State College :)

So my lesson was to cancel my place in Shadyhill for this March and relocate close to the "T". Already have a place scoped out :) I believe others here have mentioned Dormont which is close to the "T". If you fly in have the bus drop you off at Station Square and take the "T" to your place. If your plane flight leaves at 5:30 AM as did mine.... you will have to Uber to the airport (about $33.00 that early in the AM).

Other side notes: Heinz field is a great place to watch a game. I feel like I am over generalizing, however, there were so MANY OBNOXIOUS Pitt fans :( The Hatred for PSU is deep.

Good luck to all getting tickets for this March and I am looking forward to returning to Pittsburgh. Also thanks for all the locals in Pittsburgh and on this forum for advanced advice :)
Ah, geez. We played Pitt. I kept thinking it was like playing Akron for some reason.

Staying at the Wyndham....

Even as prohibitive favorites, I doubt we will be winning by 45 points in March!

Even as prohibitive favorites, I doubt we will be winning by 45 points in March!
Not in March, but if Cael were to petition the NCAA for a scrimmage against Pitt 45 points might be a conservative estimate to the spread.

Reactions: diggerpup

I’d recommend staying downtown but if you want to use transit look at Marriott on Washington Ave in Mount Lebanon.

Reactions: lionlover
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT