ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Northwestern football?

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
Wasn't that many years ago that NW was a force in B1G west. Everybody respects Fitz, and NW raised $100m for a gold-plated training facility on the lakefront.

But instead of getting better they seem to be headed back to the basement. Fitz hasn't recruited a decent quarterback since Thorson (and Thorson was not great) NW got away from their mobile-quarterback offense but they don't recruit well enough at OL to protect a drop back QB. They used to recruit some top flight linebackers and D-linemen but they just don't seem to have the talent any more.

Wasn't that many years ago that NW was a force in B1G west. Everybody respects Fitz, and NW raised $100m for a gold-plated training facility on the lakefront.

But instead of getting better they seem to be headed back to the basement. Fitz hasn't recruited a decent quarterback since Thorson (and Thorson was not great) NW got away from their mobile-quarterback offense but they don't recruit well enough at OL to protect a drop back QB. They used to recruit some top flight linebackers and D-linemen but they just don't seem to have the talent any more.
But Fitz is a coaching genius…I know that because I’ve read it on here.

Last edited:

Northwestern was never "a force"--they had back to back strong years just once (17 & 18)--they'll always going to have really bad years but this year was worse than it should really ever be. They'll probably win 8 or 9 next year or in 2024 but Fitz may have needed to leave around 2019. He should have taken the Bears job in 2018 honestly. Even if he did fail he could have gone back to college football in a second. He'll probably be at Northwestern for the next 2 decades regardless

Long time very successful DC retired 2 years ago. The defense has never been rebuilt.

And he probably will be really happy being there for 2 decades. My sister lived in Evanston for about 10 years working for both Northwestern and then Rotary International who is headquartered there. Fantastic part of a wonderful city. My folks went out for a PSU game during the Gary Barnett era- and ended up in his bar after NW beat the Lions. He showed up late night- big man on campus.

So what happened? He left for Colorado and a paycheck. Didn't deliver...and disappeared. Fitz is a great representative of NW. Understands his limitations and embraces the opportunity. Like Dave Clawson at Wake Forest- with the investment into facilities and a top notch university he will compete from time to time- which will be appreciated by those who remember times like these.

More people should know when to stay on the ride and smell the roses. Fitz is a winner regardless of his record. Stanford, Tulane, Wake, Duke, Rice, Ga Tech and Vandy are his true competitive set....maybe one day they will be in their own D I "Patriot League?"

And he probably will be really happy being there for 2 decades. My sister lived in Evanston for about 10 years working for both Northwestern and then Rotary International who is headquartered there. Fantastic part of a wonderful city. My folks went out for a PSU game during the Gary Barnett era- and ended up in his bar after NW beat the Lions. He showed up late night- big man on campus.

So what happened? He left for Colorado and a paycheck. Didn't deliver...and disappeared. Fitz is a great representative of NW. Understands his limitations and embraces the opportunity. Like Dave Clawson at Wake Forest- with the investment into facilities and a top notch university he will compete from time to time- which will be appreciated by those who remember times like these.

More people should know when to stay on the ride and smell the roses. Fitz is a winner regardless of his record. Stanford, Tulane, Wake, Duke, Rice, Ga Tech and Vandy are his true competitive set....maybe one day they will be in their own D I "Patriot League?"
That's all fair--selfishly I hope Fitz stays at NW forever I just, also selfishly, would have loved to have seen him get a chance to run Notre Dame, Penn State or an NFL team. He does a great (most years) with less talent.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
They had a ton of 5th and 6th year players in 2020. I think that messed up their development. And NIL and the transfer portal don't help teams like Northwestern & Stanford.

Reactions: sss and bison13
They had a ton of 5th and 6th year players in 2020. I think that messed up their development. And NIL and the transfer portal don't help teams like Northwestern & Stanford.
Yes, they have lost a 1st round defensive player each of the last two years to the portal. A saftey to ND playing this year and a DB last year). NW has only one or two of those players with that level of talent on that team, and losing them changes some of those one score games that were Ws to Ls. If Fitz ever wanted to seriously compete for anything other than a B10 West crown he would have left by now. The portal, as it is now, is only going to make it that much harder.

How significant is "being a force in the big ten west", reallY

ADVERTISEMENT