ADVERTISEMENT

What’s going on with Clifford?

He reminds me of Hack - poor pocket awareness, mobility is average at best, and can’t hit the broad side of a barn with his passes most of the time. His arm strength is not at the same level, though. To me, Hack like play is his ceiling.
Agreed. Although Clifford has regressed a bit, mostly due to a lack of talent around him, he was not that good last year. We need to be better at QB than Sean Clifford. Is Levis the answer? I don't know, maybe. We definitely don't want to go back to Clifford, no bright future there.

Couldn’t disagree any more strongly. He has regressed. One could argue his confidence has been shaken because of the players you referenced not helping to bail him out, but his carelessness with the ball, horrific pocket awareness & missing wide open receivers is a clear sign of regression.
My point was that the supporting cast is lesser this year. Consequently he is trying to be a playmaker which he is not. The more risk he takes to make a play the more likely it is that he screws up because he is not very good. He was careless with the ball, lacked pocket awareness and was inaccurate last season. Nothing's changed with him other than the supporting cast of skill players.

In as much as I agree, there was a little more to it. BOB kinda sorta didn't leave the kitchen well stocked (specifically, think OL).

The line was in a lot better shape than most think. The fact that individually and as a group they rated above average in 2014 on plays where they used man blocking proves it. They weren't great but they weren't the train wreck people think. The offensive staff's coaching was the train wreck. Donovan forced a kitchen sink approach to blocking. Zone, gap, sliding protections and a little bit of man. They played well when they man blocked, not so well when they used zone, and fell apart when they tried to slide protections. 85% coaching, 15% talent.

My point was that the supporting cast is lesser this year. Consequently he is trying to be a playmaker which he is not. The more risk he takes to make a play the more likely it is that he screws up because he is not very good. He was careless with the ball, lacked pocket awareness and was inaccurate last season. Nothing's changed with him other than the supporting cast of skill players.
He had 7 picks in 13 games last year & no strip sack fumbles returned for TD’s. I’d also say that for at least 4-5 games last year, he was not fully healthy. This year, apparently while totally healthy, 6 picks in 4 games & 2 strip sack fumbles for TD’s. But here’s the thing...his picks have been horrible throws. We’re not talking about defenders making outstanding plays on any of them. Receivers were open n most of his picks. Regardless of the change in cast around him, it’s inarguable that he’s taken a step back.

What evidence

A ton. Go watch the 2013 season. He was a true freshmen learning an NFL offense. He made strides every week, carried the team when he had to. He very much looked like a future pro in most games. He had a couple of rough games but matched what McGloin did the year before in most culminating in the game against Wisconsin which was the best game I have ever seen a Penn State quarterback play, and that includes Kerry Collins. I am not the only Penn State that thinks so. In 2014, he was rock solid early until Donovan's idiocy took hold then regressed under him and Rahne to the point where was less developed in his last game in blue and white than he was prior to his first. Regardless, he is the only reason 14 and 15 didn't end in 3 win seasons. He was also the reason whey Joe Moorhead agreed to come to Happy Valley before getting sick of Franklin's nonsense and leaving early.

A ton. Go watch the 2013 season. He was a true freshmen learning an NFL offense. He made strides every week, carried the team when he had to. He very much looked like a future pro in most games. He had a couple of rough games but matched what McGloin did the year before in most culminating in the game against Wisconsin which was the best game I have ever seen a Penn State quarterback play, and that includes Kerry Collins. I am not the only Penn State that thinks so. In 2014, he was rock solid early until Donovan's idiocy took hold then regressed under him and Rahne to the point where was less developed in his last game in blue and white than he was prior to his first. Regardless, he is the only reason 14 and 15 didn't end in 3 win seasons. He was also the reason whey Joe Moorhead agreed to come to Happy Valley before getting sick of Franklin's nonsense and leaving early.
Still played well enough to be a second rd draft choice
There’s not an assistant football coach in this nation that would not leave to become a HC in the SEC. lol. Left because he was sick of CJF non sense. Hell CJF made him

Reactions: OhioLion
Agreed. Although Clifford has regressed a bit, mostly due to a lack of talent around him, he was not that good last year. We need to be better at QB than Sean Clifford. Is Levis the answer? I don't know, maybe. We definitely don't want to go back to Clifford, no bright future there.
Levis is most certainly not the answer.

He had 7 picks in 13 games last year & no strip sack fumbles returned for TD’s. I’d also say that for at least 4-5 games last year, he was not fully healthy. This year, apparently while totally healthy, 6 picks in 4 games & 2 strip sack fumbles for TD’s. But here’s the thing...his picks have been horrible throws. We’re not talking about defenders making outstanding plays on any of them. Receivers were open n most of his picks. Regardless of the change in cast around him, it’s inarguable that he’s taken a step back.
The last 4 games in 2019 he had 4 ints. And he had a solid run game. He was bad last year and he's bad this year. Last year he played in an offense and wrs he was familiar with. And he struggled against decent teams. There are several arguments as to why his skill level didn't regress. Again, I see it differently than you. But I think we agree that his time as the starter should be over.

Yeah, agree. Is this like the 2003 season of 3-9 which was followed in 2004 by a 4-7 season?

Or like the 2004 season which was followed by 11-1 in 2005?

One thing to watch -- the 2004 team got things on the right track late with a key goal line stand to win at Indiana and then a blowout win over Michigan State to finish.
Good chance we start the year 1-2 and that doesn't include later games at Iowa, at Michigan State, at Maryland, and at Ohio State. While the 2021 edition of PSU football might be dramatically different than the 2020 edition, it's hard to see (only) a 1 or 2 loss season next year.

I think people are generally being unfair to Clifford. Part of it is perception as almost every criticism lobbed at Clifford could be applied to Trace. Trace was a fan favorite, Clifford is not. The big thing though was Franklin set impossibly high expectations for this year when he lied time and again after hiring Ciarrocca by saying he would evolve the offense. You don't evolve a college spread offense to a pro-style offense with a west coast passing game, especially without spring ball, and a disjointed off season and no cupcake out of conference schedule to evaluate what works and what doesn't work in a safe environment.

1. Ricky Rahne has been his QB coach for two years. His mechanics and footwork are not good and need to be overhauled. This is Rahne's doing and it may not be repairable during his career. Rahne really is that bad of a QB coach.

2. Rahne ran JoeMo's offense essentially unchanged from 2017 which means the QB has all of two decisions to make after the ball is snapped. No progressions. No third options. That is it. Joe Moorhead gutted the passing game in 2016 going into the Minnesota game to suit a average dual threat QB. Clifford is now trying to learn a west coast passing offense for the first time while attempting to self correct his footwork and mechanics.

3. Our receivers are not good. The ceiling is low across the board for all three starters. Defenses are generally able to cover all three with cover 1 and cover 0 with little to fear as the receivers cannot get separation despite improved technique from what we have seen in the past.

4. We are on our fourth string running back.

5. Pry's defense continues to take incremental steps back (which mirror the gradual degradation in talent across the board) each and every year.

Dotson is a very good receiver and Clifford missed him by a mile when he was wide open. Didn’t see the Maryland strip sack for a TD since I don’t get the BTN. The strip sack yesterday was pathetic. He saw the guy was going to sack him and he simply did not secure the ball. He also failed to see that Strange was open by 10 yards in the end zone when he had all day to throw. I acknowledge that the changes and lack of spring ball has an affect, but he has not played well period. He was expected to be the leader on the team

SC is not comfortable in this offense. You could see it in the first game and it has not gotten any better. He is tentative, lacks confidence in himself and his offensive team mates as a whole. When there is an open receiver he throws trying not to make a mistake rather then throwing with confidence. It’s a bit of a mess right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT