ADVERTISEMENT

What are you binge watching?

My wife and finished up the Soprano's last month on HBO go. Now staying in place, we just finished Ozarks on Netflix, which I highly recommend, and prior to that, Hunters on Amazon (another good one).

We tried one of those Game of Thrones / Vikings rip offs..... that didn't work, then there was this show set in England about some somewhat attractive gal and her misadventures. That didn't work either. So much so, I don't even know the name. It was on Amazon.

We have at least 8 more days..........
Probably Fleabag.

Reactions: Locolion
Seems that Loki is getting some great reviews.

For anyone watching Loki, curious how it compares to Ragnarok on Netflix.

I’m starting this Belgian Sci Fi Series - Into the Night. Plane in air needs to race the sun which is devastating the earth with gamma ray bursts or something. People on board will be looking for a safe underground bunker or something. It’s gotten good reviews and the 1st ep was solid

So, I've been watching Korean movies for a while. Damn, it's good looking to say the least.
I watch a whole lot of foreign stuff. Stuff I thought I would never get into because you have to deal with the subtitles, and sometimes they are hard to read if the background is white. You end up having to rewind several times every time you watch an hour or so of programming.

But I find the different filming locations interesting, as well as the various small differences in the way people from other countries or cultures conduct themselves or film themselves. I have in particular watched a ton of Korean programming. It's a bit of an acquired taste, but I enjoy it as a change of pace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnighter2
Anyone watch Fleabag? The first few episodes are shocking as female lead is alcoholic wh&re..then you feel sorry for her life...then you cheer for her. Absolutely brilliant dark comedic writing. Not much effort to watch as only a few seasons and 30m. Raally enjoyed it. Kind of like anti-Sex and City but similiar storyline.
Yes. Liked it. Her dark and self denigrating humor is pretty good.

Reactions: Locolion
Agreed. So far during the pandemic, we've watched every season of Doc Martin, and every season of A Place To Call Home. Both of them milk the plot lines for pretty much everything they can, but they are very captivating.
Some of the stuff Doc Martin does is simply cringe inducing. Can't believe a guy that educated could be so socially stunted. But the episode when his parents visit town provides a good explanation why.

someone here @Midnighter2 ? mentioned Peaky blinders. I never watched (until last week) I thought I was about to watch Downton Abbey. Well it isn't Downton Abbey!! I like it, my wife really likes it. Gives me a part of history I had forgotten about. Good watch!!
My wife waxes poetical about Peaky Blinders. Which concerns me, because we have somewhat divergent tastes on movies and television series. But I'll probably watch it at some point.

Last edited:
Finished S1 of Succession. Really, really good. Love the characters and the never ending series of schemes and plotting. Also, Shiv was was giving me major Joan Halloway vibes (in the best way) towards the end of the season. Can’t wait to dig into S2!

sub-buzz-13126-1615324315-1.png

Lupin on Netflix is very good. It’s a French Netflix original with lots of twists and turns.

I’ve heard good things. The other French show I’ve heard a lot about is ‘The Bureau’ on Netflix.

Based on real accounts and inspired by contemporary events, this French spy thriller follows the daily lives and missions of members of the country's external security service -- France's equivalent of the CIA. It focuses on intelligence officer Guillaume Debailly, code named "Malotru," who is mysteriously recalled to Paris after spending six years under cover in Syria. As he tries to re-connect with his daughter, ex-wife and colleagues, Debailly risks everything by resuming contact with his married lover, Nadia, who might have secrets of her own that jeopardize the agent.

Reactions: Delco Lion
I’ve heard good things. The other French show I’ve heard a lot about is ‘The Bureau’ on Netflix.

Based on real accounts and inspired by contemporary events, this French spy thriller follows the daily lives and missions of members of the country's external security service -- France's equivalent of the CIA. It focuses on intelligence officer Guillaume Debailly, code named "Malotru," who is mysteriously recalled to Paris after spending six years under cover in Syria. As he tries to re-connect with his daughter, ex-wife and colleagues, Debailly risks everything by resuming contact with his married lover, Nadia, who might have secrets of her own that jeopardize the agent.

I loved The Bureau. 5 seasons of easy binging. Probably the most binge-able show I have watched since Breaking Bad/Ozark/Narcos, but that could just be me (I don't watch a lot of shows, and I do have an affinity for France, ex-wife was French, so spent a lot of time there).
I think I'll need to try Lupin out soon

I loved The Bureau. 5 seasons of easy binging. Probably the most binge-able show I have watched since Breaking Bad/Ozark/Narcos, but that could just be me (I don't watch a lot of shows, and I do have an affinity for France, ex-wife was French, so spent a lot of time there).
I think I'll need to try Lupin out soon
Where can you find the Bureau?

Virgin River on Netflix. Chick series, kinda Hallmarky, third season just dropped, the missis wanted to watch it again from the beginning. You could do worse.
LOL, Yea its definitely a Hallmark type series. I watched a couple of episodes and while the scenery is gorgeous the story was just too much for me. IMO it wasn't about a small friendly town it was a town full of people that couldn't mind their own damn business. 🤣

Reactions: wlawn and LionJim
Kingdom then now watching Vikings..... pretty good stuff in some what of a chronological order.... The Danes and the Northsmen were brutal. English learned from Romans then these guys.

Ironically, the English (Angles Saxon and Jutes) were ravaged by those (the Danes) who came from pretty much the same area that the "English" had come from when they invaded and ravaged against the Celtic Britons.

IBut I find the different filming locations interesting, as well as the various small differences in the way people from other countries or cultures conduct themselves or film themselves. I have in particular watched a ton of Korean programming. It's a bit of an acquired taste, but I enjoy it as a change of pace.

Don't think it's an acquired taste so much as there are many different genres (crime based dramas, romcoms, historical, horror, etc.).

For an easy entrance-way, highly recommend Kingdom (Netflix) - 2 seasons thus far and each season is only 6 eps long.

Set shortly after the Imjin War with Japan.

While the fact that it has zombies gets the most attention, it's much more about the palace machinations/power struggles among the humans

For another Korean zombie project, also highly recommend the film - Train to Busan.

Again, more about the dynamics between humans.

Anybody watch, "Hand of God" I think it's called? Looks pretty good and out there all at the same time..

My wife and finished up the Soprano's last month on HBO go. Now staying in place, we just finished Ozarks on Netflix, which I highly recommend, and prior to that, Hunters on Amazon (another good one).

We tried one of those Game of Thrones / Vikings rip offs..... that didn't work, then there was this show set in England about some somewhat attractive gal and her misadventures. That didn't work either. So much so, I don't even know the name. It was on Amazon.

We have at least 8 more days..........
Mr. Inbetween on Fx / Hulu is Awesome. All he wants is Respect!

The League…again. It lost some juice towards end IMO, but first several seasons were so good and funny.

The League…again. It lost some juice towards end IMO, but first several seasons were so good and funny.
On a Hulu kick lately: ‘What we do in the Shadows’ was really very comical. Now on to ‘Pen15’ - also funny!

Reactions: BBrown
It was excellent.

What’s also great about Marvel is even though they can just get ‘anyone’ to do something like voice Miss Minutes, they instead get the most well known and prominent voice actor working today - Tara Strong - to do it.

Loki season finale was awesome. That is all.
I wanted to wait a week or so before posting this so if you haven't seen the final Loki yet or started it, stop reading now..........

Jonathan Majors was excellent. Really looking forward to seeing more of him in the next Antman and Wasp movie and The Harder They Fall. The guy is very talented.

Again, that was a good rec. Started season 3 today. Studio Canal puts out some pretty good films and originals.

I wanted to wait a week or so before posting this so if you haven't seen the final Loki yet or started it, stop reading now..........

Jonathan Majors was excellent. Really looking forward to seeing more of him in the next Antman and Wasp movie and The Harder They Fall. The guy is very talented.

Yeah; he was a pleasant surprise and was perfect casting (Marvel hasn’t missed since Disney bought them IMO); he’ll likely get a chance to show his range with multiple versions of Kang going forward. Scary to think he will make Thanos look like small fries. I love this fan artwork…

79ff01ee70d03f31f1c2066534d77dfa.jpg

Mr. Inbetween on Fx / Hulu is Awesome. All he wants is Respect!
Yes, this series is fantastic.

Series finale just occurred last week -- sad to see it go, but a very well done three seasons.

And I thought the ending was near perfect.

Reactions: auxgym
Yeah; he was a pleasant surprise and was perfect casting (Marvel hasn’t missed since Disney bought them IMO); he’ll likely get a chance to show his range with multiple versions of Kang going forward. Scary to think he will make Thanos look like small fries. I love this fan artwork…

79ff01ee70d03f31f1c2066534d77dfa.jpg
A fan did that? Excellent.
He was also the voice of the 3 time keepers in the episode before the last one.
And I liked him as that "variant".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT