ADVERTISEMENT

What’s the end result of the season ?

fizzyskittles

Mar 14, 2018
in 1992 PSU started with some high expectations and limped to the gate with I believe a 7-5 record . The Miami game really seemed to take the air out of our sails.
In 1993 I really Dick Vermiel saying that Penn State’s passing game suck on a nationally televised game if you recall. John Saca was pulled, Kerry Collins put in who still played pretty poorly.
Sacca transferred , Collins got it together against Rutgers and PSU sailed from that point.
So where do we end up fair to maybe mediocre ? Formidable? I really don’t have a clue at this point. I will say if Clifford was on for two of those early bombs PSU wins easily.
So does his accuracy improve? Do the drops become catches ? Does Cain become the man? I have no idea.

Reactions: GregInPitt
i just going to type this down and not explain anything 26.5 ppg will be our average the rest of the season.

in 1992 PSU started with some high expectations and limped to the gate with I believe a 7-5 record . The Miami game really seemed to take the air out of our sails.
In 1993 I really Dick Vermiel saying that Penn State’s passing game suck on a nationally televised game if you recall. John Saca was pulled, Kerry Collins put in who still played pretty poorly.
Sacca transferred , Collins got it together against Rutgers and PSU sailed from that point.
So where do we end up fair to maybe mediocre ? Formidable? I really don’t have a clue at this point. I will say if Clifford was on for two of those early bombs PSU wins easily.
So does his accuracy improve? Do the drops become catches ? Does Cain become the man? I have no idea.

No one really knows. I could make a case for 10-2, but a much better one for 8-4. I will split the difference and guess we will finish 9-3.

I look at making 2-3 more plays in the first half and being up 24,31-10 and rolling with a better played game.
Of course we lost to Pitt in 2016 got hammered by Michigan with a depleted defense, barely got by Minnesota , then rolled .

I still think this team could go 11-1 or 10-2.

In the preseason, I thought 11-1. Since then (albeit in the early going), Ohio State and Iowa have looked better than I thought, and Michigan has looked worse. Minnesota, Michigan State, and Maryland have been about what I thought they would be so far. I’m probably leaning more towards 10-2 right now, but I still think our defense is good enough to play with any team on the schedule and put us in a position to win against anyone in the conference.

We saw Clifford play his worst game so far yesterday - if he responds well, learns from it, and some of those deep balls go from overthrows to catchable balls, we’ll have an offense. Really like what we’ve seen from Journey and Cain at running back, and we could go a long way if we have those two splitting more of the carries.

3-0 with a young team and a bye week to clean things up. I choose to remain optimistic. Right now we would have a difficult time beating Ohio State, but no one else on our schedule looks unbeatable.

Hard to see how we don’t lose to OSU, UM, MSU and at least one other the way we’re playing. Amazing how quickly the season prospects became bleak. I guess Joel Klatt had it right all along

Clifford was not very accurate on anything over 15 yards yesterday, particularly on the longest throws. And with virtually no wind I don't understand it. As the game went on, and as Clifford endured the severe pounding he got due to the continued failure of the OL to improve on pass blocking, I can understand his failures on the long throws as each time he let it go the contact was either being already absorbed or it was inches away.

I agree that Cain is our best RB, or at worst in a tie with JB. Slade is not the answer, and it is great to have another high talent RB in Ford that is young, shows flashes, and will get stronger and be a true impact RB in 2020 and beyond.

For this offense to explode I believe we need the OL to get better and for Shorter and George to be impact WR's. Teams will try and take away Hamler and Freiermuth, and Dotson and the rest have to step up and make plays.

I'm not giving up on the OL for this season just yet, although if recent history repeats itself we likely won't see dramatic improvement. But I still can remember OL's in years past that only really came together around the midseason point. Gotta have HOPE!!

Last edited:
Reactions: fizzyskittles
Looking at the big other then osu I see no world beaters so nine or ten wins sounds about right.Next game should answer a lot of questions

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT