ADVERTISEMENT

What has Allar done to be the undoubted starter?

10 win regular season in 2024 would be better than the 10 win regular season in 2023, considering that we have to play at WVU, USC and Wisconsin, and have what should be difficult home games against an OSU team that definitely will be in the preseason top 5, Washington and UCLA.

Until none of them finish better than 7 or 8 wins. Then it's the same thing as last year. We gotta beat OSU or we gotta win 11 games. It still won't change the narrative of our opponents though.

Until none of them finish better than 7 or 8 wins. Then it's the same thing as last year. We gotta beat OSU or we gotta win 11 games. It still won't change the narrative of our opponents though.
Huh? 10-2 in the big ten will guarantee us a playoff spot, no matter who the wins and losses are to.

Reactions: lazydave841
Should, yes, but as we saw last year, we would have been the last team in.
No, that would’ve been Ole Miss as the 11 seed. We would have been the 10 seed and played 7 seed OSU. 12 seed was the non-power 5 automatic qualifier, which would have been Liberty. So we would have been the second to last team in.

No, that would’ve been Ole Miss as the 11 seed. We would have been the 10 seed and played 7 seed OSU. 12 seed was the non-power 5 automatic qualifier, which would have been Liberty. So we would have been the second to last team in.
You're correct; we would've played OSU at Ohio Stadium.

Before the '23 season, we all agreed we had an elite defense and a strong running game. What we needed from Allar was to not turnover the ball and be very good in the Red Zone. If he checks those two boxes, we make the CFP, right? Nope, Allar didn't turn the ball over and he wasn't good in the redzone, the man was ELITE. Only Oregon and Arizona threw more redzone TDs than we did. The issues we had last year run deeper than Allar.

That’s the problem we won’t win 10 games this year and probably won’t make the playoffs so I want to see who will squeeze James Franklin first since most of the posters on this board are Franklin’s buddies

Before the '23 season, we all agreed we had an elite defense and a strong running game. What we needed from Allar was to not turnover the ball and be very good in the Red Zone. If he checks those two boxes, we make the CFP, right? Nope, Allar didn't turn the ball over and he wasn't good in the redzone, the man was ELITE. Only Oregon and Arizona threw more redzone TDs than we did. The issues we had last year run deeper than Allar.
No question they run deeper than Allar. Our running game was unreliable in spots, the OL failed in key situations, and the inability to stretch the field forced us to play in a box.

However, Drew was not elite in totality. Don't be washed over by JF and his incessant need to glorify the lack of turnovers. In our two biggest games (how most people judge players, coaches, etc), we were 5-30 on third downs...utterly atrocious. And, Drew was like 47 comp% combined in those games. Now, obviously he is 1 player out of 11, but by no means did he help in any way to win those games...we were close because of the defense. Unfortunately the D couldn't score any points b/c the offense was inept.

If Drew throws 5 more INT's next year, but also becomes a dynamic thrower of the deep ball, and gains more pocket awareness, poise and instincts, we will be better off. Him throwing two INT's and being check down city has zero benefit.

Reactions: Chris92
That’s the problem we won’t win 10 games this year and probably won’t make the playoffs so I want to see who will squeeze James Franklin first since most of the posters on this board are Franklin’s buddies
Who was the last P5 coach fired for losing the message board?

Reactions: JerseyRon
A 10 win regular season in 2024 would be better than the 10 win regular season in 2023, considering that we have to play at WVU, USC and Wisconsin, and have what should be difficult home games against an OSU team that definitely will be in the preseason top 5, Washington and UCLA. For PSU to get 10 wins against that schedule, the qb is going to have to improve greatly both in his physical and, maybe more importantly, mental peformances. I hope that he can do it, but I don't believe that it is a sure thing. My hope is that his hopefully vastly improved coaching greatly aids in his advancement.
Are we still trying to make WVU an impressive win? Can we please stop? We should beat them by 3 scores not year. Wisconsin UCLA and Wisconsin may or may not be good. Even USC is questionable. Favorable schedule avoiding Michigan and Oregon. The floor might be 9 next year but 10 is expected. Losses to Ohio State and maybe USC.

Yes, because acknowledging reality is bad? You can want more and understand what else was out there all at the same time.

Being 100% negative doesn't make you a better fan. It just makes you negative.

Reactions: bison13
Are we still trying to make WVU an impressive win? Can we please stop? We should beat them by 3 scores not year. Wisconsin UCLA and Wisconsin may or may not be good. Even USC is questionable. Favorable schedule avoiding Michigan and Oregon. The floor might be 9 next year but 10 is expected. Losses to Ohio State and maybe USC.

Trolly McTroll sez “We!” -That’s funny. What a poser!

A 10 win regular season in 2024 would be better than the 10 win regular season in 2023, considering that we have to play at WVU, USC and Wisconsin, and have what should be difficult home games against an OSU team that definitely will be in the preseason top 5, Washington and UCLA. For PSU to get 10 wins against that schedule, the qb is going to have to improve greatly both in his physical and, maybe more importantly, mental peformances. I hope that he can do it, but I don't believe that it is a sure thing. My hope is that his hopefully vastly improved coaching greatly aids in his advancement.
Unless we win 10 games next year then we’ll read on here how bad those other teams actually were. I read going into 2023 how much harder our schedule was than it was in 2022, until we won 10 games. Funny how that works.

Don’t waste your time trying to argue with Average Loser. He thinks that means he’s in your head. Pittsburgh fans have an inferiority complex like that.
Why do you say Pittsburghers have an inferiority complex, especially when it comes to sports? I mean, I was born in 1967, and since then, Pittsburgh has won six Super Bowls and been to two others, has won five Stanley Cups and been to another Finals, and has won two World Series. That’s a total of thirteen pro sports championships in fifty six years for a relatively small city; that’s pretty good.

As far as non-sports, Pittsburgh could’ve become a larger version of Camden or Gary, IN, but it has done a pretty good job of remaking itself after the collapse of the steel industry.

BCSPSU, Everything you said is true. You sound like a sports fan who is a normal person. I’m not talking about people like you. I am unusual in that I’m not from Pittsburgh but I’m a Penguins fan (former season ticket holder) and also a Ravens season ticket holder and as an outsider I just find that many Pittsburghers seem to have a chip on their shoulder. I think that’s why the Pittsburgh Dad comedian is so funny. He taps into that. This Dip$hit, Below Average Loser, is an example of what I’m talking about. He thinks running his mouth about the Orioles would bother me. I don’t live in Maryland. I’m not an Orioles fan. In fact I no longer follow MLB at all because it’s like the Globetrotters but this guy is so pissed off at the world that he’s really going to let me know about it. For some reason many Pittsburgh fans like this Below Average Loser just try too hard.

Last edited:
Jump to wild-ass far-reaching conclusions much?
I said nothing of the sort. But he clearly sucked awfully in the only games that truly mattered
So if only two games matter then the other ten don’t…not much of a far reaching conclusion. If you’re going to completely ignore the other 10 games as insignificant, then it doesn’t matter if they won or lost in those games. You can’t have it both ways.

So if only two games matter then the other ten don’t…not much of a far reaching conclusion. If you’re going to completely ignore the other 10 games as insignificant, then it doesn’t matter if they won or lost in those games. You can’t have it both ways.
They all matter but the wins matter less when you lose the other two costing you the division and a playoff spot. The 5-7 format gives way more meaning to those games

Fans/donors mentality trickles down to AD/ athletic department whether you like it or not.
Yes, and PSU enjoys record attendance. I don't think a few message board malcontents will move anyone into a fanboy like knee jerk reaction.
Perhaps the belly aching should be reserved for later this spring when 15 names currently on the roster depart?

Reactions: royboy
Yes, and PSU enjoys record attendance. I don't think a few message board malcontents will move anyone into a fanboy like knee jerk reaction.
Perhaps the belly aching should be reserved for later this spring when 15 names currently on the roster depart?
PSU (and most programs of its kind) will always have near or full capacity. CFB is a few Saturdays out of the year and a sport that, come Fall, is part of the fabric.

With that being said, I don't think there is any question that donors (and I'm guessing high wealth ones at that) would actually contribute more if JF showed any ability to get the job done. I think they are tired of his hot air act and failing in nearly every big game in the B1G, and then constantly asking for more. That's now how this works. Yes, it is the chicken and egg theory for some sports -- how can you begin to have success without some financial support, buy-in, etc. But, this isn't softball. Everything gets poured into football, so-to-speak. I think the gray, fuzzy info that the fans got who trekked down to Atlanta regarding how they had an all-in mentality, only to have our core guys sitting out was the final straw for many. Combine that with our usual poor performance vs another SEC team in a bowl game, and it was a very bad look for Mr. word salad.

I think for many now, they are done with this crap and will not give big until the begging stops, and the winning increases.

PSU (and most programs of its kind) will always have near or full capacity. CFB is a few Saturdays out of the year and a sport that, come Fall, is part of the fabric.

With that being said, I don't think there is any question that donors (and I'm guessing high wealth ones at that) would actually contribute more if JF showed any ability to get the job done. I think they are tired of his hot air act and failing in nearly every big game in the B1G, and then constantly asking for more. That's now how this works. Yes, it is the chicken and egg theory for some sports -- how can you begin to have success without some financial support, buy-in, etc. But, this isn't softball. Everything gets poured into football, so-to-speak. I think the gray, fuzzy info that the fans got who trekked down to Atlanta regarding how they had an all-in mentality, only to have our core guys sitting out was the final straw for many. Combine that with our usual poor performance vs another SEC team in a bowl game, and it was a very bad look for Mr. word salad.

I think for many now, they are done with this crap and will not give big until the begging stops, and the winning increases.
Let’s see. Donate to Thon or NIL? Tough call, not. How about the renovated stadium includes locations for NIL bake sales?

Sorry for the snark. But realistically, the kids making the NIL money are the ones that stand to make tens of millions in the NFL. Even if not, alums take care of many with nice jobs

I’ve done ok financially. The last thing I am doing is giving money to teen age kids that have great chances to make more than I ever dreamed of.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Let’s see. Donate to Thon or NIL? Tough call, not. How about the renovated stadium includes locations for NIL bake sales?

Sorry for the snark. But realistically, the kids making the NIL money are the ones that stand to make tens of millions in the NFL. Even if not, alums take care of many with nice jobs

I’ve done ok financially. The last thing I am doing is giving money to teen age kids that have great chances to make more than I ever dreamed of.
No doubt...but I wasn't talking about NIL at all; more so, structural things that benefit the guts of the program, from nutrition centers, improved tech for the film rooms, rehab areas, etc. Even a big donor to write a large check for an increase in recruiting budget (which is already large).

These are still more important from a sustainability standpoint, once you have them, it is the foundation for your program. NIL is hot now, but who knows where it will be in the coming yrs. I just get the feeling, and I'm sure some feel the same way, that 'facility' dollars would come even more and with more zeros if JF would win bigger games and not moan about the same stuff over and over. I think he is a good guy and an important face for the program. But, I also feel, savvy donors who have a ton of money, know what a wolf in sheeps clothing looks like -- and what is hot air and what isn't. This season did nothing to help those feelings.

No doubt...but I wasn't talking about NIL at all; more so, structural things that benefit the guts of the program, from nutrition centers, improved tech for the film rooms, rehab areas, etc. These are still more important from a sustainability standpoint, once you have them, it is the foundation for your program. NIL is hot now, but who knows where it will be in the coming yrs. I just get the feeling, and I'm sure some feel the same way, that 'facility' dollars would come even more and with more zeros if JF would win bigger games and not moan about the same stuff over and over. I think he is a good guy and an important face for the program. But, I also feel, savvy donors who have a ton of money, know what a wolf in sheeps clothing looks like -- and what is hot air and what isn't. This season did nothing to help those feelings.
I think he’s trying. So are the kids. While we were talented last year, we didn’t have the consistency and depth that UM and tOSU had. Specifically, our WR corp underperformed. That’s a huge part of any football team today. They tried to fix it in the off season but the xfers didn’t work out and we had a couple of injuries. We just don’t recruit at the same clip.

While I think franklins in game decisions are highly questionable, our program is not as good as theirs, bottom line. We might be able to pull an upset here or there, but we just aren’t good enough.

The program suffered under JVP and then Sandusky hit. If you look at college ball, it’s the same ten teams year after year. One drops out, one ascends for a year or two, then drops back out. But it is pretty consistently the same teams. The really good kids want to play for natties. So they go to these ten schools. And, of course, that is where the NIL money is going too

There will be lots of change due to the new B1G but if you expect PSU to beat UM and OSU consistently, you are going to be very disappointed. There is just way too much head wind.

I think he’s trying. So are the kids. While we were talented last year, we didn’t have the consistency and depth that UM and tOSU had. Specifically, our WR corp underperformed. That’s a huge part of any football team today. They tried to fix it in the off season but the xfers didn’t work out and we had a couple of injuries. We just don’t recruit at the same clip.

While I think franklins in game decisions are highly questionable, our program is not as good as theirs, bottom line. We might be able to pull an upset here or there, but we just aren’t good enough.

The program suffered under JVP and then Sandusky hit. If you look at college ball, it’s the same ten teams year after year. One drops out, one ascends for a year or two, then drops back out. But it is pretty consistently the same teams. The really good kids want to play for natties. So they go to these ten schools. And, of course, that is where the NIL money is going too

There will be lots of change due to the new B1G but if you expect PSU to beat UM and OSU consistently, you are going to be very disappointed. There is just way too much head wind.
I respect your points, Obliviax...even though I respectfully disagree. I just think you give JF too much of a pass b/c of these 'headwinds.' I mean if we just aren't good enough and shouldn't expect more, than PK should dump JF, and not make him one of the top paid HC's. Instead, hire an up and coming coordinator for half the price. Because by that logic, JF is wayyyy overpaid then.

Consistently isn't what anyone is expecting. Until recently, Umich wasn't beating OSU at all for over a decade, which was unacceptable in their eyes I'm sure. I'm guessing they would have accepted every 2 or 3 yrs, at worst.

Our recruiting vs Umich is negligible and pretty much even for several yrs..and in some cases, we have had much better classes. That has been documented. JF has one win in 11 yrs vs OSU...I mean cant we expect a bit better than that?

Nobody is talking about beating another blue blood regularly, consistently, whatever you want to call it. That happens all across the country -- when rival conference major programs go at it, it's not always chalk winning.

But, if JF is here 22 yrs at PSU...based on his average, he would end up beating OSU two times. Sorry, but no matter how you spin that, it is a job POORLY done. No NIL or recruiting or "buy-in" excuses matter at that point. We have had more than enough talent to win more than one game on a fluke bounce blocked FG.

Reactions: ryoder1
“PSU (and most programs of its kind) will always have near or full capacity. CFB is a few Saturdays out of the year and a sport that, come Fall, is part of the fabric.”

Wow! Talk about having your head in the sand. Anyone who pays for Penn State season tickets, mandatory “donations” and NIL is a chump. My NFL season tickets are cheaper. I can sell at face value or usually higher for ANY game I don’t attend and I pay $15 to park. The rules are set up such that every team has a chance to be competitive and players don’t opt out. But the biggest difference of all is that both college and NFL players are now professional yet the skill level doesn’t come close to comparable. I can’t imagine the people who went to Atlanta for that fiasco in the Peach Bowl are anxious to do that again. The trend in college football is not good. To me it has the feel of MLB. That is, it has already peaked in popularity and will become more of a niche type sport.

I respect your points, Obliviax...even though I respectfully disagree. I just think you give JF too much of a pass b/c of these 'headwinds.' I mean if we just aren't good enough and shouldn't expect more, than PK should dump JF, and not make him one of the top paid HC's. Instead, hire an up and coming coordinator for half the price. Because by that logic, JF is wayyyy overpaid then.

Consistently isn't what anyone is expecting. Until recently, Umich wasn't beating OSU at all for over a decade, which was unacceptable in their eyes I'm sure. I'm guessing they would have accepted every 2 or 3 yrs, at worst.

Our recruiting vs Umich is negligible and pretty much even for several yrs..and in some cases, we have had much better classes. That has been documented. JF has one win in 11 yrs vs OSU...I mean cant we expect a bit better than that?

Nobody is talking about beating another blue blood regularly, consistently, whatever you want to call it. That happens all across the country -- when rival conference major programs go at it, it's not always chalk winning.

But, if JF is here 22 yrs at PSU...based on his average, he would end up beating OSU two times. Sorry, but no matter how you spin that, it is a job POORLY done. No NIL or recruiting or "buy-in" excuses matter at that point. We have had more than enough talent to win more than one game on a fluke bounce blocked FG.
Fair enough. And I respect yours.

I only wonder who PSU would hire that we think is better. More than likely, the person would be worse. Don't forget, UM cheated. They lost three assistants this last year who were fired for some level of indiscretion (we still don't know about the OC fired a year ago last month). It is "still under investigation." tOSU has been good but the last two HC's were fired for indiscretions (Tressel and Meyer). The new coach, Day, has the same record we do against UM.

and from the school's perspective, there is a lot more to being the HC of a program than Ws and Ls. Franklin has been great for PSU as we continue to recover from the BoT throwing the school under the bus. As I said, I can't imagine how CJF recruits at a high clip when passing the showers knowing that is where JS plied his trade.

LMAOROFL

“PSU (and most programs of its kind) will always have near or full capacity. CFB is a few Saturdays out of the year and a sport that, come Fall, is part of the fabric.”

Wow! Talk about having your head in the sand. Anyone who pays for Penn State season tickets, mandatory “donations” and NIL is a chump. My NFL season tickets are cheaper. I can sell at face value or usually higher for ANY game I don’t attend and I pay $15 to park. The rules are set up such that every team has a chance to be competitive and players don’t opt out. But the biggest difference of all is that both college and NFL players are now professional yet the skill level doesn’t come close to comparable. I can’t imagine the people who went to Atlanta for that fiasco in the Peach Bowl are anxious to do that again. The trend in college football is not good. To me it has the feel of MLB. That is, it has already peaked in popularity and will become more of a niche type sport.
cool..yeah my head is in the sand. What are you talking about? Look at blue blood attendance all across the home games at PSU, OSU, Michigan, Bama, heck even Nebraska. CFB isn't a six month, daily sport. Despite NIL and the game changing drastically, probably not for the better, the sport still brings out more passion for a fans respective alma mater because it happens a few times a year. No doubt, that Peach Bowl fiasco was terrible -- from the optics of another bad performance to the misleading of fans about the core players actually playing. But bowl games aren't regular season, which is what I'm referring to. I guess I'm a chump too.

Fair enough. And I respect yours.

I only wonder who PSU would hire that we think is better. More than likely, the person would be worse. Don't forget, UM cheated. They lost three assistants this last year who were fired for some level of indiscretion (we still don't know about the OC fired a year ago last month). It is "still under investigation." tOSU has been good but the last two HC's were fired for indiscretions (Tressel and Meyer). The new coach, Day, has the same record we do against UM.

and from the school's perspective, there is a lot more to being the HC of a program than Ws and Ls. Franklin has been great for PSU as we continue to recover from the BoT throwing the school under the bus. As I said, I can't imagine how CJF recruits at a high clip when passing the showers knowing that is where JS plied his trade.
Yes, the fallout from the BOT will be a permanent stain..but come on Obli, it has been 13 years. How much longer will JF get a pass from that standpoint in your eyes b/c of the BOT stuff? When the rubber meets the road, in these close games, when PSU constantly fails to make the big catch, or tackle or block...it has absolute zero to do with the fallout or lack of program 'buy-in'. At that point, it is about players making plays, and at a more grass roots level, player development and accountability by the coaches, staff, etc. Our problems are not solely ours....we aren't the only major program that has NIL concerns.

LMAOROFL...good response. If you think the majority of PSU's heavy hitting donors are totally satisfied with these last couple of seasons, I think you are grossly mistaken.
Heavy hitter donors are a niche not the general fandom that you are talking about. I was a Penn State football season ticket holder from the time I stepped on campus until they fired Joe. If you think what you’re paying is worth what you’re getting that’s fine. Personally I feel they’re ripping you off. I suspect there’s more people who feel like me than feel like you. As I said, I don’t like the trend of college football. I guess we’ll see how it turns out. I moved on to strictly attending the NFL and, while they have their problems too, the value proposition isn’t even close.

Reactions: scrivener
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT