ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to nectarines?

Your brain works in mysterious ways, my friend. On an unrelated note, The Other Woman in the segment is the marble rye lady from Seinfeld
What can I say, I had a kick ass Grandma. It was either the Golden Girls or SNL, if it wasn't a Penn State football Saturday.

Followed by countless games of "Crazy 8's", peanut butter pretzels and unlimited Coca Cola Classic..... The kind you used to have delivered to the house...in the tall glass bottles, they replaced your empties without even ordering. My grandparents drank soda from noon til they went to bed.. haha

Football Saturdays on the "davenport" in Muncy PA were where my love for the Nits began. Wouldn't be nearly as obsessed if it wasn't for Gram and Grandpa. RIP

Produce bought at grocery stores (out of season at markets too) has been picked earlier and earlier and artificially ‘ripened’. This process makes the outside color look right but the inside is still not as ripe.

What it does is makes the fruit last longer on the shelf (probably) keeping cost down. You can still get good ones in season at smaller stores/markets.

On a related note those apples you buy at the big box grocery store are pretty old.... I’m talking 9 months to a year at least in a lot of cases.....

Haven't had a good one in 20 years.
Used to have intense flavor - now just tasteless and hard as a rock.
Store managers give me a blank look when I ask.

Also....
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Try the white nectarines at Wegmans if you have one nearby. California product that is seasonal, but they had them last week. My daughter was visiting and I could not keep them on hand, she ate em and soon as they arrived.

What can I say, I had a kick ass Grandma. It was either the Golden Girls or SNL, if it wasn't a Penn State football Saturday.

Followed by countless games of "Crazy 8's", peanut butter pretzels and unlimited Coca Cola Classic..... The kind you used to have delivered to the house...in the tall glass bottles, they replaced your empties without even ordering. My grandparents drank soda from noon til they went to bed.. haha

Football Saturdays on the "davenport" in Muncy PA were where my love for the Nits began. Wouldn't be nearly as obsessed if it wasn't for Gram and Grandpa. RIP
Was your grandmother Judy from Muncy?

Follow up question...
What happened to tomatoes? Those in grocery stores taste like cardboard.

They are picked while green, shipped in a truck that is hot boxed with ethylene, so they show up red when they get to the store. They aren’t actually ripe though, that’s why they have no flavor.

Your brain works in mysterious ways, my friend. On an unrelated note, The Other Woman in the segment is the marble rye lady from Seinfeld

Here is a fun fact about Golden Girls.

Estelle Getty (Sophia) played Bea Aruthur's (Dorothy) mother on Golden Girls. Bea Aurthur is actually older than Estelle Getty.

Bea Aurther b. May 13, 1922

Estelle Getty b. July 25, 1923

Reactions: NittanyLion15
Don't buy tomatoes in the grocery store. Or nectarines
I grow my own tomatoes. They taste soooooo much better. For some unknown reason I am not having a great growing season. They taste great but the amount of tomatoes growing is down.

Last edited:

Follow up question...
What happened to tomatoes? Those in grocery stores taste like cardboard.

Some of it has to do with genetic modifications, but I think a lot of the flavor is taken away when the fruit is picked when no fully ripe and allowed to ripen on it's way to the grocery store. As others have suggested, buy fruit and vegetables from farmers markets and make sure they are locally grown. Vendors at farmers markets can also sell unripe/GMO fruit and veggies.

I grow my on tomatoes. They taste soooooo much better. For some unknown reason I am not have a great growing season. They taste great but the amount of tomatoes growing is down.
Exactly. I mean, I wasn't trying to break balls on the OP too much, but tomatoes, basil ... you can even grow stuff like that on the window ledge of a studio apt in the city. And like you said, the taste difference is immense. If you don't do that, at least hit a farmer's market. If you don't do either, don't complain.

Reactions: LionJim
Most of the tomatoes in grocery stores are shipped in which means they are picked green or just as they get a red tinge of color. They also are a variety that ships well meaning they are harder then varieties that are grown to be field ripened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT