ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Pens thread?

There were some interesting posts in that thread so the moderators traded the thread to another board for future considerations.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
It got old, was over paid, and poorly coached.
And paid an expansion team to take the second winningest goaltender in history off their roster. Who then promptly carried that expansion team all the way to the Stanley Cup finals. Meanwhile the goalie they kept now plays with the Hanson Brothers.

• Haha
Reactions: canuckhal
Red Wings and Caps both win to eliminate Pens from playoff possibility. If you don’t make NHL playoffs, nobody to blame but the one you see in the mirror.
I’m not one to blame coaches but I wouldn’t be too upset if the Penguins decided to go in a different direction. Pretty obvious they were playing the wrong goaltender for the majority of this season.

I'm not too keen on the GM either. From what I saw this season Karlsson is a bust. In the recent OT game there were two Pens behind the goalie in the defensive zone and Karlsson leaves the front of the net to go help and the other team gets the puck to a wide open man in front of the Pens goalie. This is a high school hockey level mistake. It's just back hockey from an undisciplined player. Oh, then Karlsson score in OT to get the win. He needs to go. The Pens need players that know how to play basic responsible hockey. Good teams don't make those types of mistakes, let alone in games that are basically sudden death in ending their season. These types of mistakes are regular occurances for the Pens and why even as a long time fan I had a hard time watching them this season. And their poor defensive responsibility shows up big in their overtime record, as 3 on 3 for the Pens usually leads to odd man rushes and game ending goals for their opponents. Actually, I'm glad they got eliminated and maybe that will put more pressure on the organization for changes. Sadly for Sid and long time Pens fans it doesn't look like the Pens have the assets to make a serious cup run during the remainder of Sid's career.

I'm not too keen on the GM either. From what I saw this season Karlsson is a bust. In the recent OT game there were two Pens behind the goalie in the defensive zone and Karlsson leaves the front of the net to go help and the other team gets the puck to a wide open man in front of the Pens goalie. This is a high school hockey level mistake. It's just back hockey from an undisciplined player. Oh, then Karlsson score in OT to get the win. He needs to go. The Pens need players that know how to play basic responsible hockey. Good teams don't make those types of mistakes, let alone in games that are basically sudden death in ending their season. These types of mistakes are regular occurances for the Pens and why even as a long time fan I had a hard time watching them this season. And their poor defensive responsibility shows up big in their overtime record, as 3 on 3 for the Pens usually leads to odd man rushes and game ending goals for their opponents. Actually, I'm glad they got eliminated and maybe that will put more pressure on the organization for changes. Sadly for Sid and long time Pens fans it doesn't look like the Pens have the assets to make a serious cup run during the remainder of Sid's career.
I agree. The Pens need to dump everything and everyone. Its over. Sid has at least earned the right to stick around but make it clear the team needs to reset.

The Pens D is bad. Karlsson and Letang are more offensive zone players that happen to play D. You need very good defensive defenseman to play with them to make up for their freelance play.

To do it right, it's going to a long few years in Pittsburgh. To top it off, the Steelers aren't much better and need a reset as well. Sadly the best hope is the Pirates, who at least seem to be trending up.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The thread probably spent 90 percent of the season playing the wrong system with really old slow posters, but figured it out just in time to blow a game to Boston, then got deleted, like the Penguins themselves.

Reactions: PAgeologist
The GM said he made trades to bring in guys that fit Sully’s system. Big mistake.

Sullivan is far too offensive minded. Doesn’t like physical play. Had no one to park in front the net, to hammer opponents, and punish anyone talking shots at the top players.

He needs to can Sully and get more physical. The days of flightless Pens flying past opponents are long gone.

Reactions: PAgeologist
The GM said he made trades to bring in guys that fit Sully’s system. Big mistake.

Sullivan is far too offensive minded. Doesn’t like physical play. Had no one to park in front the net, to hammer opponents, and punish anyone talking shots at the top players.

He needs to can Sully and get more physical. The days of flightless Pens flying past opponents are long gone.

You can't have it both ways. Sully refuses to change his system and was losing games trying to play fast with a slow team. You either completely revamp the personnel with faster players, or you fire Sully. But if you run out the same nostalgia act for the past two years, again next year, you are sitting home next May just like the past two. Geno was skating in cement all year, I think at the very least, you move on from Malkin. Carter too.

If Pens don't start the rebuilding process now, it will be a long road back to the top. Will be like San Jose for a few years or even Buffalo or Detroit.

If Pens don't start the rebuilding process now, it will be a long road back to the top. Will be like San Jose for a few years or even Buffalo or Detroit.
Or it will be like the Pens, pre Sid and gang. Which is why they got all those players. And is what needs to happen again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT